• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

mblitek

di Resta going!? Nahhhhh, no way! He's staying...but Force India/Vijay is in mucho grande trouble. Should be interesting to see who goes and who comes back from last season.

mblitek

Haha I just came across this:

"If I Were Bernie Ecclestone"

If I was Bernie Ecclestone
I’d let all diffusers be blown!
Upon new engines I’d frown.
I’d keep Schumacher on the grid
and earn me a couple extra quid.

for my sins I would atone
by giving the Nurburgring a loan;
I’d keep a race in Bahrain
and add sprinklers just for rain.

The DRS zone I’d bemoan,
Do the overtake on your own!
With the Pirelli tyres I’d agree
’cause I’d charge for them a higher fee!

If he were to retire, who should replace him?
I’d get New Jersey on the phone
tell them what a mess they have done.
To Austin I would cling
and continue cashing in.

The one thing I would get done
is to get myself a clone,
Then I’d never be overthrown
from my fabulous Formula 1 throne!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Jesus christ. Shouldn't that indicate that the FIA should step in and do something? I'm not sure what the funding/salary rules are, but that so many teams are genuinely struggling... something needs to be done.

Imagine F1 lockdown, NHL style :D

"In fairness it works for Fernando because, lest we forget, when Fernando was with us it was not doing those things that meant that Fernando left us."

http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/436350/Whitmarsh_Not_criticising_Ferrari_but/

Ohohooo...

We all knew that, its good that we hear something about it from McLaren for the first time.

Jesus christ. Shouldn't that indicate that the FIA should step in and do something? I'm not sure what the funding/salary rules are, but that so many teams are genuinely struggling... something needs to be done.

Yes. Allow tobacco sponsorship. I miss those liveries

Serious measures:

1. 75% of TV revenue goes to the teams
2. Allow customer cars
3. Allow F1 to be more accessible to the public (make races available online..etc) to increase interest in the sport. Just imagine if any interested person heard about the sport and want to watch a race. There's no legal or easy way to do that

I don't believe that pure cost cutting measures will work, they will only disadvantage the lower teams further as bigger teams will always find ways to go around those measures

CiSTM

Banned
Hopefully either Toyota or Honda or both comes back..... Toyota definitely has the $$$ to return, not sure about Honda.... They just need to develop a competitive car with all that money....

I think Honda and Toyta are both done with F1 at least for another decade or two. Honda and Toyta had insane budgets and I think Honda had biggest budget during it's last two seasons. Yet they did nothing, well except managed to piss off their Japanese sponsors. Even as engine suppliers they have some bad experience.

BTW did Toyta and Honda have their HQs in Europe or in Japan?

The tone of that says sarcasm but I'm really not sure :/

Next time I'll use sarcasm tags.

I think Honda and Toyta are both done with F1 at least for another decade or two. Honda and Toyta had insane budgets and I think Honda had biggest budget during it's last two seasons. Yet they did nothing, well except managed to piss off their Japanese sponsors. Even as engine suppliers they have some bad experience.

Toyota had their HQ in Germany, iirc.

Shaneus

Serious measures:

1. 75% of TV revenue goes to the teams
2. Allow customer cars
3. Allow F1 to be more accessible to the public (make races available online..etc) to increase interest in the sport. Just imagine if any interested person heard about the sport and want to watch a race. There's no legal or easy way to do that

I don't believe that pure cost cutting measures will work, they will only disadvantage the lower teams further as bigger teams will always find ways to go around those measures
Yeah, cost cutting was the first thing that sprung to mind, I honestly hadn't considered anything else at all. Maybe have the FIA grant the teams more money overall, along with performance bonuses that they get now. Or reduce said performance bonuses but give all teams more money overall so the lesser teams can get more of a leg up (and not have to worry about pay drivers).

Seriously, two or three pay drivers are inevitable, but it looks like there'll be more than ever before for 2013. There's no way that can be a good thing, because a pay driver won't be a pay driver forever.

Joni

Just scratch the three to five least performing teams and divide the money that is freed up like that better. Marussia, Caterham, HRT aren't that important to the future of F1.

The FIA have been trying for quite a long time now to get costs under control. Sadly, teams like Red Bull and Ferrari have stood in the way.

It's really up to the teams to get their shit together now, the FIA can't do anything without their agreement.

Just scratch the three to five least performing teams and divide the money that is freed up like that better. Marussia, Caterham, HRT aren't that important to the future of F1.

They're vital. The success and survival of those teams has essentially been the barometer for F1's viability to the outside world. The fact that HRT are still afloat (although if rumours are true, they might not be by mid-December) is amazing given the difficulties they've faced, and not only that, but they actually manage to qualify on merit. There are plenty of teams in the past who haven't managed that, and even as recently 2008, HRT wouldn't have had a hope of lasting this long.

