• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Acidote

Believe it or not, Pedro de la Rosa is one of the fittest guys there despite his age. He's crazy with his exercise routines. At least he was back then when he was in McLaren.

One thing is certain, McLaren certainly keep their drivers fit.

wat

YdmQT.png

Leunam

That just proves my theory that Perez was just a rebound decision and McLaren didn't really prepare a proper replacement in case Hamilton decided to leave.

I hope Perez does well so I stand by McLaren signing him. He may not be as fit at Button and Hamilton but he's not inactive either. Sauber does put its drivers to work during winter.

Chavez won, so no. He's actually been worse the less aggressive he has been. He needs to find a balance.

Definitely. Despite how people feel about him, there is not doubt he can be pretty damned quick.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Oh man,

Just not recouping from my first ever GP.

Tons of fun at the track, really loved it.

The city did a bang up job of getting people out there, I hit no traffic most of the way and got to the track in under an hour and home in under 2 using the bussing system.

Race was a lot of fun, though only 1 pass in my section (T4) with Kimi going god mode and passing on the outside of Button.

Great time, can't wait till next year when the track is more finished.

duckroll

McLaren say new driver Sergio Perez is facing 'hard winter'

Ouch...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20403485

Lol. Poor guy? Well, I dunno about that. Maybe in the short term. He's going to get paid well and he's going to a top team, he better not fuck it up for his own sake. Seems like he's lacking in fitness, hasn't had the experience of being in a tough top team before, and isn't having the best end of the season at Sauber right now. Hopefully he shapes up by next season, or McLaren might have egg on their faces especially after all the shit Whitmash has been saying about Hamilton lately.

FuturusX

The problem for Perez is going to be the overblown expectations. He's going to be filling some very big shoes. In reality Button is now the number 1 driver - the actual replacement for Lewis - with Perez one for the future.

It should be viewed as a classic 1 & 2 setup. I could be wrong, but Perez is not going to suddenly become the mature driver that the team desires in the space of one winter training and testing. Hamilton was raised by Mclaren and essentially lived in the simulator the transition to a top professional contract was an easier one.

Good luck to the lad and I hoped to be proved wrong, but Mclaren go into next season with one top driver in the second tier of top drivers, behind Alonso / Vettel / Hamilton and a rookie. A strange position for a team of it's size and history.

DD

Tense!

With that said though, the alternators are likely to be under far less stress if it's cold there.

The thing is: Interlagos is the highest circuit of the F1 (so the air is thinner), and has the longest "straight", and knowing that the RBRs and the Maccas aren't reliable as the Ferraris...

FuturusX

The thing is: Interlagos is the highest circuit of the F1 (so the air is thiner), and has the longest "straight", and knowing that the RBRs and the Maccas aren't reliable as the Ferraris...

I can't condone wishing reliability issues for any driver or team too much work goes into making these beasts run well. The engineering team mechanics and staff sweat blood to get the car to do the impossible.

But if a certain car does go belly up...I aint gonna cry :)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Red Bull won in Brazil in last 3 seasons, so I think that they will have no problem, sans alternator gremlins. But they will probably attack Mark's car, 'cause he is handsome fo' sure

Red Bull won in Brazil in last 3 seasons, so I think that they will have no problem, sans alternator gremlins. But they will probably attack Mark's car, 'cause he is handsome fo' sure

Barring a miracle I doubt the Redbull (vettel) will have any trouble finishing on the podium. At least we're in for a potential great last race with the rain.

Sunhi, I think your PM box is full?

If you want something as a thank you for letting me nick your Sky ID this year, be it more cash or the season review Blu Ray or something, let me know! Really appreciate it and it always helps to sweeten you up for next year too. ;)

I have most races already saved on my HDD, and I wouldn't be comfortable taking cash, no one else I know has any need for skygo so it's not really a problem giving away the ID ;)

Ark

Perez was the best choice for McLaren outside of Paffet.

Di Resta hasn't been as spectacular as Perez has been this year and no one on the grid comes close to equalling Hamilton (other than Vettel and Alonso ofc) so their best bet was to make Button de-facto number one and hire a rookie ala 2008-09. If Perez turns out to be great, fantastic. If Perez turns out to be an overhyped disappointment, sack him.

Forgot about Kimi, but he's tied up with Lotus.

Di Resta hasn't been as spectacular as Perez has been this year and no one on the grid comes close to equalling Hamilton (other than Vettel and Alonso ofc) so their best bet was to make Button de-facto number one and hire a rookie ala 2008-09. If Perez turns out to be great, fantastic. If Perez turns out to be an overhyped disappointment, sack him.

Apparently they approached him, but no one knows what happened there. So I'm assuming Kimi turned them down as I'm sure they were desperate

I dare say Hulkenberg was a safest choice, but from his glimmers of excellence, Perez is perhaps the better gamble.

