• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

DBT85

I think that just speaks to the very plausible rumor that Alonso is contractually obligated to let Ferrari make their own driver lineup announcement before he's allowed to make his own. McLaren was always the obvious option.

As far as Mercedes, I think that was certainly a possibility, but that's more in the hands of Lewis. If he was losing to his teammate right now, he wouldn't have the team support nor the leverage to ask for the money he's looking for. Remember, Mercedes had been talking pay cut for him, and you know that wasn't going to fly. They'll pay him if he wins however, and that's exactly what he's been doing. Essentially squashing the idea that he might leave, closing the door on a potential open Merc seat.

The whole paycut debate has been entire driven by fans as far as I've seen.

Top teams don't give top drivers pay cuts in any sport.

Aiii

So not worth it
The whole paycut debate has been entire driven by fans as far as I've seen.

Top teams don't give top drivers pay cuts in any sport.

Well duh, they negotiated a contract, with a price in order to get this guy to make them world champion.

They are world champion.

So lets cut the guy's pay and force him out to get this other guy that in the previous 1:1 confrontation they had on equal ground, lost to him.

Yep, makes total sense to me.

Unless you are seriously underperforming and were somewhat overpaid (e.g., Kimi Raikkonen).

It's funny with Kimi. He was certainly underpaid at Lotus and is clearly overpaid at Ferrari (barely doing better than Massa). Maybe he should've gone to McLaren instead.

John_B

This season Hamilton has outclassed Rosberg on race pace, defending and overtaking, delivering wins, and is way ahead on fuel consumption (could be important factor when the other teams catches up).

Mercedes and Hamilton is a winning combination, much like Red Bull and Vettel were previous seasons. It would be surprising if either party decides to end that relationship.

Someone sure likes to talk.

New Ferrari boss vows to take risks

"We've got to kick some ass and we've got to do it quickly," Marchionne explained in an interview with Autocar magazine. "It takes what it takes. We might screw up, but we've got nothing to lose, right? Let's risk something."

Marchionne described Ferrari's Italian Grand Prix showing, which yielded just two points, as the turning point.

"I keep getting reminded that racing is not a science. And then I go to Monza and see that the first six cars are not Ferrari or powered by a Ferrari engine, and my blood pressure just popped," added the 62-year-old.

While Marchionne has bold plans for the road car division, he says F1 success is his "main objective".

"A non-winning Ferrari on the Formula 1 track is not Ferrari," Marchionne went on to comment. I can live with periods of bad luck, but it cannot become a structural element of the brand."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/317746/new-ferrari-boss-vows-to-take-risks/

I wonder if he knows about the wind tunnel.

It's funny with Kimi. He was certainly underpaid at Lotus and is clearly overpaid at Ferrari (barely doing better than Massa). Maybe he should've gone to McLaren instead.

I have a feeling hat starting next race Kimi will perform well

I've ate so much crow this season I don't give a shit anymore

So he's preparing to kick his own ass? Lol.

lol..

secret, super duper cool source of mine who confirmed to me some time back ALonso's departure has told me this.

- Ferrari is lobbying like crazy to lift the engine freeze. It became their obsession, and it's the focus of all the top guys and they're applying pressure on everyone they can
- Mercedes knows it's gonna happen whether they want to or not, but they're buying as much time as possible and delay the inevitable decision to lift the ban so that Renault and Ferrari don't have enough time to develop new engines until at least mid next year which almost guarantees that Mercedes will dominate next year's championship
- Ferrari already have deployed their staff to work on two projects a month before LdM got fired. !) enhancing the current engine under the current rules. 2) working on a completely new engine in assumption that the ban has been lifted. So Ferrari are ready both ways and that's why they needed a major budget increase

In conclusion, Ferrari are banking on getting the engine freeze lifted. Otherwise they're fucked

so next year can actually be, the one for Ferrari

NHale

Ferrari and Renault are also using the argument of Honda having free reign during this year while they are stuck with their design decisions. Some people believe it's just a smoke screen to make Mercedes believe that the Honda engine is actually good and a threat for them too, so that Mercedes agrees to unfreeze the restrictions while others are actually believing what Ron Dennis and Helmut Marko are saying about Honda engine potential for 2015.

After I heard Niki Lauda speak in Russia, I'm convinced Mercedes are not afraid of Honda...

Someone sure likes to talk.

New Ferrari boss vows to take risks

"We've got to kick some ass and we've got to do it quickly," Marchionne explained in an interview with Autocar magazine. "It takes what it takes. We might screw up, but we've got nothing to lose, right? Let's risk something."

Marchionne described Ferrari's Italian Grand Prix showing, which yielded just two points, as the turning point.

"I keep getting reminded that racing is not a science. And then I go to Monza and see that the first six cars are not Ferrari or powered by a Ferrari engine, and my blood pressure just popped," added the 62-year-old.

While Marchionne has bold plans for the road car division, he says F1 success is his "main objective".

