• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

That is in my opinion the most overrated overtake ever. Yeah I get it that Zonta in the middle made it more spectacular but the overtake itself was just a matter of having a massively faster car in the straight. IIRC in the previous lap he almost passed him in the same spot but Schumacher avoided it by being a tad dirty or at least very agressive. In the next lap with Zonta in the middle he couldn't shut the door and Hakkinen just got the inside easy. Literally every race weekend these days I see a better one, Hamilton on Rosberg sunday required much more skill.

Hakkinen had to have complete faith that Zonta would stay in the middle of the track. At 200 mph, nearly on the grass, I think it was ballsy stuff.
But I dont agree with the poster who said Schumi and Ferrari never got into Mikka's head. See Monza 98.

On the subject of incredible overrtakes: Schumacher's move on Jean Alesi at the closing stages of the 95 European GP ranks as one of the best of the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtEngb41BQU

Who gave approval on that track design? Wait. I already know it's Bernie. It's a non-question. It's designed for maximum awesome camera shots like the proposed New Jersey track was and little regard for actual racing. It has some weird enough features that I can see some of the drivers loving it, at least.

I have to sort of question the safety of turning a street circuit into a power course. It starts with the absol-freaking-lutely absurd 2.2km straight that has a total of 3 kinks and ends with a kink at the start of the braking zone. Oh yeah. That'll go well. That huge loop will be flat-out, which, again, really, be totally safe!

Then let's throw in a segment through a tiny alley that makes the Monaco hairpin look like a wide avenue and copy-paste the insufferable sector 3 of Singapore to finish the lap. The alleged top speed is to be 340 but with a 2.2km straight and another huge flat-out section the cars are going to be set up like Monza where the speed trap hit almost 360 this year, which, again, soooooo totally safe with those kinks and a 1km-long blind multi-apex right turn.

That Azerbaijan track is a joke. I'm assuming Tilke designed it?
Naturally.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/10/16459.html

I have to sort of question the safety of turning a street circuit into a power course. It starts with the absol-freaking-lutely absurd 2.2km straight that has a total of 3 kinks and ends with a kink at the start of the braking zone. Oh yeah. That'll go well.

Going to need some hellishly impressive barriers.

Going to need some hellishly impressive barriers.
One of the spots that'll be most prone to contact (first kink on the long straight) is going to have to be solid concrete because the track also runs in the opposite direction along that segment of the avenue.

To be completely fair there is at least a good deal of runoff area at the end of the main straight. Between the kink and what'll have to be a second kink just before the apex I think it'll look a lot like the turn at the end of Mulsanne. Also, the reason the track carves through a tiny alley in the middle is so that there's a block (75m) of runoff space at the end of the curve. I think. That's the only logical reason I can think of.

John_B

I'm getting the feeling that Rosberg needs to draw on some serious luck to clinch the title in the end. He does a decent job on Saturdays, but I don't remember him being able to hold Hamilton at any width on Sundays. Hamilton was crushing Rosberg at Monza and Suzuka.

Are both Mercedes drivers going to have to take a sixth engine in use before the end of the season?

Pterion

Wikipedia makes a depressing read.
90% of severe cases of diffuse axonal injuries end up in pernament coma.
That's kind of misleading as far I'm concerned. No one, at least that I know of in the clinical world, has a clear definition of severe DAI. There are pathological and radiographical grading scales, but most clinicians can recall some high-functioning patients who had grade 3 radiographical DAI (subcortical white matter, corpus callosum and brainstem findings on MRI) who recovered almost completely. I personally suspected DAI the second I saw the footage, but from the limited information given to the media, I presume he also had some pretty severe cortical contusions causing an acute subdural hematoma. I'm guessing that's why he got operated for 3 hours, but there may be more reasons (depressed skull fracture, epidural hematoma, craniectomy for ICP control, etc).
I'm getting the feeling that Rosberg needs to draw on some serious luck to clinch the title in the end. He does a decent job on Saturdays, but I don't remember him being able to hold Hamilton at any width on Sundays. Hamilton was crushing Rosberg at Monza and Suzuka.

Are both Mercedes drivers going to have to take a sixth engine in use before the end of the season?
It is pretty obvious that Rosberg is no match for Hamilton on Sundays. Rosberg is mighty fast in qualifying but his race pace and race craft is generally inferior. Hamilton should win a 2nd WDC as long as bad luck doesn't strike him yet again. A criminally long overdue 2nd WDC, if you ask me.

