• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Ark

To put Hamilton's dominance into perspective, under the old point scoring system, he'd have won the championship today.

Double points or not, the current scoring system is shit and doesn't reward the winner.

Even if Rosberg wins the final two races, it would be a travesty if the guy with 10 vs 6 wins wouldn't win the championship.

edit: we could end up with a situation where it's 11 vs 4 wins and Rosberg still takes the title. Ridiculous.

Personally I'd call 10 wins to 6 as a fair WDC win for Rosberg. But 11 or 12 wins to 4 would be a travesty for the sport, like father like son though.

Ruruja

To put Hamilton's dominance into perspective, under the old point scoring system, he'd have won the championship today.

Double points or not, the current scoring system is shit and doesn't reward the winner.

Even if Rosberg wins the final two races, it would be a travesty if the guy with 10 vs 6 wins wouldn't win the championship.

edit: we could end up with a situation where it's 11 vs 4 wins and Rosberg still takes the title. Ridiculous.

Didn't they introduce the new points system specifically for the winner getting more of a bonus? That doesn't seem to have worked. :p

Holy shit GAF what an epic weekend. I'm so wrecked but had a blast at my first formula 1 race. I got to see the race from skybox at the start line then half way through booked it to turn 12 bleachers to watch some battling then back to the skybox for the finish. My favorite podium too with Hamilton and ricciardo up there.

Glad you enjoyed it, I went to Silverstone 2010 and it was something I'll never forget. Hoping to go to Monza or Spa in the next few years.

Kimi probably wants to forget this season as fast as possible. He just can't get this years Ferrari to work in any way (outside of very few races). Three stops in a race because of tyre degradation when you teammate has only two is kinda sad. I still don't think his speed has gone anywhere as he was so good at Lotus just last year.

John_B

Lewis should go full-Gandhi for the last two races and not even think about winning. Just cruise and not stress himself or the material
This is bad advice. See the finals of the 2008 and 2010 seasons. Hamilton was comfortable cruising in fourth up until the last couple of laps. Alonso started third on the grid and just had to finish fifth.

He should definitely do everything he can to win in Brazil. That way he only needs to finish fifth or better in the final.

Juicy Bob

Hamilton doesn't need to change his mentality at all.

He just needs to approach Interlagos the same way as all the recent races. If he finds himself behind Nico during the race, he can try and pressure him and just make a move if and when the opportunity presents itself.

It's Abu Dhabi where he can afford to drive on the safe side, but he might not even need to do that. As someone who wanted Rosberg to win this season, it's definitely Hamilton who has earned this title fair and square.

Kyougar

Great second half from Vettel. When he did his 4th stop at the end of the Race, the RTL commentators said, that this has to be a greater issue, because at that time, he was over the point of no return in regards of new tire advantage. He would lose 7th Place.
In the end, vettel fought back to the 7th place.

Still no word on his Ferrari contract. First we thought we would get infos in Japan, but maybe that was to early. Then we got word, that the announcement would be made in russia 1 week later, but with the whole Bianchi situation it never surfaced. Now, 3 weeks later, surely it would be announced in the USA? Nope!

And it seems Red Bull totally cut ties with Vettel. They announced they will not be personal Sponsor for him anymore (the Red Bull energy Drink advertisement agreement that has nothing to do with red bull racing) and then there was the Doughnut incident this weekend where Ricciardo did some Doghnuts in the streets for the crowd and vettel had to do it with a big street car -.-

Ark

Everything hinges on the negotiations going on between Ferrari and Alonso. I'm not really sure why it's taking so long for them to mutually end their contract together.

Hasney

I want a Rosberg win and Hamilton DNF in Brazil and I'd be wanting the opposite if the point tallies were reversed. It would take double points out of the equation entirely.

ramparter

Banned
What happened to Rosberg. It seems like he just lost enough pace only for Hamilton to close on him and pass him. I remember him realy in season being the one chasing at races like Bahrain and now he just succumbs every time Lewis attacks.

And yesterday his defence was pathetic, he just tried at the last moment to close the door? He would have a much better chance if he went completely wide and tried to turn on the inside like most drivers did when defending.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
And yesterday his defence was pathetic, he just tried at the last moment to close the door? He would have a much better chance if he went completely wide and tried to turn on the inside like most drivers did when defending.
From Autosport

Following a post-race debrief, Rosberg discovered that he had been left without extra ERS power to defend the position after requesting the boost via a switch change rather than using a button.

