• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

kharma45

So, I am missing something.

If I understand you guys correctly, aside from the change of channel nothing really changes? You still get your 10 races on non-subscription based TV?

So... What's the problem exactly over what you had last season?

No iPlayer

dubc35

Haven't been keeping up with the finer points of the regulation changes for next season. Are we expecting the cars to look fairly similar to this past season? Are all the big changes coming in 2017/18 season?

That's my understanding too: no major changes next year (MER domination) and then larger changes to the formula in 2017.

Icefire1424

After lurking this thread for a long, long time, I've gotta ask...

...is pretty much everyone in here from the UK? From reading through this thread and on the BBC, it certainly does seem that interest in F1 is dropping off in the UK a bit, while speaking as someone across the pond, interest in F1 actually seems to be picking up in the States. Was able to catch all the races on TV this year, with some even shown on Network TV. Many are still only on NBC Universal and Universal Sports (both owned by NBC), but still showing up on "basic" cable. Been awhile since I've seen that.

Anyways, apologies for the digression, but was a bit surprised to see the feedback following the news of BBC dropping F1.

Interesting that's still on the Red Bull website. Wonder if there's still ties there? He *did* get along with Dietrich Mateschitz.

He's still, and probably will forever be, a part of the Red Bull Family. He's always at RB promotional events. Hell even Hartley still has ties to RB.

...is pretty much everyone in here from the UK? From reading through this thread and on the BBC, it certainly does seem that interest in F1 is dropping off in the UK a bit, while speaking as someone across the pond, interest in F1 actually seems to be picking up in the States. Was able to catch all the races on TV this year, with some even shown on Network TV. Many are still only on NBC Universal and Universal Sports (both owned by NBC), but still showing up on "basic" cable. Been awhile since I've seen that.

Anyways, apologies for the digression, but was a bit surprised to see the feedback following the news of BBC dropping F1.
I'm American as well. Diffey is nothing more than a promotional tool but NBC could be worse.

Aiii

So not worth it

No, we have a bunch of nationalities in here. I am Dutch myself and interest in F1 is higher than it has been for a long while thanks to Max. It even moved from pay TV to a free TV channel (only on one TV provider, but like 70% of Dutch people are customers there).

So yeah, F1 is far from dying anytime soon, though that does not mean they don't have some problems with going behind paywalls and some races not being interesting to watch, but objectively speaking that has always been the case, definitely a bit of a case of rose colored glasses when looking back.

yami4ct

I only post here sporadically, but I'm a US fan. Just picked up the sport last year. It's the first motorsport, and really the first sport in general, that has really sucked me in.

GiantBomb's F1 Podcast is partly at fault for this.

andshrew

Just give me an online package Bernie. Full live coverage of the entire weekend on the main website. I will pay an arm and a leg. Just, give it to me man. Fuck.

It just ain't happening while the broadcasters are prepared to pay the big bucks to provide the coverage.

But don't worry Sky have you covered on both fronts - Now TV gives you the full weekend streamed live, and you get to pay an arm and a leg for the privilege (circa £230 for 21 races next year).

Shaneus

Mark-Aussie-Flag-Aussie-Grit.jpg

DD

redb-webb-inte-2013-6.jpg

TCRS

Banned
So, I am missing something.

If I understand you guys correctly, aside from the change of channel nothing really changes? You still get your 10 races on non-subscription based TV?

So... What's the problem exactly over what you had last season?

probably lame ass presenters, probably lower production value, no suzi, no iplayer, no post race forum

going to miss the bbc days ;_;

Jezbollah

My issue is with Sky being anywhere near F1 at all.

I remember those same views being aired when Sky got exclusive rights to what became the Premier League.....

probably lame ass presenters, probably lower production value, no suzi, no iplayer, no post race forum

going to miss the bbc days ;_;

Do you remember what the BBC coverage was like up until the end of 1996 before it went to ITV?

I only post here sporadically, but I'm a US fan. Just picked up the sport last year. It's the first motorsport, and really the first sport in general, that has really sucked me in.

