• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Ark

Would a jet fighter canopy have just wedged it under the tractor? Surely it wouldn't cave in if it can take a wheel launched at several hundred kph.

Like this.

frontieruk

The cars have GPS...

I'm aware, I'm also aware that even the best GPS has a margin of error which is why there are speed traps around the track, the variance might only be 1-5km which wouldn't affect the outcome but they'd still want to have an accurate speed to lay plans for prevention.

What's that, five years?
The apparent contract offered is 25 million euros per year for three years with the built-in option of expanding that for a further two.

Also Vettel was able to get out of his 2015 Red Bull contract due to a clause which ran till 30th September 2014 where if he was lower than 3rd place in the driver's champion then he could exit the contract.

DBT85

Would a jet fighter canopy have just wedged it under the tractor? Surely it wouldn't cave in if it can take a wheel launched at several hundred kph.

Like this.

The fighter canopy hitting a solid metal truck at the same speed I'm guessing wouldn't have just deflected it.

And again when it is on fire and upside down....

That's a risk to be assessed. The flexible fuel cell was introduced years ago and the last major fuel tank fire was in 1989. They are puncture proof and all the lines are auto shutoff in case of severing. Fire is of course dangerous, but thanks to those advances with the fuel cells and the many layers the drivers wear, fire is no longer as huge a cause for concern as it once was.

Scarbs writeup on fuel tanks is very interesting

Ark

Woah. Maybe Vettel's poor performance this year was just a ruse to leave the contract!

@DBT: I'm not saying the canopy would have deflected it, just that it would presumably have the structural integrity to adjust the car's trajectory in such a way as to avoid the driver's head. I only suggest it because he hit the sloped part of the truck.

Really hope we get some good news today. The media silence is worrying.

Shaneus

Holy shit. Just watching my recording of Sunday's race, and it's incredible hearing Brundle say that someone could well aquaplane across in the same area, only a lap or two before the red flag.

Makes one feel numb seeing this. Kind of grateful I missed it all unfolding live, don't know how I would've felt. Thankfully during this broadcast there was no live footage shown, at least on Australian TV.

Fuck :/

Woah. Maybe Vettel's poor performance this year was just a ruse to leave the contract!

I would love to know what the get out clause was. I suspect it relied on team performance rather than just his performance though. Wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with reliability either.

Dead Man

Now people are going to think that rather than he was just crap against Danny :(

I can't see someone as competitive as Vettel doing that. And if somebody defends him by claiming he did, that is just fine, if they want him to be a sour brat who will tank results to get out of a contract that's no skin off my nose.

Hammer24

Banned
I can't see someone as competitive as Vettel doing that. And if somebody defends him by claiming he did, that is just fine, if they want him to be a sour brat who will tank results to get out of a contract that's no skin off my nose.

That´d be rather illogical. He had no way of knowing, that ALO would be out of FER when the season and his bad results started. And he´d never have driven in one team with ALO.

Mastah

I'm aware, I'm also aware that even the best GPS has a margin of error which is why there are speed traps around the track, the variance might only be 1-5km which wouldn't affect the outcome but they'd still want to have an accurate speed to lay plans for prevention.

Cars have complex telemetry, they even record loadings on suspension arms ffs, so unless telemetry wasn't working, team and FIA have tons of accurate data from the accident.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, lets lighten the mood a bit and look at the teams and confirmed drivers for next year, it's less than you'd expect:

Mercedes AMG Petronas
6. N. Rosberg
44. L. Hamilton

Infiniti Red Bull Racing
3. D. Ricciardo
26. D. Kvyat

Scuderia Ferrari
7. K. Raikkonen

Williams Martini Racing
19. F. Massa
77. V. Bottas

McLaren Honda

Scuderia Toro Rosso
##. M. Verstappen

Sahara Force India F1
27. N. Hulkenberg

Sauber F1 Team

Lotus F1 Team
13. P. Maldonado

Marussia F1 Team

Caterham F1 Team

Staab

It's the Russian GP anyways...
I don't know about you guys but I'm definitely boycotting that one and not watching it live, it's pretty much the only thing I can do to express my feelings towards having a race in a region where a country has illegally usurped land from another territory and is creating chaos.
I'm actually shocked there hasn't been more vocal people in the paddock about that, for the Bahrain race some of them at least spoke out about the situation.

