• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Everyone knows he can be volatile like that.

How any of it amounts to him being fake though?

It sounds like you're looking for reasons to root against him. You can just not be a fan. It doesn't have to be for any righteous reason.

I did say more genuine tho, basically nico i can imagine getting on with better. And f1 needs a human aspect.

And f1 needs a human aspect.

Lewis is sub-human now?

nBJdDbO.jpg

I'm confused. What's wrong with liking rap and wearing bling? What does that have to do with a person's character?

Some lack of focus?

I really wonder what role Lauda had/has on him.

In other news:

- Christian Horner and Geri Haliwell are engaged (congrats);
- Alonso is taking his race engineer and Kimi's to Mclaren;
- Briatore trash talking Vettel;
- Mclaren upgrade is not a B-spec car, more several upgrades to test for 2015 (front suspension+aero package). Probably nothing major. No news on Honda PU test.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nobody wins races by being a nice guy, ask Massa or Barrichello, for instance.

Good drivers are arrogant, aren't afraid to tell their team off when they feel dissatisfied with their actions (see, for instance, Button during the Austin race. Alonso as well, and even Kimi) and want to win above all else. Every good driver is a bit of a bastard, and rightfully so, I would say.

Anytime I see the guy during his off-time in interviews he seems a reasonable and likeable guy, so I really don't see what you're seeing there.

Juicy Bob

Some lack of focus?

I really wonder what role Lauda had/has on him.
I think Lauda has probably been the one to go "look, Lewis, you can be yourself within this team but when it comes to race weekends, you need to be 110% focussed on the job if you want to win another title."

duckroll

Nobody wins races by being a nice guy, ask Massa or Barrichello, for instance.

Good drivers are arrogant, aren't afraid to tell their team off when they feel dissatisfied with their actions (see, for instance, Button during the Austin race. Alonso as well, and even Kimi) and want to win above all else. Every good driver is a bit of a bastard, and rightfully so, I would say.

Anytime I see the guy during his off-time in interviews he seems a reasonable and likeable guy, so I really don't see what you're seeing there.

I think Button is probably the nicest world champion we've had in a decade. He's very grounded, doesn't trash talk, seems like a really honest and down to earth. He'll probably never win another world championship again though, and he seems okay with that too.

I think Lauda has probably been the one to go "look, Lewis, you can be yourself within this team but when it comes to race weekends, you need to be 110% focussed on the job if you want to win another title."

Yep that's what I also believe, he has the authority and the no nonsense attitude to do that.

There's been rumors in the past that he's done that to Lewis as well, but it's just rumors.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Button is probably the nicest world champion we've had in a decade. He's very grounded, doesn't trash talk, seems like a really honest and down to earth. He'll probably never win another world championship again though, and he seems okay with that too.

I dunno, Kimi seems pretty cool himself.

Thing is, with both of them really is that as soon as they get in the car that's out the window, ruthless bastards on the track, that's what we need.

I mean, once again taking Massa into account, he's a nice guy, but he's way too nice in the car. There's plenty of incidents where he was happy to keep position or yield a position instead of being a bastard and just putting his car somewhere to thwart a competing driver. It's that kind of stuff where I think every good driver has to be arrogant and think to himself "fuck it, I'm the best driver around." Same goes with stuff like Button checking with his team if they're really sure he can come in this time, after getting passed over by Magnussen, because in his mind, he's the top driver at the team and no matter what position Magnussen is in, he shouldn't take his pitstop ahead of him. That's a good driver's mentality.

Now, maybe you apologise after the race for falling out, but at that time, the team realises they need to not screw you over like that again.

duckroll

If we're talking about on-track stuff entirely, I don't think it's a matter of being "nice" or not. It's a fierce competition, not some feel good charity event. If you're passive about it, or you lack the drive and hunger to want to beat everyone else, you're not a good competitor in this sport. Taking the consideration of opponent's feelings into account is no way to compete at this level. So yeah, I agree. I don't think it's a matter of being a bastard, just being as professional as possible. Drivers at the top level are paid to win, the teams know what to expect. No need to have hurt feelings later, because during the race, you don't fuck around.

I agree Kimi is cool. Ice cream cool. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
F1 solution to cost cap is easier than anyone thinks. Just cap the price wherby suppliers can charge for their engines. And let the invisible hand do it's job

Each supplier will work upon their priorities. Win in short term and make money in the longer term (given that they get guarantees that engine specs won't change for a good number of years), or make money from the get go.

Suppliers/big teams will surely object, but that's when the regulators need to enforce their decision for the "good of the sport"

But crying for cost cutting and introducing new rules every few years is hypocritical

This is a good point. You can't say you are aiming for cost cutting by introducing 'simpler' technology. That just gives the big teams another target to spend all their money on. Without hard caps on costs to supply, you have no meaninful way to control the budgets of the teams.

