• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Zeknurn

McLaren just tweeted that they aren't going to announce their driver lineup until after December 1st, "all eyes on Abu Dhabi". Even as a fan I feel really dicked around by McLaren, I can't imagine how frustrating its been for Magnussen and Button.

I imagine it's because Alonso doesn't want to commit until after seeing how the Honda engine fares in the two day test.

Remember when F1 had no pay drivers?

I sure don't.

Pretty much.

Risgroo

McLaren just tweeted that they aren't going to announce their driver lineup until after December 1st, "all eyes on Abu Dhabi". Even as a fan I feel really dicked around by McLaren, I can't imagine how frustrating its been for Magnussen and Button.
If JB gets dumped without a proper send-off I'm going to shit on Ron's desk. Absolutely horrible treatment of both drivers.

Nicktendo86

Pretty sure it must be legal stuff holding up the announcement. Alosno won't officially leave Ferrari until he has been moved on rather than terminating the contract himself, holding up Vettel being officially announced, holding up McLaren announcement etc etc.

Shaneus

Do we know what the driver lineups will supposedly look like? I'm guessing:

RBR:
Ricciardo
Kvyat

McLaren:
Button/K-Mag
Alonso?

Ferrari:
Raikkonen
Vettel

STR:
Vergne
Verstappen

Lotus:
Grosjean
?

Williams:
Bottas
Massa

No idea on the rest... not a clue in the slightest. Correct if wrong or whatever!

Zeknurn

Do we know what the driver lineups will supposedly look like? I'm guessing:

RBR:
Ricciardo
Kvyat

McLaren:
Button/K-Mag
Alonso?

Ferrari:
Raikkonen
Vettel

STR:
Vergne
Verstappen

Lotus:
Grosjean
?

Williams:
Bottas
Massa

No idea on the rest... not a clue in the slightest. Correct if wrong or whatever!

Sauber:
Ericsson
Nasr
GVD
Sutil

duckroll

Maybe McLaren/Honda are working out Ron Dennis' retirement package before announcing his replacement along with the drivers and new team vision moving forward. :p

Ark

Speaking of McLaren:

tumblr_nf8tttPrU01rb2fzoo1_1280.jpg

Nicktendo86

Can't wait to see what developments are on the 29 this week, should get an idea what dway they will go next year. Sometimes I love looking at pictures of bits on the cars more that watching the actual racing :/

Mastah

F1 Paddock Pass ‏@F1PaddockPass 2m2 minutes ago

Confirmation that Marussia crew members are indeed heading for Abu Dhabi. Further confirmation that equipment has arrived at Yas Marina.

Bear in mind - this doesn't mean that Marussia will be racing in Abu Dhabi. Sure, it'd be wonderful to see a full grid - however...

All Marussia need do is get a car cleared in Parc Ferme and the points - and the cash are theirs to keep. They don't have to start the race.

So if all this is true, that Marussia are on their way and they have equipment here, it's not a given they will actually start the race.

Now that's the rules as I understand them and advice I've been given by a head mechanic at another team on the grid. So let's wait and see.

DBT85

It would be good for the team to get that extra funding for next year, hopefully they make it.

Apparently the Fail are reporting that EJ called for Bernie to step down.

Zeknurn

I thought you had to complete a lap on race day to get qualified as having participated in a raceweekend?

Anyhow, I imagine that getting the money is key to securing a purchase by a potential owner or for paying off debts.

http://thejudge13.com/2014/11/19/f1-daily-news-and-comment-wednesday-19th-november-2014/#renault problems

Renault appear to be in trouble heading towards 2015

Was Sebastien Vettel pre-warned about the state of play at Viry Chatillon? Red Bull has been pushing and lobbying the FIA to relax the engine freezing parameters to allow some in season development. It appears that Renault engineers are no happier with their 2015 engine design than they have been with this seasons lacklustre effort.

With Christian Horner claiming a horrific 75bhp deficit to the Mercedes engines – reports from Caterham suggest that all is not well in Milton Keynes land. Caterham is desperately attempting to finish the season and prepare for the 2015 season – although no mention is mentioned of the Romanians who wanted to fund an entry.

The real prospect of running a 2014 chassis for next year is negated by the fact that the engine fixings between the 2014 and 2015 power units are fundamentally different. In fact so much so that the FIA has been asked if they could run the engine in the old configuration otherwise Caterham would not be competing to which the FIA as ever chased the snails around trying to find answers from this most secretive of clubs.

DBT85

The Will Buxton article about Hamilton is live. Excellent reading just like the Nico one.

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2014/11/19/the-contenders-lewis-hamilton/

Of GP2
Hamilton, for a moment, seemed lost. His emotions had got the better of him in Hungary, something which can still blight his momentum today, and in Turkey all those years ago it looked set to derail his championship charge.

He knew he had to do something and so, overnight, he asked ART to trim all the wing off the car they could and put it basically into Monza spec. The team thought he was crazy, warning him he’d spin without the downforce. And sure enough, that’s exactly what happened at the start of Sunday’s sprint race, sending Hamilton out of the top 20 and leaving his championship hopes severely dented. What followed, however, was mesmerizing. I stood, alongside my girlfriend in the Super Aguri garage, watching in awe. One by one every engineer, every mechanic stopped what they were doing and stared at the screen agog. They applauded every lap that followed. It was a scene replicated up and down the F1 pitlane.

