• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Salacious Crumb

He broke the car after, 4.6/10

jPlUL.jpg

I hope most teams will opt for the cosmetic nose job for next years cars.

IrhTB.jpg

Now for 2013 teams will be allowed to streamline the step, with a thin aerodynamic fairing that can be no higher than the tub at 625mm. This is a sacrificial part it forms no part of the impact structure, it’s simply there to make the stepped nose look better and with it perhaps bring a small aero benefit.
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/10/01/2013-technical-regulation-changes/

Seeing how Di Montezemolo complained about the looks of the F2012, it seems Ferrari is definitely going to do that. Same goes for Mercedes, iirc.

And some news on Kobayashi:

Kamui Kobyashi thanks fans for help in Formula 1 funding quest

In a message posted in Japanese on his Twitter account, Kobayashi said: "Thank you for your support from everyone for 'Kamui Support'. Thank you very much.

"As of November 27, the current fundraising total was 65,813,672 yen."

Although the £500,000 would not be enough to secure a drive on its own, a growing fund like that could prove useful in topping up any backing he has.

Kobayashi said at the weekend that he was in talks with another team - believed to be Force India - but that his chances rested on securing funding.

"We're just waiting for some money to come in," said Kobayashi. "We're waiting, we just need a sign.

"It will be difficult. I'm talking with another team, but it's difficult to say. If I don't talk [to other teams] it means I'm retired."

2013 Formula 1 line-up so far

Kobayashi's quest for a seat appears to be down to Force India and Caterham, with most of next year's field now settled:
Code:
Red Bull-Renault      Sebastian Vettel  Mark Webber      
Ferrari               Fernando Alonso   Felipe Massa     
McLaren-Mercedes      Jenson Button     Sergio Perez     
Lotus-Renault         Kimi Raikkonen    Romain Grosjean *  
Mercedes              Lewis Hamilton    Nico Rosberg     
Sauber-Ferrari        Nico Hulkenberg   Esteban Gutierrez
Force India-Mercedes  Paul di Resta     drive available  
Williams-Renault      Pastor Maldonado  Valtteri Bottas *  
Toro Rosso-Ferrari    Daniel Ricciardo  Jean-Eric Vergne 
Caterham-Renault      Charles Pic       drive available  
Marussia-Cosworth     Timo Glock        Max Chilton *      
HRT-Cosworth**        Pedro de la Rosa  drive available
* Drive not yet officially confirmed
** HRT team's future unclear
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104619

dubc35

I hope most opt for the fairing too.

Anyone know if there is an English version of the Kamui-Support site? (nvm, emailed the site to see)

Yoritomo

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104603

Red Bull feared that Sebastian Vettel would be forced out of the Brazilian Grand Prix as the result of his opening lap clash with Bruno Senna.

The German was spun after colliding with Senna on the entry to Turn 4, and he was hit again by the Brazilian when his Red Bull was facing the wrong way.

The contact badly damaged the rear bodywork of Vettel's Red Bull car, and left team chiefs on the pit wall worrying that their title chances were about to be derailed.

When asked if there was concern that the damage was big enough to cause Vettel to retire, team principal Christian Horner said: "Absolutely.

"There was quite a lot of damage to the exhaust and they're sensitive bits of equipment. So for them to receive an impact like that, of course, it was massively concerning."

Red Bull technical chief Adrian Newey believed that the damage to the car was at the absolute limit of what it could take.

"It's probably about as bad as you can possibly have and still finish the race," he told AUTOSPORT.

Newey was seen studying close-up images of Vettel's damaged car on the pit wall in the early stages of the race. He revealed that the team had to react at various stages of the race to ensure that the damage did not get worse.

"We monitor the loads through the pushrods, as I'm sure all teams do, so we could see that we had lost downforce, particularly at the rear," he added.

"At the first stop, we adjusted the front wing slightly.

"But you're carrying that lack of downforce because there's nothing you can do about that.

"Then the other big concern was the crease that we could see in the exhaust system.

"If the exhaust breaks, which there has to be a high probability of with that sort of damage, it would probably catch the bodywork on fire at that point and your race is over.

"So we changed the engine mapping to try and minimise the exhaust temperature. We lost a bit of performance in the process and just tried to get it home."

