• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Hahaha @ Hulkenburg! Watch FI challenge for 3rd/4th place in 2013/14. The results will probably affect their mid-season performance more. Actually, who knows, it could be right away if it allows the team to buy new equipment, staff, more iterations etc.

Money doesn't do anything if you don't use it wisely. We had enough examples on this page. Sauber probably had a much smaller budget than FI and they had a good development during the season.

Right after saying how proud he was about his achievements in that team.

“It is incredible how time flies and for us to get to Brazil for the last race of the season, after everything we’ve achieved, makes me very proud,” says the Spaniard, who made a second full-time Formula 1 comeback by signing for the now Madrid-based outfit.

“The race in Brazil is always a very special Grand Prix, not only because of the track’s layout but also for the Formula 1 history and the fans…the weather and possible showers can also play an important role in the race’s outcome; if that would be the case, we will be ready to take our chances.

“It is the last race of the season and we will do our best to achieve a good result. It would be something fantastic to do, not only for the whole team that has worked so hard throughout the year, but also for the fans that have been an amazing support this season
.”

It looks like *the* Tilke track. I swear it's just him putting in the same parameters in some video game that auto generates tracks based on certain specs.

Straights: 47%
Curves: 46%
Hairpins: 7%
Curve radius variation: ±0%
Elevation change: ±0%

I think Gran Turismo 5 would generate better tracks.

Shaneus

Right after saying how proud he was about his achievements in that team.

“It is incredible how time flies and for us to get to Brazil for the last race of the season, after everything we’ve achieved, makes me very proud,” says the Spaniard, who made a second full-time Formula 1 comeback by signing for the now Madrid-based outfit.

“The race in Brazil is always a very special Grand Prix, not only because of the track’s layout but also for the Formula 1 history and the fans…the weather and possible showers can also play an important role in the race’s outcome; if that would be the case, we will be ready to take our chances.

“It is the last race of the season and we will do our best to achieve a good result. It would be something fantastic to do, not only for the whole team that has worked so hard throughout the year, but also for the fans that have been an amazing support this season
.”
Ouch :(
I'm not hugely familiar with his background, but he definitely seems like one of the good guys of F1. Kind of like a less successful Barrichello.

I think Gran Turismo 5 would generate better tracks.
It probably has. There's genuinely no creativity in Tilke tracks *at all*... they almost literally use the same cookie-cutter shape (pardon the pun).

Oh come on! Die already!

Organisers of the Korean Grand Prix have confirmed that the Yeongam event has once again made losses. This year’s race, won by Sebastian Vettel, was the third on a seven-year contract which runs up to and including the 2016 season.

Although 2016 has been confirmed as the last F1 date for Korea under its current deal, the race could remain until 2021 if it proves to be successful. For the time being, this year’s fixture returned operating losses of 39.4 billion won (£22.8m).
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/287613/more-losses-registered-for-korean-grand-prix/

Mobius 1

Goodness, please someone spank sense into Bernie's skull. Interlagos can't be replaced. Not only it's a classic circuit loved by all and with an enourmous heritage, but it's perfectly located in the most important city of the country.

Fuck Beto Carrero. I appreciate having another world class circuit in the country, but taking F1 from Sao Paulo is a sin. Make it a second race then, and attract the argentinians and uruguayan's from just across the border.

Mastah

Hahaha @ Hulkenburg! Watch FI challenge for 3rd/4th place in 2013/14. The results will probably affect their mid-season performance more. Actually, who knows, it could be right away if it allows the team to buy new equipment, staff, more iterations etc.

Remember Toyota? Or recently, do you see 2012 Ferrari situation? It's not about how much money you have, it's about what are effects of spending them. So far, looking at past few years, I don't see anything indicating that Force India will challenge top boys in the near future (2009 - huge amount of spending for a midfield team with almost no results, only sprung to the top in the 2nd half of the season after "a little help" from McLaren, 2010 - downward spiral, 2011 - saved their season only due to Mercedes engine mappings, 2012 - improved from lower midfield to higher midfield, hardly a success). And certainly Lotus, Mercedes, Williams, Sauber and even Toro Rosso, all with high ambitions for next seasons, won't stand still.