And how would scrapping five teams and splitting the money up between the rest help? You've just eliminated nearly half the grid, and half of the remaining teams don't even need that money. The sport needs to be protected, and that includes every team that's taking part.

Yeah, cost cutting was the first thing that sprung to mind, I honestly hadn't considered anything else at all. Maybe have the FIA grant the teams more money overall, along with performance bonuses that they get now. Or reduce said performance bonuses but give all teams more money overall so the lesser teams can get more of a leg up (and not have to worry about pay drivers).

Seriously, two or three pay drivers are inevitable, but it looks like there'll be more than ever before for 2013. There's no way that can be a good thing, because a pay driver won't be a pay driver forever.

You're right, that can't end up well. I've always been against pay drivers, but its almost impossible to stop it.

A fairer distribution of money between the teams would help a lot. Long time back I suggested that allt he teams have to ear points going down to the 24th driver.

The current system is unfair for the non-scoring teams, and it doesn't reward reliability.

My suggestion goes like this. Two systems for points one for Constructors and the other for drivers. For the drivers you can keep it as it is, I see no problem with it, but for constructors you hand the first car 24 points (or as many as the registered cars on that year) working it down all the way to 1 point for the 24th place

I think that will be fairer a bit. Imagine if a team puts one of their cars once in 10th place, and both of their cars fail to finish any other race during the whole season. That team will be ranked higher than Marussia, Caterham and HRT.

EDIT: Money at the end of the year goes based on each point scored. The only extra prizes should go to the first 3 teams above their earned points

EDIT2: More upsides if that was implemented:

- Teams will think twice before deliberately taking a penalty, because that it actual money they will lose by losing positions
- Teams, again, will think twice, before retiring a car to benefit from the regulations
- Lower teams will have a better reason to race each other as each point = $$$
- Lower teams will almost have a guaranteed revenue, thus, decreasing their reliance on pay-drivers and can help their quest in F1
- Bigger teams will take a hit in their income so they will have to cut costs themselves instead of impose measures on them (that will limit at least middle teams' expenditure and allow lower teams to catch up in the spending race and create a more level playing field)

I think that will be fairer a bit. Imagine if a team puts one of their cars once in 10th place, and both of their cars fail to finish any other race during the whole season. That team will be ranked higher than Marussia, Caterham and HRT.

If that team only finished one race, Marussia, Caterham and HRT would likely finish ahead of them if you're giving every team points for finishing a race.

You can't increase points distribution like that without inherently devaluing points in the process.

EDIT: Ah, I might have misunderstood what you were trying to say there. Possibly that NOW, if a team just finishes in the points once, that they're out of reach of the bottom three?

Either way, points redistribution at this stage isn't really going to help that much for the reason I gave above. What they really need to do to ensure the sport stays healthy is ensure that its easier for teams with lower budgets to compete and earn their results themselves.

If that team only finished one race, Marussia, Caterham and HRT would likely finish ahead of them if you're giving every team points for finishing a race.

You can't increase points distribution like that without inherently devaluing points in the process.

EDIT: Ah, I might have misunderstood what you were trying to say there. Possibly that NOW, if a team just finishes in the points once, that they're out of reach of the bottom three?

Either way, points redistribution at this stage isn't really going to help that much for the reason I gave above. What they really need to do to ensure the sport stays healthy is ensure that its easier for teams with lower budgets to compete and earn their results themselves.

Thats exactly what MJ-Project is about. to take more money from the top teams and fairly distribute it to lower teams. Check my EDITs above

Klocker

Red Bull will use new-spec alternator

Renault will switch Red Bull on to its newest specification of alternator for the championship decider in Brazil following Mark Webber's failure in the United States Grand Prix.

Webber suffered Red Bull's third alternator failure in a race this year at Austin, dropping him out of third position. That problem prompted concerns from the team about that area of the car, which has left engine partner Renault in no doubt that Red Bull must switch to the newer spec for this weekend's Interlagos showdown.

Renault's head of trackside operations Remi Taffin said about the plans for Brazil: "It is very simple. We go for the new spec. It has passed all the tests."

I think Honda had biggest budget during it's last two seasons.

Must have spent a pretty penny.

I'd love to read a book on the RA109 project, I've read on various F1 forums that they spent two years developing it (Honda Racing, Honda, Super Aguri and Dome) using six wind tunnels and blew over a billion dollars.

If that's true then it's no wonder Mercedes have gone back to the pre-Brawn days and are absolute shit. Honda went insane.

Shaneus

ahahahahaha

Alonso WDC 2012 confirmed
Bahahaha. This made me laugh.