Despite the damage, Vettel secured a sixth place finish in the Brazilian GP that was good enough for him to secure his third straight title.

It was even crazier to see just how slow his car was when the track was dry. When the rain started up again his pace was damned fast compared to the rest of the field.

Damn... imagine if he had 5 titles by now :((( He definitely deserved at the very least this one :(

It's been mentioned countless times in this thread, but no one "deserves" anything. If we're going by that theory, there's so many drivers that deserve to be champions(Barichello) or multiple championships (Kimi, Hamilton, Mansell, etc)

It was even crazier to see just how slow his car was when the track was dry. When the rain started up again his pace was damned fast compared to the rest of the field.

In the rain like that it basically comes down to aggression and belief and he was absolutely going for it. Can't fault what he managed to do with the car as mangled as it was.

dubc35

Interesting how Perez had a celebrated season but only managed to finish 6 points up on Kamui. One point in the final seven races doesn't help I guess.

Horner on McL next year:
"I think McLaren is a weaker team without Lewis," said Horner. "I think McLaren would admit that. "Lewis is an outstanding driver and in Lewis and Jenson they had a hugely strong driver line-up."

So what do we do with ourselves in the off-season? I miss it already. :(

I was watching some YouTube clips last night of vettel and he's a lot more likable than he comes off at times. His letterman interview and kimi impersonation at last years autosport awards were hilarious.

He's a good guy. A lot of guys grew on me as the season went on. At first glance I didn't care much for vettel and Hamilton. Now I like them a decent amount. Hamilton especially although maybe it was pity for how unlucky he was all season long (worst pit luck I've ever seen)

I came into this season not wanting to pick a side but my old Ferrari allegiance was just too strong. Having Alonso as the #1 doesn't make it difficult to root for them. Dude comes off as super humble to me and he did so much this year with such a disappointing car.

Kimi is just amazing. What can you say. I want to chill with this dude.

Webber too for his amazing jawline. Man its hard to hate anyone in F1. I like almost everyone. Even Maldonado because I think he's a lot better driver than given credit although a bit mental and dangerous which I guess is why people hate the guy.

Edit - This is the wrong points system, but interesting all the same. You basically get points for every position in this one.

24 points for 1st place
23 points for 2nd place
22 points for 3rd place
2 points for 23rd place
1 point for 24 place
0 points for RET,DNS,DNQ

Code:
      Driver      |Points| Diff |      Driver      |Points| Diff |
Kimi Räikkönen    | 391  |  0   |Sebastian Vettel  | 281  |  0   |
Sebastian Vettel  | 391  |  0   |Fernando Alonso   | 278  | -3   |
Fernando Alonso   | 391  |  0   |Kimi Räikkönen    | 207  | -74  |
Mark Webber       | 339  | -52  |Lewis Hamilton    | 190  | -91  |
Jenson Button     | 326  | -65  |Jenson Button     | 188  | -93  |
Felipe Massa      | 323  | -68  |Mark Webber       | 179  | -102 |
Lewis Hamilton    | 295  | -96  |Felipe Massa      | 122  | -159 |
Paul di Resta     | 277  | -114 |Romain Grosjean   |  96  | -185 |
Nico Rosberg      | 276  | -115 |Nico Rosberg      |  93  | -188 |
Nico Hülkenberg   | 274  | -117 |Sergio Pérez      |  66  | -215 |
Daniel Ricciardo  | 246  | -145 |Nico Hülkenberg   |  63  | -218 |
Kamui Kobayashi   | 243  | -148 |Kamui Kobayashi   |  60  | -221 |
Bruno Senna       | 232  | -159 |Michael Schumacher|  49  | -232 |
Sergio Pérez      | 226  | -165 |Paul di Resta     |  46  | -235 |
Romain Grosjean   | 209  | -182 |Pastor Maldonado  |  45  | -236 |
Jean-Éric Vergne  | 204  | -187 |Bruno Senna       |  31  | -250 |
Pastor Maldonado  | 202  | -189 |Jean-Éric Vergne  |  16  | -265 |
Michael Schumacher| 195  | -196 |Daniel Ricciardo  |  10  | -271 |
Heikki Kovalainen | 162  | -229 |Vitaly Petrov     |   0  | -281 |
Vitaly Petrov     | 149  | -242 |Timo Glock        |   0  | -281 |
Timo Glock        | 141  | -250 |Charles Pic       |   0  | -281 |
Charles Pic       | 108  | -283 |Heikki Kovalainen |   0  | -281 |
Pedro de la Rosa  |  88  | -303 |Narain Karthikeyan|   0  | -281 |
Narain Karthikeyan|  58  | -333 |Pedro de la Rosa  |   0  | -281 |
Code:
     Constructor    |Points| Diff |     Constructor    |Points| Diff |
Red Bull-Renault    |  730 |  0   |Red Bull-Renault    | 460  |  0   |
Ferrari             |  714 | -16  |Ferrari             | 400  | -60  |
McLaren-Mercedes    |  621 | -109 |McLaren-Mercedes    | 378  | -82  |
Lotus-Renault       |  600 | -130 |Lotus-Renault       | 303  | -157 |
Force India-Mercedes|  551 | -179 |Mercedes            | 142  | -318 |
Mercedes            |  471 | -259 |Sauber-Ferrari      | 126  | -334 |
Sauber-Ferrari      |  469 | -261 |Force India-Mercedes| 109  | -351 |
Toro Rosso-Ferrari  |  450 | -280 |Williams-Renault    |  76  | -384 |
Williams-Renault    |  434 | -296 |Toro Rosso-Ferrari  |  26  | -434 |
Caterham-Renault    |  311 | -419 |Caterham-Renault    |   0  | -460 |
Marussia-Cosworth   |  249 | -481 |Marussia-Cosworth   |   0  | -460 |
HRT-Cosworth        |  146 | -584 |HRT-Cosworth        |   0  | -460 |

