• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
From what I gather, the other options were a closed cockpit, or whatever in the hell the second one is.

1453200732.jpg

f1-fia-to-carry-out-closed-cockpit-tests-2015-fia-closed-cockpit-testing.jpg

😖
At this point you are just better off going closed cockpit. The others look a bit shit. 😫

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Why are you guys focusing on the looks instead of whether it's safer/more practical or not?

Jezbollah

If this structure inhibits the driver's ability to get out of the car in 5 seconds doesn't that make it a no-goer anyway?

If this structure inhibits the driver's ability to get out of the car in 5 seconds doesn't that make it a no-goer anyway?

Other than in the unlikely event of an overturned car why would they not be able to get out in 5 seconds if there is a quick release system?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Other than in the unlikely event of an overturned car why would they not be able to get out in 5 seconds if there is a quick release system?

This. They mentioned at one point it's more designed to deflect flying pieces, tires and stuff, not necessarily a car coming sideways or a crash structure itself.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

I believe that's the main reason a closed cockpit is a no-go, and why the Mercedes halo is preferred over it.

It wouldn't have helped Massa, but might have saved Surtees (wheel), Bianchi (collision with crane), or Wilson (nose cone).

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
ElTorro pls, it's a reflection lol.

I just realized that the Petronas logo is not symmetric, so yeah, it has to be a reflection. I now remember that I had the same thought a few months ago in another thread when that image had been posted, lol.

Fisico

Is Magnussen an upgrade over Maldonado?

No drivers mentioned after being confirmed last month, is there a double chop coming?

French F1 sites say Renault want Ocon and are willing to buyout his Mercedes contract.

I always thought it was a possibility, from a legal point of view both drivers were contracted with Lotus so I'm sure with some twist Renault could say they didn't sign them in the end.

xrnzaaas

Not a fan of the cockpit protection idea. Looks fugly and how is this supposed to work in rainy conditions without the wipers? Getting rid of Maldonado is enough to make F1 safer for the years to come. ;p

Icefire1424

Tangentially related to F1, so I don't feel too bad posting this here.

Since there aren't any races to watch at the moment, I'm getting my race fix in through playing Project CARS. Currently in the GP2...er...Formula B championship and my next race just happens to be at Monaco.

...and dear God I cannot find a way to set up that car that doesn't end with me in a wall. Starting to see why the teams have so much trouble at that circuit. This is going to be a problem if I can't stay on the track long enough to post a good Qualifying time, since there's no way I'll be able to pass anyone during the race.

dubc35

What's the hashtag for Red Bull complaining? I need to use it more (even though I don't tweet, lol)
"It is important to find the right balance between the chassis, engine and the driver for the sport to be competitive, but right now the engine is dominating, which is unhealthy. Cosworth came with a winning engine in 1967 that was exclusively for use by the Lotus team. It became very clear that the engine was going to be dominant.

"Then, Lotus agreed to waive its exclusivity to allow others to use it for the good of the sport. Unfortunately, that sort of attitude doesn't seem to exist any more. If the sport is not healthy, what's the point in winning?"

Sure Adrian, because you were so willing to share your aero with other teams when you were dominating.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/14671394/if-sport-not-healthy-point-winning-adrian-newey

Fox Mulder

What's the hashtag for Red Bull complaining? I need to use it more (even though I don't tweet, lol)

Sure Adrian, because you were so willing to share your aero with other teams when you were dominating.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/14671394/if-sport-not-healthy-point-winning-adrian-newey

Aero is something every team can work on. Customer teams are handcuffed on what they get from an engine provider. It must be frustrating, as Redbull couldnt do anything about Renault shitting the bed with their god awful engines.

Holy crap. Even without checking I'm going to assume that's the alleyway portion after the looooong sweeping right around the Old City, which already looks treacherous enough. And how the hell are you going to be able to clear incidents in that area? It's not like Monaco where there's room to cram some cranes around and even space to throw a few barriers up.

The whole track screams dangerous to me, to be honest. The teams will have to run Monza spec to not cripple themselves on the preposterously long front straight, yet also squirm through cobbles like that? Race is likely to bump up on the 2hr max.
Looks like they're already getting their drivers trained up for Formula E circuits..
The rest is on wide enough streets and lacks random chicanes. The signature sections are the front straight, sector 1 and through here. It's some Singapore-type 90-degree turn nonsense from there on, if I recall.

Zeknurn

The Tilke mockup courtesy of wtf1.co.uk.

I'm going to make a prediction that this race will be peak drama this season if someone crashes in practice.

Also, if it rains the race won't go ahead.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Some race organizers simply hate overtaking

If they make such weird tracks, they should just go all-in and add alternative routes for overtaking. Mario Kart style.

ajcacio

Banned

I'm going to make a prediction that this race will be peak drama this season if someone crashes in practice.

This may be a dumb question, are they going to pave over that cobblestone??? Or is it removable? Would be a shame to cover it up

NHale

Just watched the 24 hours of Daytona finish the GTLM class with a 0.1 difference between 1st and 2nd place both from the same team, where his team owner allowed them to race and both almost crashed with 6 mins to go. If this was F1, Horner or Todt would be on track crying and begging the 2nd place to slowdown.

Team owner after the race "We don't work so hard for 23 hours not to race in the end."

This race had more battles for the win and enjoyment in the last hour than F1 has in 5 races. Seriously there is something wrong where endurance racing has more sprint racing than F1 (manage tyres, delta times, fuel management) meanwhile this race and last year's LeMans was sprint racing for the entire 24 hours, screw tyres, fuel, gotta go fast. Incredible how things have turned.

Also Barrichello team almost won overall (but was much slower than his teammates to the point they preferred to have a sick driver on the car than Rubens).

amar212

From my very childlish and non-pro experience in virtual racing:

This whole track makes zero sense because of its layout.

Configuration allows the leader to build the MASSIVE gap in that "old city" section and then widen the gap in those stupid straights. Despite I like the narrow streets and such old-city backgrund, the actual layout is simply stupid.

DBT85

Not a fan of the cockpit protection idea. Looks fugly and how is this supposed to work in rainy conditions without the wipers? Getting rid of Maldonado is enough to make F1 safer for the years to come. ;p

At anything over 30mph rain flies off my windscreen with some carlack windscreen stuff on it. I imagine its probably something that's been solved before.

Planet F1 has compiled a gallery of Pastor's top 10 crashes since he joined F1 5 years ago.

http://planetf1.com/galleries/maldonados-top-ten-crashes/

So sad to see him without a team. But again, I'm sure Sauber will pick him up.

And for some real news, Max Verstappen is not going to be the youngest driver in the paddock anymore, as Force India signs Nikita Mazepin, 16 years old, as a development driver. He's only going to attend races and spent time in the simulator. The young lad just graduated from karting to Formula Renault last year. I'm sure he and the team can learn a lot from each other.

Zeknurn

@ams_formula1: Renault has signed Kevin Magnussen to replace Pastor Maldonado. AMuS (in German): https://t.co/ijLN1IQvg1 #f1

Kevin Magnussen signed a contract for the new Renault factory team for 2016. The commitment will be officially announced at the team presentation on Wednesday (3.2.2016). Pastor Maldonado is so out.

End of an era.

I'm pondering if I should go to Hockenheim this year.

Top Bottom