• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Mohonky

While I agree with the ultimate statement that he was traveling too fast to be safe, I put absolutely, positively zero blame on Bianchi. Drivers drive as fast as you let them. Always. If you want them to drive slower, you must force them to. That's the job of Charlie and the rule makers.

Blaming the driver is a complete crock of shit.
No one is blaming him, simply pointing out what you mentioned, the drivers more clearly defined boundaries on what to do under a double yellow.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Severe brain injury is the most terrifying form of injury to me. Horrible. :-/

DD

Fuck... =/

I wanna know what the idiots responsible for not pushing forward the start of the race have to say now. Also, Massa, Surtees, Weldon, Alonso (almost), and now Bianchi, and probably more... how many drivers will get injured until people finally realize that the look of the cars is way less important than the driver's safety?

Leonsito

That looks worse than the Schumi accident, I mean, it was expected due to the speed and the crash, but is awful to hear confirmation...

No one is blaming him, simply pointing out what you mentioned, the drivers more clearly defined boundaries on what to do under a double yellow.

This guy is, at least, partially blaming the drivers for not obeying flag rules to the T. Plain and simply, this isn't their problem. I just found the article to be complete overreaction, and not based in reality.

BTW, the most memorable of yellow flag penalties was when Jacques got disqualified from, coincidentally, the '97 Japanese GP. That was about Ferrari screwing him however, nothing about safety :) I'd guess there have been some since, but nothing is jumping out at me.

Mastah

In other, less bad news:

KHP Consulting ‏@khpconsulting

KHP are in Azerbaijan organising the press conference to announce the 2016 Baku European GP. And we are underway!

BzWjsyhIEAA80Bx.jpg

BzWkQ-JIAAADWIL.jpg:orig

kvk1

Hah, looks like an IndyCar street circuit.

I gotta say, as funky as that looks on paper, it can make for some good tight racing.

dubc35

Terrible looking street circuit by a marina? Pretty much a done deal. Now...if they make it a night race then this is signed, sealed, and 100% a done deal. Double points could raise the chances above 100%, even if not mathematically possible.

Mastah

Hartstein's opinion on Bianchi's injury:

I’m totally gutted, sickened, by having to ask you to go back to December and January’s posts for more about ICP if you’re interested. I don’t have the heart to go through this again. Not for another of our guys. Jeez.

DAI is usually associated with a somber prognosis. Jules is young, strong, and is being cared for by a superb team. C’mon Jules. Go for it.

and much more on http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/diffuse-axonal-injury/

JardeL

Unlike some of the other brain injuries that may be caused by a blow to the head this one is different. Diffuse axonal brain injury is caused by the movement of the brain within the skull. As a closed head injury, this can be much more dangerous than an open head injury because of the tearing of the brain tissue and the swelling that can occur. These movements, which are normally a back and forth type of movement, disrupt the nerve cells which allow the neurons to send messages between them. Once those cells are disrupted and the links between them broken, the signally process can not occur and functions like movement, speech, and even those that support life can cease.
[ http://www.braininjuryinstitute.org/Brain-Injury-Types/Diffuse-Axonal-Brain-Injury.html ]

Looks like the helmet & other driver safety measures did their job, but the impact was too big to avoid this kind of injury.

While I agree with the ultimate statement that he was traveling too fast to be safe, I put absolutely, positively zero blame on Bianchi. Drivers drive as fast as you let them. Always. If you want them to drive slower, you must force them to. That's the job of Charlie and the rule makers.

Blaming the driver is a complete crock of shit.

Yes, they really should try to enforce some kind of speed-limit through a zone where there is a double waved yellow. Most of the time they will only need it for 1-3 minutes and a safety car would take a lot longer than that.

DBT85

What about the track being broken down into zones like the pitlane is? So they have to average say 80kph through a zone or get a penalty. White lines on the road, markers at the side of the road.

So Where you have a track broken down into 3 sectors at the moment for timing, break it down into say 10 sectors for safety.

I suppose one issue with that is that anyone caught in it just as it goes green is at a disadvantage from the guy speeding up the track behind him who doesn't have to slow down.

Branson

What about the track being broken down into zones like the pitlane is? So they have to average say 80kph through a zone or get a penalty. White lines on the road, markers at the side of the road.

So Where you have a track broken down into 3 sectors at the moment for timing, break it down into say 10 sectors for safety.

I suppose one issue with that is that anyone caught in it just as it goes green is at a disadvantage from the guy speeding up the track behind him who doesn't have to slow down.
Safety should overcome fairness. Yellows happen in racing so might as well make them as safe as possible.

itsgreen

I am 'not not' blaming him because he's severely life threatening injured. Don't forget he endangered the lives of those marshalls.

It fucking sucks and I really really hope everything will work out eventually, but there was only one person in control of the gaspedal and if he lifted off more there is a chance he wouldn't have lost control. He is an adult and knew the risks by not lifting off more.

