• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Mercedes are acting like dicks, but how do you think Red Bull or Ferrari would behave if it was them with that engine?

Red Bull especially have had years being dominant

Well Mercedes are acting like dicks because first they agree to something and then they backtrack and say no, not because they want to freeze the PUs.

And there was never an aero freeze. Several times Red Bull had some of their stuff banned.

It's nonsense. Don't forget that Renault threatened to quit F1 if it didn't ditch V8 engines.
That's when they were winning and were confident they would have a good PU - so much so that they charge the most for their PUs.
Not so sure they're happy now. Between a V6 PU and winning titles which one would they prefer?

Pimpwerx

V8s and V10s on the grid would be incredibly stupid. Part of the V6 sell job was that it's a progressive move. Well, stay progressive. Going back on the engine change just shows how poorly considered the original decision was.

However, there is a ton of money that's already been invested in this. I know it's funny to say Merc is gumming up the works on this matter, but what legitimate incentive do they have to open the engines to revision? Everyone signed up to the same formula. Merc spent a ton of money doing their research and prep, and came up with a superior solution. I doubt they're the ones who pushed for the engine freeze in the first place. That sounds like another boneheaded Ecclestone/Mosely move made in the name of "cost-cutting." Why should they let their opponents catch up in a sport that's about outpacing the competition?

The fact is this. There shouldn't be engine freezes and other artificial limiters in a formula series like this. This is the pinnacle of motorsports. The cars and drivers need to be pushed to their limits. Freezing different engines means you're locking in an imbalance. What if Renault didn't have Red Bull? Then that engine would never earn points. Who could've thought a freeze was a good idea for competition anyway? Oh yeah, Max and Bernie. I don't know how Merc is getting the blame for a clearly uncompetitive rule created by the sport's promoters. PEACE.

herod

Back in the day turbos and non-turbos would run side by side. I'm good with any engine mixes, it makes things more interesting at the back of the grid as well as the front.

A good line up, but a very expensive one too.

For that reason alone I think we'll see the K Mag.

McLaren aren't brassing, they have their biggest budget ever for 2015, and who would the sponsors want to pimp their brands in the biggest markets? Magnussen is a nobody.

Alonso and Button is the only choice for on track performance and commercial pimpage worldwide.

Ronbo is a fool if A & B aren't signed up for the next two seasons.

dubc35

This is the same that we hear from Mclaren for last four seasons

Well, the 2013 car was radical
ly shitty compared to upgrading the 2012 car instead.

edit, hopefully the livery will change (not holding out for the old Honda/McL white/orange but something, something(!) besides silver/chrome)

This is the same that we hear from Mclaren for last four seasons

yeah, but those "intellectual charlatans" who had a hand in creating the last two radically shit cars are no longer there according to that McLaren insider on Autosport.

Peter P and his team will produce the goods, I have faith.

Alonso has signed with McLaren according to Autosport's sources, announcement before Abu Dhabi

Gazzetta dello Sport says Alonso and Ferrari will make a joint statement.

Ark

EjMQyY0.png

Stolen from Reddit.

But it would be hilarious if we had V8 and V6 engines and people saying "this one sounds amazing but this one sounds like shit". I don't any race promoter is happy with the sound of the V6.

Having some decent sounding, normally aspirated engines on the grid would placate the many pissed off race promoters. And fans would gravitate towards the the class of cars that dont sound like shit.
We also need a tyre manufacturer to compete with Pirelli. Everyone remembers the shame of Indy 2005,but the tyre wars added another meaty layer of complexity and depth to the sport that alot of folks enjoyed.

Honestly, I've no doubt at all that it's the former.

I'm not so sure. One more season like this one and I'm pretty sure Renault is out of the sport.

Having some decent sounding, normally aspirated engines on the grid would placate the many pissed off race promoters. And fans would gravitate towards the the class of cars that dont sound like shit.

It would be an interesting experience, but I think the promoters want ALL cars on V8, not just the back markers.

