• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Does this mean they have reached half of the Mercedes power unit?

No, it means they've surpassed Mercedes 15/16 hybrid PU output, there's the 160 bhp from the fixed ERS and the rest from their ICE improvements.

McLaren Honda will shock the F1 world with their blistering pace next season.

No, it means they've surpassed Mercedes 15/16 hybrid PU output, there's the 160 bhp from the fixed ERS and the rest from their ICE improvements.

McLaren Honda will shock the F1 world with their blistering pace next season.

There was, however, some good news for the team as Spanish tabloid newspaper AS recently reported that Honda had found an "extra 223 horsepower."

Honda, though, have been quick to downplay this.

The company told Sky Sports: "Recent media reports have suggested a huge horsepower boost for McLaren-Honda in 2016. These reports are unsubstantiated and merely speculative, and we ask fans and media alike to treat them as such."

Ok.-

Oldish F1 fan here but steadily lost interest over the last five years.

Barely watched a race last season but I hope this season is more competitive.

Is the McLaren Honda a real threat of being competitive?

Also, will they be changing their colors back to white and red/fluro orange?

There was, however, some good news for the team as Spanish tabloid newspaper AS recently reported that Honda had found an "extra 223 horsepower."

The company told Sky Sports: "Recent media reports have suggested a huge horsepower boost for McLaren-Honda in 2016. These reports are unsubstantiated and merely speculative, and we ask fans and media alike to treat them as such."

Ok.-

They were always going to get rumors of their improvement or lack of over the winter, best thing for them to do is deny everything and do their talking, good or bad, on the track.

Ok.

Sky is a shithouse, that 223 figure is including the 160 from the ERS.

A 60 bhp gain on the ICE and no deployment issues = a race winning McLaren.

Jezbollah

Oldish F1 fan here but steadily lost interest over the last five years.

Barely watched a race last season but I hope this season is more competitive.

Is the McLaren Honda a real threat of being competitive?

Also, will they be changing their colors back to white and red/fluro orange?

Hello mate, glad to see you here.

Last year's Honda was a disaster - they came back to F1 too soon IMO - I actually think the McLaren car itself was not bad - just incredibly hindered by lack of power.

There are rumours that Honda have finally cracked the two big issues (ICE power, and ERS deployment) - If this is the case their engine should be in the ballpark this season. The new car will be the first with "maximum influence" from Peter Prodromou so it should be ok.

The colours really depend on their sponsors - they have claimed they have a few lined up but no real Title sponsorship around now. I suspect the current design will remain until next year if they are indeed competitive.

Hello mate, glad to see you here.

Last year's Honda was a disaster - they came back to F1 too soon IMO - I actually think the McLaren car itself was not bad - just incredibly hindered by lack of power.

There are rumours that Honda have finally cracked the two big issues (ICE power, and ERS deployment) - If this is the case their engine should be in the ballpark this season. The new car will be the first with "maximum influence" from Peter Prodromou so it should be ok.

The colours really depend on their sponsors - they have claimed they have a few lined up but no real Title sponsorship around now. I suspect the current design will remain until next year if they are indeed competitive.

cool, cheers for the reply.

I am a mechanical engineer and at university all my mates were really into F1 and so I naturally started following it pretty closely too (one guy I went to uni with now works for Red Bull, and another for an Australian touring car team).

I love the technology side of F1, but it needs a lot more competition than just two or three manufacturers. That is what I miss from the sport.

If Mclaren Honda go back to white and red rather than that predominantly black look, Id be all over that shit, so would thousands of other fans. Just how they could do it without having to pay Malboro is the question.

I mean, surely someone can come up with a look which looks similar to the past but different enough without infringing adversting laws.
181806001_470847a472_b.jpg

Icefire1424

Let's assume for a moment that McLaren actually got their act together in the offseason, and managed to get an engine that can not only compete in the field, but compete against the mighty Mercedes power units.

Now, taking that a step further, what if the work Ferrari did on their units also leveled the playing field with AMG-Petronas. Suddenly we have three teams, all fielding former champions all shooting for the podium, every race.

Man, that would be awesome.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I just think that would be really cool. That is all. Go about your regular discussions.

Zeknurn

Let's assume for a moment that McLaren actually got their act together in the offseason, and managed to get an engine that can not only compete in the field, but compete against the mighty Mercedes power units.

Now, taking that a step further, what if the work Ferrari did on their units also leveled the playing field with AMG-Petronas. Suddenly we have three teams, all fielding former champions all shooting for the podium, every race.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I just think that would be really cool. That is all. Go about your regular discussions.

hey Icefire1442, wake up, you're dreaming and it's time for school.

Massa

At the very least we can hope that the Rosberg that starts 2016 will be the same guy that finished 2015. That alone should make it a much more interesting season.

Icefire1424

hey Icefire1442, wake up, you're dreaming and it's time for school.

Hey, I never said I actually expect any of this to happen, just that it would be pretty damned cool if it did!

At the very least we can hope that the Rosberg that starts 2016 will be the same guy that finished 2015. That alone should make it a much more interesting season.

