• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Really, how is Red Bull spending money to produce quick cars any different to Mercedes spending money to produce quick cars?

(I'm talking ideologically, of course. In practical terms the difference is quite clear; it doesn't work for Mercedes. Ho ho.)

Ideologically? With F1 in mind? Mercedes is a car manufacturer, Red Bull is a marketing company.

I already said it's unreasonable and a silly thing to say, considering many companies started in different markets than they're known for today (Nokia and Nintendo come to mind). But seeing Red Bull as a team with some sort of legacy is a bit hard to imagine.

Ideologically? With F1 in mind? Mercedes is a car manufacturer, Red Bull is a marketing company.

I already said it's unreasonable and a silly thing to say, considering many companies started in different markets than they're known for today (Nokia and Nintendo come to mind). But seeing Red Bull as a team with some sort of legacy is a bit hard to imagine.

'Buying their way in' was what I was referring to, and as I got the impression you wouldn't have a problem with it if they somehow earnt their way.

'Buying their way in' was what I was referring to, and as I got the impression you wouldn't have a problem with it if they somehow earnt their way.

To be fair, every team buys their way into F1. Some are more successful at it (RBR) than others (HRT lol).

With Red Bull it just seems weird, because of their background. They bought Jaguar's failing F1 team, which is ironically a very strong name in motorsport, got Newey and Horner (a nobody back then) and bought Minardi (another old name) as a second support team.

Now I know that's it's too easy to say that Red Bull just threw money at the problem, because we know that it doesn't really work in F1, even without the regulations and limitations. I'd probably think completely different, if they'd still race as Jaguar.

To be fair, every team buys their way into F1. Some are more successful at it (RBR) than others (HRT lol)...

Too true, if it was just about big money, Toyota, Honda and BMW would have ammounted to something but in F1 it is still a lot about the personnel you hire that can make it, money is not the only factor in creating a successful F1 Team, personally i think Red Bull deserve their spot as one of F1 future great teams.

Ark

Red Bull deserve every gram of their success. Are people forgetting where the team was when it used to be Jaguar?

Red Bull deserve every gram of their success. Are people forgetting where the team was when it used to be Jaguar?

I think people forget where the team was when it was Red Bull too. This was their eighth season in F1. Half of those seasons they were home to guys like Klein, and Doornbos. They were not a very good team at all. Coincidentally, or not they didn't do jackshit until Vettel showed up.

They've certainly worked hard at it, and deserve everything they get.

acm2000

I think people forget where the team was when it was Red Bull too. This was their eighth season in F1. Half of those seasons they were home to guys like Klein, and Doornbos. They were not a very good team at all. Coincidentally, or not they didn't do jackshit until Vettel showed up.

They've certainly worked hard at it, and deserve everything they get.

a lot of people (ferrari) simply cant accept what RB have achieved, their xbox gamerscore would be huge by now

Vettel forgot his passport, and Kimi doesn't follow the rules

http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/12/10/v...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+Yallaf1com+(YallaF1.com)

But DPA news agency reports that the Red Bull driver actually touched down in Istanbul without his passport, and initially was refused entry into Turkey.

“Vettel, who arrived on a private jet, had to wait over an hour at the airport,” the report read.

“It was only after the intervention of the Turkish motor sports federation that he was allowed through customs with a replacement document.”

Kimi Raikkonen, who said he “unfortunately” had to attend due to finishing the season in third place, also caused a stir when he showed up at the black-tie function — wearing a suit but no tie.

“I don’t follow the rules,” Lotus quoted the inimitable Finn as saying on Twitter, “I just make them.”

TCRS

Banned
Low nose cars are back? Loved the low nose Ferraris:

Tweedy

UKGAF (and people who've been to Silverstone)... Me and some lads from work are planning a trip to Silverstone for next year - where is a good grandstand to sit? We want a seat rather than going GA, but need help deciding where to sit to see the most action!?

Also anyone else going?

Lotus gaining another huge sponsor

'' The Lotus Formula One team is understood to be on the verge of a title sponsorship agreement with American technology giant Honeywell.

Although the deal was not believed to have been signed by Sunday evening, it is thought the framework of the agreement is in place and a formal announcement pending.

Informed insiders suggested the value may total some US$30 million annually, a huge boost to the finances of the Enstone-based team which finished fourth in this year's constructors' world championship.''

