• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

How long has it been since someone had to be medivac-ed out of a race? It's not an excuse, but when something doesn't happen for a long time, people get lazy. Preventative measures that need to be in place soften.

Didn't the British GP get stopped or something because of the medical helicopter?

AxeMan

The driver has commitments to the team and sponsors. It shouldn't have to come to this point to begin with.

Agree with that. I was just putting the question out there.

Do you think any driver, if they really believed it was unsafe to race, would continue to do so?

Ty4on

I feel bad for reacting negatively when SC came out. Really hope Jules pulls through. Heartbreaking to see Rosberg on the podium with tears in his eyes.

yami4ct

Brings up an interesting point.
If a driver thinks it unsafe to race though the Race Director allows the race to continue should the driver then pit himself?

If the organizations in place don't have enough concern for your safety to stop the race, then yes. There's so many social and economic pressures that would stop many drivers from doing this. Besides giving up any potential points, drivers might be afraid of looking like cowards or repercussions by their team or sponsors. Drivers should never be put in the situation where they have to make that call.

frontieruk

BBC interview with Lewis is running. He really looks like he's holding everything back. This is just awful to watch.

For all the Shit said about him, he reminds me of Senna in that he really does care when people get injured and you can always see it on his face.

AxeMan

That's some good news. At least he should be in a position to get better medical attention now.

I hope he is ok and will be ok.

From what I understand though is that if someone is unconscious for such a long time then it usually means some serious head trauma - I hope that isn't correct

Nouzka

Crazy thing was that in Finnish broadcast commentator Toni Vilander wondered immediately after Sutil's crash and when tractor was there, that why only yellow flags and no safety car? Like if one car goes wide it certainly can happen to other cars.

Xater

If the organizations in place don't have enough concern for your safety to stop the race, then yes. There's so many social and economic pressures that would stop many drivers from doing this. Besides giving up any potential points, drivers might be afraid of looking like cowards or repercussions by their team or sponsors. Drivers should never be put in the situation where they have to make that call.

Exactly.

Rosberg has some details on Jules but doesn't want to comment as well. It is serious though.

Septimius

How long has it been since someone had to be medivac-ed out of a race? It's not an excuse, but when something doesn't happen for a long time, people get lazy. Preventative measures that need to be in place soften.

Everyone remembers Massa's incident. Or even the one in Montreal.

This is clearly a case of "how safe can it be, and still be what it is?"

It's not pleasant, and every single time it rains and someone spins of, Martin Brundle says EXACTLY that this could happen. He's been saying it for nearly 20 years, though. But there's nothing you can do. You can't not gather the car. You can't stop the race when someone spins off.. We can't forget how safe F1 is, and we can't prevent such things from happening. Eriksson spun off behind the safety car.

yami4ct

I feel bad for reacting negatively when SC came out. Really hope Jules pulls through. Heartbreaking to see Rosberg on the podium with tears in his eyes.

Many of us did. I feel bad about the flippant comment I made about Duckroll causing the SC. Without info, it's easy just to assume that it's the FIA being overly cautious and spoiling what was a fun race.

In the future, I will definitely reconsider my feelings about SC periods.

duckroll

It's definitely a good time to remember that no matter how arrogant or unlikable top drivers can get, they're still humans, and they're probably the ones most aware of the potential danger they put themselves in at these high speeds. So when something terrible does happen, it would be really hard not for them to feel it very intimately.

hamchan

Brings up an interesting point.
If a driver thinks it unsafe to race though the Race Director allows the race to continue should the driver then pit himself?

I think they're well within their right to. Like when Niki Lauda pitted in the 1976 final race in Japan.

Milchjon

What a crazy thing to wake up to.

These cars' safety developments certainly lulled me in.

Hope he pulls through.

Edit: Not sure if that was English.

kharma45

I guess when the medical car came out we should've put two and two together. Not often it's deployed.

I was confused when I saw the graphic for Bianchi's name come up as you couldn't see his at at all.

Juicy Bob

It amazes me how quick Charlie Whiting is to throw a Safety Car out when conditions get terrible, but reluctant to throw a SC for on-track accidents and hazards unless he absolutely has to.

Nicktendo86

Why the hell were there no yellows or even a safety car while a tractor was out on track? The investigation will come but Jesus, this looks to have been a series of errors.

Xater

I think they're well within their right to. Like when Niki Lauda pitted in the 1976 final race in Japan.

Of course they have the righ, but like it was already mentioned there are lots of factors that could hold them back from doing so.

Moozo

Everyone remembers Massa's incident. Or even the one in Montreal.

This is clearly a case of "how safe can it be, and still be what it is?"

It's not pleasant, and every single time it rains and someone spins of, Martin Brundle says EXACTLY that this could happen. He's been saying it for nearly 20 years, though. But there's nothing you can do. You can't not gather the car. You can't stop the race when someone spins off.. We can't forget how safe F1 is, and we can't prevent such things from happening. Eriksson spun off behind the safety car.

Where possible, they need to recover cars from behind the barriers. The arm on that one was surely long enough to reach over, and if not, it should be. They've got the things at Monaco.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sky now confirms helicopter could have flown, but they decided not to use it for medical reasons.

So there you go, this discussion can be tabled now.

AxeMan

I hope the guys recovering the car and especially the one driving the truck realise this isn't their fault and are ok

Septimius

Where possible, they need to recover cars from behind the barriers. The arm on that one was surely long enough to reach over, and if not, it should be. They've got the things at Monaco.

We cannot believe that we can have utter control. You'd need people on track to gather them, still. They could be hit. You need cranes, not trucks, to recover them from behind the barriers. The longer the arm, the bigger the counter-weight needed.

Brundle spoke about this exact corner. It's time to do something about that corner, in response to what's happened. But these things will happen. Fatalities is a below rare occurrence in F1, now, but just look back at the Montreal incident, and it's clear to see that we can't be 100% safe. We can be safer, but we cannot prevent everything.

dakun

He just wasn't able to embed them, like he did before.

ok so we can assume that the injuries are most likely to the head since the car looks to have survived the impact relatively good. Maybe a direct contact or just the G Forces + angle knocking him out?

This could be a similar outcome to Karl Wendlinger in 1994 when he hit the barriers sideways

Sutil refused to comment on the accident at all. He just said that Jules had the same accident he had and he hopes that he's in good hands.

Septimius

I definitely feel like NBC had the yellow flag graphic pretty quickly after Suitl went off. Don't know the exact details of what happened when. It's all kind of one big blur now.

I rewinded and checked. Yellows right after it happened. They changed the camera back to the scene of the accident right after Jules had crashed, I surmised after I saw it again. You saw the marshals scrambling to the point of impact, waving their hands in reaction of the impact to get medical there.

Top Bottom