• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Chris R

As that section was under double yellows at the time I think it's more likely an aquaplaning incident. It wouldn't make sense for him to be pushing track limits. That said, it does seem to be a problem corner whatever happened

With the elevation change and the seemingly heavier rain towards the eastern end of the track I believe a river formed across the point before the turn there causing both cars to aquaplane.

Mohonky

While accidents do happen and the cars are incredibly safe in every other factor, I wonder if it's not time to start looking at adding cockpits to the cars because it's one of the biggest safety issues left to fix.

Theres been a discussion on that for awhile now, that Ferrari mock up was a damn fine looking beast too, this may speed things up.

But what happens in the event of a bad accident or fire and the driver needs to get out quickly? Its bit of a double edge sword.

Moozo

With the elevation change and the seemingly heavier rain towards the eastern end of the track I believe a river formed across the point before the turn there causing both cars to aquaplane.

Which brings us back to...
Why on earth was the safety car not deployed

While accidents do happen and the cars are incredibly safe in every other factor, I wonder if it's not time to start looking at adding cockpits to the cars because it's one of the biggest safety issues left to fix.

Heidfeld had a very close call along these lines in the inaugural Formula E race as well.

The FIA have been evaluating it for years now with all sorts of tests. I think it's inevitable at some point once the right solution is found, but there seems to be no easy fix.

yami4ct

Theres been a discussion on that for awhile now, that Ferrari mock up was a damn fine looking beast too, this may speed things up.

But what happens in the event of a bad accident or fire and the driver needs to get out quickly? Its bit of a double edge sword.

Presumably the cockpit would have a few redundant quick release features in case of emergency. Heck, maybe even have explosive bolts so you could just blow it off if you really need to. All these systems could malfunction, of course, so you'll never find a 100% perfect solution in all cases. Best you can do is plan for what you know and correct new problems as they come.

Zeknurn

I don't think it would be a problem to make the cockpit come off easily by a driver or marshal when needed.

Deadman

I don't know how effective cockpits are in preventing accidents like this. They seem to mostly be proposed to stop flying debris accidents rather than crashes in to solid objects.

dakun

I don't think it would be a problem to make the cockpit come off easily by a driver or marshal when needed.

what do you do if the car is flipped?? that's the biggest argument against it. There is really no easy way to make something good enough so it can protect the driver in a high speed crash and also be able to evacuate the car when it's flipped

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
0.jpg

They did a test with a cage construction, but that's mostly to prevent hits from loose tires. Would probably not have helped Massa, de Villota, or Bianchi.

A closed cockpit like LMP1 perhaps? Dunno if that can withstand hitting the edge of a recovery vehicle.

EDIT: On second thought, I think that might have helped de Villota and Bianchi. As well as Henry Surtees' fatal accident. Of course they major thing against this is how it obstructs the driver's view.

Mohonky

That assumes that it is in working order after impact, otherwise it could potentially become another obstacle to overcome to get to the driver if it is damaged or dislodged which is what my concern would be.

Conversely it could also become another object that is forcibly driven into the drivers head.

I think the cars are safe enough, it's just the safety measure that have to be enhanced even more.

But what do I know!

Any updates on Jules?

Zeknurn

I don't know how effective cockpits are in preventing accidents like this. They seem to mostly be proposed to stop flying debris accidents rather than crashes in to solid objects.

In this case the rollbar in the cockpit would have at least eaten some of the impact that went straight into Jules.

what do you do if the car is flipped?? that's the biggest argument against it. There is really no easy way to make something good enough so it can protect the driver in a high speed crash and also be able to evacuate the car when it's flipped

That assumes that it is in working order after impact, otherwise it could potentially become another obstacle to overcome to get to the driver if it is damaged or dislodged which is what my convern would be.

These are no doubt major problems but I'm sure that with all the money and clever people in F1 they would be able to find solutions.

Mastah

Getty uploaded photo with one of the marshalls (I guess?) looking at Jules extraction. He is in Senna-alike helmet. It's so eery.

Juicy Bob

Can I ask that, unless it comes from a properly verified team, driver, FIA or respected journalist Twitter account, we avoid posting speculative tweets?

itsgreen

Can I ask that, unless it comes from a properly verified team, driver, FIA or respected journalist Twitter account, we avoid posting speculative tweets?

Sure but I believe within the full tweets he also hashtagged MTV3 (which I believe is the Finnish broadcaster), considering Salo is a Finn he probably stated it against MTV3

Juicy Bob

Sure but I believe within the full tweets he also hashtagged MTV3 (which I believe is the Finnish broadcaster), considering Salo is a Finn he probably stated it against MTV3
I don't doubt Mika Salo, but it's just that it's so easy for misinformation to spread by people who don't have first-hand information.