That would make for a more interesting season, yes. Especially considering when the two of them start going at it, one will eventually crash into the other, causing all sorts of shenanigans.

...leaving the win open for Ze German.

And let's hope that Hamilton goes back to giving a shit cause I really think he was running on a couple of less cylinders by the end compared to the beginning of that season. I think it was also stated that he fell out of love with the car after Singapore as well.

Unless there are rules specifically made to stop Mercedes improving on their car while the others play catch up, I am not optimistic about a level playing field for this 2016 campaign. When you start out of the gate with a built in advantage, the history of the sport says the only thing that allows other teams to catch up are rules specifically crafted to negate the engineering advantage of the frontrunner. This token system is pure rubbish though and ensures the status quo is maintained.

Icefire1424

And let's hope that Hamilton goes back to giving a shit cause I really think he was running on a couple of less cylinders by the end compared to the beginning of that season. I think it was also stated that he fell out of love with the car after Singapore as well.

Was wondering that. Is the general consensus that Rosberg really did start doing better in the last few races, or that Hamilton just eased up after winning? Know he wasn't comfortable with the car though.

Was wondering that. Is the general consensus that Rosberg really did start doing better in the last few races, or that Hamilton just eased up after winning? Know he wasn't comfortable with the car though.
I honestly think it's a combination of that and the car moving away from what Hamilton liked had a lot to do with that. I honestly don't think it was exactly one thing. I would like to think Hamilton could've gotten a better grasp on the car, but he just didn't want to and was like "I still win the WDC with safe seconds any how." I know that isn't exactly an old school Hamilton mindset, but this isn't exactly old school Hamilton anymore so it makes sense.

Hamilton partied harder after winning his title, didnt put forward the extra effort to get on top of his car set up, and Rosberg performs better without the weight of pressure.

Fox Mulder

I'm not giving nico any benefit of the doubt. He crumbles under pressure hard and lewis owned him all year until he won the championship and could let off.

Hamilton partied harder after winning his title, didnt put forward the extra effort to get on top of his car set up, and Rosberg performs better without the weight of pressure.

Keep in mind also that Nico's wife was having problems with her pregnancy for the early part of the season. Kind of hard to be 100% focused with all that going on.

NHale

So Mercedes was just on the factory playing chess, right?

The distorted flag on the rollover bar looks weird.

gKcteEY.png
In reality the distorted American flag properly reflects the state of this country, but that's a topic for another thread. Car looks boring, they really should just commission your "America Fuck Yeah" livery and just make sure you add some Master Chief some where in there or GI Joe or Optimus Prime.
Judging by some of their Facebook videos, they just drift around their office in mini scooter things.

dubc35

Haas will reveal their car on the morning of the first test day.

Also here's a teaser image.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZuGMrxWQAABudP.jpg:large[/IM][/QUOTE]
Pirelli must be pissed, they didn't even bother to line up the tires!

I'll hold my opinion for the final version....but it better not be that dark/silver/black.

frontieruk

it's easier to find something extra when you're already that deficient from the leader, then when you are leading, there's a point of diminishing returns it just depends if/how badly Mercedes have sandbagged up to now

Icefire1424

So long as I'm living in a fantasy world, sure! No improvements whatsoever to the Mercs. All even terms this year.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed that the Bald Eagle on the bizzaro Hass car isn't crying. I feel there should be a teardrop. 'Cuz FREEDOM.

Goldrusher

Icefire1424

f1-fia-to-carry-out-closed-cockpit-tests-2015-fia-to-carry-out-closed-cockpit-tests.jpg

...is it just me that thinks visibility would be just a bit hampered by this thing? I'm all for making the sport safer, but I would think that bar in the center of a drivers field of vision would be distracting.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That's not that ugly. Until you add 12 small fins to it like the front wing.

What are the other proposals?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
...is it just me that thinks visibility would be just a bit hampered by this thing? I'm all for making the sport safer, but I would think that bar in the center of a drivers field of vision would be distracting.

The front pilar seems to be transparent.

f1-fia-to-carry-out-closed-cockpit-tests-2015-fia-to-carry-out-closed-cockpit-tests.jpg

Probably little more than the various assortment of cockpit aerials and bumps they already have

Is Magnussen an upgrade over Maldonado?

F1-INVITATION-CARLOS-GHOSN-RETOUR-RENAULT-EN-F1-518x680.png

Jérôme Stoll (Président Renault Sport F1)

Thierry Bolloré (Chief Competitive Officer)

Patrice Ratti (Directeur Général Renault Sport Technologie)

Frédéric Vasseur (Racing Director)

Cyril Abiteboul (Directeur Général Renault Sport F1)

Gérard Lopez (Non Executive Director, actionnaire)

Bob Bell F1 (Chief Technical Officer)

Nick Chester (Directeur Technique Châssis)

Rémi Taffin (Directeur Technique Moteur)

No drivers mentioned after being confirmed last month, is there a double chop coming?

French F1 sites say Renault want Ocon and are willing to buyout his Mercedes contract.

Top Bottom