• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Considering Lewis hates Vettel more than he hates Alonso, I wouldn't be surprised if he just pressed the wrong button once again and let Alonso through on the last lap.

If Lewis is in the lead, he ain't doing shit for anyone. He'll no doubt want to win his last race for McLaren above all else.

If he's in like, 5th or something, perhaps.

mblitek

There is still lots of wheeling and dealing. At this point he could still very well end in a Force India. If both sides don´t come to terms, he´ll be on of the most sought after drivers.

PS: Looks like Merc wont use the coanda in Brazil :-/

Hahaha, no way FI is getting Kimi. Kimi isn't going anywhere, he's too lethargic and anti corporate bullsh!t to get up and leave. Hell, he just said he'd rather get 4th place in the Championship so he doesn't have to go to the award show haha!

But yes, awesome news for Lotus having the backing of GSK.

kharma45

There is still lots of wheeling and dealing. At this point he could still very well end in a Force India. If both sides don´t come to terms, he´ll be on of the most sought after drivers.

PS: Looks like Merc wont use the coanda in Brazil :-/

Oh Merc :lol I guess they're happy just to finish ahead of Caterham again in this race.

Kimi isn't going anywhere, he's too ... anti corporate bullsh!t to get up and leave.
That doesn't really make any sense.

But yes, awesome news for Lotus having the backing of GSK.
Coca Cola are sponsoring Sauber, GSK are sponsoring McLaren.

Interestingly though much earlier in the year Coca Cola were being linked to McLaren sponsorship for 2013. If those rumours were true, I wonder if Hamilton leaving soured the deal, and they couldn't follow him to Mercedes because of Monster.

mblitek

This is awesome, http://kamui-support.com/Japanese fans are trying to raise money to save Kobayashi's future in F1. I don't know if they want $10,000 per donation or $100. Either way you get a rubber band bracelet!

Also, how time flies:

8jAJ4.png

mblitek

That doesn't really make any sense.

Coca Cola are sponsoring Sauber, GSK are sponsoring McLaren.

Interestingly though much earlier in the year Coca Cola were being linked to McLaren sponsorship for 2013. If those rumours were true, I wonder if Hamilton leaving soured the deal, and they couldn't follow him to Mercedes because of Monster.

Whoops,, yeah I remember hearing that rumour going around. I wonder what the behind the scenes details were.

Regarding Kimi I meant he's anti-PR. He's not one for all the extra duty that sponsorship brings etc

Quoting it or linking to it would be nice.

I think the tweet might have been deleted, but I haven't checked. There's this though:

Sergio Perez says Esteban Gutierrez will replace him at Sauber

Jinjo

Well fuck this. F1 is also moving behind the decoder in the Netherlands starting next season. I guess that's it for my F1 viewing days then, not gonna buy an expensive sports package just for F1. Especially not for the lackluster F1 coverage over here. They never even attend the races. I'm not gonna watch it on the german channel and I think Belgium doesn't publically broadcast it either anymore. So I guess that's it then, I will be unable to watch the sport anymore. F1 is slowly destroying their viewer/fan base this way..

Shaneus

On the other hand...

"Would a win be revenge for 2010 in Abu Dhabi?" Alonso said. "No, I think it would just be happiness for us, as for 99 percent of the people, although maybe not for those at Red Bull."

So apparently 99% of people (basically everyone who isn't at Red Bull) want him to win. Now that's arrogance. :D
Just quietly, I'm pretty sure I can think of at least one person at RBR who doesn't want him to win either ;)
This is awesome, http://kamui-support.com/Japanese fans are trying to raise money to save Kobayashi's future in F1. I don't know if they want $10,000 per donation or $100. Either way you get a rubber band bracelet!

Also, how time flies:

8jAJ4.png
Bahaha. He's such a nerd in that middle shot.

Also:
a7dSD.png

:(

Goldrusher

I'm not gonna watch it on the german channel
RTL is a very good channel, your loss.

I think Belgium doesn't publically broadcast it either anymore.
Not on a channel that is available in The Netherlands.
Here in Flanders we do have up to 5 channels showing F1 this year:

vier HD = Flemish
la une HD = Walloon, with local reporters & d'Ambrosio as commentator
TF1 HD = French
RTL = German
BBC = British

All of them are in the basic cable package.

mblitek

Well fuck this. F1 is also moving behind the decoder in the Netherlands starting next season. I guess that's it for my F1 viewing days then, not gonna buy an expensive sports package just for F1. Especially not for the lackluster F1 coverage over here. They never even attend the races. I'm not gonna watch it on the german channel and I think Belgium doesn't publically broadcast it either anymore. So I guess that's it then, I will be unable to watch the sport anymore. F1 is slowly destroying their viewer/fan base this way..

I can hook you up! Shoot me a PM if you want?

