• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Why would they sack people if a big Investor (Honda) is going to take the reigns next year? Its not like its the start of the year, surely they could pay those workers till Honda is officially at the factory. And even if they could not afford those people for 3 months (that would be extra bad if McLaren is in that kind of financial troubles) they could ask honda to pay these workers, right? I mean, Honda wouldnt want to lose experienced worker.

They're cleaning house, not penny pinching.

itsgreen

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 2h 2 hours ago
Twist to the @SauberF1Team contract story - both SUT and VDG first learned of the Nasr deal when the press release was sent out... #F1

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 2h 2 hours ago
That would seem to suggest - at the very least - a certain lack of respect on the part of the Sauber team management...

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 17m 17 minutes ago
The more I find out about the Sauber contract situation, the worse it looks for the team. A huge legal mess is on the horizon

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 16m 16 minutes ago
Taking the highest bidders for the two seats and dumping on SUT and GVDG could backfire spectacularly on Monisha Kaltenborn and co

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 14m 14 minutes ago
He's not one of the four with a 2015 race contract but GUT's backers are not happy either. And add Sirotkin to the mix too...

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 12m 12 minutes ago
The Contracts Recognition Board could be key to all this and the FIA just might want to look at the way Sauber does business

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 5m 5 minutes ago
Worth recalling that @GvanderGarde won a legal action against Spyker years ago. His backers are not to be messed with...

So... yeah... Sauber seems to have created quite the mess for itself.

DD

Strong words from Monisha about Sutil's speech: "I don't know why he said that. We've announced our drivers, and it's not of my knowledge that we're going to have more than two cars. We've announced our drivers, and that's the way it's gonna be. I'm well aware of my situation and I know what I'm doing. We announced our drivers and anything else about it will be discussed internally."

PS: they've announced their drivers.

Kyougar

Monisha likes to announce drivers. Maybe thats what gets her out of the bed in the morning. She has to wait 9 to 11 months but when its time to announce drivers, she gets the kick out of it!
She probably even wants to announce drivers every half year. Where does it END?

Ark

B1yW5T-IMAMYvXN.jpg:large

And they've both black.

kiyomi

Monisha likes to announce drivers. Maybe thats what gets her out of the bed in the morning. She has to wait 9 to 11 months but when its time to announce drivers, she gets the kick out of it!
She probably even wants to announce drivers every half year. Where does it END?

they're her babies

Shaneus

nah he should do wec

its basically the modern day f1
Might be speaking too soon, but could Webber have forseen the exodus of older F1 drivers to WEC? The way it's shaping up with the new manufacturers, it could become infinitely more interesting than F1 in the coming years. Just need to add more dates to the calendar.

Addnan

WEC will never compare to F1, it just isn't viewer or TV friendly. I doubt even proper motorsport fans follow a 6 hour race. I know I don't. F1 is mainstream, my mum known F1. She does not know WEC.

DD

Reports are saying that Button and Dennis are not getting along well because the team wants to keep Magnussen instead of him alongside with Alonso just because he's cheaper, and that the only chance of him staying is if McLaren manages to get a third car on the grid. So Jenson is pissed and showed it on his interview.

Igo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1yW5T-IMAMYvXN.jpg:large[img]

[spoiler]And they've both black.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I'm sure he's got this backwards. Sharks are the ones that circle you and fuck you up whenever they please, while panthers stalk and pounce before their prey know wtf just happened.

Someone should probably let him know.

Shaneus

This popped up in my FB feed, something to read I guess:
Mark Webber reveals his fantasy F1 racing team line-up – his choices will surprise you.

After 12 seasons and nine wins in his distinguished Formula One career, and with his experience as the principal with GP3 team MW Arden, Mark Webber knows all about successful racing teams. But what would his own perfect team look like? Here, the old Red Bull hero mulls over the opponents and team-mates who have helped shape his career and comes up with his idea of the ideal F1 team.

My drivers: Fernando Alonso and Mitch Evans

What a blend of experience and awesome talent; a man I’ve raced hard against in F3000 and F1, and another driver of exceptional ability that I co-manage.

Fernando is the most complete single-seater driver in the world. He has amazing versatility and has proved himself over several sets of regulations. Considering how hard he races, he also produces the fewest mistakes by far.

Mitch would absorb all that experience. He’s had an exceptional junior career, is incredibly fast, Alonso-esque in racing situations and more capable than most to go toe-to-toe at the pointy end. Both are a similar size and weight which Adrian (Newey) would require and they’re hungry, determined and fiery. The perfect line-up.