"A non-winning Ferrari on the Formula 1 track is not Ferrari," Marchionne went on to comment. I can live with periods of bad luck, but it cannot become a structural element of the brand."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/317746/new-ferrari-boss-vows-to-take-risks/

I wonder if he knows about the wind tunnel.

Hey he sounds exactly like Luca di Montezemelo. Ferrari is back!!!

Just hire Ross Brawn and let him do anything he wants. Don't talk, don't interfere, give him a big budget and 3 years and you will be fine in 2017.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I really don't understand why Alonso is leaving Ferrari. I can only imagine that it has to do with personal animosities with the new leadership.

It's true that Ferrari did not build the best car over the last years, but he was a close contender for the championship twice, and Ferrari is still the most promising option performance-wise out there for him, given that Mercedes and Red Bull are set for 2015.

dubc35

I really don't understand why Alonso is leaving Ferrari. I can only imagine that it has to do with personal animosities with the new leadership.

It's true that Ferrari did not build the best car over the last years, but he was a close contender for the championship twice, and Ferrari is still the most promising option performance-wise out there for him, given that Mercedes and Red Bull are set for 2015.

According to LdM
Di Montezemolo told Italian television: "Fernando is leaving for two reasons.

"One, he wants another environment. Two, because he is an age when he cannot wait to win again."

Wants something new, doesn't have confidence Ferrari can build a car to compete for championships. I agree with you though. I think he may be leaning towards a year off. I don't see McLaren as good fit for winning next year.

DD

Interlagos is changing:

New runoff area on the Senna's S:

B0Ev1KkIUAEqw26.jpg

New wall outside the Laranjinha turn due to changes in the pits:

B0Ex5krIUAAnzea.jpg

New pit entrance:

B0Ezr2-IUAAI06r.jpg

Ark

Don't forget Ferrari still have to produce a chassis better than RBR and Mercedes. The only time in the last five years that Ferrari has had a better car than RBR was Aldo Costa's creation in 2010 - who they sacked and subsequently joined Mercedes.

DBT85

Don't forget Ferrari still have to produce a chassis better than RBR and Mercedes. The only time in the last five years that Ferrari has had a better car than RBR was Aldo Costa's creation in 2010 - who they sacked and subsequently joined Mercedes.

Because he was shit.

;)

DBT85

All the engine talk is again forgetting that 92% of the power unit by weight can be changed for next season! They've all been testing upgrades all year, just didn't need to supply everyone else with parts.

Even if the in season ban doesn't get lifted, the Ferrari and Renault engines will be almost entirely reworked for next season. What will be their excuse if they are still shit?

Krilekk

Banned

Simple, Ferrari has given out the goal to win the championship in three years. That's two years of ground work. Alonso wants to win races, not do the work so someone else can get the title. I think he'll end up at Lotus, knowing he will be at least competitive with the engine. And if Honda ends up being better he'll go there the year after that.

I think he'll end up at Lotus, knowing he will be at least competitive with the engine

What? Lotus couldnt even afford to pay Kimi's salary last year, and theyre having bigger financial issues this year like Caterham. No way they can afford a guy like Alonso.

Also, a lot of key personnel have already jumped ship (Allison for one) so even with a Merc engine, they're not gonna be competitive like the past few years.

Mastah

What? 2010 Ferrari was better than Red Bull on 1, at best 2, tracks. Not really different from 2012 Clifford.

It was definitely the most competitive Ferrari since 2010, but nowhere near Newey's rocketship.

Ark

Yet Lotus is allowed the black & gold livery? Hmm

What? 2010 Ferrari was better than Red Bull on 1, at best 2, tracks. Not really different from 2012 Clifford.

It was definitely the most competitive Ferrari since 2010, but nowhere near Newey's rocketship.

It was definitely the best car post-Silverstone. Don't forget the RBR wasn't great at every track that year. RBR, McLaren, and Ferrari were trading "our car suits this track best" all year long, but Fernando's Ferrari scored the most points.

Nicktendo86

I believe they changed it to more of a cream color after initial complaints. But agreed, no way Macca gets to run that livery with out major modifications.
Williams also ran a Rothmans style livery last season as well remember.

Can't see why McLaren can't have a white and orange livery but make the lines rounded rather than the Marlborough shape.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
All the engine talk is again forgetting that 92% of the power unit by weight can be changed for next season! They've all been testing upgrades all year, just didn't need to supply everyone else with parts.

Even if the in season ban doesn't get lifted, the Ferrari and Renault engines will be almost entirely reworked for next season. What will be their excuse if they are still shit?

For Ferrari? ERS for sure :D

I can see both of them copying Mercedes design. Mercedes will also change some aspects of their engine, but compared to other manufacturers, they have whole more or less troublesome season behind them which means only upgrading of working platform and making it better.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Toto
If you have a development cycle in-season, and you bring a new spec in season for the end of June/end of July then the whole development process, because the most expensive bit is running parts on the dyno, is happening twice a year.