DBT85

Apparently Bianchi is in critical, but stable condition. To me it feels a bit wrong to have another GP so soon.

Lets not forget that in 1994 at Imola both Ratzenberger and Senna died, Barrichello nearly died, 4 members of the crowd and a policeman were injured from debris from another accident and a member of the Ferrari pit crew was seriously injured after a tyre came off in the pitlane. They raced 2 weeks later in Monaco where Wendlinger nearly died in FP1.

I didn't realise that that weekend not only brought in the new push for safety on the track but also the speed limit in the pits, and that the changes to the cars were made for the next two races to slow them all down.

It's the Russian GP anyways...
I don't know about you guys but I'm definitely boycotting that one and not watching it live, it's pretty much the only thing I can do to express my feelings towards having a race in a region where a country has illegally usurped land from another territory and is creating chaos.
I'm actually shocked there hasn't been more vocal people in the paddock about that, for the Bahrain race some of them at least spoke out about the situation.

Sports folk tend not to publicly comment on world politics.

Dead Man

That´d be rather illogical. He had no way of knowing, that ALO would be out of FER when the season and his bad results started. And he´d never have driven in one team with ALO.

Hang on, what would? Vettel throwing away positions or someone claiming he had done that?

kiyomi

Wouldn't that be awkward? A minute's silence for someone alive?

Yeah that would be weird. I'm sure they'll do a group photo or something with all the drivers and a banner wishing Jules health or something like that.

Also, I have a stupid question: why are people saying/using the hashtag Forza Jules? He's not Italian.

Septimius

Apparently Bianchi is in critical, but stable condition. To me it feels a bit wrong to have another GP so soon.

It's a tragic event, but I can't really support such a superfluous sport as F1 to throw away millions of dollars to postpone or otherwise change the schedule. Let's be realistic, what does it change if there's a race, or not? It goes for life in general. Bad things will happen. We most move on from such things. The pace that we try to move on in is determined by ourselves. If some of the drivers or some such say they're not ready to have a race so soon after this incident, then that's perfectly understandable. It's not really "the show must go on", because it implies that the show is more important than the event. It's not that, it's more the fact that not racing doesn't change anything. We all pay our respects, and you bet everyone in the paddock does so even more. Let them race and honor racing and Bianchi, rather than not.

Thinking past the outcome of Jules situation this really impacts Ferrari down the line, I can't see him making a full recovery any time soon (Massa took a few years to get back to anywhere near where he was before and that seems like a minor injury compared to this) and presumably they had planned to have him in 2016 along Vettel.

DBT85

This isn't graphic for anyone not wanting to look, he's still in the car and has his balaclava thing on with a black strap around his forehead. No blood or anything. Eyes shut and a breathing mask.

There is also a pic of the cell where you can see part of the car directly behind him survived also showing that the side of his hemlet that you can see at least is in very good condition considering. The visor isn't even broken.

Ark

Depends. Don't forget Hakkinen technically died in 1995.

We won't see Bianchi in a car again until preseason testing - if he recovers.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
No new parts for Sochi, due to stricter customs laws, which would take too long. Teams were informed about this in advance, so lack of parts shouldn't be a problem.

Also it so late in the season that any upgrades are quite rare or are already parts for 2015 track evaluation

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Mohonky

Gary Hartstein absolutely nails my feelings about the accident.

As we werent shown the accident, there were a lot of calls that the SC should have been out immediately, the JCB shouldnt have been there etc. now I am not going to all out and say Jules was just driving way to fast, but it certainly seems that it likely contributed to the accident. I thought he might have just slid off casually slid of the track and got caught under the JCB in an awkward way, but when you see the impact it becomes obvious he wasnt carrying just a bit of speed, but a whole shit load of it. To lift a 6 tonne vehicle like that and throw it it sideways the way that impact did, the forces at play there are absolutely staggering.