He goes on, mentions Penske as team principal (maybe we could see Webber drive for DJR Team Penske in the Aussie V8s?!?) and obviously Newey as designer.

Pimpwerx

But what does he know?!?
Yeah...he's going to say, "Good riddance." Its called professional courtesy, and they seemed to get along well together. Still doesn't make Button less pedestrian. I've had issue with him since 2001 though, so this is a long running dislike I've had. PEACE.

Lach

There's got to be some reason why that's not quite a brilliant idea as it may seem.

hmm maybe you could save up fuel by using less, let yourself be lapped, and then get awarded a lap by the safety car. Then go full power for the rest of the race. Of course you still have the fuel flow limitation so I don't know if this would actually be a viable strategy (not even taking into account that the safety car timing needs to fit)...

I still think it's a better system than we have now.

DBT85

The only potential downside is that all lapped cars would now end up with a little more fuel than they would otherwise.

But considering when they unlap themselves they don't run at full beans anyway, I doubt it'll be much to worry about.

This way the entire field can get re sorted in like 1 straight, and the SC can pit as soon as the carnage is cleared rather than after 10% of a race.

You can't rely on being lapped, as the cars in front might never get to you, and the fuel you'd save is going to be minimal.

Juicy Bob

I just wonder if you might end up with a situation where a driver gets a lap back thanks to the Safety Car and ends on in the points or on the podium despite having not completed the entire race distance.

That wouldn't seem fair to me.

Risgroo

I just wonder if you might end up with a situation where a driver gets a lap back thanks to the Safety Car and ends on in the points or on the podium despite having not completed the entire race distance.

Eh, no worse than people lucking out with the safety car back in the refueling days. It's so rare to see a competitive car get lapped anyway.

Juicy Bob

Eh, no worse than people lucking out with the safety car back in the refueling days. It's so rare to see a competitive car get lapped anyway.
Of course luck has always been a factor when it comes to Safety Cars, but it's just that with this solution, you could end up with a driver who completes a 70-lap race on the lead lap being scored behind a driver who has physically completed only 69 laps.

Now of course you could argue, 'well they'd have done that extra lap under SC conditions, so it doesn't matter', but this is Formula 1, so I'm going to be anal about the fact that a car could get away with completing a few kilometres less than a driver he finishes ahead of. ;)

DBT85

People who haven't completed the full race distance get points now.

As soon as the leader crosses the line the lap you are on becomes the last lap. So every race where the leader laps anyone from 10th and up, what happens, gets points for not finishing every lap. Lewis wasn't that far from lapping JEV at the last race.

There might be a problem if someone in a top car (Mercedes) has trouble in the pits or something and gets lapped, SC car comes out and they get the lap back. They might get back to a podium position without doing the full distance and have extra fuel and less tyre-wear.

Sometimes the SC comes in without waiting for the backmarkers to catch up as well.

Juicy Bob

People who haven't completed the full race distance get points now.

As soon as the leader crosses the line the lap you are on becomes the last lap. So every race where the leader laps anyone from 10th and up, what happens, gets points for not finishing every lap. Lewis wasn't that far from lapping JEV at the last race.
Yeah, of course. But those drivers are actively scored as a lap down, whereas I'm talking about drivers who are scored as completing the race on the lead lap who haven't done all the race distance.

I appreciate this is a really sad thing for me to be arguing about :p

Dead Man

I still say lapped cars should stay in the queue. The leader loses any gap they have after a SC, giving the chasers more benefits in not having to pass the backmarkers is not for me.

I do realise it is not the prevailing opinion :)

Daily Telegraph's F1 journalist says Marussia employees have been made redundant, team will not be at Abu Dhabi. Chalk up a win for the new cost saving, eco friendly formula. But hey, at least Honda's coming back and Renault stuck around to give its customers the worst engine on the grid.

Daniel Johnson said:
@Marussia_F1Team have ceased trading. Will not be in Abu Dhabi. Full confirmation imminent. Staff made redundant. Sad day for the team.

@Marussia_F1Team had been in talks for two weeks (representatives were in Austin), but no-one came up with the money.

Daily Telegraph's F1 journalist says Marussia employees have been made redundant, team will not be at Abu Dhabi. Chalk up a win for the new cost saving, eco friendly formula. But hey, at least Honda's coming back and Renault stuck around to give its customers the worst engine on the grid.

Confirmed by Sky F1.

Dilly

Banned

Losing Mercedes and Renault is worse than keeping them and Honda and losing Marussia. Marussia would've gone even without the eco friendly formula.

Them only receiving 10 million from a billion dollar revenue is a bigger part of the problem.

Top Bottom