• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Chris R

Anyone who thinks that drivers didn't also lift and coast when refuelling was a thing are looking at the sport with rose tinted glasses. We hear more about it now, but it still happened.

Doesn't make sense as a driver to use more fuel if you can save a lap or two and only lose a tiny amount of time at certain parts of the lap.

I didn't say coasting and lifting didn't happen while refueling was a thing.

Just saying I liked the dynamic of drivers on different fuel loads and tire strategy. I also liked the fact that the cars weren't full of an entire race worth of gas.

Anyone who thinks that drivers didn't also lift and coast when refuelling was a thing are looking at the sport with rose tinted glasses. We hear more about it now, but it still happened.

Doesn't make sense as a driver to use more fuel if you can save a lap or two and only lose a tiny amount of time at certain parts of the lap.

There has always been fuel management in F1, but I dont recall hearing race engineers telling their drivers fuel was "critical" at two thirds race distance at any point in the refueling era. We got that at the tail end of the v8 era and now its even more of an issue with even less permissible fuel. Listen to the radio transmissions about fuel from the Russian GP and tell me thats what F1 should be about. A third of the way through the race Torro Rosso was already in intense fuel conservation mode. Its rubbish.

Aiii

So not worth it
Kind of happy that this didn't happen. Nobody needed to see Rubens as a driving chicane five laps behind the rest.

Button is done.

He's tweeted about his debut season and last win. It's over.

McLaren are pure scum.

Blick says Alonso has signed a two-year deal with them.

Button is done.

He's tweeted about his debut season and last win. It's over.

McLaren are pure scum.

Blick says Alonso has signed a two-year deal with them.

Just wondering why are you so negative about f1 and mclaren in particular? If you dont enjoy the sport as it seems then stop watching lol.

Yeah fuck them for signing the guy who is generally regarded as the best driver out there...

I'd have no problem with Alonso and Button, but it seems McLaren have bent over for the blackmailer and given him number one status by keeping on a poor race driver in the second seat.

This move also means zero chance of Honda winning the WCC now with an Alonso/Magnussen pairing, I hope Red Bull switch to Honda in 2016.

Button will drive for Honda in Super Formula :(

Addnan

8qySViY.jpg

itsgreen

I'd have no problem with Alonso and Button, but it seems McLaren have bent over for the blackmailer and given him number one status by keeping on a poor race driver in the second seat.

This move also means zero chance of Honda winning the WCC now with an Alonso/Magnussen pairing, I hope Red Bull switch to Honda in 2016.

Well WCC will never happen.

This is his 15th season. The last time he truly impressed was 2009.

I'd give the cheap talented young guy a chance...

Aiii

So not worth it

I like how nobody has any information on Alonso's talks with McLaren or Honda and only minor rumors on the content of his contract have been reported, but you already know all the deals and have enough information to make bold claims like that.

I mean. Wow.

andshrew

I like how nobody has any information on Alonso's talks with McLaren or Honda and only minor rumors on the content of his contract have been reported, but you already know all the deals and have enough information to make bold claims like that.

I mean. Wow.

Do you really think after 2007 that Alonso would return to McLaren without some sort of number 1 driver agreement?

lol @ people pissed at Macca choosing Alonso over Button.. If Alonso said he didn't want Button, Macca would be stupid to say no to him to keep Button.. They need a top driver and Alonso is the only one available..

Freddy Alonso feeling threatened by Button is quite the compliment, if this hearsay is true. Button impressed in 2010, 2011 and 2012, when Mclaren had a car that was worth a damn.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think blackmailer is reference to what Alonso attempted duriing the Spygate scandal... Not that he's blackmailing McLaren/Ron Dennis now.

Can't decide if this is better or even worse in this context.

Either way, I'm moving on. McLaren-Honda are lucky to have maybe the best driver of the past decade in their team for the next two years. Should be fun for all, including the viewers to see what position they end up competing in 2016, if we consider 2015 a likely gap year.

malyce

I don't get the Button hype train. He's a cool guy out of the car, but I'm talking strictly cockpit performance here, what does Button add to the sport? What exactly do you guys expect from him? There's no way he's winning another championship and out of the crop of current world champions on the grid, he's easily the weakest. He's hit his ceiling and the faux effort he's putting in now to try to keep his seat over Kevin is pathetic. Kevin can only improve from here on out. It's his first year and he has shown that he has the pace. Keeping Button and sacking Kevin just kills the spirits of the younger blood in the feeder series. Out with the old, in with the new. Kimi is next on the list.

