• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

DBT85

It occured ot me when I saw that picture that it was taken in part because he is the world champion, but that he really hasn't been treated like one this year. Maybe thats just my perception because he's not been at the sharp end.

Kyougar

It occured ot me when I saw that picture that it was taken in part because he is the world champion, but that he really hasn't been treated like one this year. Maybe thats just my perception because he's not been at the sharp end.

Not only yours. I have this perception since the beginning of the Year. And then there was that awfull mockery last week, where he had to drive an SUV like car and had to turn in a narrow street, while ricciardo could do doughnuts in the F1 car.

Shaneus

image.php
8obocfz.png

Zeknurn

@pitlanetalk: As promised, account will be deleted in case we were wrong about Alonso to McLaren. We were so it's time to go. #F1 #Formula1

10 minutes ago and the account is gone.

I guess Alonso is out of F1.

Jezbollah

Alonso just tweeted that he was in Mexico and learning the circuit. That doesn't sound like someone who thinks he wont be racing there next year.

I wouldn't take that account deletion too seriously.

Several other sources have said Alonso is going to Mclaren, and if he's not going to Mclaren why is Jenson out?

Kyougar

maybe alonso doesnt want to leave ferrari, now that vettel wants to be there and no solution presented itself. Ferrari didnt want to buyout the contract with alonso so they will stay together for now.

Vettel now without a seat next year, goes desperately to McLaren. that would be hilarious ^^

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TCRS

Banned
finally watched the race. what a great race, I love this track! got really crazy towards the end with vergne drifting, and maldonado, vettel etc. that drift overtake was brilliant lol. generally very glad that Lotus seem to have found some performance.

and Alonso that magnificent bastard... how he was racing in that nervous twitchy fiat. brilliant. as was ricciardos performance. his final radio message haha, such a goofy guy.

great race, happy for hamilton.

Ark

maybe alonso doesnt want to leave ferrari, now that vettel wants to be there and no solution presented itself. Ferrari didnt want to buyout the contract with alonso so they will stay together for now.

Vettel now without a seat next year, goes desperately to McLaren. that would be hilarious ^^

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I've been expecting this ever since the Suzuka weekend. Maybe this was a ploy by Alonso to remove Vettel from the sport for winning too much? :p

We're now at a point where the Championship is less interesting than Alonso's silly season.

We'll see. They must have heard something causing them to be sure that Alonso won't end up at McLaren.

There would be absolutely no reason to follow through with that before it was officially announced. It's been deleted for another reason, and I'm afraid I just don't care enough to consider what that may be.

Juicy Bob

Pitlane Talk don't really strike me as a decent source. Just some people trying to play at being journalists by spouting any rumours they hear.

From Bild, Boullier:

"Between Brazil and Abu Dhabi, we want a decision from Fernando. Otherwise we have to think about an alternative scenario."

"We had some good negotiations with him and he signaled to us that he would be a good fit here and that he would be in the mood for the job. At the same time, we want to find a long-term solution, so three years and not just one year deal. There's a lot ahead in the future of the team."

Smells like BS, but it'd be even worse if Alonso stays at Ferrari and Vettel teams up with Mag.

Kyougar

I can see why an Alonso at McLaren is now less likely than before. If McLaren wants a longterm commitment, Alonso wouldnt be giving them that. He WANTS that free Mercedes seat in 2016, so McLaren is only a DriveBy from Alonso. I think Alonso would rather be taking another sabbatical, than to lose the chance on the 2016 Mercedes seat.
It would be more hilarious, if he just trolls Vettel and everyone at Ferrari and just wouldnt leave his seat at Ferrari.

And Karma would strike, when he finally gets that seat at Mercedes in 2016 and at that time, mercedes is not OP anymore and he has another 5 Years with no WCC :D

Ark

But Alonso bets everything on that specific scenario. Hell, there are rumours, that he waits if the seat opens up THIS year.

As said over and over since July, Alonso is either making the biggest mistake of his career or the luckiest. I just really cant see him leaving it all to pot-luck.

What if the team gives him a 5+ second pit stop in Abi Double which causes him to lose the championship?

Even if that were to happen I can't see him leaving. All of my assumptions are based on Rosberg taking the title.

Red Bull don't get anything special though. In fact, if I was them I'd be pissed that Ferrari managed to take more away, despite being annihilated by them.

(That's for 2014 right? Ferrari didn't even get 2nd.)

Aiii

So not worth it
If you become champion, you deserve price money. It's a commercial sport, not a damn charity.

Ferrari getting free money because of their perceived marketing value for the sport is debatable to say the least, but price money for winners? Nope.

Like it or not, Formula 1 without Ferrari would be very different and way less marketable. I think that payment, while high, does have a value.

What if the team gives him a 5+ second pit stop in Abi Double which causes him to lose the championship?

Isn't the main Mercedes guy with the tache an Alonso fan?

The meltdowns will be amazing if Hammy is robbed of the title by a DNF caused by a Mercedes error and double points.

Ark

Isn't the main Mercedes guy with the tache an Alonso fan?

The meltdowns will be amazing if Hammy is robbed of the title by a DNF caused by a Mercedes error and double points.

