• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Business

ok so we can assume that the injuries are most likely to the head since the car looks to have survived the impact relatively good. Maybe a direct contact or just the G Forces + angle knocking him out?

This could be a similar outcome to Karl Wendlinger in 1994 when he hit the barriers sideways

Thought of that accident too while hoping for a best case scenario.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
jesus. the back of the car really got fucked up. although, it's good to see that it looks like the part where he actually was doesn't seem to have taken too much damage.

Still, there is possibility that he collided to tractor/barrier with his helmet/side of the car....

McNum

Still, there is possibility that he collided to tractor/barrier with his helmet/side of the car....
This is an inherent design issue with the current Formula 1 car, really. They can take so much abuse and have the driver get up and walk, but a horizontal impact at about half a meter's height from the front or side? There's no protection there at all.

I don't know if we're going to see some kind of safety mandate like a cage or a closed cockpit, but this is the second time we see this happen to a current F1 car. Even if this is a one in a million chance.

JardeL

Let's hope he hit the tractor completely sideways, rubbing it from front to end would mean first impact to the head and that's some serious shit. Hope this ends well.

Sky wrapping up now. No real news from Ted, but Marussia team principle (and other staff) along with Bianchi's manager and representatives from Ferrari are at the hospital.

Suddenly realized that Sochi is a week away -- seems very soon now.

Feorax

Shit, I hope he is alright. I missed this race and just saw the headlines. What exactly happened?

Concensus seems to be that he lost control and went sideways into the vehicle that was being used to remove Sutil's car from the track following an earlier accident in the same place.

kiyomi

Shit, I hope he is alright. I missed this race and just saw the headlines. What exactly happened?

Sutil aquaplaned off the circuit, a JCB tractor came to recover his car. Sutil got out and was fine, on the next lap Bianchi did the same thing and it seems he hit the tractor.

dakun

ok so the pics from getty proof that the damage to the roll bar was there immediatly after impact and wasn't because of the rescue operation to cut him out of the car... that is really bad indeed.

Concensus seems to be that he lost control and went sideways into the vehicle that was being used to remove Sutil's car from the track following an earlier accident in the same place.

Shit, the first image I saw made it look like his car had been run over and crushed by the vehicle. I hope he pulls through.

dakun

on a positive not we an be happy though that it seems like all the marshals were either not at the impact zone or were able to avoid the Marussia somehow. Considering most of the time the marshals walk along with the rescue car.

Krilekk

Banned
ok so the pics from getty proof that the damage to the roll bar was there immediatly after impact and wasn't because of the rescue operation to cut him out of the car... that is really bad indeed.

You can't see the roll bar in those pictures, the red thing at the back is not it.

DXvxtjV.jpg

Here's the part of the track in question. I'd venture that he (and Sutil, for that matter) clipped the grass at around that mark and it's straight on from there. You can imagine how if a truck was angled in just the wrong way (up-down?) it would create a large wall that could be hit from quite a spread. It would have accidentally acted like a collection point for that segment of barrier.

A few people a year always seem to go off there. It's probably the tiny bit of extra pavement from the secondary track that drivers wander out on to. An early apex in turn 7 can force you outside around there. I've crashed in this exactly spot in any number of video games countless times. They should... probably pave in some of that one gravel trap a la the wide edit at 130R (immediately across the barriers from the crash site, btw).

And I'm sorry that I'm horrible with mspaint.

yami4ct

I feel so bad for Sutil. Dude has to be feeling terrible right now. Even though it's completely not his fault, guy has to think it would never had happened had he somehow recovered the car and not wrecked.

Moozo

A few people a year always seem to go off there. It's probably the tiny bit of extra pavement from the secondary track that drivers wander out on to. An early apex in turn 7 can force you outside around there. I've crashed in this exactly spot in any number of video games countless times. They should... probably pave in some of that one gravel trap a la the wide edit at 130R (immediately across the barriers from the crash site, btw).

And I'm sorry that I'm horrible with mspaint.

As that section was under double yellows at the time I think it's more likely an aquaplaning incident. It wouldn't make sense for him to be pushing track limits. That said, it does seem to be a problem corner whatever happened

Mohonky

The only good news right now is that there is no news, otherwise we'd have confirmation if the worst had happen.

Mastah

Oskari Saari ‏@OskariSaari 2m2 minutes ago

Salo: Bianchin auto tuplakeltaisten aikana suoraan traktorin alle. Kova isku päähän

Mika Salo, driver steward: "Bianchi spun off under double yellows and went under recovery vehicle. Hard hit to the head"

Zeknurn

While accidents do happen and the cars are incredibly safe in every other factor, I wonder if it's not time to start looking at adding cockpits to the cars because it's one of the biggest safety issues left to fix.

Pungza

Could he have gone under the tractor? There tends to be a big gap under them, not good either way hope he pulls through

Top Bottom