The author of that article brings up a very good point about drivers pushing the limit of what constitutes a reasonable amount of slow down for that sector. All a driver needs to do is prove they were slower in that sector; not how much slower, but that they were. Lewis mentioned it in his interview, he say the yellow flags and his understanding is that you must be driving in such a way that you can avoid a stopped vehicle or completely stop yourself. If for instance comimg up that hill there ome of more cars impacted and stranded in the middle of the road, there is no way Bianchi could have stopped or swerved round the, at the speed he was travelling in those current conditions. It could have been a driver trying to get out of a wreck and escape behind the safety barrier that gets cleaned up.

Despite the fact I believe Bianchi contributed to the incident, I dont believe he is entirely accountable; there is definitely a vagueness to the rules of what speed a driver can or should be travelling at between yellow flags and its something that has gone on pretty much unpunished or discussed. In all the years I have watched F1, I actually cant recall the last time a driver was punished for driving too dangerously or too quickly throughly a yellow sector and yet despite this, I also cant recall ever seeing anyone really lifting off all that greatly, in a lot of cases it doesnt even look like they habe lifted at all, maybe just short shifted a gear or two, or lifted slightly earlier before a corner but never really anything to suggest a driver was really slowing down, unless they could see a car on the track right in front of them.

I said earlier in the thread I didnt think we needed a knee jerk reaction about whose fault this all ways or whether or not they should have brought out a safety car and realistically even if they had, the cars arent necessarily going to slow down until they catch up to it so whatever speeds the drivers were doing through the double yellow they likely would have done anyway until they caught to the safety car.

Of there is anything I think should be immediately addressed in the coming races, its to get a proper guideline out to drivers as to what is an agreeable speed to carry through double waved yellows. If that means all drivers must do 100km/h or less like a pitlane, so be it.

While I agree with the ultimate statement that he was traveling too fast to be safe, I put absolutely, positively zero blame on Bianchi. Drivers drive as fast as you let them. Always. If you want them to drive slower, you must force them to. That's the job of Charlie and the rule makers.

Blaming the driver is a complete crock of shit.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
A Statement from the family of Jules Bianchi

Yokkaichi, Japan
7 October 2014, 23.00hrs local/15.00hrs BST

The following statement is provided by the family of Jules Bianchi, in conjunction with the Mie General Medical Center, and is distributed on their behalf by the Marussia F1 Team.

“This is a very difficult time for our family, but the messages of support and affection for Jules from all over the world have been a source of great comfort to us. We would like to express our sincere appreciation.

Jules remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaichi. He has suffered a diffuse axonal injury and is in a critical but stable condition. The medical professionals at the hospital are providing the very best treatment and care and we are grateful for everything they have done for Jules since his accident.

We are also grateful for the presence of Professor Gerard Saillant, President of the FIA Medical Commission, and Professor Alessandro Frati, Neurosurgeon of the University of Rome La Sapienza, who has travelled to Japan at the request of Scuderia Ferrari. They arrived at the hospital today and met with the medical personnel responsible for Jules’ treatment, in order to be fully informed of his clinical status so that they are able to advise the family. Professors Saillant and Frati acknowledge the excellent care being provided by the Mie General Medical Center and would like to thank their Japanese colleagues.

The hospital will continue to monitor and treat Jules and further medical updates will be provided when appropriate.”

Doesn't sound good :(

Aiii

So not worth it
Unfortunately what I (and I guess most of us) were expecting, but not hoping for :(

Lets hope he can at least recover to the point that he's able to function normally.

NHale

Doesn't sound good :(

I'm going to wait until Gary Hartstein posts about it. I don't like taking conclusions from wikipedia and stuff and like it says on the wikipage it can be just a mild concussion or vegetative state..

From what I read the Mie General Medical Center is one of the best Japanese Medical Centers in Neurology and they also called 4 of the best neurologists in the entire country to be there during the weekend. I hope that helped him somehow.

Top Bottom