• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Orbis

And today with have the reason why ITV did not to return to F1, they chose to spend their cash on horse racing.

Horse racing > Formula One. At this rate F1 highlights will be lucky to get on ITV4 in five years time.
I wonder if they had already committed to horse racing before they knew the BBC would drop F1, and ITV execs said no to having both.

Clearly Channel 4 are better off though, there's probably more horsepower in a single F1 engine than all the horses that will be seen on ITV's horse racing coverage combined.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, unless ITV paid roughly the same for horse racing as it would cost to get F1, I'm not sure what the point is.

dubc35

I was excited to post that 3 weeks from today is the first preseason test! ...until I saw it was with 2015 cars.

dubc35

What the fuck am I reading? This doesn't compute.

Wet weather tire testing at Paul Ricard using 2015 cars because F1. Jan 25-26.

edit: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-set-for-wet-tyre-test-at-paul-ricard/
The test will take place on January 25-26 next year, using 2015 cars, and all current teams have been invited to participate.

The whole of the two days will be devoted to wet running, with Pirelli making use of the circuit's sprinkler system.

As with all official tyre tests, teams will not be allowed to make changes to the cars, nor undertake any form of development.

Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said: "The plan is to go to Paul Ricard in January.

"You've got to go to a controlled circuit where water is applied on a consistent basis. It's one of the few places where in January it should be okay in terms of weather.

"You only need one car to do the test we're doing. We've extended the invitation to everyone, if they all want to come, it's good."

Sky Sports also has it listed on their website.

dubc35

What's the best yellow Renault livery? I need a new desktop with some color (currently running RBR's test livery from last year):
TPi3rvX.jpg

Webber joining C4's F1 team?

Talk Sport said today.

C4 will confirm their line up, plans and marketing early next month. Jake and DC were recently at Channel 4 HQ...

Jake, DC and Webber - the new Dream Team for live races?

I'll miss Mystic Ed :(

Deadman

Don't see Jake giving up BT sport considering they have more football than when he joined and he still won't want to be away from family.

I'd be happy if he did though.

Marchionne admits they were forced to delay work on this year's car, but he says they won't use that as an excuse and are still confident they will take the fight to pacesetters Merc.

"Maurizio [Arrivabene, team principal] will tell you we delayed some things to allow for the 2015 car to be finished," said Marchionne.

"Hopefully he will not bitch about this. We pushed the start of some of the work on the '16 cars on the chassis, delayed it a bit.

"But we have had adequate time and adequate financial resources to do the right thing given the rules.

"So I'm confident we will give Mercedes a run for their money.

"We approached the 16 car with a very clear idea and very clear interpretation.

"It is incredibly unlikely that the car will not offer Mercedes a proper challenge.

"For me to determine whether it will win or not would be very gutsy.

"I have no excuses to give you this year, in the sense that we started developing the car at the proper time."

http://planetf1.com/news/ferrari-out-to-give-merc-a-run-for-their-money/

They should shift their focus on the 2017 car. It's the only way.

Hasney

Don't see Jake giving up BT sport considering they have more football than when he joined and he still won't want to be away from family.

I'd be happy if he did though.

I could see Channel 4 doing a UK based studio show for the highlights to save money and maybe only send the commentary team out there, so if he's only away every 4 weeks, it would depend on his BT contract. A lot of them aren't exclusive.

Ehh, I didn't take it as early excuses when I read it. "We delayed some bits, but we had plenty of time and money, so we're about where we wanted to be."

Funnily enough though, concentrating on the 2017 car would have arguably been the smarter bet, but I'll be eating my words if they end up competitive (I doubt this).

Marchionne admits they were forced to delay work on this year's car, but he says they won't use that as an excuse and are still confident they will take the fight to pacesetters Merc.

"Maurizio [Arrivabene, team principal] will tell you we delayed some things to allow for the 2015 car to be finished," said Marchionne.

"Hopefully he will not bitch about this. We pushed the start of some of the work on the '16 cars on the chassis, delayed it a bit.

