• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Zeknurn

Losail wants to host a GP in 2016 or 17:

Losail.jpg

I for one is looking forward to when 50% of the calendar are tracks in the middle of fucking nowhere that no one will attend.

olore

the day we get 4 cylinder engines is the day I quit this beautiful sport. I can barely stomach these lame V6s.

Last week I listened when the living legend and motor guru Per Gillbrand (ex-Volvo, ex-SAAB, inventor of among else the APC system, ran engines inline-4 and six-cylinder with variable compression) showed all of his selfmade model engines of important real-life motors. He mentioned that he did his internship at Fiat during the fifties and that he saw an inline-2 cylinder which Ferrari where running on a dyno. Goal? To mount it in a F1-car and have it compete. He also said that Ferrari where very keen on not letting this story leak to the press...

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
*Googles Losail*

...oh, it's in Qatar. Yep, will be on the calendar soon because money.

Looking forward to that 60+ degree track temp! :p

(Although Pirelli may not be :D)

That's true, but there's something you're missing:

Big companies aren't in F1 for passion or for tradition: it's for marketing.

F1 is one of the few sports that has a worldwide appeal, and one that reaches people with deep(er) pockets, so it's a very attractive proposition.

But these companies look at their ROI and sooner or later they are going to say "we're not getting our bang for our buck" and out they go. We've seen sponsors in successful cars leaving the sport because they didn't feel it was worthwhile anymore (Vodafone).

Now imagine we have only big companies and manufacturers in F1. Do you really think any company that's at the back of the grid is going to stay for long? Of course not, it's not their core business and there's always sponsorship opportunities in other sports, so why destroy the brand? Or do you see Mercedes as a back marker brand?
There have been rumors some people with a seat in the Mercedes boardroom aren't particularly fond of the F1 program - sooner or later they'll replace their CEO with someone who might not care about F1 and then what happens to all the teams who depend on Mercedes one way or another?

The small teams' core business is F1 - I don't think Force India or Sauber have any other significant business they can rely upon if they left F1. So if they have a stable financial model - and they didn't this year because costs (not just the PU itself, but also integrating it into their cars) have gone up but their income hasn't - they can become sustainable and generate some profit.
So that's why it's a TERRIBLE idea to give in to big brands' demands - they're never in it for the long term.

I honestly don't think I'm exaggerating at all. Just like when Webber scored fifth place on his debut at Melbourne in 2002. People remember that and Bianchi finishing ninth in Monaco, but I bet you now no one remembers of the top of their head who finished fourth in Aus 2002 or eighth in Monaco 2014.

A small points finish by a small team can be a bigger achievement than a podium or win for a big team. Considering Bianchi's points for Marussia in Monaco finally broke the four-and-a-half-year drought of points finishes for the three expansion teams in 2010, that was a big fucking deal and would've made a massive difference to Marussia next year had they been able to survive.

Jordan could've survived as Jordan, but Eddie decided that the writing was on the wall and thought it best to sell the team to ensure its long-term survival. As for Minardi, they spent the best part of a full decade as the slowest team on the grid but were able to survive year after year and that's partly why they became loved so much.

A massive budget isn't everything. After all, look at how much Toyota underachieved during their time in F1 or how poor Ferrari have been in recent years, given their finances and resources. I've seen plenty more people lamenting the loss of Super Aguri and Minardi and Marussia from the grid than Toyota and BMW, and that's got to tell you something.

I agree with both of you. My point is that F1 as it is has no place for smaller teams. And in the direction the sport "seems" to be heading, they can't even add to it and might even hinder it if cost cutting was enforced.

The whole formula of F1 needs to be changed. But the way it is now, it's very hard for the medium teams let alone the small ones

Teams that entered F1 recently for "passion" are/were:

- Virgin
- Team Lotus (Caterham)
- Super Aguri
- Force India
- Team USA (tried and couldn't make it)
- And that V8's team who was pushing for customer cars. I forgot the name

All of the above (and I'm sure I missed some) have vanished bar FI. and Mallya entered the sport with the backing of his late empire in White McKay and Kingfisher Airlines. Which he sold one and the other I think filed for bankruptcy. So until when he can keep stomaching those loses? No one knows

Another team which has existed for years because of passion is Sauber. And their struggling and hiring pay drivers like there's no tomorrow.

