• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Found by intelligentF1:

2012? Nope, quote from 1971 Autosport :)

That's an amazing find!!! so in 31 years we will still be saying the same..

Makes sense. The bottom of the Apple logo even somewhat resembles Mark's chin:
QPWCM.jpg

zfgxq.jpg

Damn you, I'm very sick and you made me laugh so much it hurt

Adamm

o97vh.jpg

If it IS legit, it's worth a billion times that.

How did he get three of them, though?

Looks real with all the pics. But how is there multiple quantities? I can't imagine every driver signing multiple helmets.

Edit: although 100% feedback makes me tempted to buy this, its very cheap for what it claims to be.
They have sold loads of signed stuff with no complaints about being fake

Very entertaining and interesting read. (long-read)

It talks about Schumacher, Kimi and Alonso's transfers in 2007 and everything behind those transfers..

Could be the real thing, but who knows?

Michael Schumacher - The strange story of his retirement
Contributed by Business F1
Thursday, 05 April 2007

The dramatic circumstances of the Italian Grand Prix and Michael Schumacher’s retirement will live on for a long time. After his rival was sidelined by a bizarre stewards’ decision, Schumacher won the race and then announced his retirement. But it was an amazing few hours, worthy of a scripted piece of drama. BusinessF1 retraced the moves that led to that startling finish.

By Tom Rubython On Sunday 10th September 2006 at 3:25pm, precisely the same time as Michael Schumacher passed the checkered flag to win the Italian Grand Prix, the staff of Ferrari’s press supremo, Luca Colajanni, started handing an A4 sheet of paper to journalists outside the team’s motorhome. It was a one-page press release announcing the retirement of the most successful racing driver in history, a driver at the top of his game challenging for the world championship. Colajanni had been given precise orders by Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo about just what he had to do and when he had to do it.
It was strange timing, as Schumacher was about to make the announcement himself in the winner’s press conference after the podium ceremony. Normally press releases are handed out after an announcement has been made, or during it – but rarely before. It takes away the point. As so it turned out when half an hour later Schumacher found himself announcing what everybody already knew.
The Ferrari team’s haste to announce its driver’s retirement was indeed bizarre. Colajanni had wanted to pre-empt the driver’s own announcement as if to make sure there was no turning back.
Montezemolo had exercised a strong presence in the Ferrari garage at Monza Park all weekend. On qualifying day he hovered around the Ferrari motorhome waving away journalists’ enquiries about what was going on. On race-day he had arrived with John Elkann, the most senior member of the Agnelli family working at Fiat, and Sergio Marchionne, the chief executive of Fiat. He also had Piero Ferrari in his party. One observer was mystified at the presence of all these big guns and said: “It was as though Luca wanted reinforcements.” But reinforcements for what? It was soon to become clear. Although everything looked normal in the Ferrari garage and motorhome, underneath the surface a civil war was concluding, in Montezemolo’s favour. It had run all summer, but was finally coming to an end. All that Montezemolo now required was for Jean Todt, the team principal, and Michael Schumacher, the number one driver, to run up the white flag.
In truth no one knew what was about to happen. Schumacher didn’t want to retire, at least not that day. And he thought he still retained enough power to get his way. But Montezemolo had long before given him a deadline of Monza and told him (expressly against Jean Todt’s wishes) that it was either driving alongside Kimi Räikkönen in 2007 – or retirement.
In a previous age no one had dared tell Michael Schumacher what to do. He had been king of Formula One for 12 years and for half of them was easily the sport’s most powerful man, eclipsing even Bernie Ecclestone.
Montezemolo hated this situation and had also come to resent Jean Todt’s role in the Michael Schumacher show. He took the Enzo Ferrari view that drivers were employees who performed at the behest of their employers. Todt on the other hand took a collegiate view; the top people at the team, including Schumacher, were his close friends and far from being his employees.
But there is no doubt that this combination of opposing management styles got the job done. And for that reason each had tolerated the other.
Only once before in the 11 seasons that Schumacher had been a Ferrari driver, in 1999, had Montezemolo insisted on getting his way.
Officially, of course, none of the above occurred. The official line was that Schumacher had simply decided to retire many months before and that Ferrari had signed Räikkönen to take his place, end of story. In fact, Todt suggested anyone who thought any different was “stupid”.
Everyone, then, is stupid.

