• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Addnan

Hope I smell like Pastor.

KY22rgKl.jpg

Ninman

Oh and I see Perez was at it again, crashing into somebody then blaming them - wtf is his problem? I can't fucking stand that guy.

In his first interview after the crash (live on Fox Sports for latinamerica) he accepted full responsibility, and apologized to the team. Check your sources.

Full interview.... If you speak spanish http://tinyurl.com/ksw4vrc

Senna, never forget #Perezdefenseforce

...And you should know that by being a racing driver, you are under risks all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver, because we are competing. We are competing to win, and the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory

Lach

Argh...just saw that Brasil won't be on BBC either. Swiss Tv shows the race on a secondary non HD channel because of football. I guess I'll do ORF + BBC Radio comentary again. Worked quite well in Bahrain.

Mastah

I would give an arm and a leg to have mid race refueling back. While I like a qualifying format that doesnt involve heated speculation about whether or not the pole sitter is "light" relative to the second or third fastest qualifying time, when there was mid race refueling and lower tyre degradation, we were getting a sprint between pit stops, not a fuel economy stint.

Getting rid of abomination which is refuelling was the best decision, alongside reintroducing slicks, taken by F1 in the last 20 years. Fun fact: refuelling was in F1 to "spice up the show" and it worked so well, that overtaking numbers plunged massively for the whole period of it.

New entry to the pit lane at Interlagos:

B1irYLdCMAAjBwB.jpg:orig

AcridMeat

Banned
This guy...

XGTGpeE.png
Alonso is so fun.
Getting rid of abomination which is refuelling was the best decision, alongside reintroducing slicks, taken by F1 in the last 20 years. Fun fact: refuelling was in F1 to "spice up the show" and it worked so well, that overtaking numbers plunged massively for the whole period of it.

New entry to the pit lane at Interlagos:

B1irYLdCMAAjBwB.jpg:orig
What took them so long?

I remember our F1 20XX group racing there and I think Kharma? Getting obliterated on the median while fighting down the straight. Fucking incredible.

Draconian

Went to the race this weekend and had a blast! Really love how the cars sounded and the circuit is just a fantastic place with a great crowd. Every team had fans, which was really awesome to see. We sat in turn 19, and got a pretty good view of turn 1, as well as the section of the track we were on. I bought some cool hats and a shirt and chowed down on a half pound hot dog, which was glorious! All in all, it was a blast, and I'd love to go to a race again sometime.

In his first interview after the crash (live on Fox Sports for latinamerica) he accepted full responsibility, and apologized to the team. Check your sources.

Whoa, you mean someone caught Wax Free talking nonsense about Perez? Never thought I'd see the day. Of course, if he ever gets up on the podium again, I'm sure he'll run away from this thread like a little dog with a tail between his legs.

Chris R

Sorry, but I like refueling.

Might change my mind if the fuel rate limits were abolished, allowing the drivers to go full out if they have the fuel.

DBT85

Anyone who thinks that drivers didn't also lift and coast when refuelling was a thing are looking at the sport with rose tinted glasses. We hear more about it now, but it still happened.

Doesn't make sense as a driver to use more fuel if you can save a lap or two and only lose a tiny amount of time at certain parts of the lap.

Mastah

sniffermedia ‏@sniffermedia

I heard yarns in Shanghai that four current F1 drivers heading to FIA WEC in '15! I reckon two of them might just come off. Exciting.

Goodbye Jenson, welcome Jenson :(

B1ejqQNCQAIPnUk.jpg:orig

Dilly

Banned
Going from F1 to WEC is an awesome move. JB would have the chance to be an F1 world champion and Le Mans winner. He should participate in the Indy 500 for fun.

I find it hilarious that BE solution to the financial problems is revisiting current contracts he made with the teams, instead of adjusting the percentage of income the FOM gets from the commercial rights.

AcridMeat

Banned
Found it!
Rambo.gif

Hopefully F1 2015 is good, I'd love to get a GAF league going again.
Ahahahaha it was Speech, confused it since Kharma had the Lotus avatar.

But having hope for 2015...hahahahaha, I mean maybe I guess, but...hahahahha
Hahaha man that league was a lot of fun. My DFGT has been gathering dust for a long long time.
Mine too, sitting in the closet currently. I actually have a sturdy desk now that won't shake when it rumbles, should try it out again one day.

kharma45

Ahahahaha it was Speech, confused it since Kharma had the Lotus avatar.

But having hope for 2015...hahahahaha, I mean maybe I guess, but...hahahahha
Mine too, sitting in the closet currently. I actually have a sturdy desk now that won't shake when it rumbles, should try it out again one day.

I was in the Lotus for the first season we had in F1 2011, probably why you thought it was me. Was in the Sauber after.

I'd love a good F1 game again and us to get a league going once more. 2011 was so much fun whilst 2012 was just a travesty.

