• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Hammer24

Banned
You wrote something last week, I think. But I thought that was a separate story, since they've been complaining for a good while about the wind tunnel (incl. having to use Toyota's in Cologne).

I wrote something quite a while back, when those stories surfaced for the first time.
To put it short: they had a hard time internally to adjust their dev sched from live testing every tiny bit on the Fiorano track to doing effective wind tunnel work.
And as FER is a very bad place to be employed (work climate wise), the engineers found it better to say the wind tunnel didn´t work than admitting the personnel was incompetent.

dubc35

I wrote something quite a while back, when those stories surfaced for the first time.
To put it short: they had a hard time internally to adjust their dev sched from live testing every tiny bit on the Fiorano track to doing effective wind tunnel work.
And as FER is a very bad place to be employed (work climate wise), the engineers found it better to say the wind tunnel didn´t work than admitting the personnel was incompetent.

Really? That's a shame.

gif-4.gif

2017 WILL BE OUR YEAR! GERMAN JESUS 1 ALSO NEEDED SOME TIME TO SAVE US!

AND IF NOT THEN, THEN 2018!

OR 2019

DBT85

Why does Mercedes want Audi and BMW in F1?

What better way to spread the idea that your brand is better than other brands in the same markets and from the same country?

In terms of brand competition Mercedes are competing with nobody in F1. If you want a Ferrari you're going to buy a Ferrari. If you want a Renault then you're not going to be able to afford a Merc.

DD

What better way to spread the idea that your brand is better than other brands in the same markets and from the same country?

In terms of brand competition Mercedes are competing with nobody in F1. If you want a Ferrari you're going to buy a Ferrari. If you want a Renault then you're not going to be able to afford a Merc.

Yep. That's why BMW left the WTCC to invest on DTM.

DD

Rob is happy with how the next year's car is shaping up, but don't expect it fighting for the championship. Says that the Mercs are gonna dominate again, but expects Williams fighting for victories here and there...

Rob is happy with how the next year's car is shaping up, but don't expect it fighting for the championship. Says that the Mercs are gonna dominate again, but expects Williams fighting for victories here and there...

Hopefully they won't shit the bed on their strategies and pitstops next year.

Germany's Sport Bild claims McLaren is split into two camps, with Dennis favouring Magnussen but shareholders Mansour Ojjeh, the Bahrainis and perhaps even Alonso pushing hard for 2009 world champion Button to be retained.

Ronbo out, Brawn in.

Gruso

I wish Alonso hadn't made this move at all. I just want McLaren to keep their existing line up for at least the first year with Honda. They look like arses no matter what they do now.

Would love to see Porsche run an F1 team. Wonder how likely that could be.
Next to zero. The Porsche brand is too aligned with endurance and Le Mans.
And the VW group privately doesn't want to get into F1 while Bernie is still there, so no Audi as well.
They are not going to commit hundreds of millions of Euros to a sport with the current political climate.

And the F1 project will always need the blessing of Piëch.

The other shareholders, Honda, Alonso, Santander, but the final outcome all hinges on him presenting the funds at this board meeting for the share buyout?

I hope he's failed and they shit him out.

He's not going anywhere, he owns 25% of Mclaren and why would the Bahrainis kick him out? Even if he doesn't come up with the money, he's still the shareholder with the closest connection to Mclaren. I doubt the King of Bahrain is concerned enough to start a fight over who runs Mclaren and Ojjeh is too sick to be bothered.

Shaneus

Next to zero. The Porsche brand is too aligned with endurance and Le Mans.
And the VW group privately doesn't want to get into F1 while Bernie is still there, so no Audi as well.
They are not going to commit hundreds of millions of Euros to a sport with the current political climate.

And the F1 project will always need the blessing of Piëch.
Damn. But thanks for filling me in!

In 10 years time if we're still buzzing around with silent, LeMans style engines, I hope Ferrari pulls out of F1 and starts its own gas guzzling, noisy v12 splinter series with refueling, slick tyres, and no DRS.
The way the formula is now, it doesnt exactly mesh with the cars Ferrari makes anyway.

DBT85

Toto saying all 4 engine manufacturers want to stick with v6 hybrids they have now, not looking at any rule changes for 2015, just 2016 and beyond.

Also nice to hear from some teams but they don't share the manufacturer view (ie, Very Nice Mr Horner, shhh now, grown ups talking.)

In 10 years time if we're still buzzing around with silent, LeMans style engines, I hope Ferrari pulls out of F1 and starts its own gas guzzling, noisy v12 splinter series with refueling, slick tyres, and no DRS.
The way the formula is now, it doesnt exactly mesh with the cars Ferrari makes anyway.

Best of luck to them. They'll likely be the only manufacturer there.

Hammer24

Banned
Any insider info there hammer?

Nothing new, I think I reported everything already.
Regarding driver choice its like this:
- Honda want ALO and BUT
- RD adamant he´s the boss, and makes the driver choice
- Honda said, OK, but we´ll foot the bill, and we need some A1 talent to be competitive
- basically force ALO down RD throat (he´s still mad at him - but when the chance emerges to get a talent like this, you have a hard time explaining to your board why you´ll pass)
- RD grudgingly accepts ALO, but wants to at least name driver #2
- board says fine, that's within your rights - but it only makes sense, if you can come up with at least as much (sponsor) money, as Honda is willing to pay for BUT (~10Mio/year, last I heard)
So its not as much that RD doesn´t like BUT, but more or less a powerplay, him showing he´s still the boss.

Top Bottom