There was clearly tension between Todt and Montezemolo that weekend in Monza. On Friday and Saturday, there had been an uneasy peace as both men went about their business. Then, on race-day, with less than 15 minutes to the start, Montezemolo broke away from Ferrari on the grid and went up to Räikkönen’s car. He leaned over the cockpit and gave a thumbs-up sign, as if indicating that all was going to plan. It was a strange action to pursue with his team’s close competitor at Ferrari’s home race.
After Schumacher’s race victory, Montezemolo was delirious with joy and, flanked by Elkann and Marchionne, in the full glare of television, he embraced Jean Todt and kissed him. But as Montezemolo kissed him Italian style and threw his arms around his shoulders, Todt quickly turned away. It resembled the scene in ‘The Godfather Part III’ when Michael Corleone embraces his brother Fredo whilst whispering his death sentence.
Then it was Michael Schumacher’s turn. After being pecked by Montezemolo, he too resisted his boss’s celebratory embraces and looked blankly over his shoulder. For Montezemolo, as he embraced the two men he knew the press release signalling his victory was being handed out to journalists.
It was now clear to insiders that Montezemolo had won his internal battle with Todt to turn Räikkönen’s option into a firm contract drive for Ferrari in 2007. And it was clear that Schumacher’s ultimatum of ‘Räikkönen’s or me’ had been ignored.
It was a battle Montezemolo had been determined to win. Six years earlier, to give the team the very best chance of winning, he had wanted to hire Mika Häkkinen as team-mate to Schumacher. But he had been blocked by the twin powers of Schumacher and Todt. This time he was determined to prevail. He wanted Räikkönen, and if that meant Schumacher’s departure, then so be it. And he also made it clear he was not prepared to carry on paying Schumacher his US$45 million a year in his twilight years. In any case that money was no longer available, it had been allocated to Räikkönen in a deal skilfully negotiated by the driver’s manager David Robertson.
In truth Schumacher was not simply being pushed out of Ferrari, he was not prepared to carry on under the terms that were being offered. So he reluctantly decided to retire. And in any event it was good timing – he was going out at the peak of his powers.
Naturally, in the circumstances, the two press conferences, first for TV and then for the press were sad affairs. Schumacher was very morose. He clearly saw no happiness in retirement. But he played the company line and did not vent any feelings of being pushed out. That was not Schumacher’s way. And the timing of the press release before his own announcement had given him no room for manoeuvre. It was done on the express orders of Montezemolo to ensure that he, and not Schumacher, was setting the agenda.
The sense of despair from Schumacher was obvious. He is the one driver on the grid who genuinely loves Formula One. He lives and breathes it. Whilst some other multiple world champions have rushed into retirement, he seemed set to drive on into his 40s. He was clearly not ready to retire after 16 seasons of racing, nearly double the average career span and equalling the career of Ricardo Patrese.
But at the age of 37, he found, like many others, that as far as Montezemolo was concerned he was past his sell-by date. As Schumacher’s long-time manager, Willi Weber, woefully observed in a passing comment to a journalist at Monza: “Michael found he no longer has the power he thought at Ferrari.” So Schumacher’s retirement was just as controversial as his entry into the sport at the Belgian Grand Prix in first practice on Friday 23rd August 1991.

... continue http://www.crapwagon.com/forums/sho...his-retirement&p=915759&viewfull=1#post915759

Post can't handle more than 24,000 characters http://www.crapwagon.com/forums/sho...his-retirement&p=915759&viewfull=1#post915759

DD

Was it last year, when we had the Apple, Google, Microsoft comparison between Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren?

Ferrari - Microsoft
McLaren - Google
Red Bull - Apple

Any objections?

Ferrari - Apple (they think they are special / snob attitude)
McLaren - Microsoft (they're still huge, fierce competitors, but need to solve some issues)
Red Bull - Google (the new kid on the block that appeared from nowhere kickin' everyone's asses)

Ravenn17

although 100% feedback makes me tempted to buy this, its very cheap for what it claims to be.
They have sold loads of signed stuff with no complaints about being fake

I sent the seller a question asking how he was able to get 28+ signatures for 3 helmets.

Zeppu

McLaren - Microsoft (they're still huge, fierce competitors, but need to solve some issues)
Red Bull - Google (the new kid on the block that appeared from nowhere kickin' everyone's asses)

This one I like. Makes infinity more sense.

Suzi Perry tops shortlist of three to front BBC's Formula One coverage for next grand prix season. For a long time the presenter of the corporation’s MotoGP coverage, Perry, 42, is on a shortlist of three along with BBC pit-lane reporter Lee McKenzie and radio presenter Mark Pougatch.

perry_2420742b.jpg

Chris Evans, who was hotly tipped to take over at one point, is no longer in the running, Formula One’s 20-race calendar proving to be too much of a conflict with his other commitments.

The BBC only has rights to half the races live, with the other half shown later in extended highlights packages, and Evans was understood to be less keen to travel to races which the BBC did not have live.

Perry is thought likely to get the nod with the BBC keen to introduce a new dynamic to its coverage with a female anchor alongside regular pundits David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan.

That leaves Perry and McKenzie, who has deputised for Humphrey on various occasions over the past four years and is highly regarded within the sport, as the only realistic candidates for the role. A final decision is expected next week.

I thought she hated F1?

I'd still take her seeing as she's a much better presenter and way hotter than McKenzie.

I compared Ferrari to Microsoft, because they both were once highly successful and are now desperately trying to catch up, after losing key employees. Apple is on top of their game, not really comparable to Ferrari's situation.

