• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Hasney

Alonso will make him look like he's driving a GP2 car.

I'll wait until I see it. The amount of times I heard that when he went to McLaren with Hamilton was hilarious.

I'm not doubting that Alonso will beat him, but I reckon it'll be closer than most thing.... Again.

TCRS

Banned
It's been exactly eight years since the last time Alonso won the championship.
8 fucking years! :S
aBu810Z.gif

iblhsovvkivpeac0r80.gif

2012 still fucking hurts. it has left a black mark on my heart. such an effort and then nothing...

lol at the new rumours. absolutely pathetic.

dubc35

http://abload.de/img/iblhsovvkivpeac0r80.gif[/MG]

2012 still fucking hurts. it has left a black mark on my heart. such an effort and then nothing...

lol at the new rumours. absolutely pathetic.[/QUOTE]

2012 Brazilian GP was amazing! I wish ALO would have won it but the GP was great with VET almost crashing out at the beginning.

Ark

2012 Brazilian GP was amazing! I wish ALO would have won it but the GP was great with VET almost crashing out at the beginning.

Nah it was depressing. Hulk made a fool of himself and Vettel won the championship despite facing the wrong direction in turn 4 on lap 1.

Hasney

How did Hulk make a fool of himself? By putting a car on pole that was quite obviously only setup for the wet and everyone knew exactly what would happen before the race start, but got a Williams on pole anyway?

Loved that race so much, even if the hope with Vettel spinning out was short lived.

Business

Kimi missing him by a hair on the brakes, Vettel turning in and crashing, spins with two thirds of the field behind him, does actually get hit, yet emerges unscratched. I still didn't get over that crash, you can't possibly be more lucky.

Aiii

So not worth it
How anyone can argue Vettel hasn't proven himself after winning four championships is beyond me really. Come on, a great car, sure, but that was hardly the only factor in his success.

Kimi missing him by a hair on the brakes, Vettel turning in and crashing, spins with two thirds of the field behind him, does actually get hit, yet emerges unscratched. I still didn't get over that crash, you can't possibly be more lucky.

Unscratched? There was a big old hole in the side of the car (you could see the inner exhaust structure) masses of floor damage and a little bit of damage to the front wing.

He was still hugely lucky, but it was far from unscratched.

Business

Unscratched? There was a big old hole in the side of the car (you could see the inner exhaust structure) masses of floor damage and a little bit of damage to the front wing.

He was still hugely lucky, but it was far from unscratched.

Well I think it's obvious I never meant to say his car was in perfectly factory like mint condition without any tiny scratch at all, but please understand it as his car didn't sustain any critical damage that significantly stopped him from comfortably finishing the race, like it would have seem the most probable outcome given the nature of the accident.

Business

How anyone can argue Vettel hasn't proven himself after winning four championships is beyond me really. Come on, a great car, sure, but that was hardly the only factor in his success.

He's proven he was clearly faster than Webber. Overall they both had the best car in the grid from 2010 to 2013, sometimes with less margin sometimes with a lot, I think we can all agree on that. Therefore the natural outcome seems to be 4 WDC for Vettel.

The fact that he has achieved these with the best car on the grid and only one team mate, and the fact that a different team mate is beating him this year, makes it look not as good as if he'd achieved the same raw numbers in a couple of different teams and 3 different team mates. That's why.

kiyomi

Because Mark Webber was a very very average driver.

Septimius

Webber and Ricciardo tell me a lot about Vettel.

I guess Rosberg's a better driver than Schumacher, too?

It's a different car, people have different preferences. The guy won 4 WDC. That doesn't happen due to luck or a car. Vettel is of the best. Ricciardo is doing great, but with the sudden change of energy Vettel's having, it's no wonder he'll need some time to readjust, and it seems the car doesn't suit him that great.

Also, please don't try and demote the importance of personal preference in synergy with the nature of the car.

Dead Man

It's a different car, people have different preferences. The guy won 4 WDC. That doesn't happen due to luck or a car. Vettel is of the best. Ricciardo is doing great, but with the sudden change of energy Vettel's having, it's no wonder he'll need some time to readjust, and it seems the car doesn't suit him that great.

Also, please don't try and demote the importance of personal preference in synergy with the nature of the car.

A truly great driver will get the best out of any car.

Shaneus

Danny Ricky finished consistently higher than his teammate in the HRT, didn't he? I don't remember him being that much better than Vergne though, but I'm sure someone has all the stats to post for me ;)

Kyougar

if thats true, than schumacher would be 8 or 9 time champion. But he clearly had struggles with the changes after his 7th Title.
Hamilton would have won 2009, 2010 and 2012(?)
And 2009 tells us a great deal about WCC and bad driving the next year. Button DESTROYED Hamilton (because he had a jet engine, but whatever, hamilton also lost against the redbulls and wasnt even in the points over half the races when he finished.) like Hamilton now destroys Vettel.
So, how can such a great driver go from WCC to fifth? And only win the WCC again (maybe) when he has a car that can go from 20th to 2nd in half a race?

