• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Mastah

How can we know? Because Maldonado won a race early in the season? Well, Mercedes has won a race too, but in the end Rosberg (the guy who beat no one less than Schumacher for three years in a row) didn't manage to score one single point in the last 6 races.

F1 isn't as simple as 2+2=4.

Sometimes it is simple.

Pastor wasted his chances in Australia, Monaco, Europe, Great Britain and Brazil. In these races he could score at the very least 10 points in each one (who can forget he had 3rd in Valencia on the plate if not for idiotic manoeuvre on Lewis with 2 laps to go?). As he scored 45 in the end, anyone can clearly see there it wasn't difficult at all to score more than 100 points in Williams.

It's not a big secret McLaren, Williams, Lotus and Sauber were wasted either by reliability problems, slow driver or drivers making tons of mistakes.

paskowitz

Sometimes it is simple.

Pastor wasted his chances in Australia, Monaco, Europe, Great Britain and Brazil. In these races he could score at the very least 10 points in each one (who can forget he had 3rd in Valencia on the plate if not for idiotic manoeuvre on Lewis with 2 laps to go?). As he scored 45 in the end, anyone can clearly see there it wasn't difficult at all to score more than 100 points in Williams.

It's not a big secret McLaren, Williams, Lotus and Sauber were wasted either by reliability problems, slow driver or drivers making tons of mistakes.

To finish first, you first must finish. End of story.

Business

KK to Lotus sounds just too good to be true. Marketing-wise I think it would be a good fit seeing what they are doing on twitter and with KR.

Mastah

To finish first, you first must finish. End of story.

Yeah, and? Discussion was about how much of a potential Williams had this year. Maldonado can finish first, while Senna can only finish, that's major difference. Williams are racers, they won't settle for someone, who brings car home in 10th place and is happy about it, eventhough it was possible to fight for podium. Gerard Lopez from Lotus said it the best at the beginning of this year:

"I remember in India he was about to go to the grid in fourteenth place and he was in good spirits. I thought 'this cannot be'.

"When you're 14th in qualifying you need to be annoyed, wondering what has gone wrong,"

Bruno Senna - cruise and collect, happy no matter what.

It would be reveal how much overrated Kobayashi is, but hopefully Lotus will give a final chance to Grosjean. They should sign him for 10 first races and if there still wouldn't be any improvement in his racecraft, then goodbye. Such talent shouldn't be wasted, but equally if he can't utilise it in the right way, then it's his fault only.

More on Koba and Lotus.

New team boss??

Writing in Turun Sanomat, journalist Heikki Kulta said Lotus owner Gerard Lopez is wondering if having a more consistent driver alongside Raikkonen would be a wiser choice in terms of securing a more lucrative position in the constructors' world championship.

"Kimi comes at a cost to us," Lopez is quoted as saying, "but on the other hand he helps us in the manufacturers' standings, bringing even more money to the team."
While Raikkonen scored 207 points this year, finishing third in the drivers' table, Grosjean is just eighth, with 96.
Lotus finished fourth in the constructors' title.

Kulta wrote that Japanese Kobayashi, who has been raising money via a support website to contribute to a 2013 employer, has entered the frame at Lotus after losing his Sauber seat to Esteban Gutierrez.

"It's a shame for Romain, as not finishing his season in Brazil very well is a problem," fellow Frenchman Alain Prost told RMC Sport.
"What's more important, speed or reliability? That is what Lotus must decide," he added.

Meanwhile, the correspondent for Brazil's O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper, Livio Oricchio, claims Lotus is leaving open the second race seat for now amid its negotiations with potential team investors.

Oricchio said Lotus' talks are with a group of investors involving none other than Bernie Ecclestone, who would promote a "very controversial" new team boss.
"Not Flavio Briatore," Oricchio insisted.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/now-kobayashi-could-replace-grosjean-at-lotus/

Full translated article from Kulta

Kobayashi's target to be Räikkönen's team mate
This year's target for the Lotus racing team owned by Gerard Lopez was fourth place in the constructor's championship - and that was accomplished by Kimi Räikkönen alone getting more points than the fifth placed Mercedes.

Lopez adjusted next year's target straight away to third place in the competition between the teams.

Each placing at the front brings a larger share of the tv-money pot shared by Bernie Ecclestone's company. Supposedly third place gets you ten million dollards more than fourth place.

Lopez is more than happy after getting Räikkönen to continue his F1-career by at least another year.

- Kimi becomes expensive for us, but on the other hand the points he brings makes us more successful in the constructor's championship, which bring also more money for the team, Lopez reminds us.

Räikkönen got 63.3 per cent of Lotus' points. Romain Grosjean got to the finish line only twelve times out of 20 races and in the points ten times.

Lopez haven't straight away offered an extension contract for the super fast, but accident prone french man. When the effort is in the constructor's championship, there are also other options to consider to bring more reliability into bringing the car to the finish line.

According to Turun Sanomat's information, Kamui Kobayashi who lost his place at Sauber to Esteban Gutierrez, has set his hopes in continuing his F1 career in none other than Lotus.

