• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

ruttyboy

Genuine question, why all the cynicism about Honda's ability? It was my impression that they make some amazing engines, why would that not translate to F1?

Genuine question, why all the cynicism about Honda's ability? It was my impression that they make some amazing engines, why would that not translate to F1?

Because they've failed spectacularly last season and they made ridiculous promises over the season that turned out to be nothing but hot air, smoke and fire.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Funny thing is, Honda last year would never have managed to do 150km anyway. I assume you must be limited to a day also, because they'd have been out there a month shaking the car down. :)

ruttyboy

In sport, you're only as good as your last event. I'll believe it when I see it.

Because they've failed spectacularly last season and they made ridiculous promises over the season that turned out to be nothing but hot air, smoke and fire.

Fair enough, but all the teams make promises that don't materialise constantly. Obviously they were not going to dominate in the first season of their return, but there's no reason I can see that they can't improve enough to compete.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Reports are coming in that Mercedes is having quite big airbox - looks like stronger PU needs more cooling.

After seeing the Williams I'm now a little scared that Merc are going to be even further ahead this year.

Williams has not introduced their new nose yet, though. Rumoured to be "Mercedes-style".

And obviously we won't have new front/rear wings, bargeboards, final floor, etc. until pretty much the final test or FP1 in Melbourne.

Reports are coming in that Mercedes is having quite big airbox - looks like stronger PU needs more cooling.

Interesting to see if Ferrari can beat Mercedes there. I believe their PU was more efficient last year which allowed Ferrari to run more aggressive cooling solutions.

DD

New Merc

Cbk4MnFUcAAr_X9.jpg

Fair enough, but all the teams make promises that don't materialise constantly. Obviously they were not going to dominate in the first season of their return, but there's no reason I can see that they can't improve enough to compete.

There's pep-talk and promises and then there's being delusional.

They were making promises whilst being proven wrong at exactly the same time. It was ridiculous. Farcical even.

Pretty much.

"But maybe in Monaco or Canada we will have a much better chance of getting points, and then to achieve a podium in the middle of the season - we hope.
"It is a very important home race at Silverstone - high-speed corners, average speed is so high - so we want to achieve that target by the middle of the European season."

Asked of Arai whether he felt Ferrari and Williams could be caught in 2015, he replied: "Yeah, sure."
And Mercedes? "By the end of the season we should achieve that. That is our aim, the target," responded Arai.

I don't even need to bold anything, because all of it is ridiculous.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Better quality SkySports snippet

Nose is new, winged cameras are gone

Interesting to see if Ferrari can beat Mercedes there. I believe their PU was more efficient last year which allowed Ferrari to run more aggressive cooling solutions.
Well, we will see how Ferrari improved their PU with their big changes and how much cooling will it needed. Enlarged cooling inlets on W07 and Williams are quite telling that Mercedes probably made quite a performance step for 2016

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Pretty sure winged camera are still on.

Is there an s-duct? Hard to see based on that footage. Hopefully we get better footage this afternoon.

Well, they are most certainly not using 2015 spec camera mounts (that raised ones, that served as aero device), because FIA banned those :p

Lach

So I guess this is for promotional filming?

Or is there some small testing allowed outside of the test sessions?

[edit]
found it in the sky article
Under F1's Sporting Regulations, Mercedes are permitted to run up to 100km outside of official testing on designated filming days.

ruttyboy

There's pep-talk and promises and then there's being delusional.

Pretty much.

"But maybe in Monaco or Canada we will have a much better chance of getting points, and then to achieve a podium in the middle of the season - we hope.
"It is a very important home race at Silverstone - high-speed corners, average speed is so high - so we want to achieve that target by the middle of the European season."

Asked of Arai whether he felt Ferrari and Williams could be caught in 2015, he replied: "Yeah, sure."
And Mercedes? "By the end of the season we should achieve that. That is our aim, the target," responded Arai.

I don't even need to bold anything, because all of it is ridiculous.

Seems a fairly wishy washy statement to me, lots of maybes, hope and 'targets'. What did you want them to say, "We are going to be c-tier trash all season, please understand" :D

Seems a fairly wishy washy statement to me, lots of maybes, hope and 'targets'. What did you want them to say, "We are going to be c-tier trash all season, please understand" :D

Maybe don't talk about podiums and beating Williams, Ferrari AND Mercedes, when you can't finish races due to reliability issues.

ruttyboy

Maybe don't talk about podiums and beating Williams, Ferrari AND Mercedes, when you can't finish races due to reliability issues.

He's just shooting for the moon, got to keep a brave face on it for sponsorship reasons too. Ah well, time will tell, I wish them the best.

Staab

It's a sport at the cutting edge of technology and they just waltzed in, touting all those grand figures when they couldn't even get the car to run more than 5 laps without blowing up the engine, it was just a farce.
When you're facing a difficult time you can be optimistic and "make it look good" for sponsors but still be reasonable.
Honda were just completely out of touch with reality and it lost them all credibility.
I too remain very skeptic at the figures they're announcing for 2016...

The Williams looks strangely familiar (very similar to 2015, not that it's a bad thing), more complex at the rear end but the sides are really cut down quite a bit compared to 2015, that's good news for Mercedes powered cars.

Now onto Ferrari in 5minutes, I hope they have something good in store !

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Car launches are more or like the thing of the past... why bothering with stage, audience and lots of bs talking, if you can simply upload several pics online and unveil car in person right before the first test?

Aiii

So not worth it
Why can't any of these F1 companies get some proper streaming?

I mean, YouTube is literally right there, all the servers in the world at their disposal. But no, have to have your own stream on your own website running on a single Amazon VPS, because fuck it, that can handle ten thousand simultaneous streams, right?

As a web dev I feel confident in saying that anyone responsible for this failed attempt at a live stream should be sacked instantly, you utterly suck at your job.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh look, I got a low-res glimpse at the car, looks nice with the white, actually.

screenshot2016-02-19apvoh6.png

Luckily the stream froze here so I could easily take a screenshot.

Aiii

So not worth it
I like the presentation, but for fucks sake it's ruined by the constant buffering issues. What a waste.

Tobias Grüner ‏@tgruener 4m4 minutes ago

Ferrari SF-16H: Short nose, pushrod front suspension, reshaped sidepods, narrower rear end.

tZdAxYj.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I wonder if Mercedes will release some high res photos of their car later today?

Lewis will also have a spin with a new car

Top Bottom