So, the "passion" teams can't survive, and the ones that did are screwing with F1 with their pay drivers and producing poor cars. Can someone tell me what are they adding to the sport? Personally, I think the answer is nothing. I could be wrong

As I said, F1 has to drastically change and lead the whole thing as a sport before anything else. You can't do everything all at once. You wanna be the pinnacle of motor-racing, yet, be extremely environmental, be very entertaining, become cheap for small teams to survive, be financially rewarding to everyone involved, attract top talents in the industry, be the financial hub that everyone would want to be involved in, attract sponsors.. and the list goes on..

you just can't do that. F1 is lost. It's only hope is for the man who created this empire to step aside or pass the baton

Looking forward to that 60+ degree track temp! :p

(Although Pirelli may not be :D)

Losail is used for Moto GP for some years now and they're equipped for night racing. It's only few miles from Bahrain so the climate is identical.

If Bernie wants to give them a race, he should drop Bahrain or Abudhabi. Given that Bahrain is the poorest of those 3 countries, I can see them getting dropped

Ark

I agree with both of you. My point is that F1 as it is has no place for smaller teams. And in the direction the sport "seems" to be heading, they can't even add to it and might even hinder it if cost cutting was enforced.

The whole formula of F1 needs to be changed. But the way it is now, it's very hard for the medium teams let alone the small ones

Teams that entered F1 recently for "passion" are/were:

- Virgin
- Team Lotus (Caterham)
- Super Aguri
- Force India
- Team USA (tried and couldn't make it)
- And that V8's team who was pushing for customer cars. I forgot the name

All of the above (and I'm sure I missed some) have vanished bar FI. and Mallya entered the sport with the backing of his late empire in White McKay and Kingfisher Airlines. Which he sold one and the other I think filed for bankruptcy. So until when he can keep stomaching those loses? No one knows

Another team which has existed for years because of passion is Sauber. And their struggling and hiring pay drivers like there's no tomorrow.

So, the "passion" teams can't survive, and the ones that did are screwing with F1 with their pay drivers and producing poor cars. Can someone tell me what are they adding to the sport? Personally, I think the answer is nothing. I could be wrong

As I said, F1 has to drastically change and lead the whole thing as a sport before anything else. You can't do everything all at once. You wanna be the pinnacle of motor-racing, yet, be extremely environmental, be very entertaining, become cheap for small teams to survive, be financially rewarding to everyone involved, attract top talents in the industry, be the financial hub that everyone would want to be involved in, attract sponsors.. and the list goes on..

you just can't do that. F1 is lost. It's only hope is for the man who created this empire to step aside or pass the baton

Both Ferrari and McLaren exist due to passion and one could even argue Mateschitz's passion for the eccentric being in-part a reason for RBR. Everyone involved with the circus right now, with the exceptions of Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault, and Honda, are there primarily because of 'passion' (I'm going to use this as an umbrella term here).

What you're asking for is a something akin to modern IndyCar or NASCAR. Formula One is about traditional, fair, heart-throbbing racing, it's not about attracting sponsors or signing contracts, those of course being great side benefits; but teams rising and falling by the wayside is part of the natural ebb-and-flow of the sport - readjusting how Formula One shares it's profits among the competitors does not harm that in any way.

Oh, and I'll mention it again, the smaller teams are gateways for new generations of personnel. Kind of important.

EDIT: The guy in your avatar wouldn't even be in the sport if it wasn't for one of those smaller teams. Same goes for Alonso, Senna, Schumacher, this list goes on.

Shaneus

EDIT: The guy in your avatar wouldn't even be in the sport if it wasn't for one of those smaller teams. Same goes for Alonso, Senna, Schumacher, this list goes on.
Webber! Don't forget Webber. Without this bloke, no Alonso (didn't realise this until now) nor Aussie Grit.

I still fucking love that interview. We need more team bosses like that around.

Stoddy was boss in that interview, lol

Also; Webber told Button to just "get on with it" and sign that sports car contract. I'd link the tweet but I'm on my phone.

Jenson Button ‏@JensonButton 15h15 hours ago

Hopefully soon I'll be able to give you more info about my future. #excitingtimes #JB22 #teamButton

Mark Webber ‏@AussieGrit 14h14 hours ago

@JensonButton matey just sign that sports car contract and get on with it. Be mega to have you with/against us next year.#greatracing #JB22

Jenson Button ‏@JensonButton 35m35 minutes ago

@AussieGrit One day fella one day!!

Porsche confirmed their lineup so that rules out that rumour.

Some French website said Toyota want Button.

Speedweek said Audi and Nissan want Button.