The Japanese is striving to collect a personal support package to offer alongside his contract. As Räikkönen is after Kobayashi the most popular F1 driver in Japan, this kind of partnership could well help in getting financial support from the corporate world in Japan.

Lotus does already have Japanese sponsors.

Kobayashi has raced in 60 GP's and his best result is third place in Japan this year. He is 26 years old, the same as Grosjean.

Grosjean is still the top name as candidates for Räikkönen's team mate. Oil giant Total is supporting the French driver by paying Lotus an extra five million euros as long as Grosjean is racing.

Of course the Lotus seat is coveted by other drivers as well, but the final choice will likely be between Grosjean and Kobayashi.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

kJSq2.jpg

Make it happen

So, looking back guys, what were your top three races in 2012?

For me I think it was
Brazil
Abi Dhabi
Valencia

Abu Dhabi without a doubt, no in terms of the tension because I can't remember being so nervous, I wasn't the same in the delivery room with my wife I swear lol, but the final result of course.

Brasil obviously was amazing. Also Hungaroring and Bahrain for me for obvious reasons.

So many good races this year to be honest. Spa was good also

Who would be more controversial than Briatore?

JV? Mika Hakkinen, Schumi? :p

EDIT: If Bernie is going to buy the team. mmmm... Bernie feels sorry for his stance against his long time friend Max. Could we see Mad Max as a team principal? lol

Brilliant.

I am however hoping Grosjean can get a seat somewhere though.

With the 5 mil Total paying for him to drive I think so many backmarkers will want to hire him. I think he needs a year or two in a backmarker team to learn how to drive a bit then gets promoted to one of the big teams

Fisico

Even if i do like a lot KK it would be way much too cruel of Lotus to not sign Grosjean again for next year, I don't even understand why they haven't still, it put way too much pressure on him on the last quarter of the season forcing him to score shitty points and staying behind Raikkonen (those 7th 8th and 9th rank in the last few races, "Bruno Senna style")

After Hungary (11th GP) it was Raikko 102 and Grosjean 77 with Grosjean forced to retire at European GP, and it's worth mentionning that if Lotus hadn't screwed up his pitstop he would have had a chance of winning the Bahrein GP.

Belgian GP was the turning point for him, sure he screwed up, but as it was said previously on the thread he was mostly penalized because of the consequences of his mistake rather than the intent behind the mistake itself.
Following this it was "hey ANY mistake again and we KICK YOUR ASS FOR MORE THAN ONE GP this time", putting that much pressure on him he kind of lost it and it was not exciting anymore watching him race (and it must have been the same for himself too) while everyone forgot about Perez and Maldonado fuck it up over and over again.

Tldr : He proved he was fast, as much as Raikkonen if not more, second half of the season been shit for him but overall his season was probably as good as... Massa, just that the good half was the first for him meanwhile it was the second for Massa.

(I shouldn't be writing that much, i'm not confident enough in my english skill yet :p)

uL2BT.png

wtf does this even mean? Fighting what championship? I thought for a second Ferrari were challenging the flag controversy when I woke up this morning and read this. Alonso's philosophical ramblings confuse me sometimes.

For three years running four of the top five teams have had the same driver lineups. Next year that finally ends as Lewis moves from McLaren to Mercedes so I thought it was a good time to look at how things have gone according to the driver standings.

Total (2012, 2011, 2010):

929 Vettel (281 392 256)
787 Alonso (278 257 252)
679 Webber (179 258 242)
672 Button (188 270 214)
657 Hamilton (190 227 240)
384 Massa (122 118 144)
324 Rosberg (93 89 142)
197 Schumacher (49 76 72)

Constructors totals

1608 Red Bull
1329 McLaren
1171 Ferrari
521 Mercedes

That you don't know what today's date is, perhaps?
Ugh. lol. Dude why is this at the top of my newsfeed? Fucking Facebook. I'm new to using Facebook so don't know how the news feed works apparently. :\

This post is above posts made today even. Does it get bumped every time someone makes a comment or like? Honest question. Forgive my stupidity.

Shaneus

This has to be the top 3 otherwise you're stupid.

Valencia and Abu having two of the best races is mental.
Melbourne. Because I was there.

So fuck you.

I'm considering doing this and travelling Europe a bit in between.
Fuck it, we should do something like this. Going by myself (or taking a punt on whether other people might go to even one of the races) would be largely uninteresting, but if there are a few GAFfers who would be out of their comfort zone with me, it'd make the leap a bit easier! And organising tickets in the same areas (should we choose allocated seats) would be beneficial, too.

Even if i do like a lot KK it would be way much too cruel of Lotus to not sign Grosjean again for next year, I don't even understand why they haven't still, it put way too much pressure on him on the last quarter of the season forcing him to score shitty points and staying behind Raikkonen (those 7th 8th and 9th rank in the last few races, "Bruno Senna style")

Too much pressure? welcome to F1. If you can't handle pressure you can fuck off..

