• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Nicktendo86

so these are the leadership changes?

omnicorse says boullier and neale will be given more power at mclaren, goss and micheals on their way out, a major car upgrade coming, a new front wing (2015?) for abu dhabi, mp4-30 design will be heavily influenced by the redbull - dat prodromou

the honda engine is a beast

now they just need to confirm alonso and button for 2015,16 and put magnussen at force india in place of perez

Dear god please stop you are going to make me squeal with delight!

Lorenzo De Luca ‏@LorenzoDL83
Rumors from Japan suggest that there is not a substantial difference (at the test bench) between the #Honda PU and the #Mercedes one

But McLaren spec < Mercedes / Williams spec (due to lubricants and software)

Wat? He only has himself to blame.

For losing 2010 and 2007. I agree. The rest.. well, he doesn't have to win every year now right? lol .. He got two other chances that he has no one to blame but himself unfortunately

Alonso thrives when he's an underdog, probably because it takes the pressure of delivery out of the equation. I think his best case scenario is to have the second best car on the grid with an occasional few races having the faster one

so these are the leadership changes?

omnicorse says boullier and neale will be given more power at mclaren, goss and micheals on their way out, a major car upgrade coming, a new front wing (2015?) for abu dhabi, mp4-30 design will be heavily influenced by the redbull - dat prodromou

the honda engine is a beast

now they just need to confirm alonso and button for 2015,16 and put magnussen at force india in place of perez

I could swear that I just recently read somewhere that Honda engine is 6 months behind schedule and already pushing with Ferrari and Renault to lift the engine freeze!

I really hope that I'm wrong but Honda has always been shit. What? 1989? that's 25 years ago, in a sport that a year or two could make a huge difference. I have no high hopes whatsoever for Honda to be competitive from the get go. But I truly wish that I'm wrong.

We need more competition. What's happening now is a joke

ramparter

Banned
Wat? He only has himself to blame.

Won't disagree to that, but then again, most of us would have expect Ferrari would put their shit together at some point. 2008 was the last time the had one of the top cars. 2010 were also quite good but not that close to Red Bull.

Nicktendo86

I could swear that I just recently read somewhere that Honda engine is 6 months behind schedule and already pushing with Ferrari and Renault to lift the engine freeze!

I really hope that I'm wrong but Honda has always been shit. What? 1989? that's 25 years ago, in a sport that a year or two could make a huge difference. I have no high hopes whatsoever for Honda to be competitive from the get go. But I truly wish that I'm wrong.

We need more competition. What's happening now is a joke

There was a rumour that there were a month behind but that was in an article full of bullshit. Latest is they are about on par with merc, on the test bed at least.

I fully expect them to be a bit behind the merc come next year but on par at least if not better than Renault and Ferrari.

There was a rumour that there were a month behind but that was in an article full of bullshit. Latest is they are about on par with merc, on the test bed at least.

I fully expect them to be a bit behind the merc come next year but on par at least if not better than Renault and Ferrari.

That's actually awesome news!

Alonso vs Lewis next year! It's gonna be epic

For losing 2010 and 2007. I agree. The rest.. well, he doesn't have to win every year now right? lol .. He got two other chances that he has no one to blame but himself unfortunately

Alonso thrives when he's an underdog, probably because it takes the pressure of delivery out of the equation. I think his best case scenario is to have the second best car on the grid with an occasional few races having the faster one

He has never really been an underdog in his career, though.

Won't disagree to that, but then again, most of us would have expect Ferrari would put their shit together at some point. 2008 was the last time the had one of the top cars. 2010 were also quite good but not that close to Red Bull.

I meant for falling out with both Ferrari and McLaren. He probably lost 3 WDCs because of driving mistakes (2007, 2010) and his attitude/behavior (2007, 2008 and 2010)

Hard to gauge where Honda truly is - it will depend on the jump the current manufacturers will make from 2014 to 2015. Combination of mileage and real-life experience dealing with these PUs compared to Honda is bound to have some benefit as well.

Zeknurn

@pitlanetalk: According to Autosprint, there are alarming bells coming from Maranello that the 2015 Ferrari could be slower than the current one. #F1
@pitlanetalk: The model is 60% complete and was tested in the wind tunnel and simulator. The results were bad. Full article: http://t.co/WPzRodFhOD #F1

At least their windtunnel is working.

Zeppu

Didn't McLaren have an engine which was on par with the Merc engine this year (i.e. an actual Merc engine). They still did terribly.

Didn't McLaren have an engine which was on par with the Merc engine this year (i.e. an actual Merc engine). They still did terribly.

Mclaren are a bit in the dark with their power units since Mercedes isn't giving them significant information (since they will pass that along to Honda).

ramparter

Banned
maybe it is malfunctioning again and readings are wrong

37834819.jpg

Replace code with car and this describes perfectly Ferrari after the Jean Todt / Ross Brawn golden years.

And they are even further behind on their ´15 car than any other top to mid-tier team.

Where did you hear that? Prodromou currently leeching a lot of ideas/concept from RBR into the McLaren was the last I heard on the McLaren front regarding their 2015 car.

At least their windtunnel is working.

Reportedly, the 2015 Ferrari car is about 2 seconds slower than the F14T. But that's from a tweet.

Remember that the noses are changing for 2015 towards the Ferrari/Mercedes design. One of RBR's engineer was quoted saying that the loss of downforce due to change in shape was about 20 points (which is still quite a lot). However, that doesn't explain why the 2015 Ferrari would be slower than the current Ferrari.

