• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Massa

The only realistic input Perez will have is fitting his seat. If I remember rightly wasn't the Brawn car tailored more towards Button than Barrichello? We are definitely in for a ride next year.

Yes. Barrichello didn't get the break setup that suits his style until the second half of the season.

I wouldn't say crazy, but yes, you can find this in marca's website.

As an Alonso fan, I hope the FIA doesn't dare to touch the results of the race.

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/07031

Also what is this I hear about Vettel being lucky at Interlagos?

- Maldonado getting a penalty
- Vettel getting bumped into at first lap throwing him back to the last place
- SC (instigated by Alonso/Ferrari)
- Massa helping out Alonso to pass Webber and fend off the rest of the field
- Hulk taking Hamilton out
- Hulk getting a penalty

From all these events. Who was the lucky one?

I think you mean't; Vettel turning into another driver avoiding a penalty. Hulkenburg got the penalty for hitting Hamilton, Vettel took Senna out and got nothing.

Racing incident, but then so was Hulkenberg on Hamilton. F1 really needs to stop applying penalties based on consequences rather than intent.

Pimpwerx

I watched the race, and boy was it fun.

Congrats to Vettel on his third championship on the trot. It's no fluke. The kid can flatout drive.

Good performance for Lewis, and I don't blame him for the accident. That was all Hulk losing the rear end. You could say he didn't need to be that aggressive, but that is the primary overtaking zone, and he had left plenty of room to complete the pass. On to Merc next year, and hopefully a fresh, new beginning.

The drama at the start of the race made for a great watch. I wanted Alonso to win the championship, but I'm not mad Vettel got it. Now the terrible offseason begins. Luckily, I have football and basketball to tide me over until the start of winter testing.

3rd in the fantasy league is not bad. I should have solidified my 2nd, but I stopped paying attention the last few race weekends, when it was clear I couldn't catch #1. I wish our subleague won so I could get a cap. I missed out on one the first season because I lost interest in the last few races then too. I gotta work on that.

Anyway, here's to some fun developments in the offseason and hopefully another exciting season of racing next year. PEACE.

Racing incident, but then so was Hulkenberg on Hamilton. F1 really needs to stop applying penalties based on consequences rather than intent.

My thoughts exactly.

And just to add to the list

- Texas quali incident
- Cucumber incident
- Valencia

Alonso was the luckiest driver this season, almost every incident happens in any race benefits him, bar the two that he was involved in

Dead Man

km7hZ.png

:)

They really should have left the points alone and concentrated on evening out the distribution money instead.

DD

Poor Senna, sacked from HRT where he was never welcome, then sacked from Lotus for Grosjean, and now sacked from Williams, where his role was to warm the seat for Bottas for 2013...

Adamm

Poor Senna, sacked from HRT where he was never welcome, then sacked from Lotus for Grosjean, and now sacked from Williams, where his role was to warm the seat for Bottas for 2013...

I'm more amazed he keeps getting race seats, does he have much sponsorship?

DD

I'm more amazed he keeps getting race seats, does he have much sponsorship?

Not much.

And come on, he might be slower than Maldonado in the qualys (don't forget that he had to give his seat to Bottas on the free practices on the fridays, so he wasn't in a fair/even situation with his team mate), but at the end of the races, he was ahead of Pastor in most of the races. He scored points in 10 or more races, while Maldonado scored on 4 or 5, if I am not mistaken.

+Aliken+

Just look at the yellow lights on Vettel's steering wheel. If they are on it means he is in a yellow flag zone.
I am not sure what or who you are seeing but it is irrelevant.

acm2000

if there was ANYTHING illegal going on, Fernando International Assistance wouldve smacked vettel so hard just to make sure that alolso would win, its the FIA way, so clearly all is well with what happened

That happened because the rules were unclear. The Monaco situation was a finish under SC. It's just that the SC goes off the track on the last lap so the finish will look nice.

I think the debate then was about the question if it was an SC-finish or if the SC went off the track because it was clear. They have then clarified the rule so that passing is never allowed if the last lap starts with the SC out.

It's nothing like what happened during the last race in Brazil.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
I think the actual flags waved overrule whatever is shown on the wheel.

You are right, the regulations gives flags priority. The lights on the wheel are only aids for the driver and don't update at every marshal post. Also remember that the lights at the side of the track aren't present at every marshal post.

dubc35

e* I guess they could make the flags, and investigation of them more important in the future, but nothing is going to change for the last race.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
You are right, the regulations gives flags priority. The lights on the wheel are only aids for the driver and don't update at every marshal post. Also remember that the lights at the side of the track aren't present at every marshal post.

You can clearly see green flag waving from marshall's post on this gif. Also, yellow light hundred meters before post was not lit (overtaking forbidden) , but it was blinking (warning signal).

Also, official GP map with arshall posts indicated on the map.
lCEJF.png

While we're looking at the championship through different point systems, here's the final standings if it was based on qualifying only (bracketed number shows points gained/lost compared to actual championship points). Note: this doesn't include penalties.

