• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Shaneus

Nice one, mate - I was there too, was a great way to spend a lunch break.

Dan was asked who he would most like as a teammate, to which he replied "Alonso" - he then joked that he would be joining him next year at McLaren (not sure how well that went down with the many Red Bull and Infiniti PR types in attendance!). Still very much appears that what you see is what you get with Ricciardo, I hope F1 doesn't change him at all over time.
Bahaha, classic. Gotta love that kid.

Edit: Fuck, I knew it would be at Emporium! I caught a glimpse of an ad on the map/guide screens there and waited for it to show up again, but dicks kept on using it (even tried checking out different ones). Thought it might've been an ad for a watch company or something, but no :(

Hammer24

Banned
though the public q and a was wasted with shit questions like "will you marry me?" etc.

Edit: Fuck, I knew it would be at Emporium! I caught a glimpse of an ad on the map/guide screens there and waited for it to show up again, but dicks kept on using it (even tried checking out different ones). Thought it might've been an ad for a watch company or something, but no :(

Don´t even try to pretend you weren´t there, the former quote declared you guilty as charged! ;-P

Hammer24

Banned
sherlock gaf strikes again!

1d82dc4add8ea944f713c98cf962ab64.jpg

McLaren have sent a press release saying there's an announcement happening at the MTC tomorrow at 10am. Sounds like drivers and sponsors will be announced. You would think that anyway.

Remember the last time McLaren did something exciting? Me neither.

Promoting Lewis when they did was pretty exciting. As was partnering him with Button in 2010.

Since then? Not really. That's if you discount re-teaming with Honda because it hasn't truly begun yet, and don't believe that Alonso is returning.

NHale

McLaren have sent a press release saying there's an announcement happening at the MTC tomorrow at 10am. Sounds like drivers and sponsors will be announced. You would think that anyway.

WOKING, SURREY, UK, December 11th, 2014 – McLaren Racing are pleased to announce that no decision has been made in regards to the 2015 Formula 1 Drivers for the McLaren Honda Racing Team.

Until that decision is made, Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen will be acting as our parrots for any marketing appointements or sponsorship appearances.

Ron Dennis said:

"First of all, the workforce at McLaren Racing and our partners Honda strive for excellence and perfection in any decision we make from smaller ones like tiles in our factory to big ones like which scotch we will drink in the next Bahrain race while people get killed in the streets. And it's with that goal in mind that we postponed our decision for the 2015 Formula 1 Drivers for McLaren Honda indefinitely. The development of our 2015 Formula 1 car has been sensational and the Honda engine is already surpassing any expectations we had for this year and next year as well.

I'm firmly of the belief that McLaren Racing and Honda together will march back to full competitiveness, quickly and professionally, harnessing the fantastic depth of talent that exists within our organization and we might need to wait until Sauber F1 Team announces their Formula 1 drivers for 2015 to finally make our decision to who will drive for McLaren Honda Racing Team in 2015."

Racing Director, Eric Boullier said:

"Fuck it. I'm out."

-Ends-

Filben

WOKING, SURREY, UK, December 11th, 2014 – McLaren Racing are pleased to announce that no decision has been made in regards to the 2015 Formula 1 Drivers for the McLaren Honda Racing Team.
And further: We will inform you as soon as a decision has been made.

Filben

Alonso should get a 3-year-contract with withdrawal term if the team won't manage to result in top 3 by the end of 2016. AMS is talking about the risk Alonso's taking by joining McL but they probably giving him WAY more money than Ferrari. And another reason is that a one-year-break could get you loose your F1 contacts, so it's better driving for a shit team than not at all (my words). As for JB rumor has it he could end up joining Audi. AMS close the article with stating that since Alonso refused Porsche there is also a seat for JB.

Oh, and rumor around the paddock has it McL will nominate Alonso and Magnussen. So nothing's new on that front.

Lach

Well they say that Magnussen will "with high probability" be Alonso's team mate. No claim of confirmation there...

"I know there are a lot of fans, Jenson's fans, Kevin's fans, other drivers' fans and hopefully some McLaren fans, but it is just about taking the right decision for the future, not only for next year but also for the next years," he told Sky Sports.

That tells me it's mag

Alonso should get a 3-year-contract with withdrawal term if the team won't manage to result in top 3 by the end of 2016. AMS is talking about the risk Alonso's taking by joining McL but they probably giving him WAY more money than Ferrari. And another reason is that a one-year-break could get you loose your F1 contacts, so it's better driving for a shit team than not at all (my words). As for JB rumor has it he could end up joining Audi. AMS close the article with stating that since Alonso refused Porsche there is also a seat for JB.

Oh, and rumor around the paddock has it McL will nominate Alonso and Magnussen. So nothing's new on that front.

Thanks. So it's still just speculation.
Wonder why the Porsche deal fell through.

McLaren are rivals in the sports car business. Also Honda are rivals to Audi, Nissan and Toyota. WEC is no go for Alonso just yet.

Yes I thought that as well but the article says Alonso stopped negotiating with Porsche today, so it suggests that only today were all the details finalized and the contract was signed.

But surely racing in Le Mans wasn't a sticking point in the negotiations, so I was wondering why did it drag so long.

(This is all assuming the amus report is accurate).

Nicktendo86

Guy from moviestar has tweeted to say they will be at Woking tomorrow and that Button will be Alonso's team mate!

A lot of people may well have to eat some crow.

British press will be invited to anything related to a British F1 team announcement wise. If Danish media are there, then that would suggest that Magnussen will be confirmed. Spanish are going to be there because of Alonso of course.

Mastah

The Telegraph:

Daniel Johnson ‏@danielt_johnson 5m5 minutes ago

So after months of being put through the mill, @JensonButton is to keep his drive. @McLarenF1 just saved themselves a lot of Twitter hate.

Dilly

Banned
At this stage I can totally see them fight over the driver decision during the press conference.

"We've decided to keep Button"
"No, Magnussen!"
"Button!"
"Magnussen!"

cmr-94

As much as i like that jenson ill keep his seat, its sad for Kmag to lose his. Shame that there wont be any other seats available to him. suppose he will prob get 3rd driver role or some sort

Does this mean Ronbo is a dead man walking? If what these Spanish sites/ tweets are saying that Alonso wanted Button as his team mate and got him, scored a goal against Ronbo, etc

Risgroo

At this stage I can totally see them fight over the driver decision during the press conference.

"We've decided to keep Button"
"No, Magnussen!"
"Button!"
"Magnussen!"

It'll be settled by a fight to the death between JB and Kmag. 1v1 on a small platform out on the MTC lake, which is filled with sharks. It's the only way.

Fucks sake, mag has such promise, look how shit jenson was in his early years, then we will have this same rigmarole next year, hes turning into the next Barichello, he should of just honorably quit and fucked off to the wec.

If the rumours about Alonso having a constructors performance clause in his McLaren contract are true then I can understand them holding onto Button. While he may not be fast or flashy like the top drivers, he can, nevertheless, score points efficiently which will help McLaren get to third in the constructor's race and hold onto Alonso.

Chairman Ron Dennis had been keen to retain Magnussen, 22, but the Dane's continuing delays over making a decision have tipped the balance back in favour of Button.

So it was Magnussen who caused this whole mess or is Benson pulling this from his arse?

Well Button it is.

Must have taken a big paycut.

But I think Alonso will crush him.

Bob Bell not going to Ferrari, Fry and Tombazis out the door.

Top Bottom