Also, it's HulkenbErg, not HulkenbUrg.

If that's really the case then I can't imagine that Grosjean has a chance of staying next year. Poor guy.

http://www.f1.total.com/en/romain-grosjean/

Hammer24

Banned
Some rumblings from Finnish media that Lotus cannot pay salaries until they get FIA money for this year...

Really shame considering how great work they have done this year with their car. Grosjean is going to cost them a lot of money... with more constant second driver they could be in second place in constructors.

Looks like Kimi is killing the team. The problem is, he got a contract that is basically incentive based. He gets money for every WDC point he gets. When they signed the contract, Lotus calculated with 100 points. Now they don´t know where they´ll get the money to pay him for all the points he actually got. And Kimi doesn´t want to renegotiate. From what it looks like right now, he could be leaving Lotus at the end of the year.

Also: Merc in development hell. The new car eats up the tyres, so they decided to send ROS on the old, pre-coanda car to quali and race. This old car is 2.5 sec slower on a quali lap (thus his bad quali result), but still faster on Sundays than the new one (thats why he finished better than MSC).
Right now they don´t really know what to do, concerning the next years car development.

Looks like Kimi is killing the team. The problem is, he got a contract that is basically incentive based. He gets money for every WDC point he gets. When they signed the contract, Lotus calculated with 100 points. Now they don´t know where they´ll get the money to pay him for all the points he actually got. And Kimi doesn´t want to renegotiate. From what it looks like right now, he could be leaving Lotus at the end of the year.

Also: Merc in development hell. The new car eats up the tyres, so they decided to send ROS on the old, pre-coanda car to quali and race. This old car is 2.5 sec slower on a quali lap (thus his bad quali result), but still faster on Sundays than the new one (thats why he finished better than MSC).
Right now they don´t really know what to do, concerning the next years car development.

If Kimi is leaving Lotus, he'll end up leaving F1 again with no seat available? Shame McLaren missed out.

Merc having tire issues. Nothing new :/ though on contrary, Brawn always said they're waiting for the 2014 regulations to see some results so the 2013 car was gonna be a dud anyway.

Yes, we need more cost cutting measures. Mo more winter testing. Only 4 engines per season and 3 more races. Also, no more in season development.

2 V10 engines per weekend, 1 for qualifi that will blow up right after your last lap and 1 for the race and same with gearboxes.

Unlimited access to all tire compounds as much as you want throughout the weekend.

And all out developmental warfare with as much testing as you want, when you want.

Help us solve the economic crisis in the world by spending more! Do it Bernie!

Hammer24

Banned
If Kimi is leaving Lotus, he'll end up leaving F1 again with no seat available?

There is still lots of wheeling and dealing. At this point he could still very well end in a Force India. If both sides don´t come to terms, he´ll be on of the most sought after drivers.

PS: Looks like Merc wont use the coanda in Brazil :-/

Sauber to name Nico Hulkenberg's 2013 team-mate at Brazilian GP

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn refused to elaborate on the identity of the driver, or indeed when the announcement will be made.

"We have always said it will be 'in the season'," she told AUTOSPORT. "So it will be before Brazil, in Brazil or a few hours after the race."

Gutierrez has been favourite for the seat for several weeks, thanks to his close links with team sponsor Telmex, but Kobayashi has been more confident in recent days about his prospects for next year.

Speaking in Austin last weekend he said: "I'm confident. There's no change but I think it will be OK.

"I think the situation is better than before...money-wise and everything, I think it's getting better. But we'll see."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104452

Nope, I'm not getting my hopes up for Kobayashi.