DBT85

I doubt either driver will have to take a penalty on engines. If they were going to do it then of course just like everyone else, you do it before the last race of the season. They have the advantage of course of being able to qualify at the front so could probably recover to 2nd/3rd in the race.

Another thing to consider is that if you just replace the entire power unit you have to start from the pitlane. So if one were to have a Q1 accident or something that meant they were starting near the back anyway, then swapping out the whole caboodle might be worth it.

Hamilton is proving again and again that he has Rosberg in his pocket on Sundays, but that Rosberg can match/beat him on one lap pace on Saturdays. Fortunately for Lewis, Sunday is what matters.

Lest we forget Lewis is 10 points in front despite 3 DNFs, 1 start from the back of the grid and one start from the pitlane while Nico hasn't started outside the top 4 and only DNF twice.

The issue of course is that 10 points is not enough. A tiny mistake in Abu Double will take anyone out of the race and cost them or others dearly, I hope the title isn;t decided based on double points and the intervention of another drivers error on Lewis/Nico. Of course Lewis will want to be 51 points ahead from the final race of the season (not likely imo), or at least 15 to ensure he can follow Rosberg home and still win. Not needing to pass your title rival in the last race of the year would be quite beneficial!

Ark

We all know Hamilton's car is going to explode in Abu Dhabi. Not even worth discussing it :p

It would be hilarious if both Rosberg and Hamilton retire from the race.

Mastah

Ferrari putting sticky substances in their tyres

*cough* 2001 Japanese GP *cough*

That palm tree doesn't look suspicious at all:

BzaHEHDCAAA1WKx.jpg:orig

Hammer24

Banned
That palm tree doesn't look suspicious at all:

BzaHEHDCAAA1WKx.jpg:orig

You are aware that this is an internationally available cell tower model, of which several thousand have been sold to date?
Its purpose is to defeat building regulations that mandate that no structure might be built higher than the tallest palm tree.

yami4ct

We all know Hamilton's car is going to explode in Abu Dhabi. Not even worth discussing it :p

It would be hilarious if both Rosberg and Hamilton retire from the race.

With the silly double points, I could see either driver getting too aggressive and taking both of them out. With that much on the line, it's like the FIA is daring silliness like that to happen.

Blablurn

BILD was showing this picture today.

2,w=650,c=0.bild.jpg

But what happens if the windows shatter? Not like that's very healthy either, innit? Even with helmet and suit.

Caramello

Razgreez

The "windows" wouldn't shatter, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h6GHEEWR_U

Besides, the issue is an accident forcing the cockpit closed. If a car catches fire the driver would be trapped.

Something like this could be looked at though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgHh4V0WYCs

the cockpit in that image should technically be able to provide access, and thus emergency access, from 3 areas so it should considerable limit the potential for a driver to get trapped in the event of a fire

Mastah

You are aware that this is an internationally available cell tower model, of which several thousand have been sold to date?
Its purpose is to defeat building regulations that mandate that no structure might be built higher than the tallest palm tree.

Yes.

Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton 54s55 seconds ago

No word as yet from Marussia over their plans for this weekend, but 2 cars are being prepped in Sochi today.

itsgreen

The "windows" wouldn't shatter, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h6GHEEWR_U

Besides, the issue is an accident forcing the cockpit closed. If a car catches fire the driver would be trapped.

Something like this could be looked at though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgHh4V0WYCs

Am not sure that in this specific case the canopy would been sufficient. a 3000 kg solid steel vehicle (at let's say 175 km/h) isn't the same as a 20 kg tyre (pretty solid) at 220 km/h. Not much you can do at that. The bar has a much better chance, but that represents other challenges because the driver loses quite a bit of vision probably...

Nicktendo86

Ty4on

Am not sure that in this specific case the canopy would been sufficient. a 3000 kg solid steel vehicle (at let's say 175 km/h) isn't the same as a 20 kg tyre (pretty solid) at 220 km/h. Not much you can do at that. The bar has a much better chance, but that represents other challenges because the driver loses quite a bit of vision probably...
You need to use the mass of the F1 car, not the truck which is pretty much stationary. Otherwise hitting a building at 50km/h would have the same energy as that building hitting you at 50km/h...