I don't get the Button hype train. He's a cool guy out of the car, but I'm talking strictly cockpit performance here, what does Button add to the sport? What exactly do you guys expect from him? There's no way he's winning another championship and out of the crop of current world champions on the grid, he's easily the weakest. He's hit his ceiling and the faux effort he's putting in now to try to keep his seat over Kevin is pathetic. Kevin can only improve from here on out. It's his first year and he has shown that he has the pace. Keeping Button and sacking Kevin just kills the spirits of the younger blood in the feeder series. Out with the old, in with the new. Kimi is next on the list.
Button's a wise old head with good racecraft. What does he have, like double the points of young KMag, even though Kevin is probably faster than him by a few tenths?
Jenson adds a lot more to the sport than the likes of Esteban Gutierrez, Adrian Sutil, Crashtor Maldonado, and other drivers only there for the sponsorship money they bring. Bums, all of them.

malyce

Button's a wise old head with good racecraft. What does he have, like double the points of young KMag, even though Kevin is probably faster than him by a few tenths?
Jenson adds a lot more to the sport than the likes of Sergio Perez, Esteban Gutierrez, Adrian Sutil, Crashtor Maldonado, and other drivers only there for the sponsorship money they bring.

What does this even mean? Race craft can be improved upon. Raw speed/pace not so much. There are fast guys and there are not so fast guys. What was Button's last memorable drive? Last memorable over take? Because I've seen much more action on track from Mag this year compared to Button.

What does this even mean? Race craft can be improved upon. Raw speed/pace not so much. There are fast guys and there are not so fast guys. What was Button's last memorable drive? Last memorable over take? Because I've seen much more action on track from Mag this year compared to Button.

You asked what Button added to the sport, Im telling you. All those young bucks I named probably have more raw pace than Jenson, but theyre damn sure not better racers than him. Button did well enough against Hamilton when Lewis was himself. (2010, 2012.)
I dont understand your argument. Im supposed to be impressed by KMag being more "spectacular" on track while having almost half the points of Jenson? Okay. The kid has promise. But so did Maldonado and such. You never know with these young, hyped up drivers.

malyce

You asked what Button added to the sport, Im telling you. All those young bucks I named probably have more raw pace than Jenson, but theyre damn sure not better racers than him. Button did well enough against Hamilton when Lewis was himself. (2010, 2012.)

When Lewis was himself? What is he now?

Button is known for capitalizing on others mistakes and the one off races where conditions suit his driving style. Every weekend he whines about the car having understeer, and he can't drive around a problem for shit. Let's not sit here and act like Button is some kind of great racer. I mean, look at the drivers you're comparing him to. If Button was along side Nico in this year's Merc, Nico would be looking like a God right now. He wouldn't have to worry about getting passed on track.

When Lewis was himself? What is he now?

Button is known for capitalizing on others mistakes and the one off races where conditions suit his driving style. Every weekend he whines about the car having understeer, and he can't drive around a problem for shit. Let's not sit here and act like Button is some kind of great racer. I mean, look at the drivers you're comparing him to. If Button was along side Nico in this year's Merc, Nico would be looking like a God right now. He wouldn't have to worry about getting passed on track.

Yeah, I dont think so. Think about what you're saying. Rosberg has been scared off the track multiple times by Lewis and has made numerous silly mistakes. (Spa, Sochi)
Jenson would never do what Rosberg did in Sochi and he damn sure wouldnt do what Nico did at Spa. Button is a much better overtaker than Rosberg ever was and hes not scared or intimidated by a faster racer in his mirrors.

edit: "when Lewis was himself"....was referring to the 2011 season, when Lewis had his head up his ass over off track stuff.

Yeah, I dont think so. Think about what you're saying. Rosberg has been scared off the track multiple times by Lewis and has made numerous silly mistakes. (Spa, Sochi)
Jenson would never do what Rosberg did in Sochi and he damn sure wouldnt do what Nico did at Spa. Button is a much better overtaker than Rosberg ever was and hes not scared or intimidated by a faster racer in his mirrors.

edit: "when Lewis was himself"....was referring to the 2011 season, when Lewis had his head up his ass over off track stuff.

wat was up with lewis in 2011?