Shaneus

Given the Japan connection, I'd think Toyota would be the most likely. For some reason, I just don't see him being a good fit for either Audi or Nissan (despite them being Japanese as well, obviously).

And yeah, Stoddart was amazing. We need more bosses passionate and vocal about the sport. I'm surprised no-one's thought to interview him on the current state of F1 and the absence of the low-tier teams.

Both Ferrari and McLaren exist due to passion and one could even argue Mateschitz's passion for the eccentric being in-part a reason for RBR. Everyone involved with the circus right now, with the exceptions of Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault, and Honda, are there primarily because of 'passion' (I'm going to use this as an umbrella term here).

What you're asking for is a something akin to modern IndyCar or NASCAR. Formula One is about traditional, fair, heart-throbbing racing, it's not about attracting sponsors or signing contracts, those of course being great side benefits; but teams rising and falling by the wayside is part of the natural ebb-and-flow of the sport - readjusting how Formula One shares it's profits among the competitors does not harm that in any way.

Oh, and I'll mention it again, the smaller teams are gateways for new generations of personnel. Kind of important.

We're talking about smaller teams. Big teams are the ones who are pushing the smaller teams out, if they're really in the sport today for passion then they would try to save them. They might have entered the sport for that reason in the good old days but that's not why they're still there for sure.

The only big team that had F1 as its main business was McLaren and they're reducing their reliance on the sport significantly to the point that in few years their presence in F1 might only be symbolic

No. And he won't be, OK. Good. Ffs that seat belongs to Jenson. No one will tell otherwise.

Awesome. I was under the impression it had been, but it sounds like going by the public support, JB will keep his seat.

I don't like Button, but I don't know why, I really want him to keep his seat. and I hope he does

GOOO BUTTON!

EDIT: On another note. ISIS has bought F1 and are going to ban alcohol advertising..

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9562117/F1-facing-drink-sponsorship-ban

Mastah

McLaren ‏@McLarenF1 24s24 seconds ago

Getting set for Silverstone tomorrow for a filming day. We'll be parading the interim Honda-engined MP4-29H/1X1 & 2 classic McLaren-Hondas.

Shakedown before Abu Dhabi test.

Nicktendo86

Itshappening.gif

McLaren said:
Getting set for Silverstone tomorrow for a filming day. We'll be parading the interim Honda-engined MP4-29H/1X1 & 2 classic McLaren-Hondas.

Edit: of course, beaten. Who was it saying Honda are waaaay behind and wouldn't even make it to the last in season test?

Aiii

So not worth it
EDIT: On another note. ISIS has bought F1 and are going to ban alcohol advertising..

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9562117/F1-facing-drink-sponsorship-ban

Lord knows all us adults can't understand that driving and drinking is not something you should be combining. "Yes officer, but you see, Williams has Martini commercials on their car, so I thought it would be totally fine to sideswipe all these parked cars because I drank half a bottle. If it's good enough for Felipe, it's good enough for me, dammit!"

itsgreen

Itshappening.gif

Edit: of course, beaten. Who was it saying Honda are waaaay behind and wouldn't even make it to the last in season test?

I said:

No chance, probably second time they run that car...

First will probably be a few km in a shake down next week on some runway...

I expect they'll only do 200km tops, across all days...

Completely new engine, in a 'new' car. Don't expect too much.

:)

While I never understood how tobacco and alcohol sponsorships could influence people...

A bunch of assholes who can't handle their drinks and wants us all to stop drinking now.

have you thought about the possibility that the group could also include people who lost people dear to them to other drunk drivers and are now trying their best to raise awareness and to prevent this from happening to others?

Next time, think about something like that before you post like a fucking mindless asshole.

While I never understood how tobacco and alcohol sponsorships could influence people...

have you thought about the possibility that the group could also include people who lost people dear to them to other drunk drivers and are now trying their best to raise awareness and to prevent this from happening to others?

Next time, think about something like that before you post like a fucking mindless asshole.

Yeah, but this is just screwing f1 out of yet another source of ad money.

itsgreen

I see car ads on tv.

Doesn't make me think it is a good idea to drive a car while I am watching tv...

Nicktendo86

2 classic McL-Hondas? Does this mean there's a chance we could be getting this next year?
yx57QOTl.jpg

Or even this?
XwopPvxl.jpg
Hope Alonso brings over some Santander sponsorship so we can have a red and white livery. Ummmmm.

In fact I wonder if Alonso will be at the test (sorry, I mean filming day) or whether his contract with ferarri would prevent him from attending?