With Koba gone, I can't imagine the Japanese GP will exist beyond 2013. There's no corporate will there to support it, no drivers in F1 or in the pipeline and despite the passionate fanbase, Bernie wants money first and foremost. I can sadly see Suzuka being taken off the schedule in the very near future, considering they seem to be going on a year-by-year basis at the moment, unless I missed a news story.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm disappointed because I'll miss the final race since I'll be travelling. The second race I watch will probably be next year. I wish I still had Sirius radio.

Shaneus

With Koba gone, I can't imagine the Japanese GP will exist beyond 2013. There's no corporate will there to support it, no drivers in F1 or in the pipeline and despite the passionate fanbase, Bernie wants money first and foremost. I can sadly see Suzuka being taken off the schedule in the very near future, considering they seem to be going on a year-by-year basis at the moment, unless I missed a news story.
Do you think you're being a little over-dramatic there? I mean, I honestly don't know the intricacies of how a race's viability is calculated, but I'm sure there have been plenty of times when there hasn't been a Japanese F1 driver that Suzuka has gone ahead. Plus we still have JB/Jessica :)

I'm not discounting your opinion at all, but I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I hope.

I mean, it has a long history in F1 and from what I can tell, the Japanese are generally big followers of Formula 1, regardless of whether their country has a representative in the sport or not.

Thanks for planting the seed of doubt in my mind you bastard :(

mblitek

Haha he does look like any other regular awkward teenager!

Also, here's the Drivers Press Conference - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QwEHEceoEg

Thanks. Lots of joking around in there, maybe with the exception of Alonso.

Edit - Aww bless, it all started getting a bit emotional.

Whoops, here's Part Two - Drivers Press Conference - Part 2

and here's Button talking about taking on a Senior role next year: Button looking forward to lead role

Do you think you're being a little over-dramatic there? I mean, I honestly don't know the intricacies of how a race's viability is calculated, but I'm sure there have been plenty of times when there hasn't been a Japanese F1 driver that Suzuka has gone ahead. Plus we still have JB/Jessica :)

I'm not discounting your opinion at all, but I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I hope.

I mean, it has a long history in F1 and from what I can tell, the Japanese are generally big followers of Formula 1, regardless of whether their country has a representative in the sport or not.

I'm trying not too be overly dramatic, Shaneus. But we know Bernie. We know he thinks in dollars and cents instead of fans alone and that he'd get rid of the likes of Spa or Suzuka in a heartbeat if he could go to Bangkok or Qatar and make a ton of money. I just think if Koba can't get the sponsorship money to keep his seat, it's not a good harbinger for their involvement in the sport elsewhere.

mblitek

I hope.

Yeah exactly, not many Turkish drivers or ones from Singapore etc. haha. If anything Japan has a huge Motorsports community & following. I'd wager it's safe :)

Adamm

A8YTHkwCEAENjg2.jpg

Jakes last race :(

Edit: also caterham have signed PIC for next year & gutierrez confirmed for sauber.

So Kobayashi's last race also :(

Aww shit, where did you read this?

Lach

Monisha Kaltenborn also turned her attention to the team’s current drivers: “I would very much like to say a few words about Kamui Kobayashi as well. Over the last three years Kamui has shown us he is not only a fierce competitor on the track, but also a wonderful person and fantastic team player. Every member of our team has the greatest respect for him, and his podium in Japan was a particularly emotional moment for all of us. This has not been an easy decision for us to take, but we have committed ourselves to a new beginning and our time with Kamui will come to an end after the final two races of the season. We wish Kamui all the best for the future.

That's really sad. I'm sure he'll find a spot somewhere. I can't really blame Sauber though. Money is important and Esteban DOES bring alot of money while at the same time being a great (or at least very promising) driver.
[edit] Hmm it looks like that statement was made before the last weekend (final two races). So it's been clear in America already....

kiyomi

Bit disappointing that Sauber didn't just come out and tell everyone sooner rather than keeping Kamui and everyone on tenterhooks, but it's not surprising ; Gutierrez comes with important money, both short and long term, and he's seemingly talented enough not to be a complete waste of space.

Hopefully Koba can find something for 2013, whether it's in WEC or F1 or something entirely different, and then maybe Honda or someone will make a return into F1 in the next few years and bring Kamui with them.

Important thing for him is to sharp and focussed in another series or lower team, he seems like a really great guy who wanted to build his F1 career in a pretty honourable way, and I can respect that.

<3 you koba

Shaneus

A8YTHkwCEAENjg2.jpg

Jakes last race :(

Edit: also caterham have signed PIC for next year & gutierrez confirmed for sauber.

So Kobayashi's last race also :(
If Caterham have gone Pic, then we're without either Heikki or Petrov next year (or both :( ).
Yeah, this really fucking sucks. It will obviously be sad to see Petrov or Heikki go... but losing KK stings like hell. But hey, at least the fucking teams are getting their money from pay drivers, right?

Fuck, this financial situation with the teams and drivers infuriates me so goddamn much!

Goldrusher

There's still quite a few seats available... if you have a big bag of money.

