• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Adamm

Is anyone planning to apply for that 12th slot? USF1 looololololol

What does happen now, will the 12th slot be open to teams to apply for?
and isn't the 13th slot still open?
and if a new team wanted to join, wouldn't it have been easier to buy HRT?

Also if it stays as 11 teams, how will qualifying work? Instead of being 7,7,10 will it be 6,6,10? 5,7,10? 7,7,8?

Not for 2013. That window is already closed I think. For 2014 there have been a few interested parties because of the Engine change.

I would say the window for 2014 has essentially closed by now as well with the lack of engine suppliers.

As I've said many times before, HRT going under is good for no one in F1, and I wouldn't be surprised if it snowballed into the demise of Caterham and Marussia if they fail to reach the points in the next couple of years.

Di Montezemolo slams Bernie.

Formula 1 supremo Ecclestone had condemned Ferrari’s clarification request to the FIA regarding Sebastian Vettel’s overtake on Jean-Éric Vergne in the opening phase of the season finale in Brazil. Discussing the alleged pass under yellow flags on Lap 4, Ecclestone was quoted by the Daily Telegraph as saying: "It’s a complete joke. What they (Ferrari) are saying in that letter is completely and utterly wrong."

The reply from the higher echelons of Ferrari, however, didn’t take long – and it also included some harsh words. Talking to Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport as he attended the Ferrari Day in Valencia, di Montezemolo dismissed Ecclestone’s criticism.

"You have to show respect for your elders, especially when they get to that stage in which they are no longer in control of what they say," the 65-year-old quipped. "However, old age is clearly incompatible with certain roles and responsibilities."
More of this rambling at the link: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/288192/di-montezemolo-slams-ecclestone-criticism/

While I chuckled, I can't say that Monti is the one to talk.

401277_10151156966298325_459039933_n.jpg

Kimi gave Vettel 20 points over Alonso - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvj15t_123_auto

Autosport awards, live on twitter https://twitter.com/autosportlive

Yes but Monti never suggested ideas like sprinklers on the tracks

But he suggested 3 cars for the big teams, which is almost as stupid if you ask me.

You can argue that sprinkles might enhance the show, but what will 3 cars do beside allowing Ferrari to put Schumi back in a car?

acm2000

watching back that itv montage, i forgot how many truly amazing moments that ITV had in their spell of F1

also, after just reading what Di Montezemolo said about Bernie/FIA, maybe Fernando International Assistance wont be so strong next year, be nice to have a good, fair fight all season.

Ark

But he suggested 3 cars for the big teams, which is almost as stupid if you ask me.

You can argue that sprinkles might enhance the show, but what will 3 cars do beside allowing Ferrari to put Schumi back in a car?

It wasn't so long ago that F1 teams still had a spare car. It would allow more rookies to get track time during practice and you're weekend wouldn't be handicapped if you had an engine failure during FP2 or something.

It's too expensive now though.

It wasn't so long ago that F1 teams still had a spare car. It would allow more rookies to get track time during practice and you're weekend wouldn't be handicapped if you had an engine failure during FP2 or something.

It's too expensive now though.

Wait, was he talking about a spare car? or racing 3 cars?

also, after just reading what Di Montezemolo said about Bernie/FIA, maybe Fernando International Assistance wont be so strong next year, be nice to have a good, fair fight all season.

I don't think anything will change. It's just two old men rambling from the sidelines.

operon

It won't happen due to the expense but you could argue that a 3rd Red bull, McLaren Ferrari, but be more benefit to racing than hrt was, with the added benefit of more drivers getting to drive for a top team. But it ain't happening

DrM

Redmond's Baby
3 cars, but I decided to go on about spare cars because they actually make practical sense.

Customer cars on the other hand, would be interesting.

Why is or was Ferrari so hot for 3rd car rule? Because they could test loads of new parts with 3rd car in race conditions...

Why is or was Ferrari so hot for 3rd car rule? Because they could test loads of new parts with 3rd car in race conditions...

Well, that and they'd like to see all-Ferrari podiums. I'm sure if they got their wish and we had a couple of years of Red Bull domination from three cars, they'd quickly change their tune.

Massa

Some of you might have seen it, but there's an on-board video of Pedro the HRT from the Malaysia FP1 and it shows how much of a dog that car was. He really had to fight the car, even on the wide corners.

Sadly I couldn't find a better video, so I had to compare it to an onboard lap from Maldonado in the race (both of them are dry laps, though).

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...v=g16MHIQBTcc&start2=23&authorName=meahwahwah

There was this one made in 2011 comparing the HRT and Red Bull.