Caramello

I preferred the V12's because they had more body to their sound. Throatier and dirtier.

I asked my dad because he has actually been to every Australian F1 Grand Prix since 1988 (give or take a year).

He told me that specifically the Ferrari V12's are the best sounding engines he has heard. He also told me that he lost his hearing for a few minutes when one of the Ferrari's missed a gear right in front of him.

For me the V10's are the best sounding engines that I've heard but my first GP was in 1995 so I'd go with my Dad's opinion.

malyce

You guys should look back at 2011 when this personality came to a head.....he was pretty shite that year in a good car. Or not up to potential.

Dude, just say you dislike Lewis and KIM. The shit reasons you give as to why comes off as petty. OMG Lewis is a fake rapper that didn't grow up in the hood. He also likes to wear chains and rapper(flat brim) hats. OMG he's ruining our sport. Shit's tired.

Ark

What year is it? I feel like I'm re-reading posts from the 2011 F1 OT. ConstructMe, it sounds lime your stuck in 2011 and seriously, seriously, lacking an objective view on Hamilton & F1. Hamilton is, really, the only driver on the grid with any personality.

Zeknurn

What year is it? I feel like I'm re-reading posts from the 2011 F1 OT. ConstructMe, it sounds lime your stuck in 2011 and seriously, seriously, lacking an objective view on Hamilton & F1. Hamilton is, really, the only driver on the grid with any personality.

Hohoho.

Cap the cost of the engine to £1m per unit. Mercedes can fuck off if they can't deal with it. Tired of their whining. They need to understand that charging £3m per unit is sending mid table teams towards bankruptcy. If they can't recoup their R&D at £1m per unit then they overspent. Something we all know to be true.

Dilly

Banned

No

kiyomi

Cap the cost of the engine to £1m per unit. Mercedes can fuck off if they can't deal with it. Tired of their whining. They need to understand that charging £3m per unit is sending mid table teams towards bankruptcy. If they can't recoup their R&D at £1m per unit then they overspent. Something we all know to be true.

It's not Mercedes' fault that nobody thought to introduce proper spending regulations before the engines that everyone knew were going to be expensive and a significant factor in success. They have a big budget, nobody told them to not spend it, so they spent it.

Massa

It's not Mercedes' fault that nobody thought to introduce proper spending regulations before the engines that everyone knew were going to be expensive and a significant factor in success. They have a big budget, nobody told them to not spend it, so they spent it.

They knew exactly what they were doing. This is not about budget. Marussia is not out of F1 because engines were too expensive, they're out of it because they didn't get any of the money that F1 makes. This public farce between them is about nothing more than Mercedes being significantly better than the others.

I'm much more interested in the fight for the title, I don't know how anyone still has the patience to deal with this crap. Fuck Horner, fuck Totto and fuck the lot of them.

They knew exactly what they were doing. This is not about budget. Marussia is not out of F1 because engines were too expensive, they're out of it because they didn't get any of the money that F1 makes. This public farce between them is about nothing more than Mercedes being significantly better than the others.

I'm much more interested in the fight for the title, I don't know how anyone still has the patience to deal with this crap. Fuck Horner, fuck Totto and fuck the lot of them.

Wrong.

dubc35

The engine freeze/unfreeze has been discussed/is being discussed. Are other areas open for changes (suspension, aero, etc)?

I heard Martin Brundle during the Brazilian GP talking about tokens or something used to determine how much of the car can be changed. Are those for the entire car or only engine?

TCRS

Banned
partial google translation of this article (it's in german):

There would, for example, be Fernando Alonso, who won his last two titles in 2005 and 2006 and was in three other finals season nearing success. "I remember that I won the last race twice," said the Spaniard. "Three times I 've lost it. Once with one point, once with three points, once with four points. With eight points more in my career it would have been five titles. So it is not but come. Sometimes one has strategic problems, sometimes you have other problems and sometimes one is just not good enough. "

damn..

also dem V8s, V10 and V12s.... fuck this prius shit.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
While it'd be nice to see more drivers in competitive cars; the 3-cars per team idea is going to be a very expensive one, and likely to bankrupt even more teams.

DBT85

Wait, Merc are now being given blamed for the teams that are struggling? Of the 5, they are only supplying 1 team this year and 2 next year!

Oh and some more Lewis hate because he's not the same as every other driver ever.

The engine freeze/unfreeze has been discussed/is being discussed. Are other areas open for changes (suspension, aero, etc)?

I heard Martin Brundle during the Brazilian GP talking about tokens or something used to determine how much of the car can be changed. Are those for the entire car or only engine?

The tokens are for the PU only.

Eg, new pistons might be 2 tokens, new crank shafts 1 token. Some parts are 3 tokens. You can only spend 32 tokens this coming off season (whole PU is 66) which will allow you to change 48% of the PU, but 92% of the PU is available for development. Only 8% is actually frozen from development entirely.

dubc35

^ Thanks, makes sense.

