• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Scottify

Looks like Red Bull have already added the Tag Heuer branding...

redb-kitz-2016-2.jpg

Lego Boss

Here in Poland F1 disappeared from free tv 2 seasons ago and now it's only on premium sports channels (no one knows for how long). This was big news, because it was on tv since the 90s. It was also very popular when Robert Kubica was racing, but after he had to leave F1 the viewership numbers quickly declined to abysmal levels.

I tried live streaming this on Weeb TV, but as it's premium there's no access outside of Poland. It used to be on TVN I think? I remember watching Button in Canada in Poland, it was amazing and my mother-in-law got well into it, cheering when Vettel span out at the end!

xrnzaaas

I tried live streaming this on Weeb TV, but as it's premium there's no access outside of Poland. It used to be on TVN I think? I remember watching Button in Canada in Poland, it was amazing and my mother-in-law got well into it, cheering when Vettel span out at the end!

For as long as I remember it was transmitted by Polsat. But like I've said the viewership has declined and since many of the races from the current calendar are now transmitted during primetime they decided to let it go. I tried watching a couple of races via live streams, but the connection is often pretty bad. These days I usually wait for the full race to be available somewhere online to download it to my PC.

September 4

Maldonado:
“There are a lot of rumors and for sure negotiations going on. I really wish the best for the team, we have a contract until the end of next season, so it should be all OK, whether Renault comes or not. I really wish the best for the team, if Renault comes, they are welcome.”

Few months later

Renault felt with significant livery changes to be made to the car - scheduled to be unveiled in early February - affecting the available space on it, that would in turn change the existing contract.

I love contracts in Formula 1.

tomtom94

Saw a news story earlier that Channel 4 have chosen Whisper, an indie founded by Jake and DC, to produce their F1 coverage. Wonder what that means for the presenting team?

September 4

Maldonado:
“There are a lot of rumors and for sure negotiations going on. I really wish the best for the team, we have a contract until the end of next season, so it should be all OK, whether Renault comes or not. I really wish the best for the team, if Renault comes, they are welcome.”

Few months later

Renault felt with significant livery changes to be made to the car - scheduled to be unveiled in early February - affecting the available space on it, that would in turn change the existing contract.

I love contracts in Formula 1.
No wonder why Pastor drove so horribly, he was just a livery all along.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah I read that. It's fucking hilarious how these F1 contracts are both ironclad and razor thin at the same god damn time.

In thiis case I guess Maldonado has a contract that requires him to pay a certain amount of money. Then to get the sponsor to give that money they require a certain amount of exposure on the car that isn't part of the contract. So Renault is basically telling them to pay up despite getting less exposure if they want Maldonado to drive.

Technically everyone is adhering to the conditions in the contract. Nifty loophole.

Lach

Aaaaand Sauber is in the news again for all the wrong reasons again.

A swiss court has allowed Sutil to sue against Sauber for breach of contract.
Sauber says the contract (for 2015) was terminated as Sutil had missed payments of a total of 40 Million Swiss Francs (sponsoring money) at that point.

Source in German

Sauber says the contract (for 2015) was terminated as Sutil had missed payments of a total of 40 Million Swiss Francs (sponsoring money) at that point.

Source in German

Is that true? If so, on what grounds does he stand to file a case against them?

Hasney

Source in German

Maldanado's ears probably just pricked up like a dogs, just in case.

DBT85

Pirelli have said they can't make tyres that will cope with the proposed changes for 2017 without making them have to run at crazy pressures. So those changes will have to be looked at, again.

Yaaaaay.

mclem

kjmBkAe.png

Not sure if posted: Haas posted their team truck livery...let's hope the car has some more color.

My first thought was "Isn't that an inverted Hoover logo?"

dcM3HPF.png

It's not, really, but it's similar enough that my brain made the association straight away.

They should have winter GP. Paging Bernie...

Actually, I wonder if it'd be interesting to have a GP somewhere really cold. Probably too many safety issues (don't want the track iced up!). What's the (generally) coldest one we currently do? Silverstone? Sochi?

Saw a news story earlier that Channel 4 have chosen Whisper, an indie founded by Jake and DC, to produce their F1 coverage. Wonder what that means for the presenting team?

What were Whisper doing before they got the F1? Were they a... Carless Whisper?

I'll show myself out.

Aiii

So not worth it
A closer look at the studded snow tires they're using for the RB snow demo today:

Shame the tire isn't in focus on the bottom pic, I hope we get a close up of the tire later.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not quite F1 related, but if it's as serious as the VW scandal it could have a big effect. Renault stocks are down 16% from reports that French fraud investigators have seized computers. It looks like emission testing, but that's not confirmed.

Edit: 20% down now.

Surprised its taken them this long really, when the VW thing leaked out I figured they'd get the rest of the companies quickly after that as well.

I'm one of those people that doesn't think any of the producers didn't have the same "optimizing" software for emissions testing.

DBT85

Surprised its taken them this long really, when the VW thing leaked out I figured they'd get the rest of the companies quickly after that as well.

I'm one of those people that doesn't think any of the producers didn't have the same "optimizing" software for emissions testing.

I have to agree, I cant imagine that with all the money that VW were able to throw at the engines, and how well most of those engines otherwise perform, that every other manufacturer isn't pulling the same trick in one way or another.

Orbis

Pirelli have said they can't make tyres that will cope with the proposed changes for 2017 without making them have to run at crazy pressures. So those changes will have to be looked at, again.

Yaaaaay.
Pirelli can fuck off.

Ty4on

I feel a big difference with VW was their involvement in the US. A lot of the issues in EU with disparity on and off the test bench seems to be more about EU's testing than the individual manufacturers.

Phew. Any news on anyone else coming across? DC is the main one for me

A poster on Digital Spy said Suzi Perry will definitely not be joining C4, he also said Jake won't be happening either. DC new lead presenter?

Reddit says Mark Webber and Susie Wolff are C4's top targets to join him

Jackie-Chan-Meme-Template.jpg

Are they going for the dullest line up of all time?

tomtom94

A poster on Digital Spy said Suzi Perry will definitely not be joining C4, he also said Jake won't be happening either. DC new lead presenter?

Reddit says Mark Webber and Susie Wolff are C4's top targets to join him

Jackie-Chan-Meme-Template.jpg

Are they going for the dullest line up of all time?

>Dullest line-up of all time

>Webber

does not compute

Top Bottom