Vettel proved himself in 2010 ind 2012. I dont think Hamilton would have had the nerves to win 2012 if he was in that Position.

We dont really know what is going on with Vettel this year. Maybe he is not motivated after 4 WCC, he struggles with the new Cars or Ricciardo is really just faster than Vettel.
We will get an Understanding in 1 to 3 years, when Vettel had driven for Ferrari. And the red Bull Caroussel allready dumped Ricciardo because every generation of Redbull yung Driver Program is faster then the previous and Kvyat and Verstappen are driving 2017 in the Red Bull *shrug*

It just could be, that Red Bull is no place for a 4 time World Champion. When Vettels departure from RB was announced, many german news sites reported, that this was no surprise, because Vettel didnt felt or received the support he needed. And he wasnt OK with some Staff changes (firings), or even the private live of Horner (duming the wife). I dont know about the Horner thing, but if you are not happy with the current ongoings in your team and you dont have a shot at the WCC.....
A World Champion like Vettel expects more support from a Team when he struggles with a new Design of the car and shouldnt have to be worried about a "Ricciardo is faster than you, please let him past".

Maybe Red Bull really has this cutthroat mentality, where only the team matters and not the driver. So every new, young, promising driver is a thorn in the side of the established driver. Red Bull would not be a desired team for World Champions. They expect all the Support from their team, even from their teammate. Alonso would not be happy with driving for Red Bull, if every new young driver could potentially be his rival for the WCC. Maybe he wouldnt even get a drive in Red Bull because he would want a Number 1 clausel in his contract.

Or Red Bull didnt car about Vettel anymore because they knew he would leave them sooner or later, so they gave Ricciardo more support, because thats their new horse that they are grooming, before a new driver comes along.

Dead Man

if thats true, than schumacher would be 8 or 9 time champion. But he clearly had struggles with the changes after his 7th Title.
Hamilton would have won 2009, 2010 and 2012(?)
And 2009 tells us a great deal about WCC and bad driving the next year. Button DESTROYED Hamilton (because he had a jet engine, but whatever, hamilton also lost against the redbulls and wasnt even in the points over half the races when he finished.) like Hamilton now destroys Vettel.
So, how can such a great driver go from WCC to fifth? And only win the WCC again (maybe) when he has a car that can go from 20th to 2nd in half a race?

Vettel proved himself in 2010 ind 2012. I dont think Hamilton would have had the nerves to win 2012 if he was in that Position.

We dont really know what is going on with Vettel this year. Maybe he is not motivated after 4 WCC, he struggles with the new Cars or Ricciardo is really just faster than Vettel.
We will get an Understanding in 1 to 3 years, when Vettel had driven for Ferrari. And the red Bull Caroussel allready dumped Ricciardo because every generation of Redbull yung Driver Program is faster then the previous and Kvyat and Verstappen are driving 2017 in the Red Bull *shrug*

It just could be, that Red Bull is no place for a 4 time World Champion. When Vettels departure from RB was announced, many german news sites reported, that this was no surprise, because Vettel didnt felt or received the support he needed. And he wasnt OK with some Staff changes (firings), or even the private live of Horner (duming the wife). I dont know about the Horner thing, but if you are not happy with the current ongoings in your team and you dont have a shot at the WCC.....
A World Champion like Vettel expects more support from a Team when he struggles with a new Design of the car and shouldnt have to be worried about a "Ricciardo is faster than you, please let him past".

Maybe Red Bull really has this cutthroat mentality, where only the team matters and not the driver. So every new, young, promising driver is a thorn in the side of the established driver. Red Bull would not be a desired team for World Champions. They expect all the Support from their team, even from their teammate. Alonso would not be happy with driving for Red Bull, if every new young driver could potentially be his rival for the WCC. Maybe he wouldnt even get a drive in Red Bull because he would want a Number 1 clausel in his contract.

Or Red Bull didnt car about Vettel anymore because they knew he would leave them sooner or later, so they gave Ricciardo more support, because thats their new horse that they are grooming, before a new driver comes along.
Get the most out of a car doesn't mean he will win every time, just that he will get the most that the car is capable of. Having Ric at parity would be one thing, but he has been humbled on several occasions. I see a lot of 'maybe RB fucked over Vettel' in your post, but that's about it.

Ark

he ballses it up under pressure...china 07, Austria this year etc

If you paid any attention to Hamilton's career you'd know this was complete fallacy post Abu Dhabi 2011. Had he not been fucked over by McLaren continuously in 2012 he would have had that title in the bag easily.

I'd say someone who overtakes a guy in the last lap to win a WDC is probably not as bad under pressure as it sometimes seems.

A lot of people still seem to have the idea that he can't deal with any pressure. I've no idea why, because he's been on a totally different level since 2012.

not always, im just saying hes not the 100% clear headed driver you make out, even monaco this year "i knew you wouldnt pit me guys' was petty, undermines his whole team and shows that he does let that pressure get to him

THE:MILKMAN

Alonso disagrees:

BBC said:
Does Alonso himself consider the Red Bull driver as a great driver to rank alongside such names?

