• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

DD

People don't usually pay attention to the pace of drivers in a race, they just want to see overtakes and crashes and eventful things.
Yep, and remembering that Maldonado beat Barrichello on the qualys last year too, and it was his very first year in the F1 (!)

Well he brings some minor sponsors from Finland but at the same time he will get paid by the team. I wouldn't say that he is pay driver.
Just like Senna, Petrov, Alonso... It's the same situation. =P

Because Maldonado crashed in half of them?

I don't get it, how anyone can be happy with scoring 1-2 points, when car is easily good enough for Top 5 in more than 10 races? Williams surely isn't because they signed Bottas.

Any top driver would score 100-150 points in Williams this year. Senna with his 30 was abysmal. Maldonado at least has shown pace and much calmer 3rd part of championship. Senna has show nothing to justify his place in top or midfield team. I don't even think he deserves any drive in F1, when the likes of Sutil or Alguersuari are waiting on sidelines.
How can we know? Because Maldonado won a race early in the season? Well, Mercedes has won a race too, but in the end Rosberg (the guy who beat no one less than Schumacher for three years in a row) didn't manage to score one single point in the last 6 races.

F1 isn't as simple as 2+2=4.

Ark

tumblr_me7w1shPFN1rp29lio1_500.jpg

Kimi's 2004 season in one photo.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just heard on BBC Radio: Ferrari are "evaluating footage that reportedly shows Vettel performing an illegal overtaking move during the Brazilian GP".

Shaneus

Pretty sure that Senna and Petrov don't get paid by the team. Alonso of course does.
99% sure Petrov doesn't get paid by the team *at all*. Part of the reason he was able to stay was because of the sponsorship from Russian Helicopter and the reason he's in doubt is due to people not backing him (just how many, I don't know) anymore.

If the rumour of Heikki potentially going to Lotus is true, then it would almost guarantee Petrov staying at Caterham. Personally I'd love to see Petrov back at Lotus, but we'll see. Be interesting given that Petrov seemed to outperform Heikki on a somewhat frequent basis (correct me if I'm wrong, though). At least, he finished well ahead of him (as far as non-points finishers go) at the end of the season.

dubc35

Ferrari has nothing to gain in protesting to the FIA. They're not going to go back and take Vettel's title away. If they protest all they're going to do is make themselves look bad.

K444WSR

Just read the article on the bbc website....wouldn't like Alonso winning due to retroactive penalties, but knowing the sport, nothing would surprise me. Hopefully common sense prevails.

Ark

If Vettel really did perform an illegal overtake, then it should be penalised. Rules are rules. It would be disappointing, but the rules regarding the flags are pretty straight forward.

I imagine if he did perform an illegal overtake the FIA would have seen it during the race. I'm just assuming this is all the Spanish/Italian media.

Zeppu

If Vettel really did perform an illegal overtake, then it should be penalised. Rules are rules. It would be disappointing, but the rules regarding the flags are pretty straight forward.

I imagine if he did perform an illegal overtake the FIA would have seen it during the race. I'm just assuming this is all the Spanish/Italian media.

I'm guessing with access to all the camera angles and onboard cameras from all the cars on track, they have at least one which clearly shows whether the marshall's flag before the johnny walker banner was green or not.

Bo-Locks

I knew this wasn't over. Some people will just accuse Ferrari of sour grapes, and say that the result is set, and that it can't/shouldn't be changed. That isn't the point.

This issue was highlighted by a major broadcaster at the time and yet as far as I'm aware the stewards didn't even look into it. Is that not suspicious, that the race stewards didn't even deem the incident worthy of a second look?

It is. It's a little embarrassing at this point.

Also, the last official thing I heard was still that the race result is final (aside from an illegal car) and that Ferrari weren't doing anything.

This issue was highlighted by a major broadcaster at the time and yet as far as I'm aware the stewards didn't even look into it. Is that not suspicious, that the race stewards didn't even deem the incident worthy of a second look?

The thing sky showed was cleared up by stewards as slippery track warnings. There are two other examples, neither of which are any more concrete.

Isn't that the same thing we saw in reverse where the guy has a green flag? Or is this yet another overtake on Vergne? Hard to tell without any sort of lap indicator.

Look back a few pages for what I was talking about... and there is a flag on this particular incident too:

xq7wq2yp.gif

(gif is crappy, sorry. I'm sure there's probably better out there.)

Omiee

I would want it to get overturned for Omiee's reaction alone

=(

But seriously this would be a disaster for the sport if they decided the championship the week after.

If they gave him a drive through he could have fought back to the front again.

Cant see this happening though.

Lach

Whatever happens now, this will be talked about for years to come.

I personally think it's way too late to overturn the result of the race. But it should have consequences for the stewarts. This is a thing that could have easily been recognized by an automatic system that knows the position of the cars on the track and the positions of the marshallposts...

Dead Man

=(

But seriously this would be a disaster for the sport if they decided the championship the week after.

If they gave him a drive through he could have fought back to the front again.

Cant see this happening though.

I would rather breaches of rules be enforced. If (and that is a very hypothetical 'if') someone did breach the rules which helped them win a title and it WASN'T penalised, that would be a farce as well.

acm2000

dont worry, the bbc has pulled their article out of their asses (internet forums etc), FIA said theyre not aware of anything, and Ferrari already said its not interested

Whatever happens now, this will be talked about for years to come.

Doubtful. Ferrari wont appeal and it wont be known about by more than a handful of fans in the first place.

Plus, those of us who do know about it, and have eyes, can clearly see the green flag being waved anyway so it's largely irrelevant.

Koba linked to Lotus now - http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/8293781/Kobayashi-linked-to-Grosjean-s-seat

As Lotus' Gerald Lopez explained to Finland's Turun Sanomat: "Kimi comes at a cost to us, but on the other hand he helps us to more successful in the manufacturers' standings, bringing even more money to the team."

Grosjean, though, comes at a cost to the team as the Frenchman netted less than half Raikkonen's 207 points, largely due to his own errors and his Italian GP ban.

As such, Lotus are believed to be looking around with Kobayashi linked to the team in what Lotus reportedly believe would be a "stable partnership".

Bo-Locks

Kobayashi at Lotus sounds too good to be true. Should he get the chance, then it will be his last and lets hope Boullier won't give him the boot mid-season.

Fucking prick.

Top Bottom