• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

12711033_984024545009193_5663232949878247809_o.jpg

F1 looks too dangerous.
Should be a hairpin right where it joins the roundabout then go around in a semi circle & out onto the opposite lane.

Risgroo

Pascal Wehrlein will join Manor this year: http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1-wehrlein-zu-manor-8605141.html

Quite the team they've assembled over the break. Mercedes engine, Williams chassis, plus Pat Fry and Nicolas Tombazis (Ferrari) and Dave Ryan (McLaren).

Nice! Would love to see Rossi in the other seat, but I'm expecting Haryanto.

Given that they've just announced the LMP2 program, I would suggest they have more funds than people expect.
IIRC the LMP2 team has nothing to do with the F1 team. Kinda like Lotus (Renault) and Lotus (Caterham) a few years ago.

Aaaand it looks like Flavio's had plastic surgery https://www.instagram.com/p/BBa-Pgos7V9/

tomtom94

Good for Wehrlein. Hope the car is good enough he actually gets a chance to show what he can do. And please, please let the other seat be somebody other than Haryanto. So many better GP2 drivers...

Lach

Really hope that manor, being the last survivors of the 2010 additions, are able to close rhat gap. Having a team always be 2-3s behind is not fun for either the sport and the team.

Icefire1424

Can I be cautiously optimistic regarding the Ferrari news? That's what I think I am. Anything that would potentially create competition between the Mercs and the Ponies is a good thing.

...until one of 'em explodes, or something.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Can I be cautiously optimistic regarding the Ferrari news? That's what I think I am. Anything that would potentially create competition between the Mercs and the Ponies is a good thing.

...until one of 'em explodes, or something.

There are rumors that Mercedes did not even unveil the true power of their engine last year (that from Monza, when they steamrolled everybody for 1.5 seconds in free practice and then turned it down and then they stumbled into power transfer issues that killed their chances in Singapore) and Mercedes engine department is very confident before the season about their 2016 engine. I think they still have an advantage, only question is how big is it - is it smaller than in 2015 (possible) or even bigger (also possible).

Icefire1424

There are rumors that Mercedes did not even unveil the true power of their engine last year (that from Monza, when they steamrolled everybody for 1.5 seconds in free practice and then turned it down and then they stumbled into power transfer issues that killed their chances in Singapore) and Mercedes engine department is very confident before the season about their 2016 engine. I think they still have an advantage, only question is how big is it - is it smaller than in 2015 (possible) or even bigger (also possible).

Oh wow, not sure how I missed hearing that.

Will be an interesting start to the season anyways, really curious how all the work done in the offseason equates to time on the track. We know the Mercs are over the 900 BHP mark, and with the latest it sounds like Ferrari has made some pretty aggressive changes.

Still not expecting much from them, but eagerly keeping an eye on the Hondas to see what improvements they've managed to make.

Weren't they like a second ahead of the nearest team in Australia last year? So what 3 seconds ahead this year in qualifying?

Good to see the WEC continues to be an ex-F1 refugee camp, with Kobayashi getting a permanent spot with the Toyota LMP1. The Toyota program alone has 3 of their 6 primary as alumni. At this rate the contenders will exclusively be ex-F1s in a few years, and that's frankly fine by me. Far too many good drivers get bumped out for political and economic reasons.
I've always wondered about that power change. Hamilton kept saying that he didn't like the car from Singapore onward and it simply didn't feel right. Considering that from a purely hardware and physical component perspective they could surely change the car back to the precise specs and settings from before, could it have been a change in power distribution or slight weight balance from a different unit that made things harder?

I know that was largely seen as an excuse from Hamilton for trailing off at the end of the year, but qualifying alone where there's no way he'd hand Rosberg any poles just for fun to me was proof enough that something was off.

DBT85

Weren't they like a second ahead of the nearest team in Australia last year? So what 3 seconds ahead this year in qualifying?

No, everyone should have made a step forwards and if you're the leader of the pack the assumption is that your step should in theory be smaller, since you have less gains to find compared to say Honda.

On that basis, if Merc rock up in Aus and are 1.5s clear again then they've done an incredible job.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I've always wondered about that power change. Hamilton kept saying that he didn't like the car from Singapore onward and it simply didn't feel right. Considering that from a purely hardware and physical component perspective they could surely change the car back to the precise specs and settings from before, could it have been a change in power distribution or slight weight balance from a different unit that made things harder?

I know that was largely seen as an excuse from Hamilton for trailing off at the end of the year, but qualifying alone where there's no way he'd hand Rosberg any poles just for fun to me was proof enough that something was off.
They did not had right settings for that additional power and simply collapsed their tyre operating windows down the drain and car turned into rubber chewer. They needed almost a month to sort that out - we never learned what they did - they could changed something on car that did not suit Lewis and it helped Nico. Add testing new components for 2016 in this equation...

We will see what they have in their sleeves for 2016. I think they will sandbag in Barcelona, ramping up laps like in the last season testing, hiding their true pace till the first race.

There is also a tinfoil hat theory that Mercedes simply let other manufacturers to come closer just to ensure use of current engines til 2020...

Zeknurn

Head of Digital for FormulaE tweeted this:
@tghalls: Today I witnessed something that will blow our fans minds when they see it. Changes how we interact with the sport. @FIAformulaE
@tghalls: So excited to show you all in just a few months. Takes a lot to impress me with new tech; this is revolutionary. @FIAformulaE

Keep your expectations in check.

Edit: Added more.

Lach

My guess:

Twitch plays Formula E
One car in the field is controlled by the chat of an official live stream on twitch!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Merc will do a car shakedown in Silverstone on Friday

Manor will use one of Mercedes wind tunnels. And I have a strange feeling that they could become Mercedes B-team

Staab

Starting to get exciting again with the first test and 2016 car launches ahead !

We had the Renault launch in early February but it's expected to be heavily revised even by the first test, so now we have :
17 Feb Red Bull Livery launch in London
19 Feb Ferrari Online
21 Feb McLaren Online
22 Feb Haas F1 Barcelona
22 Feb Mercedes Barcelona
22 Feb Red Bull Barcelona
22 Feb Toro Rosso Barcelona
22 Feb Williams Barcelona
22 Feb Manor Barcelona
22 Feb Force India Barcelona (TBC)
01 Mar Sauber Barcelona (Test n°2)

I'm really looking forward to next week, especially with a good teaser for this week-end ;)

Zeknurn

Spain has lost its free to air coverage. I wonder when the sponsors will care that the viewer base is a fraction of what it used to be.

@FIAformulaE: There may be some big news coming later. Our lips are sealed..for now at least! #FormulaE
@FIAformulaE: Seriously though, it's big news. And VERY exciting...#FormulaE
@FIAformulaE: I promise not to tease you all too much with this piece of news...unlike with the #FERaceOff announcement (which was great fun for us!).

Top Bottom