Leonsito

Spanish media is going crazy with videos of Vettel overtaking under yellow flags, it seems Ferrari will really take things to FIA to find a sanction for him.

Probably talking about the Vergne incident. Vergne pulled over to let Vettel past but it was in a yellow flag zone.

Edit - Apparently there was a green flag just before he passed him.

L3h8s.jpg

moojito

Gary Anderson thinks McLaren are going to be stronger without Hamilton, due to car development not being pulled in two quite different directions.

source

I can certainly agree with that point of view. A lot of people have discounted what kind of challenge Button might bring with a car tailored for him.

edit: "may be", not "are going to be", I should say

AcridMeat

Banned
Only just got around to watching the finale, was spoiled on the winner but the race was damn exciting still. Real shame about Hulk and Hamilton and was awesome to see Petrov secure Caterham what was rightfully theirs.

I believe the damage to the side pod was a blessing in disguise as he didn't have to pit after the spin. Had he lost one of the wings in that collision it would have been much worse.

Most everyone drove really well in that weather, Schumacher and Raikkonen were crazy and I was laughing pretty hard when he found a dead end to get back on the track.

That tooned episode was clever.

Shaneus

Where was Kimi on the grid before he made that whoopsie? Was he ahead of Vettel?

Edit: What did I miss with Petrov? Did he actually get point(s)?

AcridMeat

Banned
Where was Kimi on the grid before he made that whoopsie? Was he ahead of Vettel?

Edit: What did I miss with Petrov? Did he actually get point(s)?
He was behind Vettel I believe.

Petrov finished 11th, ahead of Pic so that Caterham beat Marussia.

Grosjean is definitely a huge disappointment. Not just because he was a fan favorite who let us down, but the amount of money he has cost Lotus means I doubt we'll see Kimi have as well of a suited car next year. I hope I'm wrong.

megateto

Spanish media is going crazy with videos of Vettel overtaking under yellow flags, it seems Ferrari will really take things to FIA to find a sanction for him.

I wouldn't say crazy, but yes, you can find this in marca's website.

As an Alonso fan, I hope the FIA doesn't dare to touch the results of the race.

Ark

Rain is the ultimate equaliser.

Is that because Perez has a similar driving style to Button? Surely he'll have his own input.

The only realistic input Perez will have is fitting his seat. If I remember rightly wasn't the Brawn car tailored more towards Button than Barrichello? We are definitely in for a ride next year.

Top Bottom