• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

I quite literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry, I should have been more helpful.

What was your question again? Why do they wave people by? Why don't they just pick up the first car they see?

OK, first - the cars need to complete the correct number of laps. You can't have cars skipping laps (pull over). Those people have to go around and complete lap XX. Second - The leader is the only person who can start the next lap, so everybody needs to be behind him. If you pick up the fifth place guy, he and everyone behind him will lose almost an entire lap to the leader who is somewhere toward the back of the group (see Button this past weekend).

That's a mess, as is what they used to do until pretty recently which is to leave the lapped cars sprinkled in there instead of moving them to the back. That's just bad entertainment, and thankfully after many years they finally realised that.

So what needs to change now? I think at the very least when it's raining, as Villeneuve suggested (although he said 100% of the time, which I'm fine with as well), anytime you bring personal or equipment onto the other side of the wall, you deploy the safety car. As tragic as this has been, it would have been even more senseless if a track volunteer got mowed down because the governing body couldn't be bothered to ensure their safety.

DBT85

Thank you :)

So are we left with it taking 3 or 4 laps just to let the lapped cars unlap themselves and catch back up?

Should the SC be going even slower, or the lapped cars Delta time to aim at be higher once the danger is over.

Regardless, looking at that GIF it doesn't look like Jules was going to hit a barrier somehow, or was there one in the way had the tractor not been there? I dread to think what he must have been thinking before he hit it practically head first.

Igo

After seeing the I video think the concerns about the tractor being on the track are unwarranted. What happened is terrible but remove the tractor and we might instead be talking about the death of a couple marshals. Bianchi was just going too fast (somehow faster than Sutil) while under double yellows.

I'm always terrified of an serious accident whenever drivers or marshals or drivers are on track because no one takes the yellows seriously enough. How many times have we seen marshals running off track or trip over themselves while the cars are basically flying past at racing speed. An accident has been coming for a while now. It's perhaps somewhat fortunate that there was only one injury in such a violent crash.

Rather than deploying the SC every time someone goes off or parks it, I would much prefer the FIA set low maximum speed limits for yellow sectors and seriously enforced it with the threat of black flags. The Code80/FCY system could work in addition to that, but it might look a little ridiculous in F1. I just really hate safety cars and don't want to see them unless absolutely necessary.

Juicy Bob

Wow. That was just a horrifically violent impact...

Can't help but feel that we should be feeling lucky that - A - Jules wasn't killed instantly by the impact and - B - no marshals were caught up in it as well. :/

duckroll

I didn't want to look at the footage, but I did anyway because I'm weak and curious. It looked really bad and unfortunate. Still no word on Bianchi's recovery yet. Really hope he pulls through. :(

Chris R

Wow was he moving fast... I understand hydroplaning and the lack of braking on wet grass, but that still seems quick for that corner.

Slowing the gfy down though gives me hope, it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Yes it's still very bad, but I thought he had caught the tractor flush instead of colliding with the sloped angle.

dakun

damn, he got a double dose of bad and good luck with this impact, if the JCB had backed up any quicker the car would have speared it head on almost certainly killing him there and then.

i actually think a head on collision (meaning hitting with the nose of the car first) would mean him getting out of the car much less injured than he actually was.

The cockpit itself is build to survive head on collisions at that speed. At worst he would've suffered a broken leg or cuts and bruises but his head wouldn't be harmed. Maybe a concussion because of the G Forces but nothing too bad.

At worst a head on collision would put the marshals at much more risk.

DBT85

i actually think a head on collision (meaning hitting with the nose of the car first) would mean him getting out of the car much less injured than he actually was.

The cockpit itself is build to survive head on collisions at that speed. At worst he would've suffered a broken leg or cuts and bruises but his head wouldn't be harmed. Maybe a concussion because of the G Forces but nothing too bad.

I agree. Had he hit it nose first he would almost certainly be in a better condition than he is right now, the cars can hit solid walls at speed and the drivers walk out.

Massa

With a head on collision his head would've absorbed most of the impact instead of his car.

Wow was he moving fast... I understand hydroplaning and the lack of braking on wet grass, but that still seems quick for that corner.

Slowing the gfy down though gives me hope, it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Yes it's still very bad, but I thought he had caught the tractor flush instead of colliding with the sloped angle.

For the conditions, perhaps, but the Dunlop Curve has an opening radius down to the Degner Curves, and the fast line goes out toward the right edge of the track, so it's not unlikely he was probably accelerating through there like he normally would have on any other lap.

Here's Webber's pole lap from last year, as he's going through the Esses up to Dunlop. 210-220 km/h is about normal through that area in dry conditions, but with the wet conditions yesterday, I have no idea how slow they might have been going through there.

In between the JCB's wheels, just a few more metres and he would have been killed. With that momentum he would have gone straight underneath it with his head taking a full frontal impact.

Juicy Bob

You can even see the cameraman captured the accident up close. To think, we could've been live on that camera when Bianchi lost control and witnessed it all live...

I am very critical of FOM at times, but the way the TV director handled the accident was commendable.

RoKKeR

You can even see the cameraman captured the accident up close. To think, we could've been live on that camera when Bianchi lost control and witnessed it all live...

I am very critical of FOM at times, but the way the TV director handled the accident was commendable.

Absolutely. I can't even imagine if it was one of the leaders/drivers who was live at the moment. They handled it very well.

dakun

Yeah i noticed that too.. They have it all on camera.

