• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Krilekk

Banned
Well, what did this season tell us?! :)

That he wanted to leave the team and had to find a way not to be in the top 3 in September? ;) I think it's well known that he was the driver that because of his car control profited the most from the blown diffusor and that it hurt him much more than anybody else to have to adjust to this year's regulations. He was typically already driving with an open wing on turn entry because the diffusor gave him that much downforce to comfortably support his car control. Everybody else wouldn't open the wing until after the apex. And if you have four titles in a row and end up with a weak motor and no support for your style of racing motivation is down the drain. If you then end up being beaten by your teammate it's even worse. If you hear the stuff Marko said in early summer about him being their main cost factor (after having single handedly gotten them eight titles) you know there was no love anymore between Vettel and Red Bull as early as June. Doesn't help with motivation either. This season's Vettel will not be next season's Vettel. Motivation goes a long way.

DBT85

How did they fuck it up again? They fuck it up, bitch about fucking it up and then when half of the the engine gets unfrozen they fuck it up again. Stop fucking up! If Honda doesn't get a competitive engine then they all deserve to be lapped by Mercedes again.

B.. B... B... B.. But if they were allowed to change more they'd stop fucking up. No wait.

B.. B... B... B.. But if they were allowed to change more they'd stop fucking up. No wait.
Funny thing is they knew the apple cart was going to get upturned and they had what a three year warning that the new engines were coming? This is pretty much the floundering of McLaren and Ferrari in 2009 all over again, and even then they were able to win races that season. This season was just sad, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Rosberg Hamilton battle, but man it was like watching two different series. I honestly would like a more competitive season, but if the rest aren't able to produce the goods then some of it is their fault especially now when they should have an idea of what needs to be improved in their engines.

kharma45

You think that his age was that much of a factor?

When you get to that sort of age you naturally won't be quite as sharp.

He was in his 40s. Age was absolutely a factor, he was smashing into the back of cars on track. Merc Schumacher was not the spectacular Schumi who took it to Newey rocketships in inferior cars. Even still, he got that surprise pole at Monaco, which counts for something.

He made some mistakes but I still think he did a reasonable job. I agree with Ross Brawn and what he said https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-brawn-rosberg-proves-schumacher-pace-104626524.html

Schumacher was also very unlucky at the start of 2012. A lot of mechanical issues that lost him a lot of points. Arguably he out-drove Rosberg that season.

He out qualified Rosberg by a margin of -0.192s on average over the year and the final count was 10-9 to Schumacher over one lap. This year look at Rosberg's pace over one lap. Whilst he has no doubt improved it still shows Schumacher in a good light. In the few races that both cars finished Schumacher was ahead 5 to 2 in that limited sample size.

Shaneus

That he wanted to leave the team and had to find a way not to be in the top 3 in September? ;) I think it's well known that he was the driver that because of his car control profited the most from the blown diffusor and that it hurt him much more than anybody else to have to adjust to this year's regulations. He was typically already driving with an open wing on turn entry because the diffusor gave him that much downforce to comfortably support his car control. Everybody else wouldn't open the wing until after the apex. And if you have four titles in a row and end up with a weak motor and no support for your style of racing motivation is down the drain. If you then end up being beaten by your teammate it's even worse. If you hear the stuff Marko said in early summer about him being their main cost factor (after having single handedly gotten them eight titles) you know there was no love anymore between Vettel and Red Bull as early as June. Doesn't help with motivation either. This season's Vettel will not be next season's Vettel. Motivation goes a long way.
Single-handedly? I don't think Vettel's points alone would've won them 4 constructors titles.

PS. Does anyone have any word on exactly what happened in Webber's crash?

Goldrusher

http://vimeo.com/113158655

Wow!

A restored Fiat S76, which set land speed records in 1911 (200 kph) and 1912 (290 kph).

It has a 28.4 liter engine...

Ii56ryX.gif

(if you want to skip the intro, the engine is fired up at 1:50)

https://grrc.goodwood.com/race/historic/28-5-litre-fiat-s76-runs-first-time-100-years

It has taken a few more months than originally intended, but Duncan Pittaway (who I interviewed at the Festival of Speed) has finally realised the incredible achievement of firing-up the monstrous 104-year old Fiat S76 for the first time in more than a century.

Despite its vintage, the motor boasts four valve-per-cylinder, multi-spark, overhead cam technology to go with its Spitfire-eclipsing displacement of 28.5 litres. There’s no doubt huge plaudits are due to Duncan and his team who have put in a massive effort, having suffered many setbacks along the way.

Although the car was intended to start for the first time at FoS this year, it finally for the first time at the weekend.

Frankly it looks scary. With no exhaust as such we’re treated to the sight of the aftermath of internal combustion shooting straight out of the exhaust ports while the whole car shakes violently. Bear in mind that in its day the S76 was reputed to be putting out around 300bhp and that all that power was transmitted to the axle by way of chains …

All that remains now is to get Duncan’s fabulous car back to Goodwood for that first run up the hill!

DBT85

http://vimeo.com/113158655

Wow!

A restored Fiat S76, which set land speed records in 1911 (200 kph) and 1912 (290 kph).

It has a 28.4 liter engine...

