• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

but i thought vettel cant race/overtake? yeah, shut up ferrari fans :p

you don't need to be rude! Facts/results been harsh enough on them :p

Ferrari forced Schumacher into retirement? That's a new one for me.

There's a theory that LdM wanted to break the stronghold of the F1 team as it grew too much in power that even sponsors were approaching Todt not him..

Easy to overtake in the fastest car...or something.

I'm joking!

or am I?

You're not.. GOO KIMI!!

There's a study done by Speed-something proves that the McLaren was the fastest car on average, followed by Redbull, Lotus and Ferrari

DD

“The grave of Ayrton Senna is here in Sao Paulo. Maybe someone has to go there and tell him what his nephew did today.”

Aw, please, someone please tell me that Vettel didn't said that...

It's geting really hard to not dislike him. Really hard...

I don't remember him benefiting all that much from a lot of DNFs, but perhaps he did. I know he benefited a lot from having a reliable car, but that's not quite the same thing.

Well... it sort of is. If you start 8th and three guys in front of you don't finish because their cars blew up then you're benefiting from your reliable car.

Numerous times this year we saw Hamilton (Singapore, Abu Dhabi), Button (Italy), Vettel (Spain) and Webber (Abu Dhabi, USA) ahead of Alonso when their car blew up.

Where did you read it? If it's from the Spanish, Italian or Brazilian media then it's likely bullshit. If not, then it's probably true.

Shaneus

“The grave of Ayrton Senna is here in Sao Paulo. Maybe someone has to go there and tell him what his nephew did today.”

Join usssss......

;)

I don't understand the deal with Schumacher. He was a lot slower than Vettel at the moment of the race, so he couldn't defend his position without to do something crazy.

DD

Vettel first fell in my ranks when he crashed onto Webber in Turkey and got out of the car making stupid gestures when it was clear for everyone that it was his fault. But I tough that it was okay, it's the heat of the moment.

Then he whines like a bitch behind Karthikeyan and later calls him "cucumber". Yeah, I agree that Narain often do some shit on the track, but dammit, Sebastian was a two times world champion by that time. He shouldn't be acting like a brat anymore.

And then, again he crashes into another car and blames the other driver for the mess that he created. It's time to grow some balls, act like and adult and accept his mistakes and learn from it.

I don't understand the deal with Schumacher. He was a lot slower than Vettel at the moment of the race, so he couldn't defend his position without to do something crazy.

Yup. It's a silly thing to get upset about, because this wasn't an Alonso/Petrov situation. Vettel would've passed him a lap or two later anyway.

e: All thanks to DRS, of course. Because we know that Vettel can't overtake.

Zeppu

I like Vettel. He's a great driver and when he's fighting he produces spectacular races.

He does whine needlessly a lot and talks forever in interviews but that being said he seems like a genuinely funny/nice guy otherwise.

Yoritomo

He was responding to a question from a famous asshole german reporter. The reporter asked something along the lines. " How do you feel that Ayrton Senna's Nephew ran into you in the race?" They like to ask really fanwanky questions to Vettel. Vettel was trying to take him down a peg and make him feel like an asshole for asking the question.

Even better Vettel's response would in context be more like "The grave of Ayrton Senna is here in Sao Paulo. Maybe I should go there and whine about what his nephew did today." or "Maybe I should go there and cry Ayrton a river."

Here's the full translation

...I had to break early and lost positions as a result and obviously was not in the greatest... in the best position on approach of turn four. I got a hit from behind and [suddenly] saw the field coming straight at me and found myself sitting duck as a Geisterfahrer (German term for drivers, who enter the motorway in the wrong direction) in turn four, which wasn't ideal. Doesn't matter much, I continued immediately, noticed that things seemed reasonably ok, front wing was still there...
I think we were surprisingly quickly back up front, the conditions helped us a bit. When it started to dry it got harder for us, because, well, we had a lot of damage on the car. There was nothing we could do on the straight, which is why I couldn't overtake much.
Err, yeah,... Ferarri tried to do their best to use Felippe as a bit of a road block... err, yeah... generally... we had all sorts of stunble block thrown in our path, but in the end it worked out. With the rain at the end we could make up a lot of time again. The pitstop... the timing was a $hit as possible. Well, in the end it was meant to be, we never lost faith in making it, even when we were facing the wrong way in turn four. We could continue, didn't give up, didn't lose faith,... I still have no clue at all what to say...