Whoa, you mean someone caught Wax Free talking nonsense about Perez? Never thought I'd see the day. Of course, if he ever gets up on the podium again, I'm sure he'll run away from this thread like a little dog with a tail between his legs.

No, on the live BBC feed he blamed Sutil for cutting across him and was surprised that the big shiny red car of Kimi was going around the corner in front of him, at no point of the interview did he admit fault, he passed the buck like he did when he crashed into Massa at Canada.

ramparter

Banned
I like refueling too. Especially when it results in things like Massa's legendary pit stop at Singapore. Lol. :)
Cost him the title :( Was really sad then but in retrospect would be ridiculous if Massa was champion and not Lewis. Back then Ferrari was the fastest but had mediocre drivers (Kimi, Felipe), then got the best driver and had slow car. Finally next year they will have both mediocre car and drivers.

Juicy Bob

I'm still enjoying McLaren and Ferrari languishing in the doldrums. It's refreshing that Mercedes have had the best car this season, but as long as they aren't about to establish a Red Bull or Ferrari style dynasty over the next few years I think it's good for the sport to have someone else at the top.

The BBC are reporting that the co-chairman of CVC is responsible for seeing off the boycott threat on the morning of the race, by essentially cutting Bernie out of the loop.

Donald MacKenzie, co-chairman of F1's largest shareholder, CVC Capital Partners, phoned Lotus boss Gerard Lopez and promised to address their concerns.

MacKenzie said he would do this irrespective of Bernie Ecclestone's position.

Juicy Bob

Especially when 'Ferrari' of 2014 are not the same team they were in 1950, 1960 or even 2004, for that matter.

The name and location remains the same, but the people who make up Ferrari today are completely different.

Hmm... on the subject of Ferrari, this is the first year in a while that I haven't heard them threatening to leave F1. Possibly because they've been crap.

neoanarch

No, on the live BBC feed he blamed Sutil for cutting across him and was surprised that the big shiny red car of Kimi was going around the corner in front of him, at no point of the interview did he admit fault, he passed the buck like he did when he crashed into Massa at Canada.
If the BBC news site is using the same quotes as the live feed. I don't see how you can interpret that as Perez blaming Sutil. But you'll just have to trust a Spanish speaker when they tell you he takes full responsibility in the Fox Sports LA interview. I don't know which came first as I wasn't watching either feed.

I don't think it is. I don't know where I saw it, but I definitely recall thinking he was blaming others for his actions when he said it.

jey_16

Banned
is the race worth watching? i saw the last 10 laps which were good but can't work up the motivation to watch the whole race. Really losing my interest this year which is weird since i still enjoyed the last few seasons despite the Vettel domination.

is the race worth watching? i saw the last 10 laps which were good but can't work up the motivation to watch the whole race. Really losing my interest this year which is weird since i still enjoyed the last few seasons despite the Vettel domination.

As a whole the race was pretty boring. Not Sochi boring, but mostly uneventful. There was some good battles and mid-pack racing going on, but usually nothing more than 2-3 laps before it ended.

I don't think it is. I don't know where I saw it, but I definitely recall thinking he was blaming others for his actions when he said it.

He 100% blamed Sutil in the interview he did with the BBC immediately after retiring, something like:

"Errr I was on my line coming into the corner, Sutil closed the door on me, I don't know what he was doing..."

Distinctly remember it as I was like WWHHHAAAAA???? YOU SMASHED RIGHT INTO HIM YOU TWAT!

operon

Refuelling was brilliant, allowed teams differing strategies, help to recover after a poor qualifying session. Definitely better than this coast and saving fuel thing.

As a whole the race was pretty boring. Not Sochi boring, but mostly uneventful. There was some good battles and mid-pack racing going on, but usually nothing more than 2-3 laps before it ended.

It was an above average race. If Austin this year was boring, then what did you make of races in 2004-2008? Some of the races in this era barely had more than a handful overtakes.

Especially when 'Ferrari' of 2014 are not the same team they were in 1950, 1960 or even 2004, for that matter.

The name and location remains the same, but the people who make up Ferrari today are completely different.

The "historical significance" tag is somewhat of an outlier. The bonus money actually comes from not joining forces with the GPWC (breakaway series) back in the the late aughts. Unlike McLaren and Williams, Ferrari has shown twice now ('82) that they refuse to flip the apple cart on the governing body. OK, they got paid to take that stance, but the whole thing was legit business. It's not like that money is just some friendly gift for being cool, or anything.

Ferrari really are that important to F1 that all the other teams have agreed to this arrangement I believe twice now. I'm sure anytime someone complains, the response is "no food for those who bite the hand that feeds them".

Maybe this goes on forever, maybe not. It'll take a war to get that cash out of Ferrari's hands that for sure.

Top Bottom