• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

kanuuna

He told him
"I'm jaelous of you, not for the race but for your girlfriend, Nicole !! Where is she ??"
to which Hamilton responded "uhhh, she's at home...".
Awkward.

Nelson going back to Hamilton for the last question instead of Nico ? wtf ?

Mind games.
Follow the money.

But still they scored more points than Ferrari. What was happening at Bottas first stop? Did his seatbelt got loose?

Well yeah but they have billion times better car than Ferrari so it's kinda given. At least in Finnish tv commentator said it was probably loose seatbelt.

John_B

Great spirit from Hamilton. Superior pace but Rosberg had the last sector covered. Hard earned victory.

I hope Hamilton carries the same mindset into the finale.

Massa

Well yeah but they have billion times better car than Ferrari so it's kinda given. At least in Finnish tv commentator said it was probably loose seatbelt.

That's what it was, the Brazilian TV people had access to Williams radio for the whole race and reported that problem very early in the race. I was surprised he didn't have to make an early pit stop.

DBT85

Great spirit from Hamilton. Superior pace but Rosberg had the last sector covered. Hard earned victory.

I think at the finale he'd more likely take home a 2nd place if it wasn't sorted by the last pit stop. Just because you don;t want a silly mistake or reliability to ruin it on a tight track.

Here there is plenty of runoff and he wanted the own Nico again.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
WIL is 44 points ahead of Ferrari, so italian team would need a miracle in Abu Dhabi to overtake them

Having to finish at least 2nd in case Nico wins is a little to close for comfort in my opinion.

This is no where near finished even if Mercedes is this dominant. It only needs small troubles for him to finish 3rd and lose the championship.

btw stop putting on local people who can't speak English worth a damn on the podium. It's awkward as fuck and makes for really bad interviews.
Not having English as a first language doesn't mean you automatically ask dumb questions, though.

I agree however it'd be better if we just had one person every week that can do a good job of it. Will Buxton does a good job in GP2 I think.

dakun

They should go back to press interviews. This is so awkward.

the press interviews are still happening after the podium interviews aren't they?? at least that's how i remember it.

The Podium interviews started in Silverstone but have since shown to be only a source of weirdness and answers with no real substance.

Unless there is a English speaking person interviewing those 5 minutes on the podium don't make for good TV.

Decent recovery by Lewis, shame about the spin. I'm worried that he has overworked the engine this weekend and it will fail for Abu Double. Hopefully he just cruises around in first or second for the whole race. Nice and easy. No drama.

Addnan

Decent recovery by Lewis, shame about the spin. I'm worried that he has overworked the engine this weekend and it will fail for Abu Double. Hopefully he just cruises around in first or second for the whole race. Nice and easy. No drama.

Might not even use that engine, probably saved a less used one for the final weekend.

McLaren to run a B-Spec car in Abu Dhabi FP1, so the Honda hybrid car?

They set a time with the Mercedes engine then obliterate it with Honda power during the young drivers test for dat pr.

Everyone pushed, really. And he had DRS the entire race and used less fuel than Nico. Lewis usually uses higher gears through corners than Nico as well, so less stress on the engine whilst cornering.

They should both be on equal footing, mechanically-speaking.

itsgreen

McLaren to run a B-Spec car in Abu Dhabi FP1, so the Honda hybrid car?

They set a time with the Mercedes engine then obliterate it with Honda power during the young drivers test for dat pr.

No chance, probably second time they run that car...

First will probably be a few km in a shake down next week on some runway...

I expect they'll only do 200km tops, across all days...

Completely new engine, in a 'new' car. Don't expect too much.

olore

Yes, great gusto from Lewis, shame about the spin. Too bad he never where close enough in the last sector to DRS himself past Rosberg.

Shaneus

untitled-1946st6.gif
Holy shit, that camera is fucking great. How come we've never seen it until now?!?

Woke up to the results this morning (race was on at 2am local :/) and a little bit disappointed with Danny's DNF, but 13 points finishes in a row says a lot about the work RBR did to get that RB10 running reliably. So excited for that kid next year, though... future WDC for sure!

Is it worth me downloading/watching the race, GAF? Given I know the result, I'm guessing not but if there was some good racing in there, I'll check it out.

DD

Woke up to the results this morning (race was on at 2am local :/)
AHA! Now you know how I feel when the race is where you live... ;(

and a little bit disappointed with Danny's DNF, but 13 points finishes in a row says a lot about the work RBR did to get that RB10 running reliably. So excited for that kid next year, though... future WDC for sure!
I feel gutted for Danny too. Best character on the grid, that's for sure, and one hell of a driver.

Is it worth me downloading/watching the race, GAF? Given I know the result, I'm guessing not but if there was some good racing in there, I'll check it out.
It was a fun race. Go ahead!

hamchan

Couldn't say up to watch the race but sad to see my man Dan get a DNF. Ah well at least he has third place of the championship locked down this year.

Also apparently I need to watch this awful podium interview.

Pimpwerx

Decent race today. Good win for Nico. He was fast all weekend. He earned the win. Besides, it was Lewis who cracked this time.

Safe result for Lewis, and exactly what I expected. I'm just pleased he had a chance to win, even if he literally threw it off the track. Good pace all day. Do the same or better next race and it's WDC #2.

Also, a good result for Massa. Not as much action as I'd like, but I was also really sleepy and was fighting off a nap the whole race. PEACE.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Normally I'd be worried about Hamilton needing to finish in second or higher to guarantee the championship. But with the dominance of the Mercedes this season that shouldn't be a problem as long as the car holds together. 10 wins Vs 5, he bloody better win :)

Decent race today. Good win for Nico. He was fast all weekend. He earned the win. Besides, it was Lewis who cracked this time.