Good news if true.

Yoritomo

Hmm, I wonder if Honeywell will be able to assist with turbo development. I know renault seems to be doing well anyway but if Honeywell gets involved they could really start a collaborative relationship that gives the new engine reg. renault a boost.

But lotus isn't actually the renault factory team anymore right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywell_Turbo_Technologies

Seems like an awesome sponsorship most likely brought on by the new engine regulations combined with a strong re-entry into the US market with the USGP.

Sky is seeking a sponsor for its Formula 1 coverage to replace last season's sponsor Santander, following the ending of discussions about an extension of the sponsorship.

Santander has confirmed it has ended discussions about extending its one-year sponsorship deal, which it struck in order to promote its 123 current account.

Sky has claimed its F1 coverage had a reach of more than nine million people in the UK last season.

Chris R

I've never understood why they allowed DRS anywhere during practise and qualy. It makes zero sense. This change is two years too late imo.

I never understood why DRS worked for lapped cars. IMO it should only activate when you are behind a car for position and not just behind any car at all.

I've been home sick today and was pretty doped up on cold and flu whatevers when I read that. I was hoping it was true :(

ouch. get well soon. I'm sick as well but had to travel to Dubai for a stupid course. Thank god its the last day.. I'm worried about the flight now, might get my ear popped lol

Lotus gaining another huge sponsor

'' The Lotus Formula One team is understood to be on the verge of a title sponsorship agreement with American technology giant Honeywell.

Although the deal was not believed to have been signed by Sunday evening, it is thought the framework of the agreement is in place and a formal announcement pending.

Informed insiders suggested the value may total some US$30 million annually, a huge boost to the finances of the Enstone-based team which finished fourth in this year's constructors' world championship.''

Good news if true.

They need all the money they can get. Kimi has sucked the team dry lol

And Lotus is not longer Renault's team. They openly said few days ago that Redbull is their No.1 priority

paskowitz

Next year's Team drivers line-up. What's your choice for the best one?

Mine = Mercedes, and dare I say, by far.

Best? Well best is likely Vettel/Webber. If Massa is back on form then maybe Alonso/Mass.

Best in terms of most interesting? I guess Merc. But if Koba goes to Lotus, Kimi/Koba for sure.

acm2000

Sky is seeking a sponsor for its Formula 1 coverage to replace last season's sponsor Santander, following the ending of discussions about an extension of the sponsorship.

Santander has confirmed it has ended discussions about extending its one-year sponsorship deal, which it struck in order to promote its 123 current account.

BBC should sponsor it

"Sky Sports F1 Sponsored By BBC Sports"

Massa

I actually feel bad for Grosjean. He's a very fast driver. When he needed his team's support to fix his problems they kind of just bashed him publicly instead.

It was pitiful watching him getting out of the way like a scared chicken in some of the later races.

I actually feel bad for Grosjean. He's a very fast driver. When he needed his team's support to fix his problems they kind of just bashed him publicly instead.

It was pitiful watching him getting out of the way like a scared chicken in some of the later races.
They didnt. They were so supportive of him until it was a bit too much and after his ncident that came after the ban
Btw turkish gp gets the green light from the govt

Hmm, I wonder if Honeywell will be able to assist with turbo development. I know renault seems to be doing well anyway but if Honeywell gets involved they could really start a collaborative relationship that gives the new engine reg. renault a boost.

But lotus isn't actually the renault factory team anymore right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywell_Turbo_Technologies

Seems like an awesome sponsorship most likely brought on by the new engine regulations combined with a strong re-entry into the US market with the USGP.

I wonder if teams will just do their own independent turbo development. Will they get thrown in with exhaust design, and some of the other ancillary engine bits that engine manufacturers currently leave up to the teams? They're obviously not part of the sealed engine block, so I'd expect lots of ongoing development either way. Provided the rules allow for it of course.

Mastah

The 2014 Technical Regulations are still at an early stage and have been heavily revised.

The minimum weight will be further increased from 642kg in 2012 to 685kg to account for the rise in weight from the new power units. The regulations on power units, electrical systems and transmission have been extensively revised – see the full rules below for details.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/12/11/fia-publishes-updated-f1-rules-2013/

Damn, that's 80 kilos of increase in just 5 years (in 2009 for the last time it was 605 kilos). That itself slows down cars by 2.5-3 seconds per lap over 5 year period.