Well, thank you..

I won't stoop to your level and get into personal insults. off to the ignore list.. I suggest you do the same for me if you don't like my posts.

Some people on message boards! tsk tsk tsk

Dead Man

I think there was a fair point in the post. There is a safe limit for drinking, drinking is legal and will not likely be banned any time in the future. Banning alcohgol advertising may have a noble goal, but there are better ways to achieve that goal. LIke creating a drink driving programme in concert with F1 or something.

Many lobby group includes people that have lost someone to the thing they are lobbying against, it doesn't make their views inherently more worthwhile if they are based on fallacies or emotion. You pipped up in defence of anti vacciners lately? One of them might have lost someone to something they think is vaccine related, but that doesn't mean they should be paid attention to at all.

And from where I'm sitting Jerk doesn't look like the biggest arsehole in the thread.

I think there was a fair point in the post. There is a safe limit for drinking, drinking is legal and will not likely be banned any time in the future. Banning alcohgol advertising may have a noble goal, but there are better ways to achieve that goal. LIke creating a drink driving programme in concert with F1 or something.

Many lobby group includes people that have lost someone to the thing they are lobbying against, it doesn't make their views inherently more worthwhile if they are based on fallacies or emotion. You pipped up in defence of anti vacciners lately? One of them might have lost someone to something they think is vaccine related, but that doesn't mean they should be paid attention to at all.

And from where I'm sitting Jerk doesn't look like the biggest arsehole in the thread.

Again, I've never agreed with their reasoning nor do I think that alcohol and tobacco sponsorships should be banned in F1. Not at all.

But maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's a bit fucking offensive to call an organization like that a bunch of former alcoholics without self control who want to ban alcohol for everyone. They made a fair point and you don't have to agree with it, neither do I, but that doesn't mean they should be treated without any respect at all.

That argument works both ways, by the way. Gun nuts have a similar reaction when people or the government want to take away their guns.

Ark

Hamilton laying down the gauntlet tweeting that he won Abu Dhabi on this day in 2011. Though I'm expecting a result far more akin to 2012.

Itshappening.gif

Hammer? iirc, he said they were one month behind on the engine after Honda's Arai said they were on schedule at Suzuka.

HOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

I can't wait to see the short film about the old and new gen, hopefully people are filming and we get some sweet Honda music tomorrow.

2 classic McL-Hondas? Does this mean there's a chance we could be getting this next year?
yx57QOTl.jpg

Or even this?
XwopPvxl.jpg

Spanish websites are mentioning Movistar sponsoring McLaren, if this is true I hope it doesn't mean a blue car :(

orange, black and white, pls

Super GP2 cars joinng the F1 grid? lol

DD

Massa's kart event won't happen this year. It's over. The first edition was in 2005, and the last one, last year. The biggest winner is Michael Schumacher, with two wins, and the last winner was Jules Bianchi. :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Bernie Ecclestone: Formula 1 doesn't need young fans

Asked if he believed there was no value in attracting a young audience, Ecclestone said: "If you have a brand that you want to put in front of a few hundred million people, I can do that easily for you on television.

"Now, you're telling me I need to find a channel to get this 15-year-old to watch Formula 1 because somebody wants to put out a new brand in front of them? They are not going to be interested in the slightest bit.

"Young kids will see the Rolex brand, but are they going to go and buy one? They can't afford it. Or our other sponsor, UBS — these kids don't care about banking. They haven't got enough money to put in the bloody banks anyway.
"That's what I think. I don't know why people want to get to the so-called 'young generation'. Why do they want to do that? Is it to sell them something? Most of these kids haven't got any money.

"I'd rather get to the 70-year-old guy who's got plenty of cash. So, there's no point trying to reach these kids because they won't buy any of the products here and if marketers are aiming at this audience, then maybe they should advertise with Disney."

f2357Fa.jpg

Edit: Beaten!

Bernie's on good form again

Bernie Ecclestone: Formula 1 doesn't need young fans - via Autosport

Some choice quotes:

"I'm not interested in tweeting, Facebook and whatever this nonsense is," said Ecclestone in the interview, where he talks about F1's financial problems and the future direction of the sport.

"I tried to find out but in any case I'm too old-fashioned. I couldn't see any value in it. And, I don't know what the so-called 'young generation' of today really wants. What is it?"

"That's what I think. I don't know why people want to get to the so-called 'young generation'. Why do they want to do that? Is it to sell them something? Most of these kids haven't got any money."

Top Bottom