Ebel: Yeah, one has to try sorting all that out first, with all that has happened. Surely Mark Webber wasn't as big a help in the team as Felippe Massa has been for Fernando Alonso then comes the Nephew of Ayrton Senna and piles into your car *here in Brasil*. What went through your mind in such a moment?

Vettel: (laughs somewhat awkwardly)
Ich had before... don't know... we'll have to see... The grave of Ayrton Senna is here in Sau Paolo, on the cemetery in Morumbi. Maybe I should visit it and tell him what his nephew has done there... [all accompanied by somewhat strained laugher] (It's abit of a wordplay on 'Geh doch petzen', which is the German counterpart to 'Cry me a river' in essence it meant 'maybe I should go and cry Ayrton a river') ... it of course didn't help much, but in the end we can say it didn't matter because all worked out at the end. It was of course a pity at the time, because we lost a lot of ground, no doubt and we lost pace due to the damage on the car, but as I said it was meant to be. The rain at the end was a big help. A lot of people were convinced that we wouldn't have a chance in case of rain, but the exact opposite proved to be the case.

Ebel: And Jenson Button helped, too. If he would've retired it would all have been over with a bang. I think one could show some gratitude and send send a case of red wine from Hesse (Vettels home region) to Daddy Button.

Vettel: (again tries to find a suitable answer to that complete drivel of a question, covers up with awkward laughter)
I don't think this is a case of thanking others, we had a hard enough time out there. Everybody did his own race today. Congratulations of course to Jenson. Don't know what happened to Lewis, he suddenly stood there after turn 4...

Ebel: Crash with Hülkenberg

Vettel: Ah, ok...
Erm, yeah, Woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't matter in the end we did it, that's what counts. And a lot of weight fall off [my shoulders]

Ebel: You finished on Inters, but, maybe you can tell us, why did you change to the slicks shortly before that? That make it even more thrilling in the end.

Vettel: It certainly didn't help, no. Our tires were in bad condition and the pace wasn't there when it dried. We knew that rain was about to come, I wanted to stay out another lap, but we also had lost the team radio - now that *really* helped, especcially when it starts to pi$$ down,

Ebel: To rain. We all know the new FIA language codex

Vettel: (sarcastically)
Yeah, well make sure you adhere to it then. Yeah, well, and straight back in the next lap. I was yelling "Inter, Inter", but nobody was there. They were all too busy trying to unwrap the tires. Anyway, a completely crazy race, you can't stage it any crazier.

Ebel: Our Champion! Three times world champion. That begs the question, how big a blast you'll have tonight?

Vettel:
We'll see. There're a lot of people in line (other interviewers) who are waiting. But we'll think of something. Last but not least I want to send greetings back home, thank you for keeping your fingers crossed ('thumbs pressed' in German). I'm sorry if it (the excitement) made some of you fall off the couch, in the car it was no less thrilling. I'm very proud of the team, the whole team. I think this year was a very hard year for us. Especially in the later races it was visible that the others tried everything. In a way I was brought up with 'lies have short legs' (German sying, meaning that lying/cheating or any other misconduct doesn't get one very far) and 'Honesty gets you farther'.

Ya'll are worse than a bunch of women arguing over who said who and HOW they said it. People hate Vettel cause he's winning, has a high pitched voice, and holds his finger up when he wins or gets pole. Jenson can do his little W, Webber can do his podium jump, Alonso can do his hand puppet applause and no one cares. The problem is you've seen Vettel's finger 60 times as a result of a win or Pole in the last 4 years.

At least it's not as bad as everyone jumping down Hamilton's throat for making an Ali G reference about his interaction with race stewards last year. There is no spiritual winner of the WDC. Vettel has won 3 WDCs and is younger than Schumacher was when Schumi won his first. Adrian can be beaten, it's happened before. The Red Bull has the weakest of the top 3 engines. If the entire resources of McLaren and Ferrari with their superior engines can't overcome the aerodynamic genius of Newey then they and their drivers deserve to lose. One of the slowest cars in the straights has more on track passes than the others in a year when on the balance they didn't have the fastest car the majority of the time.

The tyre lottery will be back next year.

