• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Addnan

BBC joins in:
Yeah, on the front page of BBC News..

avH4SHQ.png

Benson doesn't know anything. He's called Bullshit Benson for a reason. I want it to be Magnussen now, just so these fucks in the British media look incredibly stupid.

Wow, so Ferrari fire most of their chief designers and have no one lined up to replace them? Mad. Bell would be a coup for McLaren.

Bob Bell nowadays is in a more management role, but yeah he would be a major coup if it happens. If Ron Dennis is ousted, there will be rumors of a Mr. Brawn joining Mclaren in no time.

So now that Button is (virtually) confirmed as 2nd driver, we need to know:

- Sponsors (Movistar, Santander expanding its sponsorship)
- What happens to Ron Dennis.
- What happens to K. Mag - loaned to a WEC team? I doubt they are going to drop him completely - Button should be on a 1 year deal.

im so pissed about this, who really wants to see sorry button trundle around another uninspiring season, he hasnt done anything for me for years.

Bob Bell nowadays is in a more management role, but yeah he would be a major coup if it happens. If Ron Dennis is ousted, there will be rumors of a Mr. Brawn joining Mclaren in no time.

So now that Button is (virtually) confirmed as 2nd driver, we need to know:

- Sponsors (Movistar, Santander expanding its sponsorship)
- What happens to Ron Dennis.
- What happens to K. Mag - loaned to a WEC team? I doubt they are going to drop him completely - Button should be on a 1 year deal.
This is I think the big drama at Mclaren right now, this round was won by Honda, but im sure Dennis is down, but not out, i feel this season the infighting might be on the corporate side rather than the driver side.

DBT85

im so pissed about this, who really wants to see sorry button trundle around another uninspiring season, he hasnt done anything for me for years.

Well, Honda do.

Button will get McLaren more points than kmag over a season and if they want to do better in the constructors then its a safe bet for the first year.

Hasney

I'm sure that if they had a better driver than KMag, it would have been a lot harder for Button to keep the seat. But here we are.

John_B

That McLaren seat was a curse for Magnussen. He won't be able to find a pot of gold big enough to ever be back.

And that Button romance people are feeling will dry up quick next season. The dude is 15 years deep into the game and only managed to better a couple of rookies without being faster than them.

He was excellent back in the 2011 season, but he has not shown any of that for three seasons straight. Alonso will make him look bad.

Juicy Bob

So McLaren first try to ruin Perez's career, now they end Magnussen's too?

Magnussen wasn't the greatest rookie I've ever seen, but he was clearly deserving of a second season at the very least.

I think Button deserved to retain his seat, but as I've said before, it would've hardly been a tragedy if his F1 career had come to an end this season...

Oh, and I believe everything Andrew Benson says. He's been right about everything. Even Vettel ending up at Ferrari (eventually...)

Ark

Look at jensons first average seasons, i remember like 2003 maybe people were asking how he still had a seat, hes just bloody lucky brawn had the best car by far in 2009.

He scored the most points of anyone in the latter-half of 2011 and very clearly took fight to Hamilton (until Lewis hit his prime in 2012 tbf). He won't beat Alonso, but I expect him to surprise everyone next season in how he matches up to Alonso. He's definetly going to challenge Alonso more that Raikkonen has.

Kmag had potential, but McLaren and F1 aren't in a position anymore where a team can wait for that potential to be unlocked. A new driver in F1 has one season to show promise, and if they're lucky a second season to show they can match the potential they've shown previously.

Personally, as much as I like Button I'd rather have seen Magnussen keep the seat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just noticed how close Button and Alonso are in age. Yet lots of people were saying Button was too old to be in f1 and they wanted a rookie for when he retires after a year. But alonso is not much younger than him

Aiii

So not worth it
Just noticed how close Button and Alonso are in age. Yet lots of people were saying Button was too old to be in f1 and they wanted a rookie for when he retires after a year. But alonso is not much younger than him

No, lots of people were saying you combine a older driver with a rookie, so you have a guy to fall back on once the older guy retires or just drops off in quality a few years later.

Filben

Just noticed how close Button and Alonso are in age.
I do hate that in sports. With mid-thirties you're almost an oldtimer. But I like "my" favourite sportsmen rather older than young. And as long as the performance speaks for them... why not. It's not like you switch Person A with the exact same Person A just few years younger. That of course would be benefitial. And I have the feeling that lots of the younger sportsmen lack of personality the older ones got which makes them outstanding. It's like there's only their performance. But I like to see both.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
An Alonso-Button pairing is something I could get behind.

Same, especially when the team are still working things out. And button has a past relationship with Honda. Just common sense really.

Personally I hope button has a two year deal. If he is helping get the car in winning shape, it would be good for him to benefit from that in 2016.

Risgroo

Same, especially when the team are still working things out. And button has a past relationship with Honda. Just common sense really.

Personally I hope button has a two year deal. If he is helping get the car in winning shape, it would be good for him to benefit from that in 2016.

Aye, great line-up! The BBC say he's on a one-year contract, he'll probably make way for Vandoorne(or Magnussen, if they retain him) next year.

Hanmik

So no more Kevin in F1..? as a Dane I´m sad about that.. as a fan of exciting racing I´m sad about that.. but again F1 has kind of drained most of the excitment out of the sports anyway by now.. you aren´t allowed to race anymore.

Filben

you aren´t allowed to race anymore.
Why you think that? I've seen lots of racing in 2014.

Gary Paffett's twittering: Feel sorry for @KevinMagnussen after a difficult year with an under performing car and now without a seat for next year. Good luck mate!

EDIT: Ok, Twitter's exploding right now as JB seems to stay at McL.

So no more Kevin in F1..? as a Dane I´m sad about that.. as a fan of exciting racing I´m sad about that.. but again F1 has kind of drained most of the excitment out of the sports anyway by now.. you aren´t allowed to race anymore.

I know what you mean man this is bullshit.

Hanmik

Filben said:
Why you think that? I've seen lots of racing in 2014.

You have seen racing yes, but competitive racing ? not so much.. drivers have been punished for trying to compete this season (some of the punishment might have been warranted though).
The problem I see with F1 right now is the big difference with the cars and the engines, when a good driver tries to race in a mediocre car he has no change against a mediocre driver in a good car. Most of the time it isn´t the driver who decides the outcome of the racing, it´s the rules and the cars.
Only real racing you have seen this season has been between teammates with cars that perform the same.

ramparter

Banned
So how certain are we Button got the seat? I mean, what if Ron leaked false info to troll the internet and those who wanted Button because he is stubborn?

And where the hell is Hammer? :p

This is I think the big drama at Mclaren right now, this round was won by Honda, but im sure Dennis is down, but not out, i feel this season the infighting might be on the corporate side rather than the driver side.

Well Ron supposedly has until January to find the cash, so hopefully it won't affect the season.
But we'll see how many sponsors are announced today.

So how certain are we Button got the seat? I mean, what if Ron leaked false info to troll the internet and those who wanted Button because he is stubborn?

And where the hell is Hammer? :p

Ron can't fake a signed contract. The leaks are probably coming from Jenson's side.

Oh and most important question:
will Alonso shave his beard?

Top Bottom