Zeknurn

Not a fan of them not telling us what happened. I don't need to see but at least tell us.

@F1: Jules Bianchi of @Marussia_F1Team has been taken to hospital after a crash in the #JapaneseGP Updates to follow http://t.co/3VzARRjx53 #F1

They have told us more than enough. Any medical questions are the business of Jules' family and theirs only until and if they choose to share them.

As for the incident itself there will no doubt be an investigation and any information shared when it's done.

The media is over this as vultures as usual. Going for quotes from anyone that they can find and then tweeting it. Shameful.

Oxirane

How different are the regulations for marshals/tractors/etc for wet conditions vs dry? Or is there no difference, and it is up to someones discretion what happens?

itsgreen

They have told us more than enough. Any medical questions are the business of Jules' family and theirs only until and if they choose to share them.

As for the incident itself there will no doubt be an investigation and any information shared when it's done.

The media is over this as vultures as usual. Going for quotes from anyone that they can find and then tweeting it. Shameful.

Hardly. It is newsworthy. There aren't many things more newsworthy that his current health status.

Also everybody wonders how this could have happened. You can pretend you are more holy than Jesus Christ. I wan't to know what happened and if he is going to be ok. And I want to hear it as soon as possible. I don't think that makes me a vulture

How different are the regulations for marshals/tractors/etc for wet conditions vs dry? Or is there no difference, and it is up to someones discretion what happens?

No difference.

We had close encounters like this in the past like Brazil 2003 with Schumi, and I believe Nurburgring in 2008? Both were pretty wet also.

Kreunt

Banned
Looking at some of the pics, the backside of that loader really couldn't have been at a worse height for an f1 car to run into..

yami4ct

Alright. Think I need to try and get away from all this for a bit. Gonna try to nap for a few hours and come back in the morning. Going to be tough, but hoping to see some good news when I'm back.

Thoughts and prayers Jules! Really and truly hope you pull through this.

Caramello

I thought it was strange that the safety car wasn't out when the recovery vehicle was in that position.. Feeling horrible right now..

Really hope he is okay but those pictures :/

itsgreen

I thought it was strange that the safety car wasn't out when the recovery vehicle was in that position.. Feeling horrible right now..

Really hope he is okay but those pictures :/

You do realize that this happens literally a minimum of 20 times every race weekend.

Effectively this would result in races that are more than 40% safety car.

Currently safety cars are being called in if they can't get the stranded car out of the way in a fast or safe manner. Sutil's car was almost behind the barriers within 90 seconds with double waved yellow flags...

Because he didn't have a crystal ball and felt double waved yellows was adequate.

Looking at the fact that he likes to deploy the safety car for trivial reasons he did a pretty shit job here. Especially the accident happened in one of the most dangerous parts of the circuit.

Juicy Bob

It's situations like Sutil in Hockenheim, with the car stranded on the middle of the circuit, where he doesn't call for a SC that need to be looked at.

Wouldn't asphalt have been even worse in the rain though?
The problem is hitting the grass and losing grip while on that trajectory. Were it paved and thus just running wide there you could recover the car the same way they added some pavement to turn 1 and 130R. Just a thought. Not trying to claim hindsight here. One reason I respect this track so much is because of the gravel traps but since this is just below the crest of the track the gravel doesn't actually do much even in the best of circumstances.

I'd argue it'd be better to pave this one area to let cars recover or spin out instead. It's a problem quite unique to just this corner.

As that section was under double yellows at the time I think it's more likely an aquaplaning incident. It wouldn't make sense for him to be pushing track limits. That said, it does seem to be a problem corner whatever happened
I'm not trying to assign blame or anything. Just saying that that's a common spot to run off at that's just an inch off the normal racing line. It could happen at any speed. It's just how you're drilled to drive that part of the track. A similar thing happens at the entry to spoon.
No comment from Charlie Whiting why he didn't deploy the safety car?
That's a pretty standard/generic spot for a car to run off with an oft-used station right there with hardware for quick recoveries. It's certainly not a spot that would normally scream "instant safety car if there's an off at this corner". Double-yellow waved + E-marshal boxes + car HUD warnings + team radio in 99.99999% of cases covers it just fine. Even with SC deployed that doesn't necessarily prevent this.
Must have missed it, but where did they crash?
http://i.imgur.com/DXvxtjV.jpg
That's the exit of turn 7/Dunlop corner @ marshal station 12.

Top Bottom