• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ron Dennis can't completely be run out of MCL, at the most he can be sidelined in the same way he has managed to sideline Mansour Ojjeh, but holding onto his 25% ownership would still give him some power at MCL. The only way to completely sideline Ron would be to buy both Mansour Ojjeh's AND Mumtalakat Investment Company's shares, leaving him a 25% minority shareholder against a 75% majority, or to convince Ron to sell his stake, I can't see that happening.

Mansour Ojjeh wanted out after the "coup", so it would not surprise me to hear that he wanted to sell his shares to Honda or another 3rd party, Ron is out of favor with the Bahraini majority owners, whom he has relied on previously to maintain control of the team, but there have not been any rumblings about Mumtalakat Investment Company divesting themselves of any shares or significant stake of ownership.

The other consideration is that Honda could now hold favor with MIC in the way Ron used to, effectively given them control, but not ownership. But if that was the case then they would not need RD's shares, Just Mansour Ojjeh's.

The other hiccup in any of these arrangements is that any transfer of the shares must be made after offering the shares back to the company first, which as RD controls could significantly complicate any takeover attempts.

duckroll

Here's the way I see it:

- Honda thinks McLaren is the biggest team at the moment they have a chance of controlling and using the resources to win a championship

- Alonso thinks Honda could really do it and wants to be part of that

- McLaren/Ron Dennis isn't really that interested in having Alonso on after what happened in the past

- Honda wants to get rid of Ron Dennis in the equation

- Alonso is also hoping that happens so he can return to McLaren without any baggage

Mastah

It was definitely the best car post-Silverstone. Don't forget the RBR wasn't great at every track that year. RBR, McLaren, and Ferrari were trading "our car suits this track best" all year long, but Fernando's Ferrari scored the most points.

No, it wasn't.

Germany - evenly matched
Hungary - Red Bull more than 1 second per lap faster than everyone else
Belgium - Red Bull faster
Italy - Ferrari clearly faster
Singapore - Red Bull faster, but Alonso made the difference, as admitted by Horner
Japan - Red Bull clearly faster, 1-2
Korea - Red Bull faster, but Webber threw it away and Vettel had engine failure
Brazil - Red Bull clearly faster, 1-2
Abu Dhabi - Red Bull faster

Both Vettel and Webber made complete mess of that car and almost lost WDC to superior driver in inferior car, but hey, Ferrari was stronger in second half of 2010 just because Alonso scored more points. It's not like he can trash his WDC team mate in identical cars or fight for championships in red dogs, which don't deserve to be in the hunt ;)

omnicorse say mclaren want to keep both drivers for next season, but magnussen in a reserve driver role.

i wish they would just fucking announce the lineup, if mclaren and honda want to win the constructors championship within 3 years, an alonso / button line up is the simple choice.

You just know Honda wants Button because of all their ties, and Ron wants his hand picked recruit Magnussen. Irresistible force meets immovable object for the millions time, and the engine isn't even in the back of the car yet. Great...

Ark

McLaren are stuck in the past and they need someone that isn't Ron at the helm. Honda could do it as long as they don't let the Japanese politics get in the way.

Jenson Button is considering a switch to the world endurance championship should he fail to land a competitive Formula 1 seat for next season.
Sources say the McLaren driver has had talks with Porsche, for whom former F1 racer Mark Webber drives.
McLaren are waiting for an answer from their main target, Fernando Alonso, before finalising their driver line-up.
Button is only interested in remaining in F1 if he can secure a competitive car, his manager Richard Goddard said.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29660644

EJ said exactly this a couple of races ago, so no surprises to see this story resurface on the BBC site.

Personally, I think if Jenson gets a good offer from Porsche, he should just take it if McLaren are going to continue playing silly buggers.

DBT85

McLaren are stuck in the past and they need someone that isn't Ron at the helm. Honda could do it as long as they don't let the Japanese politics get in the way.

Frankly Honda achieved nothing in the time they ran a team despite a huge budget. I think the best thing for mclaren would for Honda to supply an engine and the money/driver and then stay away.

Ron hasn't been back in control long enough to see if he can achieve more than Whitmarsh did. Next seasons chassis will be the first real indicator.

Deadman

If Jenson does have a chance at moving to Porsche he should take it. They have a better shot at winning le mans before he retires than Mclaren do at winning the WDC.

Shaneus

If Jenson does have a chance at moving to Porsche he should take it. They have a better shot at winning le mans before he retires than Mclaren do at winning the WDC.
If that means we get the potential opportunity to see something like this happen again, I'm all for it.
uU5S7LO.jpg

DSN2K

if Hamilton manages to win his second championship is it fair to say he's now on par with Alonso or arguably better ?

if Hamilton manages to win his second championship is it fair to say he's now on par with Alonso or arguably better ?

No, not necessarily. Vettel has more titles but he's absolutely not better than Alonso. I do think Hamilton is Alonso's equal more or less, independent of the number of titles.

hamchan

I think anyone on the grid could have gotten in the Mercedes this year and won the championship tbh. That car is just so much better than any other car, it's ridiculous. It does say he's much better than Rosberg though.

Fox Mulder

he's great, but that merc is pretty OP though. Both him and Nico have been able to storm through the entire field from the back with ease when they've needed to, and who knows how often they've been pushed to 100%.

I think anyone on the grid could have gotten in the Mercedes this year and won the championship tbh. That car is just so much better than any other car, it's ridiculous. It does say he's much better than Rosberg though.

