• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Adamm

I think Vettel is the C Ronaldo of F1. Super talented, a champion, but nobody likes him.

People don't hate Vettel, they are just sick of the same person winning over and over.

I'm guessing most people who watched F1 during the Schumacher domination feel the same way.

Can someone link me to what Kimi did?
Missed the race, but it's been a great season, soured only by Sky. Congrats Vettel!

Gotta love Kimi

Kimi Raikkonen: "It was a busy race and we didn't have the pace we wanted all the time. There was certainly a lot going on. I went off at the last corner on lap fifty-two as I couldn't see well with my visor being dirty and fogged up. Where I went off you can get back on the track by going through the support race pit lane, but you have to go through a gate. I know this as I did the same thing in 2001 and the gate was open that year. Somebody closed it this time. Next year I'll make sure it's open again."

Shaneus

Have made a commitment that I'm going to go to one F1 race a year until the day I die (or the day they cancel the sport). I'll never go to Silverstone though, that one will stay as what might have been.
If you ever make the pilgrimage to Melbourne (it's a stretch, I know) be sure to hit me up! Plenty of Ferrari fans here and probably some free accomodation, too :)

People don't hate Vettel, they are just sick of the same person winning over and over.

I'm guessing most people who watched F1 during the Schumacher domination feel the same way.

Seriously, it's so annoying that some people don't seem to get it. Vettel is funny, charming and a really nice guy. But I wanted Ferrari to win this. That doesn't mean I hate Vettel. He can win and dominate all he wants, once he joins Ferrari ;-)

Shaneus

Gotta love Kimi
Yeah, I fucking love him now. I think I now have this thing for drivers that just don't give a shit. He's in the same class as Webber as far as that goes, IMO.

It's two things: It's the continual winning and (as has been mentioned before) the fans who don't understand why the people who don't like him winning don't like him winning. Hell, I'd probably be the same on the latter point if Webber kept on winning (though I obviously wouldn't be as vocal about it ;)).

I think fans of specific drivers are genuinely able to see the shortcomings of their objects of affection, but not so with The Finger.

What about Kimi fans? I could use an escape to Melbourne come March
Given my partial club membership to Team Iceman, I think that's a given ;)

I was thinking that when I do that one I'll do the Malaysia one too. Hellishly long journey so I'd want to make it worth my while.

Most planes transit in Malaysia or Singapore on the way back from Melbourne, so it will almost not cost you anything.

I'm thinking of doing that as well, and end it in Bahrain

tHoMNZ

Although i wanted alonso to pull it off, I like vettel. He's an incredible driver. I hope massa has a great season next year, I want to see him challenge for the title. Gotta love a driver who wears their heart on their sleave.

He will be missed

nlVhP.jpg

:(

I'm going to Montreal next year for sure. I don't care if I have to go alone. My only other friend who is into F1 is cheap as hell so I may just end up going alone.

Just added March 16th to my calendar. Hoping it'll be here in no time.

Shaneus

Could be a good idea. I can't remember how long after Malaysia is after Melbourne (or even how long the trip is) but I'd probably tag along!

I'm actually planning on going to Spa and Monza for a double-header of a trip next year, the whole double-header holiday comes off as a good idea and can be pulled off for a number of rounds. Here's probably what I'd consider doing (not all in the same year, but would be feasible as a "holiday"):

Melbourne/Malaysia (17/24 March 2013)
Silverstone/Germany (30 Jun/14 Jul)
Spa/Monza (25 Aug/8 Sep)
USA/Brazil (17/24 Nov)

Next likely one after that would probably be US/Brazil, I think.

Do you guys think this was the best season in the V8 F1 era?
I really enjoyed it, it was tense all the way, and there were some fantastic races that I'll surely remember.

I really enjoyed it, it was tense all the way, and there were some fantastic races that I'll surely remember.

It's too early to tell, because this season is still fresh on our minds, but it was definitely one of the better ones. Some definitely dislike it, because of the tyre lottery and I can't blame them for thinking that.

K444WSR

Having taken time to reflect on another awesome race, I take my hat of to vettel for getting the job done. Being a Ferrari nut I wanted Alonso to win, but it wasn't meant to be. It's amazing to think, that in one race we had so many historical moments in f1... Schumie's last race, Hamilton leaving McLaren, the youngest 3x wdc, only the third(?) triple consecutive wdc. We really have been privileged this year with a ridiculous season, and whilst I feel sad Alonso didn't win ( after his finest season), I'm already looking forward to next year.
My only regret is, not being a part of this community... Something i plan on rectifying. Bring on 2013!

Just watching the F1 forum. I have to say that I feel for Massa because everyone keeps asking him about Alonso. If anyone was to do that to Webber he'd likely spit in their face and walk off.

Also, a classy moment where he said both Vettel and Alonso deserved the title.

I must say that I completely wrote him off at the start of the year but he's got some of his fire back and I really hope he keeps Alonso honest next year.

Shaneus

Just watching the F1 forum. I have to say that I feel for Massa because everyone keeps asking him about Alonso. If anyone was to do that to Webber he'd likely spit in their face and walk off.