"I made a mistake because I used the wrong thing to get more KERS,"
"I thought I was using the right thing, but there was a delay in that one.

"If I did it with a button it would be immediate, but with a switch there is a delay, so I never got the extra KERS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want a Rosberg win and Hamilton DNF in Brazil and I'd be wanting the opposite if the point tallies were reversed. It would take double points out of the equation entirely.

You think having Hamilton DNF two more times during the season than Rosberg would make it a more even fight!?

Personally if I was running the team I'd try and negate any double points - I think no other teams can win the drivers championship anyway.

So eg if Hamilton wins in Brazil and Rosberg DNFs (leaving a 49 point gap), and Hamilton breaks down in Abu Dhabi, I'd pit or retire Rosberg to avoid the potential PR nightmare of 11 wins being beaten by 4/5 wins and double points making all the difference.

I realise you're probably replacing one PR nightmare with another, but fuck it.

Hasney

You think having Hamilton DNF two more times during the season than Rosberg would make it a more even fight!?

Personally if I was running the team I'd try and negate any double points - I think no other teams can win the drivers championship anyway.

So eg if Hamilton wins in Brazil and Rosberg DNFs (leaving a 49 point gap), and Hamilton breaks down in Abu Dhabi, I'd pit or retire Rosberg to avoid the potential PR nightmare of 11 wins being beaten by 4/5 wins and double points making all the difference.

I realise you're probably replacing one PR nightmare with another, but fuck it.

Nah, in that horrible scenario, you have Rosberg take the win. At least the PR nightmare is focused squarely on Bernie/F1 rather than directly at your team. You'd have to at least make it look like an accidental retirement.

So-so race. I fell asleep during the last 5 laps of the BBC highlights, and caught the rest this morning.

Really gutted that we didn't get much of a fight between Hamilton and Rosberg.

Mastah

Hearing all these sarcastic comments from Button on the radio or during interviews and then seeing things like that:

B1gpWUSCEAEJLSX.jpg:orig

Jenson ButtonVerified account ‏@JensonButton

There's a cock in the room!

B1fFLaHCAAAwX7R.jpg:orig

Jenson ButtonVerified account ‏@JensonButton

P12 today but I don't give a duck, good times coming. #JB22 roll on Interlagos

B1fKPyzCMAAoCop.jpg:orig

I think he knows he's out, which is a shame :(

Business

I think after Perez, McLaren can't straight away sack another young driver in his first year.

If they want Alonso then that leaves no room for Button. Even if I can agree he's done a solid job and he deserves a seat more than others, many of these others are young and have 'potential' to add to the equation, and Jenson hasn't that anymore to sell himself.

Ark

I was going to suggest that Button should retire now while he's in a top team like Webber did, but yeah I forgot McLaren have been nowhere the previous two seasons.

Juicy Bob

Does Button deserve to be in Formula 1 next season? Almost unquestionably. But say if he was to lose out on a seat next year - would that really be that great an injustice?

The guy is the most experienced man in the field. Only two other men in the entire history of the sport have started more races than him. He's won more races than the vast majority of drivers ever get to and he won a world championship. If this is to be his final season in F1, no one could argue that he didn't have enough time or opportunity in the sport or that he underachieved.

We've got so many good young guys coming through and with blokes like Ricciardo and Bottas in the mix at the front, it's not like F1 is lacking in top-calibre drivers. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad a thing at all if Button stepped aside to let the next generation have its turn, just like when he was given an opportunity when he was just 20 years old and fresh out of Formula 3.

Sloane

Banned
Maybe it wouldn't be that bad a thing at all if Button stepped aside to let the next generation have its turn, just like when he was given an opportunity when he was just 20 years old and fresh out of Formula 3.
All true, although it would still kind of suck if he had to leave McLaren just before they might become competitive again. That's probably a big if though.

NHale

Hearing all these sarcastic comments from Button on the radio or during interviews and then seeing things like that:

Yeah as soon as I saw him retweeting the Sniff Patrol tweet about a mediocre car, I thought he already knows he's out...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

what kind of comments? Didn't watch the race and now I've heard the results I probably won't bother watching the recording.