A dramatic start to the 2012 campaign saw seven different winners from the first seven races, with the unpredictability being heavily attributed to Pirelli's new rubber. However, as the season wore on and data was gathered at various circuits, Hembery said teams were able to understand the differences and 'dominate the situation'.

When asked by GPUpdate.net if increased degradation and wider operating windows are expected in 2013, Hembery replied: "That’s pretty much it. There’s a more rapid warm-up and more temperature going into the tyres, basically because they are working harder and because we’ll have a bigger footprint in cornering.

"With the changes we’re making to the compounds we’re trying to bring back some degradation levels, because quite frankly at the end of the season we were in negative degradation and maybe not where we were asked to be. We were maybe repeating some races from the past where we were down to one pit-stop and I’m not going to say it was too easy, but teams were dominating the situation."
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/288340/pirelli-higher-degradation-levels-in-2013/

operon

He was responding to a question from a famous asshole german reporter. The reporter asked something along the lines. " How do you feel that Ayrton Senna's Nephew ran into you in the race?" They like to ask really fanwanky questions to Vettel. Vettel was trying to take him down a peg and make him feel like an asshole for asking the question.

Even better Vettel's response would in context be more like "The grave of Ayrton Senna is here in Sao Paulo. Maybe I should go there and whine about what his nephew did today." or "Maybe I should go there and cry Ayrton a river."

Here's the full translation

Ya'll are worse than a bunch of women arguing over who said who and HOW they said it. People hate Vettel cause he's winning, has a high pitched voice, and holds his finger up when he wins or gets pole. Jenson can do his little W, Webber can do his podium jump, Alonso can do his hand puppet applause and no one cares. The problem is you've seen Vettel's finger 60 times as a result of a win or Pole in the last 4 years.

At least it's not as bad as everyone jumping down Hamilton's throat for making an Ali G reference about his interaction with race stewards last year. There is no spiritual winner of the WDC. Vettel has won 3 WDCs and is younger than Schumacher was when Schumi won his first. Adrian can be beaten, it's happened before. The Red Bull has the weakest of the top 3 engines. If the entire resources of McLaren and Ferrari with their superior engines can't overcome the aerodynamic genius of Newey then they and their drivers deserve to lose. One of the slowest cars in the straights has more on track passes than the others in a year when on the balance they didn't have the fastest car the majority of the time.

Talk about a complete over simplification. Red Bull may have one of the slowest straight line speeds but that it because of their philosophy of being very quick in the corners. The are more slow corners on a track then there are straights. Plus when Vettel did start from the pit lane they changed his gearing so he went from one of the slowest in a straight line to the 4th fastest.

Mastah

Found by intelligentF1:

Inevitably the cost of F1 continued to spiral and despite the injection of some new sponsorship funds the financial outlook is grim. Virtually every driver now has to provide some sponsorship of his own to earn his seat – ability alone no longer is enough.

2012? Nope, quote from 1971 Autosport :)

Yoritomo

Talk about a complete over simplification. Red Bull may have one of the slowest straight line speeds but that it because of their philosophy of being very quick in the corners. The are more slow corners on a track then there are straights. Plus when Vettel did start from the pit lane they changed his gearing so he went from one of the slowest in a straight line to the 4th fastest.

You need clear air to get that speed in corners. So are you arguing that the renault has more power than the merc or ferrari engines? If the renault isn't as powerful the redbull already starts with a deficit. If ferrari can't design a car to compete then they deserve the loss.

Chris R

Wait, I thought Vettel turned in on Senna? I deleted the race off my DVR so I can't go back and watch it again but I remember thinking at the time that Senna did nothing wrong there :|

Does anyone other than Omie here likes Vettel?

I quite like him.

He's very fast and like Schumacher works very hard with the team to understand the technical aspects, works with the tyre supplier and any other angle he can learn from to get an advantage.

While verbose, he does tend to share a good bit of information during questions and has a good sense of humor.

I really like Vettel. Top lad. One of my favourite drivers.

I think this perception everyone dislikes him is incredibly wrong. Nobody wants him to dominate, that's all.

Yoritomo

Wait, I thought Vettel turned in on Senna? I deleted the race off my DVR so I can't go back and watch it again but I remember thinking at the time that Senna did nothing wrong there :|

Senna was never in his sight line. He was coming around the force india and after passing the force india cut onto the racing line. Bruno's move on the inside also meant that Bruno had to have the racing line clear in order to make it stick. Both made a risky move on the first lap. If they were only battling each other it would have been Vettel's fault, but as a first lap incident with multiple cars in the mix, racing incident.