Safe result for Lewis, and exactly what I expected. I'm just pleased he had a chance to win, even if he literally threw it off the track. Good pace all day. Do the same or better next race and it's WDC #2.

Also, a good result for Massa. Not as much action as I'd like, but I was also really sleepy and was fighting off a nap the whole race. PEACE.

You're being harsh on Lewis. Team advised him to do 2 fast laps before pitting and it was a mistake given his first one was fast enough to (more than likely) give him the lead.

You're being harsh on Lewis. Team advised him to do 2 fast laps before pitting and it was a mistake given his first one was fast enough to (more than likely) give him the lead.

But they didn't ask him to lose it. We hear teams going on radio saying "PUSH LIKE HELL NOW" . He's super professional and he's used to this kind of pressure, so it's no excuse.

Great race from Rosberg, Hammy cracked this time, and now I'm so worried about the WDC. Hamilton has a 50% track record on winning/losing the WDC on the last race. 2007 was missed by one position and 2008 was won by one position!! and they were not that high and he had a dominant car.

I just hope he wins it.

Shaneus

Great race from Rosberg, Hammy cracked this time, and now I'm so worried about the WDC. Hamilton has a 50% track record on winning/losing the WDC on the last race. 2007 was missed by one position and 2008 was won by one position!! and they were not that high and he had a dominant car.

I just hope he wins it.
Yeah, but the dominant car isn't dominant over his nearest competitor.

At this point I'm just stoked Danny locked in third place with such a POS power unit and against Vettel. Never would have expected it.

Still hoping Hamilton wins it, though. And not through a Nico DNF or some other act of stupidity.

Now I'm wondering, if Nico wins the WDC, it obviously came down to double points. But he also beat Lewis fair and square in this race and he's been on his heels in most of the other races.

How much shit should Nico get in case he really wins?

Yeah, but the dominant car isn't dominant over his nearest competitor.

I'm not sure if you're referring to this year or 2007/08, but still he was in the same situation he's at now relative to his nearest competitor. Actually he's in a worse situation given that he needs to be 2nd at least to be safe and not factor in his rival's position.

In 2007/08 on his worst day he could've came 4th after the Ferraris and whomever his teammate was. And still, he managed to lose one championship and barely getting the other while the required position was lower than 4th.

So statistically, when Hamilton was in a comfortable position to win the WDC he failed in one and succeeded in one.

Pimpwerx

Now I'm wondering, if Nico wins the WDC, it obviously came down to double points. But he also beat Lewis fair and square in this race and he's been on his heels in most of the other races.

A ton. He'd still only have won because of double points. He's been beaten handily on Sundays this weekend, even with Lewis' DNFs. PEACE.

Ark

He should have known, especially after his spin(s?) in free practice that the tyres wouldn't hold up.

Same amount as before, because it's painfully clear that Hamilton would have won the race had he not made that mistake. I guess it was more a case of Hamilton losing the race than Rosberg winning it - same thing will apply to Abu Dhabi.

A ton. He'd still only have won because of double points. He's been beaten handily on Sundays this weekend, even with Lewis' DNFs. PEACE.

Yeah it was pretty clear before this race Hamilton has bested Nico nearly all season when it comes to Sundays. Hamilton had won 10 races out of the 17, 3 races he had a DNF none his fault, 2 of the other races he's had a car failure in quali meaning a start from either the back of the grid or from the pitlane, Monaco the race was decided on the Saturday and the other race he made a mistake in Q3, no time set started 9th on the grid.

I like Nico but I'd hate for Hamilton to lose the championship at Abu Dhabi, double points for the last race is just so dumb. As long as there's no issue with the car Lewis should quite comfortably finish in the top 2, I hope.

Juicy Bob

Rosberg can still win the title without the benefit of double points, but it'd need Hamilton to retire and Rosberg to finish either second or first. That way, he'd take the title even if standard points were awarded at the last race.

hamchan

Rosberg can still win the title without the benefit of double points, but it'd need Hamilton to retire and Rosberg to finish either second or first. That way, he'd take the title even if standard points were awarded at the last race.

Which is the only way I see him winning anyways, since that Merc is always going to be 1st or 2nd.

Hasney

Why should Rosberg get any shit if he wins? That should all be aimed at the stupid twats in charge for one of the worst rules in sports history.

Juicy Bob

Which is the only way I see him winning anyways, since that Merc is always going to be 1st or 2nd.
Pretty much. It's just a shame that despite possibly have a 'legitimate' championship win, Rosberg may well be viewed in history as having a tainted title win through no fault of his own.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why should Rosberg get any shit if he wins? That should all be aimed at the stupid twats in charge for one of the worst rules in sports history.

I'd be disappointed if Hamilton loses, but my disappointment would be aimed at the team for the relative lack of reliability in his car. If he'do had the same reliability as Rosberg, he'd have wrapped things up long before now. The fact that you can win 10 races in season and still lose just shows how up and down his season has been.

DBT85

I think that provided Nico would have earned the required points from a normal race then he'll be fine.

If he wins the race and Lewis comes 3rd then it won't look good, not that that is his fault at all.

All I really hope for is that there are no reliability issues, pit issues or other people hitting them.

Aiii

So not worth it

People will complain for a few days and then forget all about it, as always.

Hell, almost nobody complains about Button's WDC win even though it was all "oh, he wasn't really the best, he only had the fastest car at the start of the season" bs going around for a short time. Same goes for Kimi's win in 2007, really.

Guy with the most points at the end becomes the champion, and as people said, Rosberg isn't to blame for the existence of double points in Dubai.

kharma45

Exactly. Why should Nico get shit? It's not like he controls the rules.

Top Bottom