In spinning so early, Hamilton had learned where the limit of adhesion lay. It was a mark he would not overstep again. With substantially less downforce than his rivals, he blasted past them on the straights, and somehow held it all together through the corners. Time and again through the multi-apex Turn 8 he’d start to lose the rear but would emerge on opposite lock, almost drifting the ART through the corner. He made up every position bar the top step of the podium. In a 23-lap contest in a spec championship, without pitstops, he had overtaken almost the entire field. His fastest lap was set on the final lap and was 0.854 faster than any other driver had managed that day.

Mastah

The word in the Abu Dhabi paddock today is that against all odds the Marussia team is on its way and will join Caterham in the entry list for the final race of the season.

A senior F1 source told this writer that the team’s freight is on its way. An empty garage, located between Williams and Caterham, is awaiting the team, although it remains to be seen if the cars and equipment actually arrive.

A Ferrari source confirmed that the Anglo-Russian team’s power units – and the engineers who operate them – are in Abu Dhabi, should they be needed. However the Italian marque is owed a substantial sum, so it remains to seen how that is resolved.

Watch this space….

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/11/19/marussia-on-the-way-to-abu-dhabi/

In other news:

F1 Racing ‏@F1Racing_mag 5m5 minutes ago

Whisper doing the rounds that Sebastien Buemi will be named as Ferrari's third driver and simulator jockey – at the behest of "other Seb"

Maybe McLaren/Honda are working out Ron Dennis' retirement package before announcing his replacement along with the drivers and new team vision moving forward. :p
God I hope not. It is Ron Dennis that has pulled McLaren into being the third placed Mercedes team, they were languishing behind FI for the first half of the season, reports from Woking all say that the 29H/30 is a rocketship and Ron Dennis finally clreared out the vestiges of Whitmarsh's losers and got rid of the stupid "everyone is equal" management structure and has brought in experience instead of "creative" (cheap) graduates.

Nicktendo86

God I hope not. It is Ron Dennis that has pulled McLaren into being the third placed Mercedes team, they were languishing behind FI for the first half of the season, reports from Woking all say that the 29H/30 is a rocketship and Ron Dennis finally clreared out the vestiges of Whitmarsh's losers and got rid of the stupid "everyone is equal" management structure and has brought in experience instead of "creative" (cheap) graduates.

I've heard (from the autosport forums anyway!) that word in the engineering world is that McLaren is the place to be now, serious investment going on and they are cooking something special.

How anyone can still defend Whitmarsh and bash Ron I have no idea. He is an egomaniac, ruthless nutter and an arsehole, those are the qualities a boss needs in F1. Nice guys always fail.

I've heard (from the autosport forums anyway!) that word in the engineering world is that McLaren is the place to be now, serious investment going on and they are cooking something special.

How anyone can still defend Whitmarsh and bash Ron I have no idea. He is an egomaniac, ruthless nutter and an arsehole, those are the qualities a boss needs in F1. Nice guys always fail.

Fair enough, but their chassis is still at the very least 1 second slower than Mercedes's. So they have to find 1 second above what Mercedes will find over the winter. That's going to be challenging...

Nicktendo86

Fair enough, but their chassis is still at the very least 1 second slower than Mercedes's. So they have to find 1 second above what Mercedes will find over the winter. That's going to be challenging...
I think 2016 is the real target to be honest. Hopefully close the gap next year, push for wins/championships year after.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Zeknurn

The full statement:
http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/11/19/bianchi-has-returned-to-france-family-confirms/
Bianchi has returned to France, family confirms
The family of Jules Bianchi says that he was transferred from Japan to France last night – and is no longer in an artificial coma, and is breathing on his own.

In a statement they said: “Almost seven weeks after Jules’ accident at Suzuka Circuit, and following a challenging period of neurological intensive care, we are able to announce that Jules has made an important step.

“Jules is no longer in the artificial coma in which he was placed shortly after the accident, however he is still unconscious. He is breathing unaided and his vital signs are stable, but his condition is still classified as ‘critical’. His treatment now enters a new phase concerned with the improvement of his brain function.

“Jules’ neurological condition remains stable. Although the situation continues to be serious, and may remain so, it was decided that Jules was sufficiently stable to be repatriated to his native France. We are relieved, therefore, to confirm that Jules was transferred aeromedically last night from the Mie Prefectural General Medical Center in Yokkaichi, Japan, to Le Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice (CHU), where he arrived just a short time ago. Jules is now in the intensive care unit of Professors Raucoules and Ichai, where his care will also be monitored by Professor Paquis, Head of Neurosurgery Service.

“We are thankful that the next phase of Jules’ treatment can continue close to home, where he can be surrounded and supported by his wider family and friends. We have nothing but praise for the outstanding care provided by the Mie Prefectural General Medical Center since the accident. We owe the medical staff there an enormous debt of gratitude for everything they have done for Jules, and also for our family, during what is a very difficult time for us. In particular, we would like to extend our thanks to Doctors Kamei and Yamamichi, and also to Mr Ogura, all part of the team of personnel caring for Jules in Japan.”

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think it's good news at all mates, sorry to be Debbie Downer here, but if he's out of his artificial coma and still unconscious that reads to me like he's in an actual coma.

I'm still very doubtful he's ever waking up, really, so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best.

DD

Williams vetoed Nasr's debut in Abu Dhabi tests for Sauber.

Palmer, on the other hand, will test for Force India alongside Spike Goddard.

dubc35

I don't think it's good news at all mates, sorry to be Debbie Downer here, but if he's out of his artificial coma and still unconscious that reads to me like he's in an actual coma.

I'm still very doubtful he's ever waking up, really, so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best.

I agree the situation is not "good." However, for an injury which requires a long recovery, any progress made toward that recovery can be considered good news, in my opinion.

Top Bottom