• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

As I've barely paid attention to F1 this year, who does this pertain to?

McLaren and Force India, presumably. They're both behind Red Bull and Ferrari in the constructors championship.

Williams are comfortably behind Red Bull, but they've thrown a lot of points away this year for other reasons.

DBT85

As I've barely paid attention to F1 this year, who does this pertain to?

Mclaren and FI with the Mercedes engine.
Lotus with the Renault engine.

Even Sauber and the Ferrari engine.

FI and Sauber you expect to be kind of 6th and below in the constructors, but Lotus and Mclaren were both fighting for wins not so long ago. Their new chassis were both crap.

Mastah

Sportscar365 ‏@sportscar365 2m2 minutes ago

We've just been informed that Fernando Alonso will be making an appearance at today's #6HBahrain as a private visitor. @alo_oficial @FIAWEC

C'mon Fred, just do it, F1 and Le Mans next year!

stryke

C'mon Fred, just do it, F1 and Le Mans next year!

Webber trying to rope him in -

7SNYIA6.png

dubc35

No double points next season, woot! Season will have to find silliness elsewhere.
It will find plenty of silliness.

Mastah

I know everyone wants to see Alonso join the WEC just for the Webber bromance, but he belongs in F1.

c7NJRa2h.jpg

Bourdais did F1 and Le Mans in 2008 and 2009, so hopefully Alonso would also be able contract-wise to do the same.

Also, Radio Le Mans guys are hyping up WEC in the context of F1 drivers, "some good things will happen in the near future".

Ark

https://i.imgur.com/c7NJRa2h.jpg[/MG]

Bourdais did F1 and Le Mans in 2008 and 2009, so hopefully Alonso would also be able contract-wise to do the same.

Also, Radio Le Mans guys are hyping up WEC in the context of F1 drivers, "some good things will happen in the near future".[/QUOTE]

Could you imagine Webber, Button, and Alonso driving the same car in a WEC customer team? Woah.

Or better yet; Alonso, Hamilton, and Vettel :p

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/11/15/a-voice-from-the-real-world/

A voice from the real world

Here is a message I have received. I have edited out a small section that I consider to be libellous. However, I think that the rest of the information should be made public.

“I am a former (as of yesterday) employee with Caterham F1.

“It is dismaying to see the amount of publicity surrounding the success of the crowdfunding on the same day that there entire workforce was made redundant while owed seven weeks salary. The cynic in me would suggest that the two are not unrelated and the good news has served as a convenient opportunity to bury the bad news. If this is the case then it seems to have worked as there hasn’t been a peep anywhere (unlike Marussia the week before who owed their employees “only” one week of salary).

“The employees have been made redundant from 1MRT (a company still owned by Mr Fernandes). This should be more widely known and Mr Fernandes should be encouraged to do the honourable thing and fund the owed salaries instead of hiding behind 1MRT’s orchestrated lack of funds.

“The present situation is the inevitable (and foreseeable) consequence of the manner in which Mr Fernandes sold Caterham F1. It isn’t good enough to claim that there were no other buyers. In that event the proper thing to do would have been to wind up the company gracefully while ensuring that employees and suppliers were fairly dealt with. Undeniably this would have been the more expensive course of action for Mr Fernandes.

“It is not right that Mr Fernandes should be allowed to profit from evading his responsibilities and suffer no adverse publicity.”

I should add that I am hearing that there are legal actions being prepared elsewhere for massive damages against the former owners of the team and, I have even heard the suggestion that the Administrator may also be the subject of law suits.

A sorry mess.

duckroll

Caterham is being really dodgy I think. If they say that they have private investment which guarantees the team will racing at Abu Dhabi, then why was the crowdfunding exercise extended by a week when it failed the goal? Why are they still trying to take money from fans? Obviously the answer is "because they think they can", but yeah, considering how everything is going down, they should have no place in F1 imo.

hamchan

I never liked the crowdfunding thing. The money was always going to just benefit some rich asshole while the employees will still lose their jobs.

It looks like Ferrari finally sucked the will to shave out of Alonso.

I was going to say that he's going to "no beards allowed" McLaren, and maybe he's beardin' up while the going's good, but Button hasn't had a proper shave in years. Maybe that's why he'll find himself driving a Toyota next year :)

Ark

853d6c50ec.png

I am still yet to see someone say the opposite. Yet, we all know full well the opposite is going to become reality.

f0rk

It's such a ridiculous situation if Rosberg wins because of the double points. No one is going to count his title as legit, it will permanently have a 'but...' attached to it. I'm cheering for Hamilton as I think he's the better driver by a fair margin, but if Rosberg does I hope it's because of a DNF from Hamilton that makes the double points irrelevant.

Mastah

Caterham F1 Team ‏@CaterhamF1 now9 seconds ago

We are pleased to announce that @kamui_kobayashi will race for the Team in the season finale in Abu Dhabi next week #F1 #RefuelCaterhamF1

Now, who's going to buy second seat? Let the bidding begin!

853d6c50ec.png

I am still yet to see someone say the opposite. Yet, we all know full well the opposite is going to become reality.

What if their Prost/Senna-like rivalry is taken to its logical conclusion and they end up taking each other out?
Or even more controversial, what if Nico does what he did at Spa, smashes into Lewis, forcing a DNF, but is able to nurse his car home to a podium? If the former happens. Lewis will taint his championship, like Schumacher did at Adelaide in 94, but if the latter happens, Rosberg will be even more disliked than he already is.

I always forget how much of a dick Senna was.

Calling him a dick is probably putting it mildly.