GiantBomb's F1 Podcast is partly at fault for this.
Wait what? Man your gunpla obsession had me thinking you were Japanese/living in Japan.

My issue is with Sky being anywhere near F1 at all.

Sky won't renew their F1 deal.

This year they've said it's too expensive to produce and will cut costs starting next year.
The viewing figures are shit.
Advertisers will bail for more exposure on C4.
Need all monies for next Premier League BT battle.

F1 will be on ITV4 in highlights form within the next 5 years.

Zaru

Austrian here. Interest has been dropping for sure, though I know a bunch of people that are tangentially aware enough to talk about it with.
At the moment, our public service channel (the biggest in the country by viewership) airs every F1 weekend for free, including a web livestream. Considering how much those rights cost, I doubt this will last forever though.

hadareud

The Translator
Football and the Olympics are much, much more popular than Formula 1.

That's not a recent development, either.

Obviously they kept the sports that get the highest viewership figures. For now.

Don't worry, they'll have to give football up soon enough too, once the next round of spending cuts is announced. News channel and any sport of significance will be next. Then they'll go after their online presence. If the Tories win the next election, which they will, the BBC as we know it will no longer exist at the end of that term.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/newey-sees-honda-as-a-threat-for-2016/

Adrian Newey thinking that even McLaren might be better than Red Bull next season.

It's funny how many people are taking his comments that way. All he actually said is that next season will be difficult for Red Bull due to their engine situation, and that many other teams, not just McLaren, are in a better situation when it comes to the engine, including Toro Rosso and Honda, because he thinks that Honda might very well solve their MGU-H problems.

Pre-ordered the season review as a Christmas gift for an F1-loving kid, was meant to come out yesterday I think.

Received an email this morning saying that there was a delay, and that I won't receive it for another 3-5 weeks. Eejits. Left me right up shit creek.

Yes, this is a drive-by rant, but at least a relevant one. Did anyone else order through Amazon?

Icefire1424

I stand corrected, pretty good showing across the globe it would seem. Sorry to see F1 leaving the BBC gents, sounds like they had a pretty good program.

...and I love Webber. Was sad to see him leave F1, but good still seeing him race endurance series.

dubc35

kwOtRs1.png

Planned rule changes for 2017 are likely to make overtaking more difficult, Formula One engineers have warned.

"My belief is that the more downforce you have on a car, the harder it is to follow," Symonds said. "The 2017 car has more downforce, so therefore irrespective of any niceties the Overtaking Working Group may have come up with and irrespective of whether one believes in them or not -- as a member of that group I know the shortcuts that were taken against the true scientific process -- the fact is that if you have got more downforce it is going to be harder to follow. That's a little bit simplistic, but nevertheless quite true."

Ark

They should just make the drivers sit at home and play Need for Speed instead, and stream it on Twitch.

andshrew

Pre-ordered the season review as a Christmas gift for an F1-loving kid, was meant to come out yesterday I think.

Received an email this morning saying that there was a delay, and that I won't receive it for another 3-5 weeks. Eejits. Left me right up shit creek.

Yes, this is a drive-by rant, but at least a relevant one. Did anyone else order through Amazon?

Pretty sure this has happened the past couple of years where it's been due just before Christmas but actually doesn't come out until a week or so after.

Amazon claiming the DVD is in stock but Bluray in 4-5 weeks. :(

Lucius86

Banned
That's a bit shocking, always seemed a great couple.

Yep, I thought these guys were a certainty. Hope it gets resolved quickly for all parties.

Still, I leave this post with a greater chance having a threesome with Jessica and my gf...clouds with a silver lining and all that.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Still, I leave this post with a greater chance having a threesome with Jessica and my gf...clouds with a silver lining and all that.

A threesome with Button's ex-wife, McLaren being competitive again... 2016 is full of possibilities.

xrnzaaas

Man, that's a shocker. They always seemed like a perfect couple. And after so many years in a relationship you'd think they would be used to being apart for a lot of time due to conflicting careers.

Top Bottom