Hammer24

Banned
Where did you hear that? Prodromou currently leeching a lot of ideas/concept from RBR into the McLaren was the last I heard on the McLaren front regarding their 2015 car.

Last I heard was what I reported in this thread. ´15 car wont be ready for the first winter tests, they need to go much longer with the hybrid than planned and hoped.

There's been rumors that the 2015 car will miss the 1st test.

Reportedly, the 2015 Ferrari car is about 2 seconds slower than the F14T. But that's from a tweet.
It's actually from an Italian publication (autosprint I believe).

Last I heard was what I reported in this thread. ´15 car wont be ready for the first winter tests, they need to go much longer with the hybrid than planned and hoped.

There's been rumors that the 2015 car will miss the 1st test..

Interesting. Goes completely against the recent rumours coming out of Japan and Woking regarding Honda's progress.

Sorry if I missed, I probably skipped a page or something.

`

same engine, 30% less performance according to petronas, no data to optimise, plus a shit car. if the honda is matching the mercedes after only a few weeks of running on the dyno as a complete unit, then this is good news, but will the team, prodromou and the rest of the new recruits produce the goods?

the lotus people arrived in july, prodromou last month, did mclaren delay some of the work on the 2015 car until peter came on board so he could have a cleanish slate? it would make sense, run the 29h to bed in the honda and give him the maximum amount of time to implement his ideas into the 30 rocketship
mclaren pls

Hammer24

Banned
Interesting. Goes completely against the recent rumours coming out of Japan and Woking regarding Honda's progress.

The recent "rumors" are IMO mere PR doing damage control to what has leaked regarding the disarray MCL is in, and how far Honda is behind.
The engine is at least one month behind sched. Honda isn´t even able to give MCL the specs they need to build the car around the engine, which is one of the reasons the ´15 car is behind as well.

Hammer are you sure that you would know what goes on in rival teams and that McLaren aren't leaking false trails of how badly they are doing to other teams on purpose?

It's what I would do in Ron's place. How sure can you actually be about the information you have? I work for a bank and all the information I hear about rival banks I tend to ignore on principal.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lotus will test new nose in Austin - probably preparation for 2015 season. Which is still quite shrouded in fog - where they will scrap money for it.

Nicktendo86

Sorry if I missed, I probably skipped a page or something.
I would guess the engine is roughly on schedule but the chassis is a bit late. Wouldn't be surprising with Peter Prod only starting last month...

Shamelessly stolen from another form:

Arai said during Suzuka GP few weeks ago;
"1st engine was put on fire last fall, Ver.2 was sometime in April or March this year, and 3rd engine as full PU package with all the components put together started running (on test bench) in mid September."

That doesn't sound drastically behind to me..

DrM

Redmond's Baby
mclaren to confirm their driver lineup at the us gp? gazzetta dello sport say they will make an alonso announcement.

If they wait for Alonso, that would be the time for announcement - Ferrari is rumored to confirm Vettel before Austin and Alonso must wait until Ferrari announcement

CATERHAM F1 TEAM STATEMENT

22 October 2014

On 29 June 2014, Caterham Enterprises Ltd, Caterham (UK) Ltd and Sheikh Mohamed Nasarudin (Seller) and their shareholders Tony Fernandes and Datuk Kamarudin Bin Meranun entered into a Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA) with Engavest SA (Buyer) with regards to 1Malaysia Racing Team Sdn Bhd/Caterham F1 Team.

Since the date of the Agreement, the Seller has refused to comply with its legal obligations to transfer their shares to the Buyer. The Buyer has been left in the invidious position of funding the team without having legal title to the team it had bought. This is in total contradiction to the Seller&#8217;s press release of 3 October 2014 which stated that Mr Fernandes and his Caterham Group had no longer any connection with the Caterham F1 Team.

The administrators of Caterham Sports Limited have been appointed on behalf of Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad (Exim), a creditor of Mr Fernandes and the Caterham Group. The Buyer has no connection with Exim. Caterham Sports Ltd was a supplier company to the Caterham F1 Team. Very regrettably, the administrators' appointment has had devastating effects on the F1 Team's activities. Since their appointment, the administrators have released various press statements which have been severely detrimental to the management of the Caterham F1 team.

After three months of operating the Caterham F1 Team in good faith, the Buyer is now forced to explore all its options including the withdrawal of its management team. Lawyers have been instructed by the Buyer to bring all necessary claims against all parties, including Mr Fernandes who, as an owner, will run the F1 operation.

seems caterham are totally boned and won't finish the season?

Nicktendo86

Jesus at those ferarri rumours. Two seconds slower than the f14t? How is that even possible?

Fred is leaving at the right time. I bet he got an early peek at the numbers and said 'fuck that'.

Jesus at those ferarri rumours. Two seconds slower than the f14t? How is that even possible?

Fred is leaving at the right time. I bet he got an early peek at the numbers and said 'fuck that'.

A mix of things, I guess. Mind you, this is a very preliminary figure, if anything. Car may be in very good shape in 5 months when the season starts.

As I said in an earlier post, the compulsory re-design of the nose WILL affect most teams, Mercedes and Ferrari the least because their current designs are the closest to the final 2015 spec.

I'm not sure what the point of that picture is. This Mercedes is Nico's first competitive (or rather dominant) car and it's also the first time he's in a championship fight.

Top Bottom