• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Mastah

Jenson Button ‏@JensonButton

1f636.png

Kevin Magnussen ‏@KevinMagnussen 2m2 minutes ago

Really good to spend some time with JB too. He is an awesome guy and no matter what happens next year, I'm cheering for him. #lad

Heh.

Two hours have come and gone.

Been four hours now. Your friend is full of shit or has been misinformed.

Apparently they couldn't reach a decision! My friend is sh. Mohd bin isa's friend who's bahrain's representative on the mclaren board and the right hand of the crown prince of bahrain

Alonso's pre-contract is signed. Upon failure to conclude a deal with him he will be compensated $5 million, so that means even Alonso is technically not 100% confirmed

EDIT: to clarify. Alonso's pre-contract was not signed on this meeting, but I'm sharing it because i never read it here before

Risgroo

I've been checking a few Danish news sites, according to ekstrabladet, Kmag's manager doesn't think we'll know anything until the 14th or 15th this month :/
At least I think that's what it says, Danish is Satan's language.

Jibbed

I've been checking a few Danish news sites, according to ekstrabladet, Kmag's manager doesn't think we'll know anything until the 14th or 15th this month :/

That's because they won't be in a position to shore up a decent amount of money until then. Sounds like K-mag is running around trying to gather sponsors at the moment.

If Ron gets his way and Button walks, I will be pissed.

Ty4on

That's what she said. She also noted that it was her impressions as of today.

I'm part Danish and can translate if you need me to.
Edit: Norwegians shouldn't need translations for Danish :p

That's because they won't be in a position to shore up a decent amount of money until then. Sounds like K-mag is running around trying to gather sponsors at the moment.

If Ron gets his way and Button walks, I will be pissed.

If Button walks and the money for Kevin never materialises, it will be... interesting.

Hammer24

Banned
If there really wasn´t a decision made yesterday (which I really doubt), my tealeaves would interpret that as RD did come up with the money, but the board wants to show him the restrictions of his power, leaving him dangling in the wind for a while. And it´d mean BUT out, MAG in.
But that's just my very private crystal ball reading.

So if the board want to be bitter towards ron, which one is selling their shares to him? And why sell them to him if they are gonna act up like this?

Hammer24

Banned
Why not announce Alonso already though?

Now that´d be really bad form. Announce both drivers at the same time, or none at all.

So if the board want to be bitter towards ron, which one is selling their shares to him? And why sell them to him if they are gonna act up like this?

They could be bitter towards him, as they can´t oust him. Doesn´t necessarily mean someone is selling him shares.

ramparter

Banned
This is beyond ridiculous. I believe Ron is just buying time, at this point they should have told him already to suck it up and move on.

Hammer24

Banned
New working hypothesis:
Its all ALO´s doing, he just wants some quality time off, while the "old" dudes do all the sponsor schmoozing!

Seriously, it looks like they want to distance the driver announcement from the board meeting. I wonder, why.

Button vs Mag is just the smaller story in the bigger story that is who's going to control Mclaren. Hence all the delays.

At Ferrari, Pat Fry is next to see the boot. Love me some spaghetti Ferrari.

Been reading Malcom Folley's excellent Senna versus Prost, and the book gets into things I had no idea about: for instance, Senna was fined 15,000 pounds for his actions at the 1987 Mexican Grand Prix when he punched a couple of marshals for not being able to push start his dying Lotus back into the race. I also wasnt aware in his first year at Lotus he vetoed Derrick Warwick getting a drive for that team, a decision Warwick says destroyed his racing career, since it was the only chance he ever got to drive for a front running car. Definitely puts Ayrtons rants about Prost blocking him from the Williams car in 93 in a hypocritical light.

The book also covers the death of Gilles Villeneuve and gets into the war between he and Didier Pironi. Prost was close with both men and he feels that that feud between the two men was responsible for Gilles driving too close to the edge in a bid to one up Pironi and that his fatal accident was a consequence of that.
The book definitely has its humorous moments too. Apparently Tony Jardine used to mock Prost all the time because of Alain's huge nose. He said whenever Alain would walk into a room, he would tell everyone 'Get the oxygen out!"
The first time Prost heard this, he asked what Jardine meant and Tony's reply was that Alain's nose was large enough to leave everyone in the room "fighting for air"
Brutal, but funny, haha.