It's interesting really because sometimes like for example with the crash of Kubica the TV director immediately shows us the crash as soon as it happens, often being fast enough to show us a scene mid-crash, which makes me think that more often than not the switching to the crash is more of a reflex than a thought out process. Kubica's state of health was unknown when we were shown the crash too.

So it's really interesting that with this specific key there wasn't this reflexive switching then seeing how bad it is and show us other things.

Does anyone know if the F1 broadcast is in any way time delayed?? maybe 10 or 20 seconds so they can cut out potentially fatal stuff.

kiyomi

I believe the Japanese GP broadcast is actually handled by the Fuji TV people. Historically, at least, that was the case. They are/were the only race to have directorial control over the broadcast alongside Monte Carlo.

D_prOdigy

Stark contrast to the MotoGP race in which Simoncelli tragically lost his life. I recall they actually showed a slow-mo replay of the incident straight away - his obviously unconscious body sliding across the ground.

Chris R

For the conditions, perhaps, but the Dunlop Curve has an opening radius down to the Degner Curves, and the fast line goes out toward the right edge of the track, so it's not unlikely he was probably accelerating through there like he normally would have on any other lap.

Here's Webber's pole lap from last year, as he's going through the Esses up to Dunlop. 210-220 km/h is about normal through that area in dry conditions, but with the wet conditions yesterday, I have no idea how slow they might have been going through there.

Someone capped the F1 app and showed him hitting 200km/h. No idea how accurate it is.

Either way, still too fast for double yellow + wet conditions.

woeds

This shot was made by someone from the grandstands, it said so in the description of the original Youtube-video.

Ark

Having seen the crash video I really can't see how Bianchi could make a recovery from that. I really hope he does, it would be a crime if the world is robbed of his talent so early.

TylerD

That crash video was heartbreaking. As someone with the utmost respect for those that race and live for speed putting their lives on the line for their passion... it is incredibly hard to watch. Godspeed Jules, hope to see you back on track.

Yeahh... that is not good.
The front left of the helmet pretty much took the full force of the impact, and the impact was very, very hard.

I believe the Japanese GP broadcast is actually handled by the Fuji TV people. Historically, at least, that was the case. They are/were the only race to have directorial control over the broadcast alongside Monte Carlo.
They lost it in 2012, one would assume given the nature of F1 that they weren't allowed to wrestle that back.

Staab

I'm pretty sure a "live broadcast" doesn't exist anymore now that everything is caught on camera all the time, there's a slight time delay on all of it to allow them to avoid showing shocking content on screen.

mikeyw85

Banned
I'm pretty sure a "live broadcast" doesn't exist anymore now that everything is caught on camera all the time, there's a slight time delay on all of it to allow them to avoid showing shocking content on screen.
Yeah exactly, there's a delay where the director can make a decision whether to show or not to show.

itsgreen

Yeah exactly, there's a delay where the director can make a decision whether to show or not to show.

Not sure, they did instantly switch to the Sutil crash site after Bianchi... they just didn't show the replay because they realized that it might be VERY bad...

frontieruk

he knows that. But you can see the camera man on the scene of the crash capturing Bianchi's crash up close.

He can't track it right in, he never gets right round, but you can bet they've number crunched what they do have to work out the speed Bianchi was going

itsgreen

Get a bit sick every time I see it. Such bad luck.

We'll probably never know what happened.If we are lucky enough he'll be ok eventually he'll likely remembers nothing...

Hope he'll be allright.

Shaneus

What's that, five years?
It's a smart move. From what I can recall of the driver salaries, RBR is largely performance-based (which explains Seb's money vs. Danny's) while Ferrari's clearly isn't (when Alonso is the second or third-highest paid). Again, from memory.

TomServo

The green flag shown by the marshall ahead of the accident scene was simply indicating that the track was clear from that point on. The camera shots of Sutil shown were facing backwards down the circuit.

There was nothing wrong with what the marshalls did.

Yeah, I think I'm just getting confused by the camera angle. It's odd to see a green in the same shot as a tractor, but i'm guessing the flag stand is actually well past the crash site.

Anyway, I'm stunned he survived that crash. Brutal. Says something for the safety of the cars, the effectiveness of the driver's gear, and their level of fitness.

jey_16

Banned
damn....that accident was brutal, hopefully he pulls through. Would a closed cockpit made that much difference in this situation? Considering the force of impact, i would have to imagine that the cockpit would have to be very strong?

RoKKeR

No news about Jules condition yet?

A little under 24 hours ago was the last official communication that really just asked to respect the privacy of the family. Nothing more that I've seen yet.

And to think FP1 for the Russian GP is just a few days away. Ugh.

John_B

The accident looks horrible. It shows the achilles' heel of these cars. If the front goes under an object and fails to absorb much of the impact, then the head is in a very dangerous position.

DBT85

As someone who broadcasts live sport for a living, there is a delay of about 2 seconds. That's nothing to do with the director being able to hide nasty stuff, but based on the case a year or so ago of that pub that was using a satellite in the UK to get other countries sports broadcasts. The delay is put in on the outgoing signal.

Since you can't copyright a live broadcast they all put it on a 2 second delay so that now, technically, it isn't.

They could easily have been looking at that accident as it happened.

damn....that accident was brutal, hopefully he pulls through. Would a closed cockpit made that much difference in this situation? Considering the force of impact, i would have to imagine that the cockpit would have to be very strong?

I honestly doubt it. For what he was hitting and at that angle, a closed cockpit would have just shredded right off the top of the car.

Top Bottom