Damn, that's 80 kilos of increase in just 5 years (in 2009 for the last time it was 605 kilos). That itself slows down cars by 2.5-3 seconds per lap over 5 year period.

Another reason my Kobayashi has to drive next year. We clearly need slimmer and lighter drivers.

Glock reckons his team has been hurt by the lack of development in the windtunnel, having used CFD exclusively during its first two seasons.

This year's car made its track debut in the final test of the pre-season, and the team ran without KERS all year, unlike rival Caterham.

"I'm pretty sure we would have looked much stronger with proper testing at the beginning of the year and if we had started earlier in the windtunnel," he said.

"KERS too, but mainly if we had been able to shift everything with the windtunnel a bit earlier, we could have been closer to Caterham and maybe even beat them.

"That's where we're working for next year."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104782

Looking back, it's crazy to think that this team was almost able to beat Caterham. Sooo close.

Lach

sigh....

55 days until first pre-season testing...
93 days until the start of the first race weekend...
so long

last year I found a justin.tv channel that showed full historic grand prixs (80's and 90's) in an endless loop. Sadly it was closed by the FIA. Anyone knows where I might find something similar?

Do we even know if the Red Bull ring is capable of hosting a Formula 1 race? The last race was almost 10 years ago and I guess a lot has changed in the regulations.

Lach

So Kobayashi has raised 2.1 million usd so far with his support fansite

Can't believe they still haven't set up an englisch page. So much untapped potential.

dubc35

So Kobayashi has raised 2.1 million usd so far with his support fansite

Can't believe they still haven't set up an englisch page. So much untapped potential.
I'm shocked too. He didn't reply to my tweet asking him about it (not that I'm surprised).

sigh....

55 days until first pre-season testing...
93 days until the start of the first race weekend...
so long

last year I found a justin.tv channel that showed full historic grand prixs (80's and 90's) in an endless loop. Sadly it was closed by the FIA. Anyone knows where I might find something similar?

There was a user on reddit that was streaming some old races. I browsed through the first couple pages and but didn't see anything. I'll try to post it if I see it. I can't get on justin.yv right now (work) but they usually have channels with old races don't they?

New BBC mini series to watch:

Episode 1 – Sir Stirling Moss | Thursday 27 December – 8pm – BBC Two

Former Captain of the USS Enterprise and renowned Shakespearian actor, Sir Patrick Stewart tells the enthralling story of Sir Stirling Moss’s glittering race career. The pair travel to Florence in a classic Mercedes to retrace the route of Italy’s most famous road race – the Mille Miglia – and discuss how Stirling’s near-fatal crash may have been the best thing that ever happened to him.

But how will Sir Patrick cope when he drives a 1957 Formula 1 car at the scene of Stirling’s historic British Grand Prix victory?

Episode 2 – Colin McRae | Friday 28 December – 8pm – BBC Two

Olympic hero Sir Chris Hoy tells the story of Britain’s first-ever World Rally Champion, Colin McRae.

Along with Colin’s father, Jimmy – himself a five-time British Rally Champion – Sir Chris visits the scenes of Colin’s greatest triumphs. From exploring Colin’s roots as a Scottish trials bikes champ to driving the route of the Dakar rally over the dunes of the Sahara desert, Sir Chris retraces Colin’s wide-ranging career.

His father Jimmy speaks movingly about the tragic accident that claimed his son’s life, and the pride he has in his many successes. Finally, Sir Chris faces driving the iconic Subaru Impreza over a stage of the RAC Rally, home of Colin’s famous 1995 victory.

Episode 3 – Sir Jackie Stewart | to be announced

Chef and host of BBC One’s Saturday Kitchen, James Martin tells the story of one of Britain’s greatest ever motor racing drivers, Sir Jackie Stewart.

The pair take a road-trip through the Alps in a classic supercar to re-trace the life of Seventies icon, before self-confessed motor-racing fanatic James discovers how Sir Jackie’s relentless safety crusade lives on in the Formula 1 cars of today. But will James prove himself capable of driving one of Sir Jackie’s Grand Prix-winning cars around the Formula 1 circuit in Monza ?

And The Demon Headmaster needs another savage beating if Austria isn't on the calendar next season.

Top Bottom