There are also some funny lines attributed to John Watson, when he and Alain were teammates at Mclaren. Apparently, in yet another qualifying session in which Watson was outdriven by Prost, Watson, in exasperation,blurted out " no matter what I do the little Frog is always faster!"

There's also a section of the book that deals with Nelson Piquet and why he went after Nigell Mansell and his wife Roxanne. He admits he disparaged them to try and get Mansell to fight him: Nelson figured he could destabilize Mansell if he could bait him into fisticuffs. Piquet lacked class but he was a master manipulator.

So no driver desicion until the ownership issues are sorted, Telegraph says Ronbo is trying to find £180M to buy 37.5 percent, which would give him a controlling stake.

Hasn't he had a year to find this money? Honda should just stump up the cash and clean house.

There's also a section of the book that deals with Nelson Piquet and why he went after Nigell Mansell and his wife Roxanne. He admits he disparaged them to try and get Mansell to fight him: Nelson figured he could destabilize Mansell if he could bait him into fisticuffs. Piquet lacked class but he was a master manipulator.
Class and Nelson Piquet are two phrases that just don't go together. Though I'm pretty sure you've seen this before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcOdgg4j1c

Hammer24

Banned
I don't, but I haven't followed MSC too closely.

I put it in email tags, its not for the lurkers. :)

1990 MSC and HHF (together with Wendlinger) were both Mercedes Juniors, driving long distance races (group c) for Mercedes, led by Peter Sauber.
What HHF didn´t really know, is that MSC can´t lose. He just can´t. The term "sore loser" doesn´t even begin to describe MSC determination to simply be the best in absolutely everything he does.
Sooo, being teammates, they spent time together. MSC wouldn´t socialize on his own, but the others asked him along to have a beer sometimes. One of those evenings, when drinking beer in a bar at a track, HHF asked MSC to join in a game of pool. Wendlinger, who knew MSC better (from winning the Formula 3 title with one point difference the year before) tried to give HHF signs to not do it, but they were all a bit drunk und HHF failed to understand. In the end, HHF won the pool game. And MSC, bit drunk like the others, went batshit. He broke his queue at the table and swore, that HHF would regret that. He said he was not only the better driver, but also the better man.
And from this day at the end of 1990 on he made it his pet project, to get HHF´s girl to show him. And he got her in 1991, and married her in 1995.

Like I´m always saying, you are hard-pressed to find a bigger collection of male ego´s than in F1. You guys know the story how MSC came to be with his wife?

No. I knew she was HHF's ex though, so I figured it wasnt likely to be a story of pure and innocent romance.

Filben

As soon as. You missed out the important bits.
Well, technically there's nothing important at all in there. "will bring you news of our driver line-up as soon as a decision has been made." That's pretty logical and irritating aka typicall PR jibber jabber. Of course we'll get the news, when the decision has been made. You cannot bring the news before decision has been made. So with that statement we gained zero information.

dubc35

Seems to further the idea of it only on the calendar for another PU.
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20141204001228
The organizers of South Korea’s suspended F1 event all but ruled out a return to the 2015 Grand Prix calendar Thursday, despite Korea’s surprise inclusion by the sport’s governing body.

The appearance of South Korea ― albeit with a “to be confirmed” tag ― in the 21-race calendar announced on Wednesday was a “unilateral” move by the FIA, an organizing committee official told AFP.

“We were given no prior notice. The FIA just announced it, although we’ve already conveyed our position about the difficulties of hosting a race next year,” said the official, who declined to be identified.

The FIA announcement said the Korean event could be held at the existing track in Yeongam, in the southern province of South Jeolla, or on a street circuit in the capital Seoul.

It was tentatively scheduled to slot in as the fifth race of the season on May 3.

The first Korean Grand Prix was staged at Yeongnam in 2010 under a deal that lasted until 2016 with a five-year renewal option. (AFP)

Has the silliness of silly seasons past ever bled into a silly offseason as much as it seems to have this year?

Top Bottom