When I heard MB explain it my mind went to rally video games where you only have so much time in the service area so you have to decide what service to do and what to leave as is, lol.

f0rk

The tokens are for the PU only.

Eg, new pistons might be 2 tokens, new crank shafts 1 token. Some parts are 3 tokens. You can only spend 32 tokens this coming off season (whole PU is 66) which will allow you to change 48% of the PU, but 92% of the PU is available for development. Only 8% is actually frozen from development entirely.
That's a very interesting optimisation problem, I'd like to see the maths that goes into it

Except that the Mercedes V6 is the cheapest of all...

Let the 'personality' begin

0.jpg

kimi1.jpg

41360629_785d937569_b.jpg

Kimi_raikkonen_In_rally_photos.jpg

kimi.jpg

attachment.php

458508.jpg

0.jpg

I wish it can be a possibility :( .. I hate the new V6's and what its doing to our beloved sport

From Horner's interview

He said the engines' cost was the main factor in Marussia's closure and Caterham going into administration.

"The teams cannot carry the burden of any more costs - top teams or little teams," he said.

"Unfortunately, the costs of these power units has driven two teams out of this sport already and it is a big factor, it is a big issue. "

Aiii

So not worth it
Macau Grand Prix is this weekend, btw.

Announced drivers:
Code:
Nr Coureur             Nat Team                            Chassis/Motor
 1 Esteban OCON        FRA SJM Theodore Racing by Prema    Dallara F312 Mercedes-HWA
 2 Antonio FUOCO       ITA SJM Theodore Racing by Prema    Dallara F312 Mercedes-HWA
 3 Nicholas LATIFI     CAN SJM Theodore Racing by Prema    Dallara F314 Mercedes-HWA
 5 Max VERSTAPPEN      NLD Van Amersfoort Racing           Dallara F314 Volkswagen-Spiess
 6 Gustavo MENEZES     USA Van Amersfoort Racing           Dallara F312 Volkswagen-Spiess
 7 Kenta YAMASHITA     JPN Tom’s                           Dallara F312 Toyota-Tom’s
 8 Sam MACLEOD         GBR Tom’s                           Dallara F312 Toyota-Tom’s
 9 CAO Hongwei, Martin CHN Fortec Motorsports              Dallara F313 Mercedes-HWA
10 Santino FERRUCCI    USA Fortec Motorsports              Dallara F312 Mercedes-HWA
11 Alex PALOU          ESP Fortec Motorsports              Dallara F312 Mercedes-HWA
12 Mitsunori TAKABOSHI JPN B-Max Racing Team               Dallara F312 Toyota-Tom’s
14 Tom BLOMQVIST       GBR Jagonya Ayam with Carlin        Dallara F312 Volkswagen-Spiess
15 Antonio GIOVINAZZI  ITA Jagonya Ayam with Carlin        Dallara F314 Volkswagen-Spiess
16 Sean GELAEL         IDN Jagonya Ayam with Carlin        Dallara F312 Volkswagen-Spiess
17 Jordan KING         GBR GR Asia with Carlin             Dallara F312 Volkswagen-Spiess
18 Yu KANAMARU         JPN Carlin                          Dallara F312 Volkswagen-Spiess
19 Lucas AUER          AUT KFZ-Teile 24 Mücke Motorsport   Dallara F312 Mercedes-HWA
20 Felix ROSENQVIST    SWE Kashbet.com by Mücke Motorsport Dallara F312 Mercedes-HWA
21 Tatiana CALDERÓN    COL JZR/ Mücke Motorsport           Dallara F312 Mercedes-HWA
22 Markus POMMER       DEU Motopark                        Dallara F314 Volkswagen-Spiess
23 Félix SERRALLÉS     PRI Team West-Tec F3                Dallara F314 Mercedes-HWA
25 CHANG Wing Chung    MAC Team West-Tec F3                Dallara F312 Mercedes-HWA
26 Richard GODDARD     AUS Three Bond with T-Sport         Dallara F312 NBE
27 Nick CASSIDY        NZL Three Bond with T-Sport         Dallara F314 NBE
28 Roberto MERHI       ESP W66.com Double R Racing         Dallara F313 Mercedes-HWA
29 Stefano COLETTI     MCO EuroInternational               Dallara F313 Mercedes-HWA
30 Dan WELLS           GBR Toda Racing                     Dallara F312 Toda-TRF
31 Will BULLER         GBR Signature                       Dallara F314 Volkswagen-Spiess

hadareud

The Translator
I wouldn't take anything a losing team has to say about the rules having to change for the better of the sport seriously.

Nor would I take a winning team saying that everything is good as it is seriously.

Horner's musings are absolutely worthless. If Red Bull are so concerned about the smaller teams, they should get the contracts re-negotiated. Or at least be open to it. Doesn't look like that's a big priority for them, though.

Strange.

Top Bottom