• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Risgroo

I can see it now: new driver line-up will be Dennis/Briatore. If this wont skyrocket the ratings, I don´t know what would...

All driver lineups will be decided by a pre-season lottery. Every team employee gets a ticked. Ben from accounting WDC 2015. BELIEVE.

Call me, Bernie.

Zeknurn

tLp6CLE.jpg

Hammer24

Banned
Looks like both Button and Magnussen are still @ sponsor Johnnie Walker right now.
Maybe MCL wants to tell them first after this, before they hand out the press release? *shrugs

I can't believe that a driver selection for a middling midfield team is such a drama for some people. What's next? Huge articles about Force India's or Ferrari's next driver lineup? Please.

Filben

I can't believe that a driver selection for a middling midfield team is such a drama for some people. What's next? Huge articles about Force India's or Ferrari's next driver lineup? Please.
Midfield or not. It's about a team with a long history. A driver with long history. That's the reason. You can think otherwise, that's not worth the fuss. You don't have to not believing. Just condone it.

Hasney

This got me thinking...

How hard would it be for you Brits to root for the British teams, if neither has a British driver?

Eh, I root for Mercedes regardless of who's driving it because where they were based as BAR and onwards was basically in the same town I'm from, so I just stick with it. Did when it was Schumi/Rosberg too.

hamchan

Alonso and Button being on the same team would certainly get me to root for McLaren next year (though not over Ricciardo).

Nicktendo86

You just beat me to it waxy, rumours swirling that Button is the 'chosen one'.

Ron not got the cash? Surely he will be on his way out if this is true? McLaren have gone from a clusterfuck to a team with a promising future to a clusterfuck again. Wish someone would grab the bull by the horns and sort them out.

DBT85

This got me thinking...

How hard would it be for you Brits to root for the British teams, if neither has a British driver?

I think people root for teams for all sorts of reasons.

I'm a Hamilton fan first and foremost. I thought it was McLaren until he moved and realised it was him.

Then Williams because it's Williams, then any British drivers. Then those that look good or are fun, so Bottas and Ricciardo.

NHale

Fucking announce it already. What's wrong with you.

Maybe Button and Magnussen have some more sponsor pimping to do. Why not milk it and make them work for the sponsors? The "Ron Dennis" way.

If it's not Button then Ron Dennis deserves every bit of criticism. A driver like Button deserved a proper farewell and not being treated like some other driver and even worse scheduled for sponsor commitments even if the team doesn't intend to retain him.

EDIT: Spanish press is saying that McLaren will announce Alonso tomorrow.

duckroll

So if all these various rumors are true, then we're looking at:

- Ron Dennis out of McLaren
- Alonso in
- Button in
- Honda rubbing their butts in Ron Dennis' face as he leaves

I like this scenario!

Nicktendo86

I have been ready to defend McLaren up to this point, but no more. They are a joke and making your two current drivers do a corporate event in December not knowing if they will have a drive is March is sick. Pull yourselves together for fuck sake.

I don't understand why anyone would want Ron Dennis out. Do people want McLaren to go back to the mediocrity of the Whitmarsh days? Ron Dennis is much more important to the history of McLaren than any single driver, getting rid of him to keep Button for one more season is absolutely ridiculous.

Ron turned McLaren from a two bit garage operation into a leading supercar manufacturer with serious racing pedigree, anyone who wants him out in favour of any driver is absolutely insane.

I think betting was suspended on Jenson to go, not stay. That's what I think the tweet said. Anyway, they have apparently not made a decision but I suspect that the Jenson and Kevin haven't been told since they''re in Edinburgh so they will be waiting for them to go back to Woking.

duckroll

I don't understand why anyone would want Ron Dennis out. Do people want McLaren to go back to the mediocrity of the Whitmarsh days? Ron Dennis is much more important to the history of McLaren than any single driver, getting rid of him to keep Button for one more season is absolutely ridiculous.

Ron turned McLaren from a two bit garage operation into a leading supercar manufacturer with serious racing pedigree, anyone who wants him out in favour of any driver is absolutely insane.

I just don't think Ron Dennis has a future at McLaren given the environment and how things are developing in the company. Doesn't matter what his accomplishments are, business is business. Honda's partnership with McLaren is the end of Ron Dennis's reign one way or another. Even if he survives to next season, his days just seem numbered.

So rumors are coming out that Bernie might be replaced by the ex-CEO of Dageo and now Volkswagen is conducting a feasibility study into coming to F1.

I just don't think Ron Dennis has a future at McLaren given the environment and how things are developing in the company. Doesn't matter what his accomplishments are, business is business. Honda's partnership with McLaren is the end of Ron Dennis's reign one way or another. Even if he survives to next season, his days just seem numbered.

Except it is Ron Dennis that is making these things happen at McLaren. Whitmarsh was the idiot that traded in a culture of excellence for a culture mediocrity, Ron has brought it back. The partnership with Honda may be important today, but it is just a partnership, McLaren is its own company and racing team, one that Ron owns 25% of. Getting rid of Ron would be like Apple getting rid of Steve Jobs (which they did and look at what happened). The last time McLaren lost Ron's leadership it was handed to a lesser man and now look at the team, it is in complete shit. People like you blaming Ron for the current malaise that they find themselves in are completely misguided, Ron is part of the solution, not the problem. He is making it happen, even if the current driver situation isn't ideal, I would back Ron over keeping Button for one more season any day of the week. Button is a slow and mediocre driver, his value to McLaren is limited, regardless of what Honda want. Ron's value is significantly higher in terms of bringing McLaren's technology to the racing team and integrating the two businesses better.

Button might be a nice guy, fair enough, but McLaren is a racing team that needs to think about the next 20 years, not just next season, I would much rather Ron be there to set it up than Button coast his way around next season.

Nicktendo86

Whilst I am a fan of Ron it is worth remembering that it was Whitmarsh who got the Honda deal and hired Peter P and Fallows (before he backed out).

Top Bottom