I haven't watched an American feed of a race this entire season, but this weekend I used the NBC Sports Live feed and it was unbearable. It was 99% of Will Buxton (I think?) just going on an on and on about how amazing the Austin track and facilities are and how much each F1 driver just looooooooooooves being in the US. The most cringe worthy part was the continuous hype of Kid Rock playing at the venue later that night. Is he an F1 commentator or a paid shill for US tourism? It was awful.

PS- I've been to Austin GP, the track and facilities are nice, but nothing amazing. It has zero soul or character. It is just a big open area. I do give them credit on the sight lines though. You can see so much of the track from a majority of the stands.

Edit: To clarify about the "sould and character" part. The track does a disservice to the Austin area. Going downtown during the F1 weekend was awesome. The streets were just packed and the main drag in Austin was a lot of fun. The track feels entirely detached from Austin though. It could have been anywhere in Texas for all I know. I am sure other tracks around the world are the same way, where they are really pushing the limits of claiming to be in the city, despite being way off in some generic clearing.

dubc35

I haven't watched an American feed of a race this entire season, but this weekend I used the NBC Sports Live feed and it was unbearable.

*snip*

Agreed. I was watching them for the first time this season too. It was pretty terrible, but it was also what I expected, lol.

FuturusX

Yes the tone of the US broadcast is all wrong. The producers literally picked up the same dog format that SPEED (a fox channel) had been running with for years. I don't blame the presenters, insofar as they are doing exactly what they paid to do. They have been presenting F1 like that for years...it's pretty much the only way they know.

Mastah

what kind of comments? Didn't watch the race and now I've heard the results I probably won't bother watching the recording.

During FP2:

19:16 Button is losing his cool on the radio as he's told that one of his messages didn't come through in full. He responds by shouting his feedback a second time regarding how the wind is affecting the car's balance, and signs off with "sort the radio out!".

And in the race when he was told to pit, then to stay out, because Magnussen pitted, and again to pit, it was something like that:

Engineer: Jenson, box this lap.
JB: Are you sure I can come in, anybody else you'd like to let through?

I haven't watched an American feed of a race this entire season, but this weekend I used the NBC Sports Live feed and it was unbearable. It was 99% of Will Buxton (I think?) just going on an on and on about how amazing the Austin track and facilities are and how much each F1 driver just looooooooooooves being in the US. The most cringe worthy part was the continuous hype of Kid Rock playing at the venue later that night. Is he an F1 commentator or a paid shill for US tourism? It was awful.

PS- I've been to Austin GP, the track and facilities are nice, but nothing amazing. It has zero soul or character. It is just a big open area. I do give them credit on the sight lines though. You can see so much of the track from a majority of the stands.

Edit: To clarify about the "sould and character" part. The track does a disservice to the Austin area. Going downtown during the F1 weekend was awesome. The streets were just packed and the main drag in Austin was a lot of fun. The track feels entirely detached from Austin though. It could have been anywhere in Texas for all I know. I am sure other tracks around the world are the same way, where they are really pushing the limits of claiming to be in the city, despite being way off in some generic clearing.

Most likely not Buxton unless it was pre-race. They usually only cut to him for pit lane or team coverage and news.

The reason this particular race was more unbearable was likely because of NBC pushing it since it was on NBC proper and them wanting to build up love/hype over the races.

Most likely not Buxton unless it was pre-race. They usually only cut to him for pit lane or team coverage and news.

The reason this particular race was more unbearable was likely because of NBC pushing it since it was on NBC proper and them wanting to build up love/hype over the races.

It is the younger sounding guy. I recognize the old geezers back when I used to watch F1 on the Speed channel. He sounded like he had an Aussie accent.

If he's Aussie sounding than it was Leigh Diffy. I'm not condoning it, but this is to be expected for any major sporting thing happening on CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox. They're going to pump and push so much sponsored content during the broadcast. Here's a case in point of how much they try to push promo stuff during big sports broadcasts.

If he's Aussie sounding than it was Leigh Diffy. I'm not condoning it, but this is to be expected for any major sporting thing happening on CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox. They're going to pump and push so much sponsored content during the broadcast. Here's a case in point of how much they try to push promo stuff during big sports broadcasts.