I can only assume this was tongue in cheek by Button:

Speaking about his season's conclusion, Button, who was named the 2012 British Competition Driver of the Year at the Autosport Awards, said: "It has been a very up and down year for us.

"[Winning in Brazil] was a great way to end the season and hopefully for all the guys working that'll be good for 2013.

"I had so many angry Ferrari fans, but it was nice to make Christian [Horner] happy. I look forward to doing that again many times next year."

Adamm

Anyone know whats going to happen to sky sports F1 over the winter break? Are they going to show any new content? or will they just repeat old races?

I'm assuming that was just badly put. As in...

"I'm looking forward to winning again many times next year"

Rather than looking forward to making Horner happy. :D

Looks like Turkey could be back next season.

Turkish businessman Vural Ak is aiming to revive the country's Grand Prix next season, having purchased an 11-year lease on the Istanbul Park circuit. With New Jersey's postponement reducing the 2013 calendar to 19 races and a French Grand Prix bid failing to materialise, hopes are high that a long-term deal can be reached.

"Mr. Ecclestone is looking at a seven-year contract," Ak explained. "He told me he wanted $26 million to put on the race (in the first year), but said he was willing to make a little sacrifice from that figure.

"I will put in $5 million out of my own pocket - I am not thinking in terms of making a lot of money here. The government will contribute $13.5 million. Therefore we will be stuck somewhere in the middle."

Ak, speaking to local media last week, said he was optimistic of receiving a 'positive decision' from Ecclestone in the coming days, with contract discussions ongoing.

"We are hoping to have a positive decision from Mr. Ecclestone next week," he added of the negotiations. "I have guaranteed him a minimum of 50,000 spectators on race day, but I expect about 80,000.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/288257/turkey-targets-grand-prix-return-in-2013/

Lets hope Bernie isn't just playing games again.

I'm assuming that was just badly put. As in...

"I'm looking forward to winning again many times next year"

Rather than looking forward to making Horner happy. :D

That makes way more sense. Not sure why I didn't see it that way.

Whaaaa? Unless you mean his personality or something and aren't talking about his driving skill.

Personality ofcourse. But even when it comes to his skills I don't agree with who talks about his skills like he's the best in the sport because he's not. If crappy massa was able to outpace him in the last 4-5 races then he's only good but not how Ferrari or even Alonso himslef wants you to believe

I'd rank him below Kimi, Hamilton, and vettel .

The crappiest in terms of skills is button of course

Personality ofcourse. But even when it comes to his skills I don't agree with who talks about his skills like he's the best in the sport because he's not. If crappy massa was able to outpace him in the last 4-5 races then he's only good but not how Ferrari or even Alonso himslef wants you to believe

I'd rank him below Kimi, Hamilton, and vettel .

The crappiest in terms of skills is button of course

Well Massa also outpaced Kimi in 2008... Massa is better than people give him credit for. It's just that after the accident he has been shit.

“Although I don’t have as many titles as Fangio or Schumacher I see myself as one of the best Formula 1 drivers.”

http://english.gazzetta.it/Motor_sp...massa-too-much-controversy-913392882443.shtml

Cheezus, shut the fuck up, Fernando!
cropped-1246598-picard_facepalm_icon.jpg

As a Ferrari supporter (but not an Alonso fan) I'm certainly biased, but I don't see how he's wrong about that. I'd definitely hate him, if he wasn't driving for the team I'm rooting for, so I get where the haters come from.

Like him or not, Alonso is one of the best drivers and the best tool Ferrari has. That second place in the constructors is a miracle.

DD

As I've said before, even hating Alonso, I do agree that he's one of thegreatest of all time. Period. But I think that it's not up to him to put himself on that God Tier. He is, in fact, the only one who shouldn't say that. Be humble, for Christ sake...

Not even Schumacher has a so inflated ego as Alonso's.

Xun

Maybe it's a British thing, but I've never liked massive ego like that. Win, hell, dominate even, but do it with some class.

As I've said before, even hating Alonso, I do agree that he's one of thegreatest of all time. Period. But I think that it's not up to him to put himself on that God Tier. He is, in fact, the only one who shouldn't say that. Be humble, for Christ sake...

Not even Schumacher has a so inflated ego as Alonso's.
Agreed.

He's the Federer of the sport in my eyes.

Massa

As a Ferrari supporter (but not an Alonso fan) I'm certainly biased, but I don't see how he's wrong about that. I'd definitely hate him, if he wasn't driving for the team I'm rooting for, so I get where the haters come from.

Like him or not, Alonso is one of the best drivers and the best tool Ferrari has. That second place in the constructors is a miracle.

The point is not whether he's in that league or not. You just don't say shit like that about yourself.

Top Bottom