Alonso Nov '13 said:
"Time will tell us," he says. "There are many years [to go in his career].
"He is 26 years old, so when he will have a car like the others, if he wins, he will have a great recognition and be one of the legends in F1. When one day he has a car like the others and he is fourth, fifth, seventh, these four titles will be bad news for him because people will take these four titles even in a worse manner than they are doing now.
"So there are interesting times for Sebastian coming."

Because Mark Webber was a very very average driver.

Back in 2005, Webber hype was very real.
He and Nick Hiedfeld were thought of as special talent on the cusp of something great. ( like Nico Hulkenberg today)
Martin Brundle was saying live on air that Webber had "Senna-like" ability in qualifying.

You could cherry pick examples like that from almost every top driver on the grid.
Vettel smashing into the back of Button at Spa or sliding off the track in the last lap of the race at Montreal in 2011.
Alonso at Indy 07, Montreal 07, Fuji 07, Hungary 07.

Zeknurn

Well shit. This can't be true can it?
@pitlanetalk: Auto Express reports Audi is set to leave DTM and Le Mans to enter Formula 1 in 2016. Huge news if true. http://t.co/G6whUylVVq #F1

• Will combine DTM and WEC budget alongside a Red Bull sponsorship for F1
  • Will leave WEC to their sisterbrand Porsche
  • Insiders insist Audi and the Volkswagen Group have now been working on a 1.6-litre V6 turbo Formula One engine since early this year.
  • Audi is said to prefer buying an existing Formula One operation, rather than building up an F1 operation from scratch. Either Red Bull Racing or Toro Rosso, are understood to be the prime targets.
  • Sources are insistent that the only reason for hiring Domenicali is for an F1 team as he has no experience in WEC or Touring.

Also
@adamcooperF1: '@Lotus_F1Team expects to confirm @RGrosjean's seat for 2015 "very shortly": http://t.co/MObWc5CKtn #F1

DBT85

Would be nice to see Audi, they could maybe bring a good engine too.

Surely the best thing for them to do at this stage would be buy or buy into someone like Sauber though, rather than trying to start from scratch. They could even merge the names and become Saudi :p

Imagine an Audi v Mercedes title fight. Watch BMW squirm to get back in lol.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's about time VAG made their entry into the world of F1.

I'd rather see Skoda though, but I'm just a silly Skoda driver that's delusional.

Come on, we've seen over and over again that a completely dominant car massively compensates for any driver shortcomings. Rosberg and Hamilton were not really eye catching in 2013, were they shit? No. Suddenly, now that they have the best car on the grid they're winning consistently. Are Rosberg and Hamilton now just as good as Vettel was during his dominant phase? Not necessarily.

Same for Vettel, the car was 90% responsible for the wins, as long as he was fairly competent on race day he was most likely to win, simple as that. Just as the same can be said for this year's champion, other than the team mate no one got a fair shot at Hamilton or Rosberg thanks to the cars.

You have to look at the quality of a driver independent of the WDC titles, and when you do that Vettel hasn't PROVEN yet that he a fucking fantastic driver on the level of Hamilton or Alonso.

Ok, maybe he didn't like the set up of the car this season, but all that means at best is that the jury is still out on exactly how good he is, not "he is a really talented 4x champ having a off season". We'll find that out next season I suppose.

And before you misconstrue this as me saying that Vettel is shit, that is not what I'm saying, I saw a bit of the Hamilton and Vettel battle in GP3 F3 and I think he did very well.

Mastah

I saw a bit of the Hamilton and Vettel battle in GP3 and I think he did very well.

GP3 was created in 2010 :D

But yeah, Vettel was good in Formula 3 (and that battle with Lewis was indeed very well done), but not anywhere near Hamilton level. LH completely dominated his second season in the series (15 wins out of 20 races), while Vettel lost championship to his team mate di Resta, winning only 4 races out of 20. That's why many people had and still have doubts about true extent of Vettel's talent and current season and his result did nothing other than casting even bigger shadow over his skills.

Juicy Bob

Would be nice to see Audi, they could maybe bring a good engine too.

Surely the best thing for them to do at this stage would be buy or buy into someone like Sauber though, rather than trying to start from scratch. They could even merge the names and become Saudi :p

Imagine an Audi v Mercedes title fight. Watch BMW squirm to get back in lol.
Well, given that they took over Joest Racing and made them their official factory team in endurance racing, that would make sense.

Also, the Radio Le Mans guys will have a hilarious break down if Audi leaves the world of 'real racing' with the WEC for F1...

malyce

How was China '07 his fault? And how was forgetting to reset your brake bias(like he did in Sochi) ballsing up under pressure? Out of his 8 year career, those were the best 2 examples you could come up with?

Top Bottom