I'm alright for Button leaving, he's had a long career and it's time to retire, he can't just keep getting seats just because of his experience, right now i think F1 needs to let the younger drivers start making their mark

Lewis had a weird and somewhat awful season back then. He made some weird mistakes and said stuff that's not typical for a top driver. McLaren was also not up to their game, iirc.

The most famous quote would probably be this here http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VBPBrJ74C8I

Rest of the interview for context: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOtHoI8Afx0

He also had a feud with Massa at the time.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7q0We8sHXHk

Ark

Girlfriend broke up with him, he'd just fired his dad as his manager, almost seemed like he was having an identity crisis in retrospect. It was because of 2011 that he managed to put all the pieces together and he's been driving spectacularly from 2012 onwards.

EDIT: Beaten.

I like Magnussen, but Alonso+Button makes more sense to me. I'm not a fan of pairing a superstar #1 with a kid with his own aspirations. The kid often times gets squashed essentially ending his career. Button knows his place. He's not going to rile himself, or anyone else up about being outperformed. Not going to rock the boat. Good with sponsors, good with development, solid raceday performances, Good, but not too good. Cut from the same cloth as Rubens or Massa. The perfect #2.

He was also a highly respected Honda employee for several years as well.

If Mags gets the seat I'll be very happy for him however. I'd never say he couldn't do a good job. He certainly could. It's just that Jenson seems like a slam dunk instead of a question mark.

It's clear that this whole thing has been incredibly political though. Big surprise, right?

malyce

You have to catch someone before you overtake or pressure them, and Button lacks the pace to trouble Rosberg on a Sunday. Would he capitalize on Rosberg's fuck ups? Sure, but Rosberg's fuck ups came form Lewis hunting him down and putting pressure on him. Rosberg would have Button's number every Saturday. Button passing on the outside of Suzuka in the wet isn't happening, running him down at Monza? Nope. Button is not that type of driver. He doesn't take such risks. I fail to see this scenario where Button walks Rosberg on a Sunday unless he fucks up or there's a mechanical failure. The Merc is a monster on the harder compound tires, Button's egg shell driving style won't do him any favors. He doesn't have the pace to trouble Rosberg.

I say good riddance. Button always had a high opinion of himself but never really brought it on the track, well maybe Canada 2011 was a highlight, but even in his championship year he really didn't set himself apart from Rubens.

It makes no sense to have two experienced drivers in the team. Alonso's been hired to lead the team and the development of the car, so why do they need Jenson? Not to mention Kevin will probably play nice with number 2 status than Jenson ever will.

I will miss Jessica though :\

operon

What did Jenson bring to f1 hmmm he managed to just about win a wdc in brawn f1 u doubt think he ever fully fulfilled the potential people first saw in him when he was was Williams, spent too long in shit Honda ' the only reward being brawn and when he gets to mclaren they were crap too.

Chris R

Almost anyone could have won the WDC in the Brawn, just like anyone in the RBR '11 (and/or) '13 entry would have won by a similar margin as Seb did.

Mastah

Button hate is strong. Let's kick out fantastic driver, who is still on top of his game, just because things.

It's telling McLaren was thinking about having Jenson for another season alongside Nando. If Magnussen was such a hot prospect, he would get a nod straight away. But as it turns out, team is still, 17 races into season, concerned about his race management and pace.

Well, it doesn't matter now, Jenson is driving his last 2 races in F1. What a joke he's out, while Kimi and Vettel will be driving for Scuderia Underperforrmi team :/

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Is Crashtor confirmed for 2015?

And another thought - winter break this year will last only for good 13 weeks, before the testing begins

Looking at WCC data, Ferrari gathered only 196 points so far. Their final score for previous seasons:
  • 2014 --> 196 (with 2 races to go)
  • 2013 --> 354
  • 2012 --> 400
  • 2011 --> 375
  • 2010 --> 396

Chris R

Mark Webber.

If Webber didn't have the "Webber Start" each and every race he would have been closer to Seb, even with no Multi 21 in effect.

And Rubens was almost 2nd in 09, would have been with no problem if Brawn had kept their advantage the entire season.

If Webber didn't have the "Webber Start" each and every race he would have been closer to Seb, even with no Multi 21 in effect.

And Rubens was almost 2nd in 09, would have been with no problem if Brawn had kept their advantage the entire season.

Have you got ifs on tap or something?

Top Bottom