Yoritomo

Again, it's pointless as it depends on so many factors, and the differences between the engines are largely negligible in this era. You could build a championship winning car with any of the engines (with the possible exception of the Cosworth), and what may be the 'fastest' car on one particular track in one particular set of conditions has no guarantee of not being surpassed by another at a different place or point in time. There's not really absolutes like that in F1.

Simple question. You could say you don't know enough about the engines, but you're skirting the issue because fundamentally you understand that the renault is around 20 hp down on the other 2 engines. It's cited as the reason for Toro Rosso's performance advantage over the red bull of 2008. It's commonly held that mercedes is even stronger than the ferrari. The only key here then is Adrian Newey huge obsession with packaging and the shape of the coke bottle. He's willing to sacrifice reliability to absolutely nail that area, and probably willing to sacrifice a touch of hp to get the packaging they want....

Yet Red Bull tried to get a Mercedes engine a few years ago and was voted down by the other teams... I wonder why that happened.

You're being intentionally disingenuous.

DD

I compared Ferrari to Microsoft, because they both were once highly successful and are now desperately trying to catch up, after losing key employees. Apple is on top of their game, not really comparable to Ferrari's situation.

That works too. :3

Simple question. You could say you don't know enough about the engines, but you're skirting the issue because fundamentally you understand that the renault is around 20 hp down on the other 2 engines. It's cited as the reason for Toro Rosso's performance advantage over the red bull of 2008. It's commonly held that mercedes is even stronger than the ferrari. The only key here then is Adrian Newey huge obsession with packaging and the shape of the coke bottle. He's willing to sacrifice reliability to absolutely nail that area, and probably willing to sacrifice a touch of hp to get the packaging they want....

Yet Red Bull tried to get a Mercedes engine a few years ago and was voted down by the other teams... I wonder why that happened.

You're being intentionally disingenuous.
Back in 2008 Toro Rosso had the same car than Red Bull, didn't they?

Anyway, the Renault engine didn't seemed to have helped the Catherhams this year.

But on the other hand, Rubens Barrichello said back in 2009 that the Mercedes engine offered more "driveability" than the Hondas.

It's something complex, heh.

Seems like Perry presenting F1 is a go, she's started to follow all things F1 on twitter and says she'll be back on TV soon. When is the BBC F1 season review? Perfect time to reveal her as Jake's replacement.

Adamm

Seems like Perry presenting F1 is a go, she's started to follow all things F1 on twitter and says she'll be back on TV soon. When is the BBC F1 season review? Perfect time to reveal her as Jake's replacement.

As she only started following them? Or has she been following them for ages have people only just noticed now that she has been rumoured for the job?

But if she has just started following them then it pretty much confirms it.

Not sure but somebody on Digital Spy said she recently added them. I had a butchers and see she's following SkySportsF1, maybe that reporter got his wires crossed and she's going over to the darkside to replace the god awful Lazenby?

Perry (SKY) vs McKenzie (BBC)

:(

Adamm

Not sure but somebody on Digital Spy said she recently added them. I had a butchers and see she's following SkySportsF1, maybe that reporter got his wires crossed and she's going over to the darkside to replace the god awful Lazenby?

Perry (SKY) vs McKenzie (BBC)

:(

I'd be quite happy with her to replace Lazenby, it would make sky coverage slightly more bearable

Adam Hay-Nicholls ‏@AdamHayNicholls

Source tells me the Lotus F1 Team will have a new title sponsor next year - US technology giant Honeywell.

If that's true, Lotus are in a good shape for next year. First Burn and now this.

Maybe Romain is actually on his way out as Totals $5m won't be needed

Alonso's bird looks like a wraith.

Also, I wonder if Vettel is old enough to wear a tie this year. Button seems to have self consciously avoided it. :D

Adamm

You would think sky sports having a dedicated F1 channel with nothing else to show on it over the winter would have something on about the gala....but no :(

What the hell am I watching? It's been continual adverts.

Maybe it hasn't started yet? I'll give it 5 more minutes then I'm back to watching Homeland

EDIT 5 secs

EDIT2: nooo.. news :(

EDIT3: hot

EDIT4: David Coulthard ‏@therealdcf1
First awards handed out, so far so good! pic.twitter.com/8POCeLeE

I'm wasting my time with this stupid link

Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck.

Please be KK. I have a good feeling it is, although it's not like Honeywell is a Japanese company... (but it does mean they're not short of money and don't need a pay driver).

Kimi + Kobay = Team KK. My new favourite team.

Has to happen.

I didn't even think about that. But the lack of potato references in that tweet makes me think it's just some boring announcement.

And stop being jealous of Alonso's girlfriend. Dilly needs her after losing the WDC like that.

Shaneus

Oh wait... just noticed that the Honeywell news wasn't leaked by Lotus. Almost definitely means that's their news :(

HOWEVER

They might also be mentioning more than one thing.

I find it hard to believe that someone who'd made a podium one year wouldn't have a drive the next. But it's probably happened before.

Top Bottom