1353335883.jpg

Look at that. Even after a DNF, just stands there, like a boss.

The thing I don't get about the alternator issue is that after Vettel's second DNF, didn't they switch back to the 2011 alternator (which had never given them any problems)? And if that's the case, doesn't this latest failure imply that there's something else that's unique to the 2012 car that's causing these issues?

Kimi's F1.com interview

Q: What keeps you awake at night?
Kimi Raikkonen: Nothing keeps me awake. I have the ability to sleep well, wherever I am.

Q: If you could banish one thing from your life - for the rest of your life - what would that be?
KR: There is nothing to be banished.

Q: What’s been your most valuable life lesson?
KR: Never give up.

Q: What do you admire?
KR: Those boys from 1960s and early ‘70s in F1. Drivers made from steel in cars made of wood.

.... more in the link

The thing I don't get about the alternator issue is that after Vettel's second DNF, didn't they switch back to the 2011 alternator (which had never given them any problems)? And if that's the case, doesn't this latest failure imply that there's something else that's unique to the 2012 car that's causing these issues?

They ran out of 2011 alternators and switched back to the standard 2012 spec. Next time they'll be using a different 2012 spec that other teams have been using.

Probably less powerful, but then Vettel doesn't need to win, he just needs to finish in the top 5.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like HRT are done for. Reports coming out of Spain saying the HQ has been closed up and all staff laid off.
Can't say I'll miss them.

Klocker

Force India set for $80 million boost

The Force India F1 team has been given a boost ahead of the 2013 season with the approval of a $80 million investment program, according to the team.

Force India boss Vijay Mallya said the squad's board met in India after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and approved the program, which will mean Force India will invest heavily in new technology to boost the design team for the coming seasons. The team looks set to finish the 2012 season in seventh position in the constructors' championship, having scored 99 points ahead of the final race in Brazil.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Some rumblings from Finnish media that Lotus cannot pay salaries until they get FIA money for this year...

Some rumblings from Finnish media that Lotus cannot pay salaries until they get FIA money for this year...

Really shame considering how great work they have done this year with their car. Grosjean is going to cost them a lot of money... with more constant second driver they could be in second place in constructors.

DD

Shit, oh shit, oh shit...

So, Sao Paulo's contract with the F1 ends in 2014, and beeing an old track, Interlagos doesn't offer much space and confort for the teams. So, Bernie went to Santa Catarina (a southern state) to take a look on the project of a new track by Herman Tilke, on a huge theme park called Beto Carrero World.

Here's the monster:

IMG_20111209_00073_1.jpg

There's a project for a new paddock in Interlagos, on the back straight. C'mon Sao Paulo, make it happen! =c

Foshy

So, Sao Paulo's contract with the F1 ends in 2014, and beeing an old track, Interlagos doesn't offer much space and confort for the teams. So, Bernie went to Santa Catarina (a southern state) to take a look on the project of a new track by Herman Tilke, on a huge theme park called Beto Carrero World.

Here's the monster:

IMG_20111209_00073_1.jpg

There's a project for a new paddock in Interlagos, on the back straight. C'mon Sao Paulo, make it happen! =c

Yup, looks like a Tilke track

Adamm

Here's the monster:

IMG_20111209_00073_1.jpg

That doesnt look too bad...

But not to replace Interlagos! :(

S. L.

Toyota Motorsport is in Germany, but their current mission is to win Le Mans (which doesn't look that unlikely)

Didnt RBR already clinch the constructors title this past Sunday? How come I'm not seeing any articles or photos of them partying and destroying hotel rooms in Texas? :p

Forecast seems to be changing a bit. Still showing rain on Sunday but is now just cloudy on Saturday rather than hardcore thunderstorms.

Can be good news for the Lotuses

Looks like HRT are done for. Reports coming out of Spain saying the HQ has been closed up and all staff laid off.
Can't say I'll miss them.

Sad. Not surprising though.. Customer cars really need to happen

Really shame considering how great work they have done this year with their car. Grosjean is going to cost them a lot of money... with more constant second driver they could be in second place in constructors.

I just said that in another forum. His stupid shenanigans is costing the team big money. Get Prupose and his cash, or even Senna back, he got a couple of millions with him and at least he finishes races.

If that's really the case then I can't imagine that Grosjean has a chance of staying next year. Poor guy.

Fuck him big time. I hate him even more now.. Talent means nothing if it will end up costing the team that much.

Hahaha @ Hulkenburg! Watch FI challenge for 3rd/4th place in 2013/14. The results will probably affect their mid-season performance more. Actually, who knows, it could be right away if it allows the team to buy new equipment, staff, more iterations etc.

They can swoop the entire Lotus technical staff, and maybe Kimi on the road

Top Bottom