I understand pushing the corporate message, it was just a little exhausting in this case. It also really bothers me how fuck-awful NBC's internet offerings are for F1 and EPL, the only two sports I watch. You have to have a TV subscription to even use their online streaming, and then once you use it, it is garbage. Terrible framerate half the time, often the content doesn't load or loads the wrong content. They also don't edit it when it is put up for replay, so you just get a blank screen for several minutes during the commercial breaks. So half my F1 broadcast was just a splash screen. I would fast forward, but each time you do that, it is a dice roll that the stream crashes or it just decided to load Practice 1 replay for no reason. The shit commentating was just the garnish on one big turd sandwich in presentation.

I hate that NBC has the exclusive US rights to my two favorite sports. They act like the Internet is just some passing fad.

I understand pushing the corporate message, it was just a little exhausting in this case. It also really bothers me how fuck-awful NBC's internet offerings are for F1 and EPL, the only two sports I watch. You have to have a TV subscription to even use their online streaming, and then once you use it, it is garbage. Terrible framerate half the time, often the content doesn't load or loads the wrong content. They also don't edit it when it is put up for replay, so you just get a blank screen for several minutes during the commercial breaks. So half my F1 broadcast was just a splash screen. I would fast forward, but each time you do that, it is a dice roll that the stream crashes or it just decided to load Practice 1 replay for no reason. The shit commentating was just the garnish on one big turd sandwich in presentation.

I hate that NBC has the exclusive US rights to my two favorite sports. They act like the Internet is just some passing fad.

I too loathe NBC's handling of coverage here. The only reason I have a DVR (home built Windows Media Center box) is because of Formula 1. We tried to go without it but it took hours for the stream to finally go live and even when it did it was awful. Combined with the fact the winner being plastered everywhere.

Does Button deserve to be in Formula 1 next season? Almost unquestionably. But say if he was to lose out on a seat next year - would that really be that great an injustice?

Yes, McLaren's young driver program is to find a world class driver with blistering speed, Magnussen hasn't shown anything to suggest he's one. After Australia he's been no where, take yesterday's race, out of all the laps he was only faster than Button for 6 laps, and that's with him being in the box seat strategy wise, having clean air and not shagging his tyres by defending for his life. According to McLaren they only managed to get points yesterday because of Button's heroic defensive display holding the pack at bay and out of reach of Mag.

It just makes zero sense if Button is out for him next season. He's simply not fast enough in the races for a WCC assault, he's another Trulli.

And in the race when he was told to pit, then to stay out, because Magnussen pitted, and again to pit, it was something like that:

He had a right to be sarky and pissy, he got screwed over again on strategy, he lost nearly six seconds with them playing silly buggers.

Honda's Arai says they trust McLaren to deliver a good car, the drivers will be special next season, they aim to win / beat Mercedes, and win the championship within two-years.

Alonso & Button for 2015/16, the goods times are coming with Peter P's Honda powered rocketship.

Oh and I see Perez was at it again, crashing into somebody then blaming them - wtf is his problem? I can't fucking stand that guy.

Dilly

Banned
Honda's Arai says they trust McLaren to deliver a good car, the drivers will be special next season, they aim to win / beat Mercedes, and win the championship within two-years.

Alonso & Button for 2015/16, the goods times are coming with Peter P's Honda powered rocketship.

How can you keep flip-flopping like this.

Chris R

Uh, NBC is doing much better than Fox ever did, for both sports. NBC allows you to watch any EPL game with their streaming service, so even if your team isn't Manchester United you get to watch them play. Yes the casting and streaming could be better, but it's at least something they are working on.

As for the framerate, I'm thinking there was something wrong with the camera setup in Austin because I was complaining about it all weekend long.

John_B

It would suck if Magnussen was pushed entirely out of the sport. Bottas and Ricciardo did not exactly look like instant WDC material either.

Button is a quality driver and I think most would love a head-to-head season between him and Alonso. I'm pretty sure Button would fight Alonso for every bit of support in the garage and every position on the track. If McLaren wants to build a championship team over the next few seasons, then perhaps it would be more simple with a clear team leader and an apprentice.

kiyomi

McLaren already know exactly what they've got in Alonso, why not take the risk of Magnussen becoming a great one? Keeping Button around because he's a slow'n'steady hand does nothing for the team long-term and not a whole lot in the short term. Might as well find out what Magnussen can do.

The team isn't run by Whitmarsh any more. I doubt anyone at McLaren in 2014 has a hard-on for Button like he did.

Risgroo

Mag is likely cheaper and to mclaren has more potential than Button.

I'm sure Button will land in a different series.
Yup, I think Boullier said they wanted to secure their lineup for the next five years, Button probably has two more years in him at most.
I just hope he gets to announce his retirement before the end of the season, and get a proper sendoff.

