• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Shaneus

Fuck I love that guy.

He seems quite relaxed and open with a lot of his media obligations now. Was he always like that? I had the impression that he always just wanted it over with, but during that video the fact that he's actually cracking a smile now and then (and not forcing it... genuinely letting it slip) would indicate that he's a little more relaxed. At least, more than I ever gave him credit for.

Something else for a bit of a laugh:
Great to catch up with good old Queanbeyan mates @FaingaaTwins and big @JHorwill. Great night boys cheers.
Better shot this one... #lads

Strikes me as funny for some reason.

And some more funnies from a few years back:
Merry Christmas from Sebastien Vettel
Merry Christmas from Mark Webber

Addnan

Posted on Lotus twitter account.
find Kimi

eCw0I.jpg

Fuck I love that guy.

He seems quite relaxed and open with a lot of his media obligations now. Was he always like that? I had the impression that he always just wanted it over with, but during that video the fact that he's actually cracking a smile now and then (and not forcing it... genuinely letting it slip) would indicate that he's a little more relaxed. At least, more than I ever gave him credit for.
Well he has said that he really enjoys himself at Lotus so maybe that has something to do with it. Not as much politics as with Mclaren and Ferrari. When it comes to racing everything is done as best as possible but otherwise athmosphere is very relaxed. I think that you really can see it from Twitter of Lotus.

Well he has said that he really enjoys himself at Lotus so maybe that has something to do with it. Not as much politics as with Mclaren and Ferrari. When it comes to racing everything is done as best as possible but otherwise athmosphere is very relaxed. I think that you really can see it from Twitter of Lotus.

Lotus definitely has the best Twitter account of all the F1 teams. They post great pictures, funny comics and seem mostly relaxed. Cracking some jokes during the races here and there.

Blablurn

Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck.

Please be KK. I have a good feeling it is, although it's not like Honeywell is a Japanese company... (but it does mean they're not short of money and don't need a pay driver).

Kimi + Kobay = Team KK. My new favourite team.

Has to happen.

Alonso Short

his head makes up for the short body

Omiee

Interesting overtaking stats for the year:

All overtakes
1. Sebastian Vettel – 74 on-track overtakes
1. Mark Webber – 74
3. Felipe Massa – 65
4. Lewis Hamilton – 55
4. Romain Grosjean – 55

All overtakes, without backmarkers
Disgarding the overtakes on the teams of HRT, Marussia and Caterham
1. Sebastian Vettel – 51 on-track overtakes
2. Lewis Hamilton – 46
2. Mark Webber – 46
4. Felipe Massa – 45
5. Jenson Button – 41

All overtakes, without backmarkers, with equal tires
Disgarding the overtakes on the teams of HRT, Marussia and Caterham
Disgarding overtakes on cars with more than 5 lap older tires
1. Sebastian Vettel – 29 on-track overtakes
2. Jenson Button – 26
3. Mark Webber – 24
4. Kimi Räikkönen – 23
4. Felipe Massa – 23

All overtakes, only on 5 top teams
Counting only overtakes on the teams of Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes
1. Sebastian Vettel – 28 on-track overtakes
2. Lewis Hamilton – 25
3. Jenson Button – 22
4. Kimi Räikkönen – 21
5. Felipe Massa – 16

Seems that Alonso got a lot of his places because of the crashes / car failures of others. Surprised to see Massa in the mix.

Vettel cant overtake :O

i know im late but iv been away for a few days.

Tough one. I really like Kobayashi on Button because it took both of them to ensure that it didn't end in tears. I also like Grosjean on Hamilton because seeing Crashjean fitting his car into a tiny space without destroying someone's race is a rare thing indeed.

Omiee

There have also been several tweaks to the 2014 regulations. The requirement for cars to be driven exclusively under electric power in the pit lane has been postponed until 2017 and changes made to bodywork design, originally aimed at reducing downforce and drag for increased efficiency, have reverted to the 2012 specification. The minimum weight limit has also been raised to compensate for the additional weight of the new 2014 power units.

This part. Does it mean we wont have those low noses etc and stupid rear wings in the 2014 season?

so what will be the big change in the 2014 season now than?

Goldrusher

so what will be the big change in the 2014 season now than?

2013:
- no more bump on the nose
- DRS restricted to DRS-zones even in qualifying and practice
- double DRS banned
- heavier tires
- heavier cars (min ... kg instead of 640 kg)

2014:
- V6 turbo engines
- limited amount of fuel to be used (100 kg per race; now they have no limit and use ~150 kg per race)
- lower nose (max 185 mm instead of 550 mm)
- slight narrower front wing (1650 mm instead of 1800 mm)
- Coanda effect exhausts banned
- lower rear beam wing banned
- heavier cars (min 660 kg)

Omiee

2013:
- double DRS banned
- heavier tires

2014:
- V6 turbo engines
- limited amount of fuel to be used (100 kg per race; now they have no limit and use ~150 kg per race)

I really hate the FIA.

