• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, not understanding why a company would want to advertise to future consumers only confirms that old people shouldn't be in charge of anything.

NHale

Clearly those young fans will stay young fans forever and never grow up. Also some of them will never become millionares that in the future could have spend their money on F1 because the grew up as fans of the sport...

I like this op-ed.
F1blogdotcom said:
There is no gold medal for fielding a “green” engine but there is a radically increased cost in doing so. It is a cost so steep that the series is now standing over the chalk outline to two corpses who have been ID’d as Marussia and Caterham.

In many ways the demand from Renault and Mercedes to use hybrid engines was not really a case of “could” so much as it is “should”. Should F1 go down this road and what, if any, impact would it have on the series? F1 marched off with its usual pragmatism shunning prudence as a back-seat afterthought.

In the end, the pragmatism seemed to miss the obvious results—lack of sound, lack of visceral excitement, lift and coast, massive cost increases and ultimately the demise of the grid’s smaller teams. Wow, nobody saw that coming!

Perhaps that didn’t matter to Mercedes as they waded into the F1 sandbox with all the ham-fisted bravado of Robert Z’Dar only to quickly become the odd-looking antagonist to F1’s protagonist—the rest of the grid. Mercedes had a plan on the boil from 2009 and their commitment to F1 was based upon F1 changing its very nature to something more fitting to the German carmaker’s plan.

You have to hand it to them, they really pulled a doozy on F1. They seemingly would only enter and commit long-term to F1 if the series changed its very DNA to something closer to their business model. Renault, like the middle child, yelped “me too, me too” and off to the eco-drawing board the series went.

The FIA were rubber-stamping the concept all along with, apparently, little regards to the cost impact to the series and this is the very organization that was advocating cost-caps and cost reduction. The duality of their position is astonishing unless, of course, the commercial arm of the sport forced their hand.

Much has been made over the disproportionate distribution of prize money for the small teams but that is a red herring argument as it was the system for 2013 and things seemed stable. It wasn’t until 2014 when the small teams had to increase their operating costs by $30 million in order to buy an engine.
http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/horner-f1-should-abort-v6-engines-go-back-to-v8s/

Dilly

Banned
Everything looked stable financially in 2013? That's just absolute nonsense. This is nothing more than the perfect way for people who never liked the engines in the first place to have a valid reason for not liking them except that the noise is terrible.

duckroll

Yeah, not understanding why a company would want to advertise to future consumers only confirms that old people shouldn't be in charge of anything.

Well, while it is incredibly shortsighted, it also makes sense for Bernie. He's pretty fucking old right now, and there's no way he'll see a dime from the advantage that comes with kids today growing up successfully in a couple of decades and having huge spending power. He's not interested in building for the future because F1 is his empire and he's only interested in the now. He's a selfish prick!

In regards to the alcohol discussion, in my opinion if they ban alcohol sponsorships they also should ban telecom provider sponsorships. Texting/Calling while driving is fucking irresponsible.

Juicy Bob

Everything looked stable financially in 2013? That's just absolute nonsense. This is nothing more than the perfect way for people who never liked the engines in the first place to have a valid reason for not liking them except that the noise is terrible.
Yeah, pretty much. There were all sorts of rumours about Sauber's future this time last year.

duckroll

Regarding alcohol sponsorship in F1, I think that it is probably one of the least offensive vices which is being promoted. Mainly because it opens up opportunities for stuff like this:

http://www.jointhepact.com/global/m/global.html

V6pTdeM.jpg

Ngv2tns.jpg

N1imZKK.jpg

F1 is mostly a sport watched by adults. People are going to drink whether you advertise to them or not. The important message is responsibility and using famous people who fans admire to spread the word. Pulling alcohol sponsorship completely from something like F1 because of the danger of associating drinking with driver seems to me like the fallacy in forms of sexual education which only want to talk about abstinence instead of protection.

Hasney

Honestly think Bernies dumb comments are just calculated about that alcohol advertisement that may not be allowed. He may try to get away with it if he says he's not aiming to a younger audience.

yooooooo, Pedro de la Rosa is in?! SIGN ME THE HELL UP.

In regards to the alcohol discussion, in my opinion if they ban alcohol sponsorships they also should ban telecom provider sponsorships. Texting/Calling while driving is fucking irresponsible.

Pretty much. I still don't see how advertising in a sport like this could have an influence like that on the viewers or fans (especially if you think about the viewers that Bernie has in mind). Which is why the general tobacco ban never made sense to me either. Do adults really go out and start smoking or switch to a specific brand to support their team?

It would be a bit different, if the companies would constantly send some kind of message with their sponsorship on the cars, but that didn't happen (at least as far as I remember).

Also, because I always liked it, here's some older banner from McLaren sponsor Johnnie Walker.

In that case, they're pretty clear on this and they still do it, as far as I know.

e: It took me too long to finish my post, but I'm glad that Duckroll beat me to it in regards of the JW ads.

duckroll

Pretty much. I still don't see how advertising in a sport like this could have an influence like that on the viewers or fans (especially if you think about the viewers that Bernie has in mind). Which is why the general tobacco ban never made sense to me either. Do adults really go out and start smoking or switch to a specific brand to support their team?

The smoking ban is more complicated I think. It has to do with F1 being an international sport, and in many countries tobacco advertising is heavily limited or outright banned. So you can't really take on sponsors when you can't promise them the level of marketing they would like.