He's just a member of the board. From what I understand the decision ultimately comes down to Niki and Toto.

Like it or not, Formula 1 without Ferrari would be very different and way less marketable. I think that payment, while high, does have a value.

I have to agree with you. All of the big teams should sacrifice some money, not just Ferrari.

FuturusX

If you are a top team and you want to maximize your potential to win. There's really is only 3 concrete driving options on the table. Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton. Perhaps Danny moving into that elite circle too.

Mercedes already have one of the big three - I just don't see the attraction - Alonso is only going to be tangibly better and not in all areas. Mercedes will try and squeeze Hamilton on money but that's its.

Alonso's options are Mclaren Honda, Mclaren Honda or Mclaren Honda. That's where his career ends. Will have a winning car? Well that remains to be seen.

Vettel ----> Ferrari

Alonso ------> Mclaren

Hamilton -------- Mercedes

Everybody else ---- doesn't matter ( I kid )

TCRS

Banned
they're getting rid of double points next year, right? why not get rid of it this year? if rosberg wins due to the double points it's going to ruin my winter basically. some serious bs.

Hasney

they're getting rid of double points next year, right? why not get rid of it this year? if rosberg wins due to the double points it's going to ruin my winter basically. some serious bs.

Even as someone that would prefer Rosberg to win it, it would be pretty shitty.

Seriously. I'm not a Rosberg hate nor am I a Hamilton fan, but if Lewis Hamilton doesn't win this years title, I'll flip my shit.

On the other hand, if Rosberg does win the title, I should think the intense public and media backlash will give those wanting changes in other areas of the sport a stronger footing. Be it with financing of lower teams or the engineering formula itself. Honestly, Ecclestone and the FIA are so arrogant and out of touch with so many things, maybe they need a situation in which the sport is brought into humiliating disrepute. Because thats when changes happen.

Shaneus

If you are a top team and you want to maximize your potential to win. There's really is only 3 concrete driving options on the table. Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton. Perhaps Danny moving into that elite circle too.
I'm really curious to see how the RB11 is going to pan out without Newey at the helm. It doesn't really seem that aero this year has played as significant a part in this year's constructors as much as others (although it may be the reason RBR are able to stay within pissing distance of Mercedes), so it'll be interesting to see what happens next year.

Do we know who's taking over design at RBR in 2015?

Ark

On the other hand, if Rosberg does win the title, I should think the intense public and media backlash will give those wanting changes in other areas of the sport a stronger footing. Be it with financing of lower teams or the engineering formula itself. Honestly, Ecclestone and the FIA are so arrogant and out of touch with so many things, maybe they need a situation in which the sport is brought into humiliating disrepute. Because thats when changes happen.

As nice as this optimal outcome would be, I really don't want Rosberg to get shit for the rest of his life for lucking into a WDC because of double points. No one deserves that kind of unnecessary asterisk. Unfortunately though that's what I expect will happen.

I'm really curious to see how the RB11 is going to pan out without Newey at the helm. It doesn't really seem that aero this year has played as significant a part in this year's constructors as much as others (although it may be the reason RBR are able to stay within pissing distance of Mercedes), so it'll be interesting to see what happens next year.

Do we know who's taking over design at RBR in 2015?

The Red Bull this year is a thing of beauty. Make no mistake, the only reason Ricciardo hasn't been able to challenge for the title is because of the Renault Power Unit. It speaks absolute volumes that Mercedes have produced a chassis with better aero than Red Bull.

Ark

It would be a shame if Nasr got a seat but Palmer didn't.

With each year, being GP2 champion seems to mean less and less.

malyce

Egpl8P7.png

Max had 3x as many DNFs as his rivals this season. I don't get how some people are still denying that the kid is a monster behind the wheel. If RBR manages to stay competitive for the next 5 years I expect him to be a force to be reckoned with. Even if they don't I don't think he'll have a problem getting a drive from a top team.

Nasr should have replaced Massa at Williams. He needs to get the fuck out of F1 already. Dead weight that's not going anywhere fast. Kimi and Button are next on the list. Though, I could probably live with Kimi for another year to see how Vettel stacks up, but Button needs to go.

DD

Egpl8P7.png

Max had 3x as many DNFs as his rivals this season. I don't get how some people are still denying that the kid is a monster behind the wheel. If RBR manages to stay competitive for the next 5 years I expect him to be a force to be reckoned with. Even if they don't I don't think he'll have a problem getting a drive from a top team.

Nasr should have replaced Massa at Williams. He needs to get the fuck out of F1 already. Dead weight that's not going anywhere fast. Kimi and Button are next on the list. Though, I could probably live with Kimi for another year to see how Vettel stacks up, but Button needs to go.
Williams probably needs an experienced driver to develop the car now that they're regaining their ground. I'm sure they'll look into Nasr with some love when Massa leaves, or when Mercedes take Bottas away.

Interesting news. Feels weird seeing a mid-tier team succumbing to rookie pay drivers.
At least Nasr has some impressive records, like beating the shit out of Magnussen on the British Formula 3, for example.

Top Bottom