Edit: The canopy would have to "lift" the truck (the suspension would also deform I imagine), but that isn't as brutal as the truck moving at 175km/h :p

DBT85

The roll hoop only helps for things coming straight at them, not from the sides.

As for the driver trapped in fire issue, we've not had a fuel fire or major car fire in a very long time thanks to the advances in the flexible fuel cells, one safety option has to be weighed against the other.

In the last few years we've had De Villota, Massa, Bianchi in F1 cars, Henry Surtees in GP2, Dan Wheldon in Indycar, not to mention all the others that have died due to something hitting their head, not from the actual crash itself.

I can't remember the last driver to die in a fire, the last one in F1 was Elio de Angelis in 1986 in testing and he actually died form smoke inhalation, not burning. He had minor burns on his back. All because there were not enough stewards at the track and he couldn't get out of an open cockpit alone.

itsgreen

You need to use the mass of the F1 car, not the truck which is pretty much stationary. Otherwise hitting a building at 50km/h would have the same energy as that building hitting you at 50km/h...

Yeah that's absolutely right. But hitting a pretty solid truck with the F1 car going 180 and a F1 car going 220 and hitting a 20kg tyre is quite different...

Ty4on

Yeah that's absolutely right. But hitting a pretty solid truck with the F1 car going 180 and a F1 car going 220 and hitting a 20kg tyre is quite different...

Sure, but it would probably help deflect some of the energy the trajectory and avoid a head on impact. Bianchi's injury seem to me to show that the helmet did its job, but the g forces were too high.

Best solution would be avoiding crashes into marshalls from happening like extra strict double yellows or a SC when they are out on a slippery track. There just shouldn't be a solid piece of steel able to hit the driver's head.

Caramello

The roll hoop only helps for things coming straight at them, not from the sides.

As for the driver trapped in fire issue, we've not had a fuel fire or major car fire in a very long time thanks to the advances in the flexible fuel cells, one safety option has to be weighed against the other.

In the last few years we've had De Villota, Massa, Bianchi in F1 cars, Henry Surtees in GP2, Dan Wheldon in Indycar, not to mention all the others that have died due to something hitting their head, not from the actual crash itself.

I can't remember the last driver to die in a fire, the last one in F1 was Elio de Angelis in 1986 in testing and he actually died form smoke inhalation, not burning. He had minor burns on his back. All because there were not enough stewards at the track and he couldn't get out of an open cockpit alone.

Yes these are all valid points but clearly there is a reason they haven't implemented the canopy idea yet. I'm just bring up the main issue that the FIA may have with it.

DBT85

Yes these are all valid points but clearly there is a reason they haven't implemented the canopy idea yet. I'm just bring up the main issue that the FIA may have with it.

The FIA looked at it as you cans ee in those test videos, then talked to the teams and they pissed and whinged about it making the cars look ugly and not being in the spirit of F1 so the FIA dropped it.

I don't think the front roll hoop is viable as its going to obscure the driver a lot and only really protect head on's, not side on's.

Mastah

As for canopies:

Will Buxton @willbuxton · 1h 1 hour ago

Biggest issue for canopies, as I understand it, is that a screen would have to be so thick as to create highly impaired vision.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm not convinced that a canopy wouldn't introduce several new safety concerns.

Especially when we're talking about the rain - how do you prevent the thing from steaming up? I guess they could have wires running through it, but wouldn't that in turn have an impact on its structural integrity? Also, when it gets dirty (say you drive behind someone with an engine blowout and oil gets on it), there's no simple ripping off of the visor like on a helmet. You'd have to go to the pits to have it cleaned, and even then there's smears that would impair vision (especially in direct sunshine).

Then there's the whole thing of getting out of the cockpit. How long does it take, does it take longer than currently, and can you guarantee that an impact wouldn't move the thing in a way that makes it harder to remove.

A lot of research has to go into this before it could possibly be considered, imo.

If they want to make F1 safe they should just rig the cars up and have the drivers drive them from the pitlane.

Hammy close to signing a new 3 year deal at Mercedes. Alonso must be praying for that 3rd car...

Spanish sites report McLaren / Honda want a two year deal, Alonso only one, so it looks like the Mercedes move will force his hand or will he remain at Ferrari to partner Vettel / leave F1 and do his cycling thing?

The best silly season yet!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they want to make F1 safe they should just rig the cars up and have the drivers drive them from the pitlane.