The smoking ban is more complicated I think. It has to do with F1 being an international sport, and in many countries tobacco advertising is heavily limited or outright banned. So you can't really take on sponsors when you can't promise them the level of marketing they would like.

That obviously makes sense now, but was this the case during the time of the ban in the then biggest markets for F1? I really don't remember it anymore, since it's been so long.

duckroll

That obviously makes sense now, but was this the case during the time of the ban in the then biggest markets for F1? I really don't remember it anymore, since it's been so long.

That's a good question. I don't really remember either, and I wasn't even paying attention to stuff like this back then. In general though, I feel that the tobacco industry has always been shunned more than the alcohol industry, and there a ton of reasons which justify that.

Hammer24

Banned
How incredibly dumb, ignorant and/or uninformed!
Without the engine change, neither Mercedes, nor Renault would still be there, and Honda wouldn´t have returned. Just imagine F1 with all teams on Cosworths trying to compete with Ferrari...
If the guy thinks the "system seemed stable in 2013" he needs to inform himself.

The problem wasn't moving to the V6T Hybrid, it was not putting in place a spending and purchase price cap and bending to the will of Mercedes who threatened to leave if they weren't allowed to spend as much as they pleased. Mercedes added a massive upwards spending pressure and that has led to massively inflated engine costs (3-4x higher than the V8 as you well know) and now massive financial issues in the middle of the grid. As I said before, I love that Lewis is at a team that has delivered a WDC winning car, but the cost to the sport is too high, F1 with £30m engines is not sustainable and Mercedes are the root cause of that high cost, whether you want to admit or not. In trying to ensure success this season and next, Mercedes adopted a beggar-thy-neighbour R&D policy and now the sport is going to end up with 14/16 cars on the grid after Sauber or FI (or both) fold.

Dilly

Banned
The problem wasn't moving to the V6T Hybrid, it was not putting in place a spending and purchase price cap and bending to the will of Mercedes who threatened to leave if they weren't allowed to spend as much as they pleased. Mercedes added a massive upwards spending pressure and that has led to massively inflated engine costs (3-4x higher than the V8 as you well know) and now massive financial issues in the middle of the grid. As I said before, I love that Lewis is at a team that has delivered a WDC winning car, but the cost to the sport is too high, F1 with £30m engines is not sustainable and Mercedes are the root cause of that high cost, whether you want to admit or not. In trying to ensure success this season and next, Mercedes adopted a beggar-thy-neighbour R&D policy and now the sport is going to end up with 14/16 cars on the grid after Sauber or FI (or both) fold.

People have corrected you twice before after posting something like this. Take the advice from your usertag.

DD

Latin America (except Brazil, thank God) will have a F1 dedicated cable TV channel called "Formula OneTM". So Fox Sports 2 will have the rights for just 10 races, similar to what happens in Europe.

DBT85

Nicktendo86

I'll just copy and paste what I think about Bernie from a post I made on the autosport forum as I cannot be bothered to type it again:

Bernie is not stupid. He knows exactly what he is saying.

They problem is he doesn't give a damn about the long term future of the sport. Why should he? He is in his 80's, must know that he doesn't have that many more years left to live so is just making sure he can milk the sport for all it's worth.

Of course kids are the future of F1, if they can't buy a Rolex today they may be able to later when they are old enough and sponsors will want to continually attract new people to their brands. It is just common sense. But Bernie doesn't give a shit about tomorrow, he wants his money today while he can still spend it.

He is a cancer on this sport. A tumour. I never wish ill of anyone but the day he kicks the bucket I will be glad.

Dilly

Banned
Too bad that a lot of people in F1 are still so far up Bernie's ass that they'd agree with anything he says.

I always cringe when EJ talks about him.

Ark

To be fair Bernie has done much more for F1 than the current fans give him credit for. With that said, he's not the correct person to lead Formula 1 in-through the 21st Century.

Just imagine F1 with all teams on Cosworths trying to compete with Ferrari...

It would probably be one team with a 1-2 seconds a lap advantage over everyone else, two teams fighting for podiums, then scraps for the rest.
Oh wait, that sounds familiar.
As for the current formula, Ferrari wasnt enthusiastic about these engines to begin with. I believe in 5-6 years time, if they are nowhere, they will throw their weight around and push for a regulation change, as they did the last time they wanted an end to the turbo cycle.

Nicktendo86

warms the cockles, but it's missing the powered by Honda decal and an orange livery :(

McLaren going all Spanish?

Omnicorse says Telefonica will be the new title sponsor and the driver line up will be Alonso & Sainz Jr, if confirmed McLaren are dead to me, not even Honda returning can keep me watching this F1 muck.
The sainz Jr part has already been rubbished so my hunch is the whole article is bollocks.

BBC says the 'filming day' went well. Car stopped once on track but they got it running again immediately. They are shippungbthe car out to Abu Dhabi for the two day test.

Mastah

Also this:

Insiders say the new Honda engine is already close to producing a similar level of performance to the Mercedes turbo hybrid V6 which has dominated Formula 1 this season.

But the Japanese company may need to find considerably more performance ahead of the new season if it is to be competitive, as Mercedes are said to have made significant steps forward with their power unit for 2015.

Even under rules restricting development, sources say Mercedes have improved their engine enough to translate into a performance gain of about a second a lap for next season.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30060635

DBT85

As much as I'd like to see Ferrari and Horner crying about 2 engines rather than one, I'll believe it all when I see it.

As we've seen this season, a good engine don't mean shit if your chassis is a crock.

Top Bottom