Red Bull Racing
Vettel (2014)
Webber

Ferrari
Alonso (2016)
Massa

McLaren
Button
Perez (&#8734;)

Lotus
Räikkönen

Mercedes
Hamilton (2015)
Rosberg (&#8734;)

Sauber
Hülkenberg
Gutiérrez

Force India
di Resta

Williams
Maldonado (2014)

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Vergne
Ricciardo

Marussia
Glock (2014)

Caterham
Pic

HRT :/
de la Rosa

f0rk

So are there plans for a Mexican GP in the next few years? Would make sense with the number of people who apparently came to see Perez last week.

Shaneus

So the only confirmed pay drivers right now are Gutierrez and Maldonado, yes? Possibly Perez as well... though if he was one, I doubt he is now with McL.

What a fucking joke. One or two pay drivers I can understand, and every so often they shine and actually prove their worth (Maldonado being a decent example) but to see that almost half of the drivers (I guess it would be potentially a third?) are likely to be pay drivers... someone (if not Bernie) has to see that there's something seriously fucking wrong with the financial side of the sport for it to get this bad.

I'm just glad that the likes of Vergne and Riccardo were able to get their feet in the door without needing such blatant backing. They're probably the last.

kiyomi

Do find it a bit odd that Grosjean hasn't been confirmed yet. I haven't read anything that says it's anything but a formality but it's a bit strange.

Shaneus

Could you imagine if they snuck KK into his spot? He's definitely less accident prone than Fucking Grosjean, and with that power/tech at his disposal... holy crap that'd be good.

So the only confirmed pay drivers right now are Gutierrez and Maldonado, yes? Possibly Perez as well... though if he was one, I doubt he is now with McL.

What a fucking joke. One or two pay drivers I can understand, and every so often they shine and actually prove their worth (Maldonado being a decent example) but to see that almost half of the drivers (I guess it would be potentially a third?) are likely to be pay drivers... someone (if not Bernie) has to see that there's something seriously fucking wrong with the financial side of the sport for it to get this bad.

I'm just glad that the likes of Vergne and Riccardo were able to get their feet in the door without needing such blatant backing. They're probably the last.

I think we need to stop throwing the word "pay driver" around like that.

These days you need to bring a lot of money, if you want to join F1. You could be a wunderkind behind the wheel and still having trouble to get a seat. It sucks, but that's how it is right now and not every rookie is going to be a talentless hack with a bag of money. I think it was the BBC who interviewed two of the more talented GP2 drivers in Bahrain and they said finding sponsors for F1 is the biggest problem they have.

Look at Petrov or Heikki, for example. They weren't really pay drivers and they had their chance in competitive cars and they're clearly not top drivers. So why keep them around, if you could give younger drivers (with money) the chance.

Pretty sure that Bottas gets seat next year from Williams without huge bag of money ( It's great to have Mika as your manager lol)

Lach

What a fucking joke. One or two pay drivers I can understand, and every so often they shine and actually prove their worth (Maldonado being a decent example) but to see that almost half of the drivers (I guess it would be potentially a third?) are likely to be pay drivers...

The problem here is what makes a pay driver? Simply the fact that you bring a lot of sponsors to the team? Maldonado and Gutierrez (and Perez) have all proven that they're good drivers in GP2. So money is surely not the sole factor in their hiring.

The only REAL pay driver I see at the moment is Cucumber...

Foshy

If we have one less team next year (HRT), will this influence Q1 cutoffs in any way? Will there still be 7 drivers dropping out or would they lower it to 5?

Ark

Could you imagine if they snuck KK into his spot? He's definitely less accident prone than Fucking Grosjean, and with that power/tech at his disposal... holy crap that'd be good.

He's really not as impressive as he was in 2009 and 2010. Aside from a few moments, he's really been fairly lacklustre over last year and this year.

On the other side though, I'm interested to see if Bottas is as good as everyone says he is.

Shaneus

Yeah, that term is clearly getting misused quite blatantly (by me mostly!). I think I'm just using it as a generic insult for whenever a backed driver takes precedence over another who isn't.

Look at Petrov or Heikki, for example. They weren't really pay drivers and they had their chance in competitive cars and they're clearly not top drivers. So why keep them around, if you could give younger drivers (with money) the chance.
Petrov actually did alright for the first few rounds of 2011, didn't he? I was under the impression that he performed poorly over the rest of the year because Lotus-Renault's development during the season was basically non-existent compared to the other teams. I could be mis-remembering, though.

Yeah, that term is clearly getting misused quite blatantly (by me mostly!). I think I'm just using it as a generic insult for whenever a backed driver takes precedence over another who isn't.

Petrov actually did alright for the first few rounds of 2011, didn't he? I was under the impression that he performed poorly over the rest of the year because Lotus-Renault's development during the season was basically non-existent compared to the other teams. I could be mis-remembering, though.

Well actually Heikki too had pretty good debut season with Renault. He had one podium, record amount of finishes during debut season (16) and beat Fisichella in points. During Mclaren years he was just bad though (decent at qualifying but somehow lost all that qualifying speed in actual race).

Top Bottom