I realize it sounds harsh but people shouldn't be afraid to blame him because he's injured and that is what happening.

I am 'not not' blaming him because he's severely life threatening injured. Don't forget he endangered the lives of those marshalls.

It fucking sucks and I really really hope everything will work out eventually, but there was only one person in control of the gaspedal and if he lifted off more there is a chance he wouldn't have lost control. He is an adult and knew the risks by not lifting off more.

I realize it sounds harsh but people shouldn't be afraid to blame him because he's injured and that is what happening.

Complete and utter rubbish.

The safety of the track, and it's marshalls is entirely the responsibility of the FIA. I'll bet my house Bianchi's telemetry looks exactly the same as the other 20 guys that were circulating at that time. The Marussia is a piece of crap as well, so you could expect it to be way down on kph through there too.

If the situation is too dangerous for the drivers and marshalls, put out the safety car. That's exactly what it's for.

RoKKeR

Just heard the news about Jules today. Horrible stuff, about as bad as one could imagine. C'mon man, keep fighting.

dubc35

I keep checking around to see if there's any more information and that's really the hard part about injuries like this: nothing good happens quickly. :(

yami4ct

Man, super sorry to hear that stuff about Jules, but it's definitely what I expected. Really hope he pulls, though. Seems like this is going to be another waiting game like Schumy, which is sad. Well, you can't rush good medicine and I'm sure Jules is getting the best care he possibly could be. Good luck to him.

It seems that Alexander Rossi will drive for Marussia from here on.

Hell of a way to get in the car, but I can't wait to see him out there. Might be a good resume to eventually get picked up by the Haas Formula One team. Whatever he says, Haas has to know there needs to be at least one American on that squad to get American viewers to care.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looking at Sochi track, that is some seriously long run into the first corner and also loooooong pit line, this could be 30+ seconds pit stop total time.

DBT85

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Lotus close to get the Mercedes deal done... Alonso and Flavio incoming?
Doubt it, Lotus of 2012 and 2013 is long dead with all the best chassis and aero people gone to Mercedes and Ferrari.
It would be a worse move than moving to McLaren who at least have the budget and have been actively hiring for a year now.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Well, they'll have to talk about this at some point, but who's going to replace Bianchi at Marussia for at least Sochi if not longer?

Alexander Rossi (currently 21st in GP2), or the freshly-signed Will Stevens (currently 6th in Formula Renault 3.5)? Or someone else with a larger bundle of money?

Aiii

So not worth it
Currently watching the 1998 FIA Year Review, this was reAlly the year F1 had the most beautiful cars. Also, it has rekindled my love for all things Mika Hakkinen. What a tremendous driver.

NHale

Currently watching the 1998 FIA Year Review, this was reAlly the year F1 had the most beautiful cars. Also, it has rekindled my love for all things Mika Hakkinen. What a tremendous driver.

I will never forget that overtake at Spa against Schummy. And one thing I will always admire about him was his ability to overcome so many adversities. He came back after a huge shunt at Adelaide while other drivers like Massa, Wendlinger or Panis never managed to get back to the same level from lesser crashes.

Coulthard (and cough Villeneuve cough) gifting him his 1st win at F1 in Jerez. Then when he battled Schumacher, he almost always managed to stay the same. Calm, funny, teary and never seemed to be bothered by pressure. I compare it to the glorious battle between Alonso+Renault+Briatore+Michelin vs Schumacher+Ferrari+Todt+Bridgestone and that year was a complete trainwreck of emotions in which every part lost control. Meanwhile Mika never did. Schummy and Todt mind games never seemed to bother him.

Wow how I miss the that Renault and Ferrari battle. There were accusations thrown every weekend. Mass dampers, Ferrari putting sticky substances in their tyres, illegal fuel, illegal suspensions. This Hamilton vs Rosberg battle is a kids fight compared to that year. How do I miss those times where teams pushed everything. Every race there was upgrades, new engines, new tyres etc.

Business

I will never forget that overtake at Spa against Schummy.

That is in my opinion the most overrated overtake ever. Yeah I get it that Zonta in the middle made it more spectacular but the overtake itself was just a matter of having a massively faster car in the straight. IIRC in the previous lap he almost passed him in the same spot but Schumacher avoided it by being a tad dirty or at least very agressive. In the next lap with Zonta in the middle he couldn't shut the door and Hakkinen just got the inside easy. Literally every race weekend these days I see a better one, Hamilton on Rosberg sunday required much more skill.

Jibbed

From a drivers' perspective, that layout looks like it could be a lot of fun. A few technical areas, a long complex of turns similar to the infamous Turn 8 at Istanbul, and some decent runs down into heavy braking areas.

There is no pleasing some people. You should see the state of the Baku WTCC layout, then tell me this is a bad track.

Also, +1 on the Hakkinen move being overrated. It was more a case of right place, right time. The build up to that move was so intense though with the level of defensive driving Schumacher was maintaining.

Top Bottom