Hammy close to signing a new 3 year deal at Mercedes. Alonso must be praying for that 3rd car...

Spanish sites report McLaren / Honda want a two year deal, Alonso only one, so it looks like the Mercedes move will force his hand or will he remain at Ferrari to partner Vettel / leave F1 and do his cycling thing?

The best silly season yet!

why would alonso only want one season? New engine supplier might take a while to get the team competitive - he shouldn't be moving to McLaren expecting a championship contending car immediately.

I think a 2 year contract with suitable get out clause after 1 season would be reasonable

Hammer24

Banned
Urgh, just enforce a strict 60 km/h speed limit in sections under double yellows.

Over 60km/h? 10 second stop and go penalty.

That´d be easiest to implement, as the yellow sectors are always clearly defined and this would be easiest to control and enforce.
I´m not a fan of this cockpit "solutions". Those would, IMO, just open a new can of worms. These things are not supposed to break? yeah, neither was BIA roll bar.

That´d be easiest to implement, as the yellow sectors are always clearly defined and this would be easiest to control and enforce.
I´m not a fan of this cockpit "solutions". Those would, IMO, just open a new can of worms. These things are not supposed to break? yeah, neither was BIA roll bar.

Yeah it's a pretty pragmatical solution to a problem that shouldn't of existed in the first place. If there's a pit lane speed limit because there are people walking around I don't understand why that logic doesn't apply to marshals on track.

While Bianchi's accident is terrifying to watch, it's even more terrifying when you see a helpless marshal a couple of meters close by.

I hope the FIA publishes its findings and we find out what speed Bianchi was driving under double yellows.

60 will feel like standing still.

150 will probably suffice, behind the safety car they'll drive a similar speed....

150 under wet conditions and with marshals on track is too much IMO. It shouldn't be up to the driver/team to decide what's acceptable when there's a third party involved.

Drivers shouldn't be pushing the limits with marshals nearby. I know this sounds a bit inconsiderate of Bianchi but it was a miracle two people didn't die on Sunday.

I agree the FIA should introduce the Le Mans slow zones with harsh penalties. Maybe then drivers and teams will learn not to play with safety.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I liked what I saw at LeMans 24hrs - where an accident would force cars to hit the speed limiter at the affected sector.

Wonder if this could give other cars an unfair advantage if they pass that track section one time less than their rivals. But on the other side, the current rules theoretically have the same impact.

Speed limits could be flexible and mandated by race control based on track conditions.

Wonder if this could give other cars an unfair advantage if they pass that track section one time less than their rivals. But on the other side, the current rules theoretically have the same impact.

Fairness is irrelevant. There's nothing fair about a safety car that takes away a 10 second lead... but it happens all the same.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Is F1Today.net reliable or full of crap?

http://f1today.net/en/news/hamilton-signs-for-mclaren-for-2015

Lewis Hamilton has signed a contract for next season to return to his old team McLaren and spear head their new era with old partners Honda. [...]

Questions and rumours have been flying around the paddock all season about the Mercedes duo and in the latter part, the driver market.

F1Today.net has had sources reveal to them that Hamilton visited the Woking base three weeks ago to sign for the team starting from next season. The source said: "Lewis was in the Woking factory three weeks ago. He arrived by helicopter, had a conversation about two hours with the management and then left with a big smile on his face. He signed here, I can assure you. A seat fitting has not happened yet, but that will take place in the foreseeable future."

DD

Especially when we're talking about the rain - how do you prevent the thing from steaming up? I guess they could have wires running through it, but wouldn't that in turn have an impact on its structural integrity? Also, when it gets dirty (say you drive behind someone with an engine blowout and oil gets on it), there's no simple ripping off of the visor like on a helmet. You'd have to go to the pits to have it cleaned, and even then there's smears that would impair vision (especially in direct sunshine).

Then there's the whole thing of getting out of the cockpit. How long does it take, does it take longer than currently, and can you guarantee that an impact wouldn't move the thing in a way that makes it harder to remove.

A lot of research has to go into this before it could possibly be considered, imo.
These aren't problems for a LMP1 car, really. An in fact, there's a film (pellicule?) that you simply tear off when the car goes to the pits.

hadareud

The Translator
These aren't problems for a LMP1 car, really. An in fact, there's a filme that you simply tear off when the car goes to the pits.

Ok, was wondering about that. That's not an issue then.

But the getting in out part could still be.

Top Bottom