Thats almost 33% less fuel they can use.
I really dont get why they wanna go back to the old ugly as fuck low noses.
And why ban something that gives drivers more downforce so they can go faster.

FIA is fucking up F1

Ark

I really hate the FIA.

FIA is fucking up F1

Because sponsors don't want to sponsor midfield teams that have been in the midfield for their entire life. The midfield teams can't fund the R&D to get up to the front of the grid without the sponsor money.

Every sport moves forward except for F1. If the sport was left to go as it pleases, we'd maybe get another 5-6 years before the only teams left would be McLaren and Ferrari. I don't see the KERS-power only pit-lane hate, Audi pulled off the hybrid perfectly fine earlier this year.

I will say this though, I miss the low & wide rear wings. They looked much better.

My overtake of the year is a toss up between Vettel on Rosberg at Australia, and Kimi on Schumacher in Brazil. I think Brazil edges it just a little.

Every sport moves forward except for F1. If the sport was left to go as it pleases, we'd maybe get another 5-6 years before the only teams left would be McLaren and Ferrari. I don't see the KERS-power only pit-lane hate, Audi pulled off the hybrid perfectly fine earlier this year.

Talking of which, LMP1 cars seem more impressive technologically to me now than F1 cars.

paskowitz

^I completely agree. 2014 is going to be an amazing year for Le Mans. Porsche, Audi, Toyota, and others in LMP1 should prove to be a great battle.

I really hate how the FIA stifles innovation in F1. F1 cars could be so much more than they are.

Dead Man

I really hate the FIA.

FIA is fucking up F1

I love the fuel restriction, they just need to get rid of the engine restrictions and allow teams to find the best way to use that fuel. Fuel restrictions are the easiest was to control speeds too, if the cars are too fast, just reduce the fuel available.

Fuel restriction is one of the best things they could've done. Actually so many fans have been calling for that. They should restrict fuel and loosen some other regulations

I can't wait for 2014. I just wish engines haven't changed. Worried about the sound and the ridiculous change in pecking order

I will try to go to as many races as possible next year. V6 can never sound the same, and I'm happy I saw the V10s

V8's will be missed I'm sure

I love the fuel restriction, they just need to get rid of the engine restrictions and allow teams to find the best way to use that fuel. Fuel restrictions are the easiest was to control speeds too, if the cars are too fast, just reduce the fuel available.

I see your reasoning, but you'd just be opening up another very expensive engine arms race. Development costs would sky rocket with constant development to strive to make the most efficient engine, thus driving up the cost to customers. And if one engine manufacturer get a clear upper hand, the number of teams they're willing to supply entirely determines the competitiveness of the grid.

Those without the ability to buy or even afford that engine can't compete on the same level, the value of the team to sponsors and investors drops off and they're caught on a downward spiral until someone steps in (i.e. the FIA) to sort the mess out.

Engine equivalency has been one of the best ways of controlling costs and competitive balance. I'm not sure what they have planned post 2014 with regards to freezing engines...

Dead Man

I see your reasoning, but you'd just be opening up another very expensive engine arms race. Development costs would sky rocket with constant development to strive to make the most efficient engine, thus driving up the cost to customers. And if one engine manufacturer get a clear upper hand, the number of teams they're willing to supply entirely determines the competitiveness of the grid.

Those without the ability to buy or even afford that engine can't compete on the same level, the value of the team to sponsors and investors drops off and they're caught on a downward spiral until someone steps in (i.e. the FIA) to sort the mess out.

Engine equivalency has been one of the best ways of controlling costs and competitive balance. I'm not sure what they have planned post 2014 with regards to freezing engines...

I don't see any real cost cutting that has worked, and I haven't seen any teams spend less than usual to succeed. It is a worthy goal, but unless spending is capped, money will always be needed and spent on areas that are not regulated.

If design regs are relaxed, it allows genuine innovation to take place, which takes brains, not massive wind tunnels looking for 0.1s advantage.

I don't see any real cost cutting that has worked, and I haven't seen any teams spend less than usual to succeed.

Look at relative stability of Marussia, Caterham and HRT. That wasn't really possible pre-2009. Even Torro Rosso have proved more viable as a result of cost cutting - they were put up for sale by Red Bull for a really long time don't forget.