Also, a classy moment where he said both Vettel and Alonso deserved the title.

I must say that I completely wrote him off at the start of the year but he's got some of his fire back and I really hope he keeps Alonso honest next year.
Yeah, I've gained a fair amount of respect for Massa this year. Had a fairly poor start where he copped a fair bit of (well-deserved) flack but he picked up his game and drove solidly for the second half of the year.

I've definitely changed my mind about some people because of this year. I think a lot more of Massa and Maldonado, for example... there are probably others, too. I've cottoned onto Kimi (yay!), while I'm beginning to think that if next year isn't Webber's last in F1 (I hope not) it's definitely the last one in which he can give the WDC a good go.

At least Hamilton will be out of his way in that regard.

Biggest disappointment for me this year would probably be Caterham's performance. Everyone was expecting them (or maybe it was just me) to give the lower mid-tier teams a good nudge but they were consistently only ever ahead of Marussia and HRT.

Most frustrating? Fucking Grosjean. Involved in far too many incidents this year, to the detriment of many, many top-tier drivers... and his team (Lotus must be pissed with his performance).

I'm hopeful for STR next year, now that the boys have had a full season in F1 and with (from what I can tell) regulations not changing as drastically they should hopefully have a better car to compete with next year.

We should probably lock this thread off soonish so Leunam can get the off-season OT going. Maybe sneak it in off-topic and see how long we last ;)

Ark

This season is certainly going to go down in history. Although for me, I think 2009 has been the 'best' season of the V8 era thus far. It's the first season in a long time where both McLaren and Ferrari were out of the running for the championship and who doesn't love the Brawn GP story?

I've definitely changed my mind about some people because of this year. I think a lot more of Massa and Maldonado, for example... there are probably others, too. I've cottoned onto Kimi (yay!), while I'm beginning to think that if next year isn't Webber's last in F1 (I hope not) it's definitely the last one in which he can give the WDC a good go.

At least Hamilton will be out of his way in that regard.

I assume you mean because Mercedes won't be anywhere next season? I really think people are writing Mercedes off far too early. It's no secret that Mercedes haven't brought any upgrades to the car in a long time now and with the new finalised Concorde agreement amongst other things, Mercedes could very well be right up there next year. I have hope, anyway.

I think the biggest disappointment for me this year was Grosjean. I genuinely expected him to at least take the fight to Kimi after he so dominantly won the GP2 championship, but he's just been another 2011-Maldonado.

mblitek

Ahhh, so gutted for Fernando but happy for Vettel, you can't help but like either guy. You also can't help but like either team and the emotion. I will write tomorrow.

Shaneus

I assume you mean because Mercedes won't be anywhere next season? I really think people are writing Mercedes off far too early. It's no secret that Mercedes haven't brought any upgrades to the car in a long time now and with the new finalised Concorde agreement amongst other things, Mercedes could very well be right up there next year. I have hope, anyway.

I think the biggest disappointment for me this year was Grosjean. I genuinely expected him to at least take the fight to Kimi after he so dominantly won the GP2 championship, but he's just been another 2011-Maldonado.
They might be somewhere next year, but I don't have high hopes of them holding it for very long. they started this year with a good car and will probably start next year with a good car, but as far as I know they didn't actually do a lot of mid-season development. Taking that into account, will they bother with doing that much next year when the new spec engines arrive in 2014?

Hamilton should be able to push their car more than Rosberg or Schumi has (hopefully) so maybe they will be in the running, but if they ever look like they are, I have a feeling it'll be short-lived.

Hana-Bi

Yeah, Mercedes will probably fail again. How long did they have tire problems already? It's like they make zero progress (or develop totally in the wrong direction). They always say, ah this weekend was not ideal but we gathered a lot of data and will improve and learn our lessons... But they never really delivered. It's frustrating and even Brawn who was always "The Brain" made almost always the wrong call with the strategies during the races since Michael is back.

I don't really like Hamilton, but when you see his last races and see the performance of the Mercedes then you really have to feel sorry for him. He deserves a better car and team.

So is DRS here to stay? Do the drivers like it at all? I know most fans hate it. It's super cheap. This is my first year back following F1 religiously since about early 2000's. I can't recall many times pre-DRS era where you have a guy go two races in a row (Vettel example) where he wipes out and goes from the back of the pack to the near front in like 5 minutes. It's insane. It makes for some exciting passes at times like when Alonso flew by two drivers in I think it was Abu Dabhi or something (great sunhi gif moment) but for the most part I don't like it. Almost no consequence for making a mistake when you can just catch up that fast.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah, Mercedes will probably fail again. How long did they have tire problems already? It's like they make zero progress (or develop totally in the wrong direction). They always say, ah this weekend was not ideal but we gathered a lot of data and will improve and learn our lessons... But they never really delivered. It's frustrating and even Brawn who was always "The Brain" made almost always the wrong call with the strategies during the races since Michael is back.
They will be nowhere in 2013, but they are betting all their cards on 2014 with new regs&engines

dubc35

I just finished watching the race. I was hoping ALO would be able to pull it off when Vettel was hit but it wasn't the case. I'm not a Vettel fan but credit is due where it is deserved and he was able to fight back to make sure he won WDC. Congrats to him!