Remember that infamous bit of dirty driving from Schumi at the Hungarian GP in 2010, with the move that nearly put Barichello into the pit wall at 170 mph?
Senna did something like that with Prost at Estoril in 88. Wasnt as brutal, but it was haphazard driving nonetheless. Swerved across the track and almost put Prost into the pit wall.
I maintain that Schumi got his inspiration for ruthless driving from Ayrton. I love Aytron, but goddamn, he he could be royal asshole.
I know Alain Prost was a political animal and there's no doubt in my mind he and Jean Balestre conspired to do Ayrton dirty in 89, but on track, Prost was a clean, fair racer.
You could put forward a reasonable argument that it was he, not Ayrton that deserved the title in 88. Sennna had a couple of huge, self inflicted mistakes in 88. Silverstone when he put himself in the gravel trap, Monaco when he foolishly decided not to pace himself and put himself in a wall, and Monza when he collided with a backmarker. I believe Prost was the better driver that year. Not the fastest, not by a long shot, but the better driver, who made fewer mistakes.
edit: apparently I dont know what Im talking about. Senna won the British GP in 88 and had his off in 89. My bad.

jey_16

Banned
Senna did some pretty shitty stuff that tends to be glossed over since anyone that criticizes him now would be crucified. It would be different if he was still alive.

yami4ct

What if their Prost/Senna-like rivalry is taken to its logical conclusion and they end up taking each other out?
Or even more controversial, what if Nico does what he did at Spa, smashes into Lewis, forcing a DNF, but is able to nurse his car home to a podium? If the former happens. Lewis will taint his championship, like Schumacher did at Adelaide in 94, but if the latter happens, Rosberg will be even more disliked than he already is.

This is what I think is going to end up happening, especially if Hamilton gets pole. It might not even be on purpose, either. I could see the pressure of the situation getting Rosberg to drive more aggressively than he should and he'll end up causing a wreck. If he's lucky, it'll just be Hamilton that ends up getting a DNF. Could easily see him taking himself out, too.

Hamilton is under less pressure since there's way more ways for him to win the WDC than Rosberg, so if it's anyone that's going to cause the issue, it'll be Rosberg.

853d6c50ec.png

Bernie said that his suggestions was the last 3 races. Which I kinda agree with him. This will push teams to keep fighting until the end of the year for positions rather than completely shift development to the next year.

He also said that "they" chose to do it for the last race, I'm assuming the teams? And maybe that's why they're keeping quiet about the whole thing?

Ark

Bernie said that his suggestions was the last 3 races. Which I kinda agree with him. This will push teams to keep fighting until the end of the year for positions rather than completely shift development to the next year.

He also said that "they" chose to do it for the last race, I'm assuming the teams? And maybe that's why they're keeping quiet about the whole thing?

Toto has already admitted in interviews that the strategy group (that he is a part of) made the wrong decision to vote in double points.

I'm still shocked the teams voted for double points. F1 is like a Panda.

Toto has already admitted in interviews that the strategy group (that he is a part of) made the wrong decision to vote in double points.

I'm still shocked the teams voted for double points. F1 is like a Panda.

But the question is why they didn't accept a 3 races double point and changed it to 1 only? That means there should be a rationale behind changing and approving Bernie's suggestion..

Mastah

Because Abu Dhabi paid extra for that privilege (LOL) so everyone had sudden change of heart?

Alan Baldwin ‏@alanbaldwinf1 7h7 hours ago

So @kamui_kobayashi will be one of the @CaterhamF1 drivers in Abu Dhabi. Second driver in due course. http://bit.ly/11gY7Di

Karun Chandhok ‏@karunchandhok 5h5 hours ago

@alanbaldwinf1 - heard the new GP2 champion is in pole positon....

New GP2 champion = Jolyon Palmer.

Because Abu Dhabi paid extra for that privilege (LOL) so everyone had sudden change of heart?

I know it's a joke, but Circuits pay Bernie not the teams. And if that was the case, Bernie wouldn't have complained.. Every word that man says is carefully picked to serve his agenda.

Ark

But the question is why they didn't accept a 3 races double point and changed it to 1 only? That means there should be a rationale behind changing and approving Bernie's suggestion..

Probably because they were all still bitter about being beaten by RBR for four straight years. And, you know, no one in the sport is actually aware of how to make it interesting without introducing stupid, controversial, gimmicks.

You know you made a bad calm when even Bernie says its crap.

I agree with you though, the original proposal for three double-points races would've made much more sense. I'm sure the Prince of Abu Dhabi is pleased though, I know I would be :p

duckroll

I think that misrepresents what actually went down in that debate. The teams didn't want double points for -anything- at all. Bernie was pushing hard for double points towards the end of the season for his own reasons. While it probably can't be proven, Abu Dhabi wanting to have more of a spotlight on their race could be a big factor in that. In the end the choice was "double points for the last 3 races" or "double points for the last race". I don't think Bernie was willing to compromise with "no double points at all it's stupid go home" even though that was the right choice. So both sides ended up with the option that made no one happy. That's how I saw it. :p

Juicy Bob

I think that misrepresents what actually went down in that debate. The teams didn't want double points for -anything- at all. Bernie was pushing hard for double points towards the end of the season for his own reasons. While it probably can't be proven, Abu Dhabi wanting to have more of a spotlight on their race could be a big factor in that. In the end the choice was "double points for the last 3 races" or "double points for the last race". I don't think Bernie was willing to compromise with "no double points at all it's stupid go home" even though that was the right choice. So both sides ended up with the option that made no one happy. That's how I saw it. :p
Yes, I believe that is pretty much exactly how it transpired.

Top Bottom