Goldrusher

7f6c256ba0deb949480157ca8c961c2f.jpg

THE COCA-COLA COMPANY RETURNS TO FORMULA 1

The Coca-Cola Company will return to Formula 1 in January 2013 through its global energy brand “burn” in a multi-year sponsorship of Lotus F1 Team. Details of the sponsorship will be revealed in 2013 when the partnership officially launches.

EMMANUEL SEUGE, GROUP DIRECTOR, WORLDWIDE SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT MARKETING, THE COCA-COLA COMPANY:
“The creativity of teams and the passion for speed and energy that fuel the sport of Formula 1, make a partnership with this iconic sporting property a compelling proposition for the burn brand. Lotus F1 Team, as the number one emerging challenger in the sport, has demonstrated exceptional creativity in their approach to Formula 1 racing and their collaborations with partners - an approach that mirrors the philosophy of burn. We will bring that same creativity through burn, incorporating art and music in a way that will break the conventions of traditional Formula 1 sponsorship marketing.”

Burn is available in more than 80 countries throughout Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America.

ERIC BOULLIER, TEAM PRINCIPAL, LOTUS F1 TEAM:
“We are proud that The Coca-Cola Company has chosen Lotus F1 Team as the best vehicle to represent the burn brand in its most high profile partnership. We are excited to partner with burn to build a new and innovative model for sponsorships that will combine experiences, content creation and social media; an area in which our team has been at the cutting edge in Formula 1 for the past 18 months, recording the highest growth rate amongst fans this year."

ABOUT THE COCA-COLA COMPANY
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world’s largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca-Cola, the world’s most valuable brand, our Company’s portfolio features 15 billion-dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply, Georgia and Del Valle. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, ready-to-drink coffees, and juices and juice drinks. Through the world’s largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy our beverages at a rate of 1.8 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. Together with our bottling partners, we rank among the world’s top 10 private employers with more than 700,000 system associates. For more information, visit Coca-Cola Journey at www.coca-colacompany.com, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CocaColaCo or check out our blog, Coca-Cola Unbottled, at www.coca-colablog.com.

ABOUT BURN
Burn is a category leader in the global energy drink explosion. The red formula is a symbol of active fire, that provides Guetta & Guetta and other drinkers the energy needed to leave their original vision on the world. Dismantling category norms, consumers embody a live-out-loud mentality, without fear of boundaries created by society. Burn is a brand of The Coca-Cola Company. Burn is available in over 80 countries worldwide.

http://www.lotusf1team.com/LOTUS-F1-TEAM-IGNITES-NEW,10822.html?lang=en

"Burn is a category leader in the global energy drink explosion."

I've literally never heard of you.

Red Bull, yup.
Monster, yup.
V, yup.
Rockstar, yup.

Burn? Nope.

Edit - That aside, their financial issues should be sorted now I guess.

Dead Man

Red Bull, yup.
Monster, yup.
V, yup.
Rockstar, yup.

Burn? Nope.

The category is 'energy drinks owned by Coke'.

Edit: Shit, no it isn't, Coke owns dozens of energy drinks.

Mastah

There is still lots of wheeling and dealing. At this point he could still very well end in a Force India. If both sides don´t come to terms, he´ll be on of the most sought after drivers.

LOL, Kimi will be driving for Lotus next year. End of discussion, unless someone is into ridiculous theories.

Also this is the 3rd consecutive year when Renault/Lotus supposedly has financial problems. Do their results look like affected by it? No.

neoanarch

Red Bull, yup.
Monster, yup.
V, yup.
Rockstar, yup.

Burn? Nope.