It's still kind of a shock the season is over. I think it will go down as one of the best. Looking forward I have to think HAM will not have the pace in a Merc but only time will tell.

Lach

So is DRS here to stay? Do the drivers like it at all? I know most fans hate it. It's super cheap. This is my first year back following F1 religiously since about early 2000's. I can't recall many times pre-DRS era where you have a guy go two races in a row (Vettel example) where he wipes out and goes from the back of the pack to the near front in like 5 minutes. It's insane. It makes for some exciting passes at times like when Alonso flew by two drivers in I think it was Abu Dabhi or something (great sunhi gif moment) but for the most part I don't like it. Almost no consequence for making a mistake when you can just catch up that fast.

I don't think most fans hate it. At least here. You have too many tracks where you could just get cought behind a car that would be usually 1s slower. Alonso/Petrov AbuDabhi 2010 comes to mind. As long we don't get situations where we see drivers overtaking each other every other lap I think it's a good system.

Next season they will limit DRS in Quali so you can only use it in the places where you can also use it in the race.

Shaneus

We should kick off the off-season OT.

But yeah, I think the reason most people are seen to hate DRS is because it's needed on those POS tracks that clueless twat Tilke created. One thing I've noticed is that it's never really needed on the older tracks that he didn't design. The more organic courses work without it, but on his there'd be zero overtaking at all.

I can't recall many times pre-DRS era where you have a guy go two races in a row (Vettel example) where he wipes out and goes from the back of the pack to the near front in like 5 minutes.
You should probably watch Vettel's overtakes in Brazil, he was overtaking EVERYWHERE. Took some insane risks to work his way back up the pack. Abu Dhabi was a different story obviously.

But yeah, can't say I'm a fan of DRS in general but unless you're a second a lap faster than the car in front of you modern aerodynamics make it extremely difficult to get a pass done. Especially if you're not geared for top speed. I don't really see what they can do about it short of giving you a much bigger KERS battery (with more HP available) that only recharges every three laps (allowing you to blow it all in one shot).

Shaneus

But yeah, can't say I'm a fan of DRS in general but unless you're a second a lap faster than the car in front of you modern aerodynamics make it extremely difficult to get a pass done. Especially if you're not geared for top speed. I don't really see what they can do about it short of giving you a much bigger KERS battery (with more HP available) that only recharges every three laps (allowing you to blow it all in one shot).
That is the best idea I've ever heard. Seriously.

That'd be fucking awesome.

mclem

The last couple of seasons had been boring because of this - but because this was close and exciting, I don't mind Vettel winning.

Dominance is dull.

mclem

And with that I suddenly twig that (current) KERS rules are - basically - F-Zero's turbo rules!

When can we expect a GP in Mute City?

The last couple of seasons had been boring because of this - but because this was close and exciting, I don't mind Vettel winning.

Ehh... I don't think so. 2010 wasn't dull because of Vettel winning, remember that he only won the title in the final race. Wins were split pretty evenly between Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel and Webber.

2011 was dull because of Vettel winning. :D Even so, I still feel like we got some good racing through the rest of the field.

ramparter

Banned
Been on blackout since yesterday, just watched the race. F..k this championship. F..k RedBull. F..k Vettel. And f..k FIA for not penaltying the brat, he overtook in yellows and he is ridiculously lucky. I mean, who the f... is being hit in the first lap like this and continues to race. Buuuuuuuurrnnnnnnnnnnn.

And btw I don't usually use the word brat but it sooo fits Vettel, I mean look at him, he's like the Justin Bieber of F1... anyway gotta catch up with all the aftermath/media etc...

ramparter

Banned
"The championship was not lost here," said Alonso. "The championship was lost when [Romain] Grosjean flew over my head [at Spa] or when Vettel surprisingly only got a reprimand after qualifying in Japan.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104574
Actually the championship wot lost in Canada where they screwed up their strategy. Also in many other tracks that Ferrari managed to screw up.

edit
“I score this season a 10! If we had to repeat these twenty races I would change nothing done by the team or yours truly: no mistakes, no mechanical problems, zero problems at the pit stops, zero strategic mistakes."

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/11/14123.html
For sure...

acm2000

Been on blackout since yesterday, just watched the race. F..k this championship. F..k RedBull. F..k Vettel. And f..k FIA for not penaltying the brat, he overtook in yellows and he is ridiculously lucky. I mean, who the f... is being hit in the first lap like this and continues to race. Buuuuuuuurrnnnnnnnnnnn.

And btw I don't usually use the word brat but it sooo fits Vettel, I mean look at him, he's like the Justin Bieber of F1... anyway gotta catch up with all the aftermath/media etc...

they were yello and red, signalling slippery track, not to mention Alolso cheated and didnt get penalised, he cut an entire corner, gaining advantage, and then didnt let anyone past

Top Bottom