Lewis already proved back in 2009 he can produce with a mediocre car. I say the Alonso of today has a bit more mental fortitude behind the wheel, while Lewis has the edge in raw pace.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lewis is just one win behind Alonso (32) and eight behind Vettel (39)

Mercedes could surpass RBR WCC score from 2011 season (650 points) this season. Even without Abu Dhabi and double points, they would come very near that score with 1-2s on next two races. That would mean 647 points before Abu Dhabi.
WIL collected more points this season than in last six seasons combined And they have nice lead over Ferrari with 28 points. With Felipe in better form, they would be safe on third place...

EJ said exactly this a couple of races ago, so no surprises to see this story resurface on the BBC site.

Personally, I think if Jenson gets a good offer from Porsche, he should just take it if McLaren are going to continue playing silly buggers.

ej said button and the hulk could be off to sports cars next year, but button has said he's not interested in doing sports cars after f1, maybe he's changed his mind or maybe this story is a hurry up tactic by his management to mclaren or another team? sports car racing though... absolute shit, button is better than that and still deserves a top seat in f1.

mobil 1 gave mclaren new fuel at sochi which gave them 3 tenths per lap according to amus. they'll have ferrari in the constructors.

Ark

Lewis is just one win behind Alonso (32) and eight behind Vettel (39)

Mercedes could surpass RBR WCC score from 2011 season (650 points) this season. Even without Abu Dhabi and double points, they would come very near that score with 1-2s on next two races. That would mean 647 points before Abu Dhabi.
WIL collected more points this season than in last six seasons combined And they have nice lead over Ferrari with 28 points. With Felipe in better form, they would be safe on third place...

They'd probably be in a safe third place if Massa hadn't had some of the most rotten luck this year.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29645930

Poland's Robert Kubica is considering having more surgery on his injured hand this winter as he continues to hold out hope of a comeback to Formula 1.

"Once the season is over I will look at everything," he told BBC Sport. "It will be a dream to come back to F1."

But more mobility in his injured hand, and his belief he can still perform to a high level in Formula 1, mean he is keen to explore his options.

"The arm and hand are OK," said Kubica, whose last Formula 1 race was the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. "From a mobility point of view, there have been some improvements. From a limitation point of view, it's pretty much the same.

"So I need to have more surgery - and there are possibilities - but it's a tight season, there are many rallies and they are long events."

Kubica, who drove for BMW Sauber and Renault in F1, said he would "review everything" after Rally GB, which takes place from 14-16 November.

He could return to circuit racing in the German Touring Car Series (DTM), but competing again in Formula 1, in which he won one grand prix and secured 12 podium finishes in 76 starts, remains the ambition.
"Formula 1 would be a dream to come back but we have to stay realistic," he said.

"If I decide to try and come back I will have more surgery this winter and maybe with the help of the doctors, and with some luck, it will be possible."

kharma45

Why? let him hope. Even if he doesn't make it, it's awesome to have something to aim for in that situation.

He has zero chance of making it. It's been five years since he last drove an F1 car. If he had gone on a 5-year sabbatical, 100% healthy, his chance of coming back would be very slim. It's too long to be out of the sport. Very few guys have successfully come back after such a period and still been competitive. Unless you are a world champion bringing money and exposure, nobody would take such a risk, no top team anyway.

He was a very talented driver and it's a shame what happened but his chance is gone.

Hasney

He has zero chance of making it. It's been five years since he last drove an F1 car. If he had gone on a 5-year sabbatical, 100% healthy, his chance of coming back would be very slim. It's too long to be out of the sport. Very few guys have successfully come back after such a period and still been competitive. Unless you are a world champion bringing money and exposure, nobody would take such a risk, no top team anyway.

He was a very talented driver and it's a shame what happened but his chance is gone.

I know all that, but why lose hope, especially when you're about to start grueling rehab again. He should still hope during that and fuck it, even if he gets a reserve/test drive, that's a helluva achievement.

Shaneus

No, not necessarily. Vettel has more titles but he's absolutely not better than Alonso. I do think Hamilton is Alonso's equal more or less, independent of the number of titles.
Best two drivers on the grid, IMO. Would love to see them in equal cars, even if they're not the best in the field.

Ark

Turns out Stoffel Vandoorne plays iRacing. If/when he gets into F1 it'd be cool having an F1 driver that does racing sims too.

Best two drivers on the grid, IMO. Would love to see them in equal cars, even if they're not the best in the field.

Lewis' rookie year in 2007 they were team mates.

Poles: LH 5, FA 2
Wins: LH 4, FA 4
Podiums: LH 11, FA 11

Even Stephen although it was Lewis' rookie year vs 2x WDC.

Fisico

If the current point system was in place in 2007 it would have been

KR 272

ramparter

Banned

But after the Stepneygate and some "happenings" between the two, Alonso didn't enjoy the best support from his team. In the last races it was like McLaren would do anything to prevent Nando from grabbing the title.

But after the Stepneygate and some "happenings" between the two, Alonso didn't enjoy the best support from his team. In the last races it was like McLaren would do anything to prevent Nando from grabbing the title.

What? Just because Ron said "We are racing Fernando" doesn't mean they were actually deliberately hampering his title run...

He already achieved the most he could ever achieve. He held the best Driver IN THE WHOLE WORLD behind his back and negated him a WCC with Ferrari.
There is factually nothing greater than that.

No. That was Petrov, his teammate.

Top Bottom