Chris R

I'd have no problem with Vettel winning the next 5+ WDCs in a row just as long as they come down to the final few races and it isn't just race after race of him getting pole and then leading every lap, securing the WDC by the 2/3rd point of the season.

Austria > Turkey. Fact.

Marko will get it sorted:

With [Dietrich] Mateschitz, you can never say never,” he admitted in the wake of Red Bull's ongoing championship celebrations, "but, at the moment, the economy is healthiest in Asia and South America.

"There are sanctioning fees of around $20-30m that need to be paid, so one simply has to ask the question of where does this come from, but let's see how it develops.

DD

Oh, so Seb wasn't blaming Bruno after all. My bad, sorry for all my whining here, heh.

But I'm still mad with him for calling the cucumber a Karthikeyan, that's for sure...

And YES, Turkey is cool, but Austria is even better. Please Bernie, make it happen!

You need clear air to get that speed in corners.

Well, no, that really depends on an enormous number of factors, most of which are relative to the specific car (including its level of mechanical grip, ability to circumvent EBD diffuser rules, its balance, its gear rations, among other things), whoever is in front of them, the track conditions, their line in and out of the corner, the speed they carried into the corner on said line...

That sort of blanket statement is just pointless, basically.

2012? Nope, quote from 1971 Autosport :)

Nice find. Sadly, I think F1 will soon find itself on the brink of financial buggery once again, the repercussions of HRT's apparent exit on Caterham and Marussia being among the most imminent dangers.

DD

Hmm, it seems that Tukey's race needs public money to happen, and the sports minister said that the government is not going to put any money on that.

So it's probably goint to happen in Austria or maybe in France.

Yoritomo

Well, no, that really depends on an enormous number of factors, most of which are relative to the specific car (including its level of mechanical grip, ability to circumvent EBD diffuser rules, its balance, its gear rations, among other things), whoever is in front of them, the track conditions, their line in and out of the corner, the speed they carried into the corner on said line...

That sort of blanket statement is just pointless, basically.

If you want to build the fastest car on the grid, what engine would you choose?

Isn't the Mercedes engine the best option for that?

That is my understanding.

If you want to build the fastest car on the grid, what engine would you choose?

If I were in that position, I would hope very much that I was aware that it takes much more than an specific engine to achieve anything in F1, let along to build the fastest car.

DD said:
So it's probably goint to happen in Austria or maybe in France.

Pretty sure the last anyone heard, France needed public money as well - and that's less likely to come from France than it is from Turkey.

Ouch... It's not cool seeing France without a race there. =/

Yeah it's a bit of a bugger, not just because of France's motoring heritage, but for the current renaissance for French drivers.

But that said, if the French automotive industry doesn't see the value in stepping up and supporting a French GP bid, fuck 'em. Go somewhere else.

Yoritomo

If I were in that position, I would hope very much that I was aware that it takes much more than an specific engine to achieve anything in F1, let along to build the fastest car.

Genie grants you the engine. Which do you wish for?

I just find it amazing that all the money and technical prowess at Ferrari can't seem to beat a guy who uses a drafting board and paper. Hell they're even fighting to open up engine development again because they can't get any advantage in aero from a man who's dream is to design boats. Even if Vettel and Webber were to leave Red Bull I'd find a driver from Red Bull to back. As a software developer with a minor in physics any sport that reveres engineers is the one I follow, and newey is their god.

I need to get that man's signature next year.

Was it last year, when we had the Apple, Google, Microsoft comparison between Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren?

Ferrari - Microsoft
McLaren - Google
Red Bull - Apple

Any objections?

Shaneus

Makes sense. The bottom of the Apple logo even somewhat resembles Mark's chin:
QPWCM.jpg

zfgxq.jpg

Genie grants you the engine. Which do you wish for?

Again, it's pointless as it depends on so many factors, and the differences between the engines are largely negligible in this era. You could build a championship winning car with any of the engines (with the possible exception of the Cosworth), and what may be the 'fastest' car on one particular track in one particular set of conditions has no guarantee of not being surpassed by another at a different place or point in time. There's not really absolutes like that in F1.

Top Bottom