Burn is available in more than 80 countries throughout Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America.

kiyomi

acm2000

US GP "Live coverage of the race programme, screened on Sky Sports F1 from 17:30 to 22:30, averaged 856,000 viewers, BBC’s highlights coverage averaged 2.22 million viewers"

US GP Qualifying "The Sky Sports programme from 17:00 to 19:45 averaged 418,000 viewers. Over on BBC Two, their highlights programme from 21:00 to 22:15 averaged 1.58 million viewers"

Indian GP "Sky Sports F1′s live broadcast averaged 561,000 viewers from 08:00 to 12:45. BBC One’s highlights programme this year brought to 2.78 million the sofa from 14:05 to 15:45. "

Kimi will be at Lotus next year 100%. He won't go to FI because of money, he made very clear that this is not his motivator, he wants a winning car, and he's very happy at Lotus. And he won't also leave F1, even if he ends up with less money than agreed he will surely make more than leaving.

Lotus is saved??!! Burn is huge and its frekin Coca Cola!! Maybe they like what they see and buy Lotus from Genni!!!???? That's be amazing.. Redbull will finally find its match in terms of stupid spending powers

The world is bigger than whichever country you guys are from.

Worldwide, the top 3 is Red Bull, Monster and Burn.

Burn is very big. And it tastes better than Redbull :D

Mobius 1

US GP "Live coverage of the race programme, screened on Sky Sports F1 from 17:30 to 22:30, averaged 856,000 viewers, BBC’s highlights coverage averaged 2.22 million viewers"

US GP Qualifying "The Sky Sports programme from 17:00 to 19:45 averaged 418,000 viewers. Over on BBC Two, their highlights programme from 21:00 to 22:15 averaged 1.58 million viewers"

Indian GP "Sky Sports F1′s live broadcast averaged 561,000 viewers from 08:00 to 12:45. BBC One’s highlights programme this year brought to 2.78 million the sofa from 14:05 to 15:45. "

And yet the BBC programme is bring killed next year? :(

F1 on British TV is destined to be shit. We just have to accept that.

The Glory years of the Beeb was too short lived. We'll have another combo like Jake/DC/Brundle/Eddie/Lee again.

DD

Red Bull, yup.
Monster, yup.
V, yup.
Rockstar, yup.

Burn? Nope.

I've never heard of "V". =P

EDIT:

Massa-Capacete.jpg

As a tribute to his father.

EDIT 2:

LOL

691063359rupf8.jpg

Alonso's arrogance is getting annoying.

"In F1 there is always pressure. Definitely we have less than some occasions and less than if we were leading the championship. We arrive in second position after five or six qualifying sessions dominated by Red Bull when we were around seventh or eighth, so recovering 13 points looks like a very difficult achievement.

"If everything is normal we will maybe seventh (on the grid) and if something happens we can win the championship. As it is not in our hands the pressure is much less.
"
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/287658/we-have-nothing-to-lose-alonso-claims/

Awesome pics gutter, thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, what camera are you using?

Thanks. Canon T2i with the lens that came with it. Images shot in raw and edited in CS5. I think I have more fun editing than I do with shooting sometimes. Raw is more tedious but I have saved so many mediocre pictures with the options available in raw than jpeg.

Alonso's arrogance is getting annoying.
On the other hand...

"Would a win be revenge for 2010 in Abu Dhabi?" Alonso said. "No, I think it would just be happiness for us, as for 99 percent of the people, although maybe not for those at Red Bull."

So apparently 99% of people (basically everyone who isn't at Red Bull) want him to win. Now that's arrogance. :D

Massa

On the other hand...

"Would a win be revenge for 2010 in Abu Dhabi?" Alonso said. "No, I think it would just be happiness for us, as for 99 percent of the people, although maybe not for those at Red Bull."

So apparently 99% of people (basically everyone who isn't at Red Bull) want him to win. Now that's arrogance. :D

Ok, I don't like Alonso at all but that has to be a misquote.

On the other hand...

I knew Alonso reads GAF.

NHale

Lewis is going to rain on his parade so hard that it will make Sandy look like a drizzle.

Considering Lewis hates Vettel more than he hates Alonso, I wouldn't be surprised if he just pressed the wrong button once again and let Alonso through on the last lap.

Top Bottom