Ii56ryX.gif

(if you want to skip the intro, the engine is fired up at 1:50)

https://grrc.goodwood.com/race/historic/28-5-litre-fiat-s76-runs-first-time-100-years

Damn, that's a beast! I do remember hearing about the Rolls that had a Spitfire engine in the front!!

2mpg and an oil change cost £500 lol.

Touched another car when overlapping. No more details, as no cameras present, and both drivers don´t remember the incident.

Sounds like aliens to me. Are we sure they weren't probed?

Dilly

Banned
The report said neither engine maker even looks set to use all the available 'tokens' of allowed performance upgrades by the end-of-February freeze deadline.

Haha, but opening up all rules surely would fix everything then!

Vettel better remember that tour in the Ferrari museum, because it's going to be the best part of his F1 adventure at Ferrari.

That statement is hardly surprising, if you look back at the news from early November.

"Now, the authoritative daily La Gazzetta dello Sport claims Marchionne, who recently took over from Luca di Montezemolo, reacted with alarm to the first concrete numbers emerging from the 2015 project.

And “Is it this year’s car or next year’s?” he reportedly asked when he was shown sketches."

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/10/ferrari-big-boss-worried-about-2015-project-troubles/

Like, you know that shit is going down and not in a good way.

Nicktendo86

Shamelessly stolen from a post I made on Autosport which I shameless stole from twitter:

#F1 #Honda Arai: "No one seems to be interested in our power unit, I don't have any kind of offers at the moment." Open to 2nd team in 2016.
#F1 #Honda Arai: "Maybe in Melbourne many teams'll want our power unit, that's what I expect." Development goes well + innovative solutions.

Zeknurn

Shamelessly stolen from a post I made on Autosport which I shameless stole from twitter:

#F1 #Honda Arai: "No one seems to be interested in our power unit, I don't have any kind of offers at the moment." Open to 2nd team in 2016.
#F1 #Honda Arai: "Maybe in Melbourne many teams'll want our power unit, that's what I expect." Development goes well + innovative solutions.

I wonder if they're open to supplying Red Bull with engines.

Speaking of which:
@redbullracing: One of the gifts for Seb from the Team. We wanted to give him a real one, but this version will have to do! #dankeseb
rDgnayB.jpg

After what happened at the beginning of this year, I don't blame the teams sticking to whatever engine they have. "Better devil you know..."

I wonder if they're open to supplying Red Bull with engines.

Speaking of which:

IIRC McLaren and Honda have a 10 year deal whereby McLaren will be the works team. I don't think RBR would be interested in being a customer team. Really they just have to hope Renault get their act together.

IIRC McLaren and Honda have a 10 year deal whereby McLaren will be the works team. I don't think RBR would be interested in being a customer team. Really they just have to hope Renault get their act together.

I don't think it matters if they can get a better engine they would.

They tried to get Merc back in 2009 IIRC

Zeknurn

Ah that makes sense.

Betting on Renault is a lost cause since I don't see any chance of Renault catching up without the dumb rules being overturned.

What engine would Audi use when they return in 2017?

operon

Haha, but opening up all rules surely would fix everything then!

Vettel better remember that tour in the Ferrari museum, because it's going to be the best part of his F1 adventure at Ferrari.

This is why they wanted to open the rules, don't they want to be able to keep working on the engine during the season and not freeze them in Febriary

DBT85

Ah that makes sense.

Betting on Renault is a lost cause since I don't see any chance of Renault catching up without the dumb rules being overturned.

What engine would Audi use when they return in 2017?

Audi would make their own. The VAG group have lots of twincharged petrol engines already on the market for cars so they'd just ram it home.

Renault wouldn't be better off if the rules were changed if the posts a little further up are accurate that they haven't even worked out how to spend all the tokens for this winter season.

This is why they wanted to open the rules, don't they want to be able to keep working on the engine during the season and not freeze them in Febriary

They want to be able to spend another 13 tokens or so mid season. So not continual development at the track, but in the factory. Then at one point they get to update everyones engines with those tokens. Ferrari want the same. Merc offered 5 as a compromise and were rejected and then basically threatened by Horner with a push back to old engines or a new engine formula again but with twin turbos and less complicated ERS.

I'm sure Renault would love to throw away all the money they've spent making the current engine and the developments for next season only to have to start all over again on a new unit for 2016.

Hammer24

Banned

If, after a full and very long season, they still have no idea what they need to fix on their pu´s - then inseason development would only be throwing shit on a stick to see what sticks. Which would mean exploding budgets and even higher costs for customer teams.

DD

Merc boss says they want Audi and BMW on F1, and that they're not interested in Le Mans. Also says that Formula E might be worth considering.

Nicktendo86

As I understand it if you want to win you pretty much HAVE to be a works team nowadays, the integration of the PU is so important to the overall car. RBR have to hope Renault pull their finger out or make their own engine (which was rumoured, wasn't it?)

operon

If, after a full and very long season, they still have no idea what they need to fix on their pu´s - then inseason development would only be throwing shit on a stick to see what sticks. Which would mean exploding budgets and even higher costs for customer teams.

Ferrari have no idea how to fix the wind tunnel after all these years, They will probably have the v6s working well when v4s come in

Looking at all the #dankeseb stuff with Red Bull and thinking that it's nice to see a team and a driver parting on such good terms for once.

Top Bottom