1: Lewis Hamilton 346 (-139)
2: Sebastian Vettel 276 (+5)
3: Mark Webber 228 (+49)
4: Jenson Button 185 (+3)
5: Fernando Alonso 162 (+116)
6: Romain Grosjean 122 (-26)
7: Michael Schumacher 121 (-72)
8: Kimi Raikkonen 113 (+94)
8: Pastor Maldonado 113 (-68)
10: Nico Rosberg 101 (-8)
11: Felipe Massa 79 (+43)
12: Kamui Kobayashi 53 (+7)
13: Sergio Perez 39 (+27)
14: Nico Hulkenberg 34 (+29)
15: Paul Di Resta 32 (+14)
16: Daniel Ricciardo 9 (-1)
17: Bruno Senna 2 (+29)

Biggest gainers/losers:

1: Fernando Alonso +116
2: Kimi Raikkonen +94
3: Mark Webber +49
4: Felipe Massa +44
5: Bruno Senna +29
5: Nico Hulkenberg +29
7: Sergio Perez +27
8: Paul Di Resta +14
9: Kamui Kobayashi +7
10: Sebastian Vettel +5
11: Jenson Button +3
12: All the other drivers 0
19: Daniel Ricciardo -1
20: Nico Rosberg: -8
21: Romain Grosjean -26
22: Pastor Maldonado - 68
23: Michael Schumacher -72
24: Lewis Hamilton -139

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/videos/2825/williams-presents-2013-driver-line-up/

First time I hear Bottas talk. A Finn with a deep voice and good english!!!! Full of confidence, which is good. I hope he wipes the floor with Prupose and shows him how it's done.

Also, Hiekki is linked to Crashjean's seat?!!! 2 Finns line-up? I don't really see that happening, it's always more attractive to sponsors to have two different nationalities. Unless Burn is having Finland as their main target market for next year :p

But Germany’s authoritative Auto Motor und Sport said that there is truth behind reports that Lotus is seriously considering ousting Grosjean.

“Many suspect that Gerard Lopez will persuade Grosjean’s sponsor Total to spend more money,” read the report by correspondents Tobias Grunen and Michael Schmidt.

“But even Total has a problem with this protege. The French oil company has a safety campaign for public roads, and the face of a ‘crash driver’ doesn’t fit.”

lol

I still think he'll be there next year, as the article suggests I think it's just a way to get more money from Total

Mastah

"So getting Valtteri on board is not a hara-kiri move from a commercial point of view.

"It (his drive) is well funded, and it must be well funded. It is a very careful long-term decision."

http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/article/669/8291806/bottas-to-replace-senna-at-williams

Oh noes, another pay driver. They booted Senna, who was driving for Williams thanks to his enormous talent, not due to his surname or 5 different stickers on the car. Williams, you have no shame whatsoever!

lol

On a more serious note:

Wolff, however, said: "I'd rather have someone who has good speed, a heavy right leg, and who tends to make mistakes than someone who you can't get up to speed.

So true, Williams wasted their 2012 car with one fast driver, who was crashing in every second race and with slowpoke in second car. As many people predicted before season started, firing Barrichello was big mistake, but at least they made right decision regarding 2013 line-up.

I wonder how Maldonado will compare with Bottas. Not the other way around, because I still remember Maldonado's speed in GP2 when he was Hulkenberg's teammate and I rate Bottas on the same level as Hulk. Maybe we'll see some insight into how fast 2012 Williams really was.

DD

Oh noes, another pay driver. They booted Senna, who was driving for Williams thanks to his enormous talent, not due to his surname or 5 different stickers on the car. Williams, you have no shame whatsoever!

lol

On a more serious note:

So true, Williams wasted their 2012 car with one fast driver, who was crashing in every second race and with slowpoke in second car. As many people predicted before season started, firing Barrichello was big mistake, but at least they made right decision regarding 2013 line-up.

I wonder how Maldonado will compare with Bottas. Not the other way around, because I still remember Maldonado's speed in GP2 when he was Hulkenberg's teammate and I rate Bottas on the same level as Hulk. Maybe we'll see some insight into how fast 2012 Williams really was.
So why the slowpoke score points in 10 races while Maldonado scored in only half of it?

EDIT: and by the way, Bottas is bringing money to the team too. So yeah, pay driver.

Massa

So why the slowpoke score points in 10 races while Maldonado scored in only half of it?

EDIT: and by the way, Bottas is bringing money to the team too. So yeah, pay driver.

People don't usually pay attention to the pace of drivers in a race, they just want to see overtakes and crashes and eventful things.

Well he brings some minor sponsors from Finland but at the same time he will get paid by the team. I wouldn't say that he is pay driver.

Mastah

Because Maldonado crashed in half of them?

I don't get it, how anyone can be happy with scoring 1-2 points, when car is easily good enough for Top 5 in more than 10 races? Williams surely isn't because they signed Bottas.

Any top driver would score 100-150 points in Williams this year. Senna with his 30 was abysmal. Maldonado at least has shown pace and much calmer 3rd part of championship. Senna has show nothing to justify his place in top or midfield team. I don't even think he deserves any drive in F1, when the likes of Sutil or Alguersuari are waiting on sidelines.

Edit - This is the wrong points system, but interesting all the same. You basically get points for every position in this one.

24 points for 1st place
23 points for 2nd place
22 points for 3rd place
2 points for 23rd place
1 point for 24 place
0 points for RET,DNS,DNQ

Kimi and Senna would be happy if the F1 used Nascar´s point system. (it´s very close to what you described).

Top Bottom