F1 solution to cost cap is easier than anyone thinks. Just cap the price wherby suppliers can charge for their engines. And let the invisible hand do it's job

Each supplier will work upon their priorities. Win in short term and make money in the longer term (given that they get guarantees that engine specs won't change for a good number of years), or make money from the get go.

Suppliers/big teams will surely object, but that's when the regulators need to enforce their decision for the "good of the sport"

But crying for cost cutting and introducing new rules every few years is hypocritical

hitgirl

My girlfriend made a good point. At the podium interviews it's always the first place Mercedes being super stoked, then the second place being a baby, then the third place going being like HOLY SHIT IM ON THE PODIUM.

Nico just wants to be loved, bless him. :(

Ah yes, I get this from Nico too. He really seems to care what people think of him.

I want nico to win now.....clearly hamilton is faster, but nico seems like a way more genuine guy.

Ive never heard anyone accuse Lewis of being a phony. Ive heard all kinds of attacks on his self control, arrogance, mental discipline, etc. but never a complaint about his sincerity as a person.

hamchan

I want nico to win now.....clearly hamilton is faster, but nico seems like a way more genuine guy.

Wat, Nico seems like the most fake guy on the grid!

That being said, I would love it if Nico came 1st and Danny Ric came 2nd with Hamilton somewhere below them. Mainly because the fallout on the FIA for this whole double points thing will be massive.

Wat, Nico seems like the most fake guy on the grid!

That being said, I would love it if Nico came 1st and Danny Ric came 2nd with Hamilton somewhere below them. Mainly because the fallout on the FIA for this whole double points thing will be massive.

Yup, a part of me wants this as well. Much as I love my man Lewis, if he has to be a sacrificial lamb so the sport can have its crucible moment, so be it.

They haven't been listening to what the fans want for 64 years, why would they start now?
Maybe, maybe not, but the FIA is sensitive to negative PR. Thats why Jean Todt got on Vettel's case when Seb (rightly) said the new engines sounded like shit. I feel as if a load of shit flung in FIA's face from fans and media will unsettle them to the point where they have a rethink about the direction they are taking the sport.
(It also helps that there seems to be an internal revolt happening as well, with mid tier teams)
The last international embarrassment the sport suffered was Indy 2005, but it was relatively easy to blame Michelin for everything and make them a scapegoat.

Mastah

Razgreez

I preferred the V12's because they had more body to their sound. Throatier and dirtier.

Rubbish... Nothing sounded dirtier than the off throttle mapped engine over-run on the V8. Such an awesomely disgusting sound. Standing on the pit straight near the first turn and hearing that whine turn into a monstrous growl without any hearing protection - sure it probably took a few years out of my hearing lifespan but it was worth it

uhhh i REALLY don't see how you could come to that conclusion.

I just see lewis as a wannabee rapper with all his leather and chains and baseball caps and #blessed attitude, like hes trying to be the kanye of f1. In reality im pretty sure he grew up in suburban england and was pretty quiet personality wen he was a bit younger.

Nico i see as a dude who knows he lucked into f1 with his name but is doing a good job to live up to the pressure of hamilton, be a funny guy and not arrogant/ "i i deserve to win this" mentality of lewis.

In monaco, lewis on the radio "i knew you guys wouldnt pit me in" and the way he sulked from his car in hungary sealed the deal for me rooting for nico.

duckroll

I think one of the worst case scenarios would be if Rosberg wins because of double points but also only because a pitstop fuck up costs Hamilton one position. That would be a huge shitstorm.

Ark

I just see lewis as a wannabee rapper with all his leather and chains and baseball caps and #blessed attitude, like hes trying to be the kanye of f1. In reality im pretty sure he grew up in suburban england and was pretty quiet personality wen he was a bit younger.

Nico i see as a dude who knows he lucked into f1 with his name but is doing a good job to live up to the pressure of hamilton, be a funny guy and not arrogant/ "i i deserve to win this" mentality of lewis.

In monaco, lewis on the radio "i knew you guys wouldnt pit me in" and the way he sulked from his car in hungary sealed the deal for me rooting for nico.