FuturusX

With the stuff that went down between Alonso and McClaren I'm surprised they'd take him back. But I guess the trophy cabinet is very very bare of late.

Marc Gene told formula1blog that the cars are 4 kilograms of fuel off from being able to drive flat out the entire race, but at the 100 kilo limit, over the course of a race (barring any safety car period) every driver has to lift and coast for 100 meters per lap to make it the full
race distance. One can only imagine how pervasive the lift and coasting is on tracks especially demanding on fuel. Would go some way to explaining why Sochi was a snoozefest: you cant race properly if you're doing a fuel economy run.

This isnt F1. FIA is destroying the character of the sport one fucked up regulation at a time.

Paul Charsley has a great op-ed railing against this crap:
I think the current rule with the fuel flow regs has brought us into the lift and coast era, which is something we work diligently with racing school students to get rid of, as it is an instinctive and negative influence on a slower lap time—is this what we want our heroes to be doing?
...... this ability to maximize a cars braking ability is a key part of a great racing driver’s toolbox of tricks and with the need to conserve the fuel for most of the race we are really back to extreme tyre deg type driving.

Of course conservation and efficient driving is and should always be a part of racing but the degree of this has swung way out of proportion. Of course as we have found over these many years of F1, the FIA have a very strange thought process to what F1 should be and what we “the fans” paying the bills want it to be (double points anyone? Anyone?)

I am more than willing to watch a couple of not-so-mega-super-crazy-exciting races to know that each driver is able to push his car and test his skill to the limit through the entire race and not feel like we saw a hyper miler extravaganza unfold. I’m here to see the great drivers be great, that’s why I was glued to the fence outside paddock hill bend at Brands Hatch all those years ago as the likes of Ayrton, Gilles, Nige, James & Niki came through teetering on the edge of adhesion.
And we really do have an incredible group of drivers right now, so lets release the hounds put a few more gallons in the tank and let the games begin! I generally do enjoy the new power unit format as I think it is an exciting and very interesting technical challenge (although engine freeze rules are thwarting forward progression, but that’s a whole other story).

These are F1 cars for crying out loud, lets use this to make the bloody things faster not slower, the pinnacle of racing should be incredibly difficult to control, I want to revel in the mastery of dance of the very special drivers as they go by, how about you? The chance to prove that you can push the boundaries better than the rest is what drives any good racing driver, you start taking this away and they may want to move to other avenues and so might the fans.

Dead Man

Forgot he even existed, it's been a massive relief having that wanker so far away. Apologies to all the Americans who have had to put up with him though, just an uttter tool. Ruined Australian motorsport broadcasting for years until we shipped him off.
Marc Gene told formula1blog that the cars are 4 kilograms of fuel off from being able to drive flat out the entire race, but at the 100 kilo limit, over the course of a race (barring any safety car period) every driver has to lift and coast for 100 meters per lap to make it the full
race distance. One can only imagine how pervasive the lift and coasting is on tracks especially demanding on fuel. Would go some way to explaining why Sochi was a snoozefest: you cant race properly if you're doing a fuel economy run.

This isnt F1. FIA is destroying the character of the sport one fucked up regulation at a time.

Paul Charsley has a great op-ed railing against this crap:
I have said before I am in favour of overall fuel allocations being manipulated to reduce speed, I still am in the sense of having the same fixed amount of fuel for each race in a season and the teams knowing this value and being able to extract the maximum energy from that allotment. I hate the average fuel flow shit though. Absolutely hate it.

Forgot he even existed, it's been a massive relief having that wanker so far away. Apologies to all the Americans who have had to put up with him though, just an uttter tool. Ruined Australian motorsport broadcasting for years until we shipped him off.

I have said before I am in favour of overall fuel allocations being manipulated to reduce speed, I still am in the sense of having the same fixed amount of fuel for each race in a season and the teams knowing this value and being able to extract the maximum energy from that allotment. I hate the average fuel flow shit though. Absolutely hate it.

I would give an arm and a leg to have mid race refueling back. While I like a qualifying format that doesnt involve heated speculation about whether or not the pole sitter is "light" relative to the second or third fastest qualifying time, when there was mid race refueling and lower tyre degradation, we were getting a sprint between pit stops, not a fuel economy stint.

Top Bottom