I don't know how they [Ferrari] make that calculation - but we probably need to send them a calculator.

Mattiacci
I think what is unfair is that Toto [Wolff] offered me a calculator, because he says we are not good at calculations.
Honestly, from our point of view, there is not a cost increase

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116382

And looks like Mercedes will veto 2015 unfreeze but they are ready to negotiate for 2016 onwards.
What can teams modify in their engines (.pdf) --> last page

DBT85

The only way that it doesn't cost more with unfrozen regs is if Ferrari have spent this season designing, testing and building new parts for 6 cars every month. That's a lot of work, considering those parts couldn't be used. Kudos to them.

Aiii

So not worth it
Times have changed.

The only thing that changed is the rules, I still see the same teams around today than I did 20 years ago, some might have changed names or changed hands, but all in all we're pretty much seeing the exact same thing as in the 90s, a few privately owned team that partner with manufacturers, a few low-budget teams at the bottom and some factory teams.

I see no proof of any kind of significant change in Formula 1 that are a result of limiting the budget. We used to have Simtek's, Lola's and Minardi's where we now have Marussia's and Caterham's. We had Jordan GP, Sauber and Prost and now we have Sauber, Lotus, Force India and Torro Rosso. I could go on, but you catch my drift.

I'm all for cutting back on costs, but I don't see any real proof that a budget ceiling is needed or has improved or saved the sport.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
We have those mid-tier and lower tier teams on the grid still because of the cost-cutting measures, not in spite of them.

Without the cost-cutting measures Brawn GP could never have arose out of the Honda retreat from F1, and Mercedes would probably not be on the grid, without cost-cutting Force India would be long gone, Sauber and Williams would probably be in trouble and neither Marussia or Caterham would be on the grid.

The only reason smaller teams managed before the cost cutting was a rich person would buy up a team, rebrand it, run it for 1-2 years and then get the holy hell out of dodge selling it on quickly because the losses/costs we're so immense, this could not continue.

The FIA did not push cost cutting onto the teams, the teams collectively pushed it on the FIA, not unanimously but close enough, the sport was under severe threat and the FIA recognised this.

DBT85

Change of tyres for Interlagos
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116387

Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli will bring softer tyres to November's Brazilian Grand Prix, following criticism from drivers.

Pirelli originally intended to take medium and hard compounds to this year's Interlagos F1 race, prompting Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso to declare the selection "surprising" and Williams racer Felipe Massa to brand the decision "dangerous".

Following a meeting of F1's tyre working group, Pirelli has obtained unanimous agreement from teams to change its Brazil allocation to medium and soft.

Pirelli said the recent resurfacing of the Interlagos track - a specific issue raised by Massa in his criticism - had prompted the change.

Pirelli's motorsport director Paul Hembery said: "We've always said that we would be open to any changes if they were required.

"After further technical analysis of the impact of the revised circuit surface, together with a risk assessment suggesting a low probability of compound overheating due to extreme track temperatures, we have made this change with the unanimous agreement of all 11 teams."

Zeknurn

Jenson Button is considering a switch to the world endurance championship should he fail to land a competitive Formula 1 seat for next season.
Sources say the McLaren driver has had talks with Porsche, for whom former F1 racer Mark Webber drives.
McLaren are waiting for an answer from their main target, Fernando Alonso, before finalising their driver line-up.
Button is only interested in remaining in F1 if he can secure a competitive car, his manager Richard Goddard said.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29660644

Aiii

So not worth it
Could a german speaker translate the main points of this article? Google translate is messing up the translation a little bit:

http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/ne...-Fernando-Alonso-wird-Honda-Angestellter.html

Honda personally contracted Alonso, Honda wants to be champion within three years, Honda wants to own at least the 25% share of Ron Dennis, will then replace Dennis by someone from Honda, speculate that Gerhard Berger could be that person, even though he denied. Says Prost is not loved by Honda and Senna is dead and Berger is very much loved by the Japanese Honda guys and perfect for the job. Concludes by saying if McLaren isn't at the top of the constructors championship by seasons end Honda is allowed to partner with other teams (unclear if this is about 2015 or by 2017, gonna assume the latter given the 3-year window mentioned earlier).

hadareud

The Translator
- Alonso is to be contracted to Honda rather than McLaren
- 3 year contract worth 105 million Euros
- Honda want to buy RD's shares
- and replace it with one of their own men
- who possibly is Gerhard Berger

edit: or what Aiii said. ffs.

honda at the japanese gp said they have no wish to buy into or pump money into mclaren, but all is not well, boullier said there could be a leadership change at mclaren before the winter.

so this ronbo investment thing must be true, wasn't he supposed to be buying back 47% of shares from the other two share holders? there's been no further news on this so his chinese mates must have left him in limbo, he'll be forced out of all f1 related operations.

alonso will win after playing the long game and ronbo will be on suicide watch.

Top Bottom