I dare say Hulkenberg was a safest choice, but from his glimmers of excellence, Perez is perhaps the better gamble.

I think Hulk would be a good choice. The thing is you can almost never tell until you give him a good car with a decent teammate for a benchmark.

Having said that, I really hope Perez does well. McLaren look like a lost team for many years now. The last thing they need is two mediocre drivers not taking the team to its full potential. And its not like they can't afford good drivers

Ark

It's not like the drivers aren't utilising the team's full potential. It's the team not utilising the team's full potential.

Adamm

Didnt they announce this the other week on one of the race build ups, they did piece with murray walker & everything on him - why is it only on the website now?

or did i imagine all this?

Didnt they announce this the other week on one of the race build ups, they did piece with murray walker & everything on him - why is it only on the website now?

or did i imagine all this?

No they did, I remember watching the build up to one of the BBC races and they played the piece showing Senna as their number 1 before they even announced Fangio as no.2 on the site.

Adamm

No they did, I remember watching the build up to one of the BBC races and they played the piece showing Senna as their number 1 before they even announced Fangio as no.2 on the site.

So I'm not going crazy, sweet!

This weekend will be schumahcers last ever race (for real this time!)
And probably Kobayashi's also :(

I have most races already saved on my HDD, and I wouldn't be comfortable taking cash, no one else I know has any need for skygo so it's not really a problem giving away the ID ;)

Alright, if you insist!

Can't give away cash, madness I say. More money to spoil Lucius with in our civil partnership I guess!

dubc35

So I'm not going crazy, sweet!

I was never a huge Schumi fam when he was with Ferrari but I have enjoyed him with Merc; really wish he would have been able to podium in Canada last year. I hope somehow Kobay is able to stay. What will I name my F1RM team?! (currently Kobayashi's Potato)

I was never a huge Schumi fam when he was with Ferrari but I have enjoyed him with Merc; really wish he would have been able to podium in Canada last year. I hope somehow Kobay is able to stay. What will I name my F1RM team?! (currently Kobayashi's Potato)

Kobayashi's Sushi Bar

Because something like that is probably going to be his next job.

Shaneus

And Petrov's. Do we have a RIP list for this year?

So far, I can think of:
Schumi
Kobay
Petrov

Last year's (from what I can work out):
Trulli
D'Ambrosio
Heidfeld
Buemi
Barricello
Sutil

Ouch.

And Petrov's. Do we have a RIP list for this year?

So far, I can think of:
Schumi
Kobay
Petrov

Last year's (from what I can work out):
Trulli
D'Ambrosio
Heidfeld
Buemi
Barricello
Sutil

Ouch.

Probably Kovalainen too. Caterham has hinted that they will take two pay drivers next year because they lost one place in constructors to Marussia and will lose something like 8 million.

Shaneus

Had no idea Heikki was on the way out, but it makes sense. With him and Petrov, they should've done MUCH better (but to be fair, their car was far below expectations). Or di Resta... I thought he was still going to be with FI for next year? (edit: oh wait, Alguersuari is coming back to replace him, yes?)

Edit: Thank fuck Cucumber is out next season. Made the HRT look even worse than it actually was. And I forgot Alguersuari in my list of axings last year, too.

I'd dearly love for Rubens to come back as well. There's always a small chance that a team could blow everyone's minds and bring him back, but it'd be VERY unlikely :(

I think Force India are in trouble financially? So they'd be on the look out for two pay drivers, I'm predicting Senna and Alguersuari for 2013.

It seems that every team outside of top three (and Mercedes) are in financial trouble. Caterham looking for pay drivers, Williams having two pay drivers and one condition for Bottas was to gain some sponsors (it seems that he has and will have a seat next year), Marussia and HRT of course have pay drivers. There has been rumours that Lotus is too in pretty deep trouble and may take pay driver next year to replace Grosjean...

Shaneus

Jesus christ. Shouldn't that indicate that the FIA should step in and do something? I'm not sure what the funding/salary rules are, but that so many teams are genuinely struggling... something needs to be done.

Jesus christ. Shouldn't that indicate that the FIA should step in and do something? I'm not sure what the funding/salary rules are, but that so many teams are genuinely struggling... something needs to be done.
Yes, we need more cost cutting measures. Mo more winter testing. Only 4 engines per season and 3 more races. Also, no more in season development.

Yes, we need more cost cutting measures. Mo more winter testing. Only 4 engines per season and 3 more races. Also, no more in season development.

Well something needs to be done or F1 is going to be next WRC. First easy measure could be to remove extra funding from Ferrari and give it to everyone. They would do just fine without extra FIA money.

Top Bottom