As for competitiveness despite reduced budgets, Lotus and Sauber (and to an extent, Williams) are proof of that.

Fuel restriction is one of the best things they could've done. Actually so many fans have been calling for that.

I have never, ever heard a fan mention anything related to fuel aside from refuelling. You know some very, very geeky fans. lol

Even Torro Rosso have proved more viable as a result of cost cutting - they were put up for sale by Red Bull for a really long time don't forget.

They're still for sale. No-one wants them.

Dead Man

I have never, ever heard a fan mention anything related to fuel aside from refuelling. You know some very, very geeky fans. lol

I've ranted a couple times in various years threads. Probably glazed over them though :)

Look at relative stability of Marussia, Caterham and HRT. That wasn't really possible pre-2009. Even Torro Rosso have proved more viable as a result of cost cutting - they were put up for sale by Red Bull for a really long time don't forget.

As for competitiveness despite reduced budgets, Lotus and Sauber (and to an extent, Williams) are proof of that.

Yeah, not sure I'm with you on that. The three back marker teams have made zero progress beating the rest, Lotus is Renault/Benneton with all the long term knowledge that brings.

A budget cap is the only way that spending will actually be reduced. Otherwise teams will spend what the get, and small advantages will cost millions.

Someone should cough up the 350 pounds for this report so we can get an actual idea of how much it costs: http://www.formulamoney.com/intro.html

They're still for sale. No-one wants them.

Well their inability to be sold is indicative of F1's financial viability, it isn't good enough - which is kind of the point. But they now have James Key, and thanks to their ability to financially survive, they have a chance of moving back up the grid. If it was 2008, Red Bull would have just shut them down by now regardless of finding a buyer and we'd be down another team.

Xun

2013:
- double DRS banned
- heavier tires

2014:
- V6 turbo engines
Slower lap times woo!

So Renault and Mercedes then?

McLaren-Honda will dominate.

Red Bull is open to the idea of Austria hosting a Formula 1 race next year at its revamped Spielberg track.

The energy drinks company has overhauled the venue, now known as the Red Bull Ring, and its motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has revealed that he has been in touch with the FIA to make it aware of the opportunity available.

Marko said: "We made the FIA aware of the fact that there is the Red Bull Ring and it holds a full grade F1 licence."

Just announce it already :D

Ark

And thank fuck they aren't, because the most important thing about F1 is the sport, and that's what the FIA are trying to hard to conserve. It's not all about technology.

I agree completely.

Fuel restriction is one of the best things they could've done. Actually so many fans have been calling for that. They should restrict fuel and loosen some other regulations

I can't wait for 2014. I just wish engines haven't changed. Worried about the sound and the ridiculous change in pecking order

I will try to go to as many races as possible next year. V6 can never sound the same, and I'm happy I saw the V10s

V8's will be missed I'm sure

The sound won't be all that different. The closer we move to Wipeout, the better.

Slower lap times woo!

I've never understood why they allowed DRS anywhere during practise and qualy. It makes zero sense. This change is two years too late imo.

I've never understood why they allowed DRS anywhere during practise and qualy. It makes zero sense. This change is two years too late imo.

I'm with you on that one. Though I guess it did have the advantage of mixing up the grid a little because race pace could be so different to qualifying pace, even aside from the weight of fuel.

"Clearly Ferrari and Mercedes have a great past, a kind of myth," Vettel explained to Germany’s Sport Bild. "But we're well on the way to achieving the same with Red Bull. Realizing this need to be our goal."

As Formula 1 moves into the winter break, Vettel has admitted that the only thing on his mind ahead of the 2013 campaign is fighting for a fourth world title.

"I'm going to recharge my batteries and get ready to win title number four," he added. "It has nothing to do with greed, it’s just the reason why I drive in Formula 1."

Vettel will enter a sixth full season in Formula 1 next year, his fifth with Milton Keynes-based Red Bull. During his time in the sport to date he has picked up three world titles, 26 race victories, a further 20 podium finishes and 36 pole positions.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/288357/vettel-wants-red-bull-to-emulate-ferrari/

It's unreasonable, I know, but I'd hate Red Bull to become as legendary as Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren or other teams. An energy drink company with no heritage or roots in this sport whatsoever, buying their way in. It just doesn't seem right.

But Vettel? Oh boy ... Look at his stats. It gives my a racing boner.

An energy drink company with no heritage or roots in this sport whatsoever, buying their way in. It just doesn't seem right.

Really, how is Red Bull spending money to produce quick cars any different to Mercedes spending money to produce quick cars?

(I'm talking ideologically, of course. In practical terms the difference is quite clear; it doesn't work for Mercedes. Ho ho.)

Top Bottom