Even Alan Prost said that Grosjean fucked up and he ended his season on a low, and it's up to Lotus to choose reliability or speed. No one is defending him except Lotus btw

F1 drivers need to be fast, consistent and able to handle pressure. The later is very very important for any team that could fight for wins, and Lotus is one of those teams.

Gros is a GP2 champion, I've heard he also dominated, so pressure is not the issue here I would say, it's just sheer stupidity. First I thought it was arrogance but he simply has no awareness of his surroundings. He almost collected Kimi when his fron wing was stuck behind his car.

Speed means nothing if you can't bring the car home. Just ask Prupose, even that ugly-face is learning, but not Crashjean.

That being said, I'm sure he will get re-signed for next year, I'm just hoping that he doesn't

CiSTM

Banned
More on Koba and Lotus.

New team boss??

Full translated article from Kulta

Make it happen

Considering the money problems Lotus has had I doubt they will go with Kobi. They need someone who they can market and bring in some sponsor money. There are few Brazilian drivers that seem to have good skills and some sponsor money.

Considering the money problems Lotus has had I doubt they will go with Kobi. They need someone who they can market and bring in some sponsor money. There are few Brazilian drivers that seem to have good skills and some sponsor money.

You never know what's happening behind the scenes now. Few millions is not a bg deal in terms of sponsorship and especially investments. Maybe they're discussing selling part of the team to a Japanese investor? Maybe Honda will want to come back with a decent team and start working on the V6's?

So many maybes so we can't discard any theory or possibility at this point. I really really hope Grosjean gets the boot, every linked driver to his seat is more interesting so far. Kova, Koba, Kubica

wait.. three Ks? OMG!

Massa

Ferrari officially dropped their Vettel complaint.

Another pointless circus in F1 to keep people paying attention... who would have thought?

CiSTM

Banned
You never know what's happening behind the scenes now. Few millions is not a bg deal in terms of sponsorship and especially investments. Maybe they're discussing selling part of the team to a Japanese investor? Maybe Honda will want to come back with a decent team and start working on the V6's?

So many maybes so we can't discard any theory or possibility at this point. I really really hope Grosjean gets the boot, every linked driver to his seat is more interesting so far. Kova, Koba, Kubica

wait.. three Ks? OMG!
I was just offering counter maybe for "maybe Lotus will get kobi". There is always room for speculation. But since there isn't big demand for F1 in Japan (Kobi's win came too late), big boys got owned badly last time they were around and they managed to piss off their sponsors at same time. Money talks and while I like Kobi he isn't kind driver that you can't replace, with someone who actually brings in the money.

Shaneus, wna do a stop @ amersterdam after Spa? ;)

Milan is boring as hell, I was there in 2008, and there won't be enough days to go down to Rome inbetween races

DD

Who? Besides Senna, I see no other brazilian driver in the same situation. Maybe Felipe Nasr, but he's staying in GP2 for 2013 before trying to enter the F1. Both Senna and Nasr are funded by the billionaire Eike Batista, but it's not that much, actually. Senna's biggest sponsor is actually an american company called Procter & Gamble.

CiSTM

Banned
Who? Besides Senna, I see no other brazilian driver in the same situation. Maybe Felipe Nasr, but he's staying in GP2 for 2013 before trying to enter the F1. Both Senna and Nasr are funded by the billionaire Eike Batista, but it's not that much, actually. Senna's biggest sponsor is actually an american company called Procter & Gamble.

Luiz Razia is one of the hottest name at the moment and he has deep pockets. If he doesn't drive in 2013 then he will drive in 2014. Not to mention he competed in the Young Driver test for Lotus few years back.
Both Fabio Gamberini and Felipe Nasr already have some sponsors lined up but since they are so young I don't think they will drive next year, at least not in lotus. Now that it seems Massa will be out sooner or later I think there is even more chances of new young Braz driver in F1.

edit. they will keep crashjean, probably.

DD

Luiz Razia is one of the hottest name at the moment and he has deep pockets. If he doesn't drive in 2013 then he will drive in 2014. Not to mention he competed in the Young Driver test for Lotus few years back.
Both Fabio Gamberini and Felipe Nasr already have some sponsors lined up but since they are so young I don't think they will drive next year, at least not in lotus. Now that it seems Massa will be out sooner or later I think there is even more chances of new young Braz driver in F1.
Razia drove really really well in GP2 this year, and I really want to see him with a seat in the F1 next year. The problem is that he's been for a while on the GP2 Series, so that can depreciate his image. He drove on the young driver test for Force India and Toro Rosso this year too, and was the backup driver for the ex-green Lotus (now Catherham). But I really don't know anything about big sponsors for him. Felipe Nasr, on the other hand, have some, like OGX and Banco do Brasil.

About Fabio Gamberini, I really don't know anything about him, haha.

I emailed the site a couple days ago and asked if there was an English version or way to submit money but I haven't heard back.

That's frustrating, I'm sure he can double that amount if only there was some other means to pay and an english version of his site.

Maybe we should email autosport or another famous website and ask for that? I'm sure they would be able to help

Top Bottom