"But we have had adequate time and adequate financial resources to do the right thing given the rules.

"So I'm confident we will give Mercedes a run for their money.

"We approached the 16 car with a very clear idea and very clear interpretation.

"It is incredibly unlikely that the car will not offer Mercedes a proper challenge.

"For me to determine whether it will win or not would be very gutsy.

"I have no excuses to give you this year, in the sense that we started developing the car at the proper time."

http://planetf1.com/news/ferrari-out-to-give-merc-a-run-for-their-money/

Alonso, please.

Ehh, I didn't take it as early excuses when I read it. "We delayed some bits, but we had plenty of time and money, so we're about where we wanted to be."

Funnily enough though, concentrating on the 2017 car would have arguably been the smarter bet, but I'll be eating my words if they end up competitive (I doubt this).

I agree that it's weird that they came up with a completely new concept for 2016, right before we have new shift in the formula. It reminds me of McLaren with their 2011 or 2012 car, when they had a good base, but decided to revamp it completely and ended up with a dud.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari going FUBAR with their 2016 car and all the excuses they could find would be a fantastic side note to another Mercedes dominated/boring season.

It's quite funny when people claiming they should stop working on the current car.

First, one of the main weakpoints of Ferrari was the weak mid-season developement something that can only be fixed if they collect some experience and then they also need some data and feedback to know what is wrong with the car in the first place.

It's quite funny when people claiming they should stop working on the current car.

First, one of the main weakpoints of Ferrari was the weak mid-season developement something that can only be fixed if they collect some experience and then they also need some data and feedback to know what is wrong with the car in the first place.

I wasn't serious, when I said that. It's more of a stupid meme at this point.

If Vettel manages to do what Alonso couldn't. Can we conclude finally conclude that Alonso is overrated as a driver?

I don't think that claiming that Alonso is a great driver is a wrong statement, just all the fanboyish statements were dumb and that's well-known.

If Vettel manages to do what Alonso couldn't. Can we conclude finally conclude that Alonso is overrated as a driver?

Even then it's somewhat hard to compare them, with the new management at Ferrari. The SF15-T was developed and build during Alonso's presence and I'm sure he had some input. Should he get credit for it?

I agree that it's weird that they came up with a completely new concept for 2016, right before we have new shift in the formula. It reminds me of McLaren with their 2011 or 2012 car, when they had a good base, but decided to revamp it completely and ended up with a dud.
You're thinking of the 2013 car. 2012 car was arguably the best car of that season and they completely revamped the 2013 car which was a shit box by comparison.

dubc35

I like the 2008 Renault F1 :

Thanks! Sorry I couldn't see the pic at work and kept forgetting to check when at home. I like the 2008. I'm currently using the 2010 as a desktop. I wish there was more yellow and I'm not a fan of the dorsal fin but oh well! Besides the fin I am a big fan of the 2010 cars. The nose looks so much better than the current crop.

Icefire1424

Thanks! Sorry I couldn't see the pic at work and kept forgetting to check when at home. I like the 2008. I'm currently using the 2010 as a desktop. I wish there was more yellow and I'm not a fan of the dorsal fin but oh well! Besides the fin I am a big fan of the 2010 cars. The nose looks so much better than the current crop.

Ugh, that picture reminds me that my next Formula B race in Project CARS is at Monaco. I'm...not good on that circuit in that game.

...at least I think that's Monaco?

I just had to unfollow Mercedes on Twitter.

I get that it's great that it's your world champion's birthday. But spamming the timeline with 44 "HAMtastic" moments over the day is just awful.

Lego Boss

I agree, but there's so many on GAF that disagree, that you're gonna have a hard time here now bruv.

But yes, he is massively overrated. Although his memes are getting good GIFs.

Dilly

Banned
I agree, but there's so many on GAF that disagree, that you're gonna have a hard time here now bruv.

But yes, he is massively overrated. Although his memes are getting good GIFs.

That's because the people who disagree actually know what they're talking about cuh

Top Bottom