This could not be any further from the truth. Rosberg didn't luck onto F1, he won the GP2 title and earned his place in the sport (granted Keke helped, but Nico is here on merit).

John_B

The dude is just a human being. This stuff does not read anything like Kanye West.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/21793873
Lewis Hamilton said:
As I'm sure you know, I've joined Mercedes for this season. From a personal point of view, I feel refreshed and re-invigorated.

It's a different working environment. McLaren are a great team but they have a very specific way they like to go about things.

That's worked for them very well over the years, but it means, for example, that they are very strict about what you can and cannot wear at the track.

Now, I can wear my jeans with my team T-shirt rather than all this corporate gear. Sometimes I felt uncomfortable in that stuff.

People perhaps don't know that when I was a kid I was so heavily influenced by hip-hop. I had the baggiest clothes and wore basketball jerseys, bandanas, baseball caps and a chain. I was real swagged out.

I'm not as young anymore, but, like anyone out there, I just want to express myself.

You know what it's like when you're at school, there are the kids with dark make-up, the geeky kids, the cool kids and so on. I just happened to be in the group I was in.

I remember when I first went to McLaren. I had my big baggy shirt and jeans on and got a few dodgy looks. I thought I had to change to be accepted and fit the way people wanted me to be perceived.

Now, I feel like I am slowly able to come out of my shell a bit and be myself.

I've grown up a lot in recent years and I'm definitely making better decisions. I've made a lot of mistakes, I'm the first to admit that, but I'm beginning to learn how not to make them.

I really recognise I'm a role model for children and I take that seriously, but at the same time I don't want to stop being who I want to be.

Juicy Bob

Good on Lewis.

I've always much, much preferred Mercedes-Lewis to McLaren-Lewis. You can tell he enjoys himself so much more at Mercedes and his decision to move to them has to go down as one of the best driver decisions in history.

This could not be any further from the truth. Rosberg didn't luck onto F1, he won the GP2 title and earned his place in the sport (granted Keke helped, but Nico is here on merit).

Rosberg name defs woulda helped, just like mika being bottases manager, also kanye is equally well spoken, and im talking about lewises attire, and that rap song he did.

I'm confused. What's wrong with liking rap and wearing bling? What does that have to do with a person's character?

All im saying is it seems a bit phony coming from him and how he used to be. Hes not from some slum in chicago hes from Hertfordshire. Plus i think this crap, his entourage, dogs that he obsesses over and girl issues etc are part of the reason he hasnt won a title for ages because he lost oficus on f1.

:lol

Do you want to expand on this?

duckroll

All im saying is it seems a bit phony coming from him and how he used to be. Hes not from some slum in chicago hes from Hertfordshire. Plus i think this crap, his entourage, dogs that he obsesses over and girl issues etc are part of the reason he hasnt won a title for ages because he lost oficus on f1.

I have a hard time understanding what you're trying to say. Are you saying that only people from "some slum in Chicago" would like rap music and wear bling? Are we living in the same world? Lol.

Leonsito

I'm a massive Rosberg fan since his Williams years, and I would love him to win the WDC, but I have to say that it would be unfair to Hamilton, even if he loses it due to an own mistake. This last third of the season he was better, period.

I hope Rosberg ups his game for next season and is able to clinch the title.

You guys should look back at 2011 when this personality came to a head.....he was pretty shite that year in a good car. Or not up to potential.

ajpw

I'm a massive Rosberg fan since his Williams years, and I would love him to win the WDC, but I have to say that it would be unfair to Hamilton, even if he loses it due to an own mistake. This last third of the season he was better, period.

I hope Rosberg ups his game for next season and is able to clinch the title.

I'd say that Hamilton has been better all season

You guys should look back at 2011 when this personality came to a head.....he was pretty shite that year in a good car. Or not up to potential.

Everyone knows he can be volatile like that.

How any of it amounts to him being fake though?

It sounds like you're looking for reasons to root against him. You can just not be a fan. It doesn't have to be for any righteous reason.

Top Bottom